Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Managerial sackings, comings and goings

Comments

• Options
    siblers said:
    I hope Newcastle go down. Their treatment of Bruce was fairly horrible. 
    And give their current owners etc, it would be very funny.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    siblers said:
    I hope Newcastle go down. Their  fans treatment of Bruce was fairly horrible. Thought he did alright keeping them up
    He did horrible. First, in the last three transfer windows they were net-spenders to the tune of £125M and yet they have gotten worse. Second, Bruce now has the worst all-time PL managerial record for anyone with 100 matches under their belt. Third, his win rate the last 50 matches is 18%. Ouch! Finally, now that they are the richest club in the world, they need to step up and get a much better name. Bruce never would have made it this long anywhere else with his poor results. He is at best a Championship talent as manager.
  • Options
    siblers said:
    I hope Newcastle go down. Their  fans treatment of Bruce was fairly horrible. Thought he did alright keeping them up
    He did horrible. First, in the last three transfer windows they were net-spenders to the tune of £125M and yet they have gotten worse. Second, Bruce now has the worst all-time PL managerial record for anyone with 1000 matches under their belt. Third, his win rate the last 50 matches is 18%. Ouch! Finally, now that they are the richest club in the world, they need to step up and get a much better name. Bruce never would have made it this long anywhere else with his poor results. He is at best a Championship talent as manager.
    Do you think Bruce had any control over transfers? 

Players like Joelinton for £40m means that their net spend is completely hopeless as they just buy terrible players. 
  • Options
    siblers said:
    He did horrible. First, in the last three transfer windows they were net-spenders to the tune of £125M and yet they have gotten worse. Second, Bruce now has the worst all-time PL managerial record for anyone with 1000 matches under their belt. Third, his win rate the last 50 matches is 18%. Ouch! Finally, now that they are the richest club in the world, they need to step up and get a much better name. Bruce never would have made it this long anywhere else with his poor results. He is at best a Championship talent as manager.
    And this right here is why i cant stand all the crap around Newcastle atm.

The media and there fans saying they have been through hell under Ashley these past few years and deserve this takeover to finally get there club back 

Its hardly like Ashley hasnt been spending money
  • Options
    siblers said:

The media and there fans saying they have been through hell under Ashley these past few years and deserve this takeover to finally get there club back 

Mate there are a few clubs fans in that bracket. Man U fans at the moment moaning because they didnt sign a midfielder in the window ! Ffs they are all entitled twats
  • Options
    siblers said:
    Do you think Bruce had any control over transfers? 

Players like Joelinton for £40m means that their net spend is completely hopeless as they just buy terrible players. 
    But what part of this screams out 40m player?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2021
    siblers said:

This is my issue with football nowadays. I was listening to someone on the radio describing how Newcastle were seen as an attractive investment mainly because their financial results over the last 3 years meant new owners could come in and lose £150 million and still not fall foul of financial fair play.

The issue with that is for Newcastle owners that figure will be a drop in the ocean as it might for a few other owners. But then fans of other clubs with less wealthy (in football terms) owners then see Newcastle spending and want their owners to do the same. Owners then either risk the future of the club satisfying fans impatience for instant success by spending money they can't afford to keep up with those clubs, or they have their fans protesting and moaning about how they lack 'ambition' because they've only spent £50 million in the window and Newcastle spent £100 million.

Newcastle lost £54 million pounds last year, in any business you can understand why the owner wants to cut costs when you are bleeding that amount of money. If I owned a business losing anywhere near that amount of money I would be penny pinching as well. I'm not a Newcastle fan but I don't buy into all this stuff about how hard done to they've been, the owner has kept them afloat and they have had Premier league football for the vast majority of his time there. When they've been relegated he has put his hand in his pocket and got them straight back up. I'm only in my twenties but I don't ever remember a time when Newcastle have been particularly successful regardless of who has owned them or how much money they've spent. Has he been any less successful than any of their previous owners?

I know it's all relative but fans of Bury, Macclesfield etc no longer have a club to support. It kinds of puts things into perspective that no matter how hard done to fans feel at least we all have clubs to support.

I've posted before on the Derby thread, I live fairly nearby to Derby and know a few fans. I can tell you for a fact that every single one of them absolutely loved their owner when he was splashing the cash, they were constantly telling me what a genius he was for selling the stadium, bringing in Lamps, Rooney etc. It is only once he appears to have run out of money that they all now describe him as 'reckless'. Before it was 'ambition'. 
  • Options
    siblers said:

This is my issue with football nowadays. I was listening to someone on the radio describing how Newcastle were seen as an attractive investment mainly because their financial results over the last 3 years meant new owners could come in and lose £150 million and still not fall foul of financial fair play.

The issue with that is for Newcastle owners that figure will be a drop in the ocean as it might for a few other owners. But then fans of other clubs with less wealthy (in football terms) owners then see Newcastle spending and want their owners to do the same. Owners then either risk the future of the club satisfying fans impatience for instant success by spending money they can't afford to keep up with those clubs, or they have their fans protesting and moaning about how they lack 'ambition' because they've only spent £50 million in the window and Newcastle spent £100 million.

Newcastle lost £54 million pounds last year, in any business you can understand why the owner wants to cut costs when you are bleeding that amount of money. If I owned a business losing anywhere near that amount of money I would be penny pinching as well. I'm not a Newcastle fan but I don't buy into all this stuff about how hard done to they've been, the owner has kept them afloat and they have had Premier league football for the vast majority of his time there. When they've been relegated he has put his hand in his pocket and got them straight back up. I'm only in my twenties but I don't ever remember a time when Newcastle have been particularly successful regardless of who has owned them or how much money they've spent. Has he been any less successful than any of their previous owners?

I know it's all relative but fans of Bury, Macclesfield etc no longer have a club to support. It kinds of puts things into perspective that no matter how hard done to fans feel at least we all have clubs to support.

I've posted before on the Derby thread, I live fairly nearby to Derby and know a few fans. I can tell you for a fact that every single one of them absolutely loved their owner when he was splashing the cash, they were constantly telling me what a genius he was for selling the stadium, bringing in Lamps, Rooney etc. It is only once he appears to have run out of money that they all now describe him as 'reckless'. Before it was 'ambition'. 
    Mediocrity in the same division season after season is actually pretty boring really

The old football structure before the money became a permanent divide was healthier in some ways, as smaller clubs could win the old first division or FA Cup without spending a fortune, while big clubs could get relegated without financial ruin. It made the top flight much more fluid and less predictable

Therefore you didn't get clubs spending 10 years in the PL between 11th and 16th, which after a while does become monotonous. Or clubs like Norwich, Fulham, Watford and WBA who alternate promotion and relegation seasons - having been here 2 seasons ago, are Norwich fans really enjoying a season of being rubbish in the PL?
  • Options
    siblers said:
    He did horrible. First, in the last three transfer windows they were net-spenders to the tune of £125M and yet they have gotten worse. Second, Bruce now has the worst all-time PL managerial record for anyone with 100 matches under their belt. Third, his win rate the last 50 matches is 18%. Ouch! Finally, now that they are the richest club in the world, they need to step up and get a much better name. Bruce never would have made it this long anywhere else with his poor results. He is at best a Championship talent as manager.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    siblers said:

The average net spend under his 13-year reign is probably the lowest in the EPL. In fact, take out the last two summer windows and he was a net seller for 12 years. Also, he spent nothing on their dilapidated training ground, which is one of the worst in the EPL and he had a habit of forcing out managers the fans liked and bringing in ones they hate. Good riddance. God forbid he becomes our next owner, somehow.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Adkins gone
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:
    Atkins gone
    Who did Atkins manage?
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58964233

Newport appointed Cardiff City's first team coach James Rowberry as their manager (he started at Newport)

Yet another of the new generation of managers who had no real playing career, and instead spent their 20s in coaching before working their way up
  • Options
    Mick McCarthy has left Cardiff
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mick McCarthy has left Cardiff.
    I know he's ex-Millwall but I wouldn't mind him if Jacko doesn't work out. At least he's local.

And I know that Cardiff have just lost 8 on the bounce.....
  • Options
    Kips said:
    And another one....Chris Beech sacked by Carlisle United.

This has been coming, albeit a case of what might have been. They were top of L2 around Xmas 2020. They then had 9 games postponed in 43 days and barely played in jan 2021. They lost their way trying to play catch up and ended up finishing mid table.

This season only 2 wins leaves them 22nd.
    We can't afford Carlisle to go down, we need them back up in L1 asap, so that we can clinch promotion there!

Cloughie at Mansfield must be under pressure too
    Mansfield lost again and now in the bottom 2
  • Options
    I know he's ex-Millwall but I wouldn't mind him if Jacko doesn't work out. At least he's local.

Seen a few rumours that apparently Neil Harris is in contention to return to Cardiff City. Apparently he is still on the payroll there from his first sacking so would make financial sense if nothing else.
  • Options

Seen a few rumours that apparently Neil Harris is in contention to return to Cardiff City. Apparently he is still on the payroll there from his first sacking so would make financial sense if nothing else.
    I thought their next manager was sitting in the stands in midweek.....and it wasn't Harris.
  • Options

I thought their next manager was sitting in the stands in midweek.....and it wasn't Harris.
    Chris Wilder was there for Fulham v Cardiff
  • Options

Would be Adkins 2.0. If Adkins is a dinosaur McCarthy is whatever came before them.
  • Options

Carlisle United have appointed former Bristol City boss Keith Millen as manager on an 18-month deal.

The 55-year-old has extensive coaching experience with Crystal Palace, Blackpool, MK Dons and the Robins, as well as a spell in Sweden with Orgyte.

Millen replaces Chris Beech who left Brunton Park on 10 October, to lead a Carlisle side 22nd in League Two with just two wins from 14 games.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59050313

• Options
    Koeman gone!
  • Options
    Koeman gone!
    I'm not an expert in Spanish football, but had never even heard of the team which beat Barcelona tonight, Rayo Vallecano!
  • Options
    Koeman gone!
    I'm not an expert in Spanish football, but had never even heard of the team which beat Barcelona tonight, Rayo Vallecano!
    Good little article on them and Falcao here.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59001257