Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Managerial sackings, comings and goings

Comments

• https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58625601

Harry Kewell has been sacked by National League Barnet, after just 7 games in charge, which delivered just 2 draws

A bit of a revolving door there this year!
    So just marginally worse than Adkins.

Harry Kewell has been sacked by National League Barnet, after just 7 games in charge, which delivered just 2 draws

So just marginally worse than Adkins.
    ????

Adkins has had 19 games in charge I believe. Won 7 Drawn 5 Lost 7

Barnet have sunk like a ton weight  .. now in the relegation spots of the National League

Barnet have sunk like a ton weight  .. now in the relegation spots of the National League
    If it wasn't for the NLS and NLN season being aborted, they would have gone down last season. I can't fathom what's gone wrong there, as the club seems well run off the pitch and has a decent enough new stadium
  • Resigned according to that statement, maybe they've been offered the Barnet job?
  • Resigned according to that statement, maybe they've been offered the Barnet job?
    Or Adkins one...
  • Nottingham Forest have named Steve Cooper as head coach to succeed Chris Hughton, having agreed compensation with his former club Swansea City.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58604822
  • clive said:
    Nottingham Forest have named Steve Cooper as head coach to succeed Chris Hughton, having agreed compensation with his former club Swansea City.
    That's bizarre. Paying compensation to Swansea, despite the fact he left Swansea 2 months ago!

The article says he was under still contract with them, which is all quite confusing
  • Sponsored links:

• Bonus for Swansea, stop paying an ex-manager and get a bit of compensation.
  • Alex Neil is out of work a t m .. did well at both Norwich and PNE and then both jobs went pearish shaped .. his record overall is as good as most would be a good prospect if/when Adkins goes .. a feisty little Scot might be just what the team needs to shake it up
  • Intresting that Cooper has kept the back room staff and bought one with him. 
  • Those mentioning Alex Neil are on to something, however I was not impressed by what looked (from afar) his reactions at Preston when things started going wrong for him. Is he a good manager but a bit fragile?
    I do rate him though.
  • clive said:
    Nottingham Forest have named Steve Cooper as head coach to succeed Chris Hughton, having agreed compensation with his former club Swansea City.
    That's bizarre. Paying compensation to Swansea, despite the fact he left Swansea 2 months ago!

The article says he was under still contract with them, which is all quite confusing
    Isn’t that always how it works? The manager gets put on gardening leave until he gets a new job. I’m sure I’ve read Lampard is still being paid by chelsea. 
  • clive said:

Isn’t that always how it works? The manager gets put on gardening leave until he gets a new job. I’m sure I’ve read Lampard is still being paid by chelsea. 
    probably cheaper for the club and more tax efficient for the ex-manager than paying a big lump sum pay off
  • clive said:

He wasn't sacked by Swansea, he resigned
  • Relax girls, he's married
    Dear God he really is unpleasing on the eye.
    😳
  • clive said:

probably cheaper for the club and more tax efficient for the ex-manager than paying a big lump sum pay off
    Possibly, and most of all the clubs probably hope exactly this happens and someone else takes them on so the payments stop.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think Tony Pullis is the only manager I can ever remember actually getting sacked.  As in how people get sacked from normal jobs. 
    😳
    Mmmmmm, not a definite no, you sound like you are in the "maybe" camp  ;)  
    😳
    TBH I felt a bit guilty posting that, until I remembered he's prettier than me  ;)
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Nuno will be OK espically with Mendes effectively being the new spurs CEO.  Odd, very odd. 
    He'll get my support like every other manager but trust me, in front of a full stadium, if he sets us up to play purely on the counter attack like he has Wolves playing for the last 2-3 years in the PL, he'll be getting pelters.

As I just said to one of my mates, it goes completely against Levy's statement a few weeks ago.

...“We shall focus on the recruitment of a new Head Coach. We are acutely aware of the need to select someone whose values reflect those of our great Club and return to playing football with the style for which we are known – free-flowing, attacking and entertaining - whilst continuing to embrace our desire to see young players flourish from our Academy alongside experienced talent.”

How many academy prospects has Nuno brought through?  Gibbs-White... then who else?  

When have Wolves ever played free-flowing attacking football?

I rest my case.

I so hope I'm wrong like I was wrong with Poch.  Sigh.
    I just wanted to revisit this... not wrong was I?
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Nuno will be OK espically with Mendes effectively being the new spurs CEO.  Odd, very odd. 
    He'll get my support like every other manager but trust me, in front of a full stadium, if he sets us up to play purely on the counter attack like he has Wolves playing for the last 2-3 years in the PL, he'll be getting pelters.

As I just said to one of my mates, it goes completely against Levy's statement a few weeks ago.

...“We shall focus on the recruitment of a new Head Coach. We are acutely aware of the need to select someone whose values reflect those of our great Club and return to playing football with the style for which we are known – free-flowing, attacking and entertaining - whilst continuing to embrace our desire to see young players flourish from our Academy alongside experienced talent.”

How many academy prospects has Nuno brought through?  Gibbs-White... then who else?  

I rest my case.

What makes the appointment of Nuno even more bizarre are the comments this week from Fonseca saying he was pretty much agreed as manager, had started planning signings etc (so clearly Levy wanted him) but then the new guy Paratici came in and everything changed as he felt Fonseca was "too attacking" and wanted a more conservative manager.

Why would anyone not want their team to be attacking?
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I rest my case.

What makes the appointment of Nuno even more bizarre are the comments this week from Fonseca saying he was pretty much agreed as manager, had started planning signings etc (so clearly Levy wanted him) but then the new guy Paratici came in and everything changed as he felt Fonseca was "too attacking" and wanted a more conservative manager.

totally.  Its what Spurs are known for.  To dare is to do and all that sha-bang FFS.

Anyhow, maybe absolutely nothing in it, but it appears Ryan Mason was still at the training ground at 10:30pm last night.  He posted a strange Insta story saying 'see you all soon'.  Might be worth a cheeky bet on for caretaker manager very soon.

• edited September 2021
    JohnBoyUK said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I rest my case.

totally.  Its what Spurs are known for.  To dare is to do and all that sha-bang FFS.

Anyhow, maybe absolutely nothing in it, but it appears Ryan Mason was still at the training ground at 10:30pm last night.  He posted a strange Insta story saying 'see you all soon'.  Might be worth a cheeky bet on for caretaker manager very soon.

JB, would you be happy if Mason had another stint in charge? From the outside, I can’t see that he could do any worse than Nuno ? 
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I rest my case.

JB, would you be happy if Mason had another stint in charge? From the outside, I can’t see that he could do any worse than Nuno ? 
    Happy?  Not sure happy is the right word because I dont particularly want any manager to fail but Nuno is already in the last chance saloon I think.  If he doesnt get a result against Villa on Sunday (which I'm going to, more fool me!) then he's going to be a goner.  He would be the obvious candidate to fill in and he is Spurs through and through.

• Former #cpfc manager Peter Taylor is the new manager of Welling United.

• Former #cpfc manager Peter Taylor is the new manager of Welling United.
    Incredibly experienced manager, amazing that he started at Dartford 35 years ago