Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Karl Robinson Press Conference - Snippets from pg.4

Comments

• Options
    Not replying to anyone, I don't get the idea that's a risk for KR to take the job, that it's an impossible job or that we're a basket case on the pitch.

We're currently 2/3 points off the playoffs with a game in hand (ok ignore that last bit). We've lost 2 out of the last 10 league matches and have the 4th best defensive record in the league.

As a potential manager, I'd say that was a pretty attractive scenario to inherit from a sacked manager. Only a month to the transfer window as well, where he'll no doubt try and bring some players in (his record and style of football at MKD will help in getting in loan players).

And if it all goes horribly wrong, then most people in football will blame in RD and KM anyway!
  • Options
    jdmotion said:

Point of order: Why can't you 'like' a comment and 'lol' a comment?

Forget that. I guess if you lol, then it's taken for granted you like.
    But not the other was round.

So much to learn, so little time.

Unless it's a sarcastic 'lol'. Sometimes it's hard to tell :wink:
  • Options
    jdmotion said:

@i_b_b_o_r_g perhaps you want to answer this
  • Options
    seth plum said:

As interviews go that was a pretty good one.

Nothing in that interview about Congo Chris, or any of the coaching set up beyond a mention of Steve Avory, so I am not sure when he said anything yesterday about Richie Barker or COL.

He also spoke of transfers being decided by a kind of committee of which he will be part, and sensibly mentioned that there are always money constraints. This area might well be of huge significance I would suggest.

Karl got all dreamy when contemplating plans and exciting times ahead and aims and all that stuff, and he is sold on the Duchatelet way by the sound of it. Right now the job ahead for Karl certainly ought to be about big dreams, and I hope when reality kicks in he can deliver.

I actually believe he is a step up from Russell Slade as a manager, and certainly as an interviewee, and I really want him to deliver success.

At the very least, divorcing from the bigger picture, it is going to be interesting what he does on a football level and I am looking forward to seeing what he is made of on that side of his job.

A touch of editing maybe ? .................... but there again that wasn't the press conference was it, it was just the club "interviewing" ( :smiley: ) him surely ? A couple of columns in the Standard tonight & Robinson is quoted as saying "he was sold by the owners vision for the club" When are they going to share this vision with the customers ? Oh I forgot they have, The liar told us our aim is to get back to the Championship as soon as possible.
  • Options
    jdmotion said:

You got it in a nutshell
  • Options

_MrDick said:

The negativity on here is getting tiresome; fewer and fewer people talking in ever decreasing circles. Let this be a breath of fresh air into not only the club but this forum. Move on. Support the team and manager and think the only time they are going to sell is when they have finished the training ground development and got into the championship.

I'm negative because the regime have made me negative. Never felt so disconnected as a Charlton fan. Not even the dark days of the 70''s and 80's have left me feeling like this
    I agree. However, we choose our moods, without possibly realising it.

We can choose to be happy or miserable.

We can choose to be positive or negative.
    Is that right ? Well that's all mental health issues sorted out then.
    What a ridiculous comment
  • Options

jdmotion said:

You got it in a nutshell
    And you can take that as read and cased closed
  • Options
    Very impressed by what he had to say and he made a point of saying they agreed to all of his demands. Whether he got it in writing though is another matter!!

But i'd like to think the demands included full control over player signings, Lookman not sold until the summer, and decent money to spend in January. If that happens i think KR can take us back up.
  • Options
    As I suspected, I quite like him now that he's ours. A bit of the verbal diahorrea here and there but enthusiastic and likeable. I suspect he's swallowed a bit of the RD/KM twaddle but he's much less immersed in all of this than we are so that's perhaps understandable. The bit that worried me was the "transfer by committee" thing. We know it goes on but it always seems worse when it's confirmed. I suspect KR may not have the casting vote (he may or may not have been given to understand that he has). If we are stuck with our regime for a while longer, then we may as well have a manager/style of play that we can get more enthusiastic about than Russell and his turpitude. I'm a little more optimistic than I was this time last week but I won't be asking Santa for a half season ticket.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I like the fact that he hinted he would be an expansive manager. Apart from the fact that I think it suits our players, I think it is the way football should be played. Unless you are playing clearly superior sides, you gain more points trying to beat opponents 3-0 every game IMO.

What really got me against Swindon was my theory on Slade was that he would play the team he did. He had his hands tied, but he could have been imaginative, but he proved he didn't have it in him. If he had tried a different formation I would have been fine and blamed the result on missing players.

I start out having more confidence about Robinson than Slade. I sort of knew what Slade was like. I don't say Slade didn't or doesn't have qualities, if he was behind the signing of Magennis, that was a massive one! But he is too cautious and has zero imagination tactically. I think Robinson does in this respect.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    From reading his interviews and getting former players involved. This is the first time I feel like we have a real manager since Chris Powell. It will be a tough job working with these owners but I wish him all the best.
  • Options
    I think he's very forthright and doesn't suffer fools or shirkers gladly. Perhaps just perhaps he is the person to lick Katrien into shape.

Apologies for the image.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

The negativity on here is getting tiresome; fewer and fewer people talking in ever decreasing circles. Let this be a breath of fresh air into not only the club but this forum. Move on. Support the team and manager and think the only time they are going to sell is when they have finished the training ground development and got into the championship.

I'm negative because the regime have made me negative. Never felt so disconnected as a Charlton fan. Not even the dark days of the 70''s and 80's have left me feeling like this
    Well, here's a thought, give it a chance then Dick and it may make you feel better? Failing that, you may find this helpful: Free Phone - 116 123
  • Options
    cabbles said:

jdmotion said:

You got it in a nutshell
    And you can take that as read and cased closed
    There does need to be a "wtf?" button though...

Though I may be more than normally intellectually challenged.
  • Options

Hard not to like him. When we signed Lennie I thought we would go to the dogs. Thought the appointing of Curbs and Gritt was disastrous. Nearly wet myself when we got Pardew. So I know absolutely nothing! It's all about loads of hard work, lots of skill and a huge portion of luck. KR is soon going to find out that the majority of fans (imo) would rather get rid of Duchatelet than win promotion. That is quite a negative! Still, good luck to him.

Where are you getting that stat from?

Doubt very much that that is true.
    which stat? If you mean 'KR is soon going to find out that the majority of fans (imo) would rather get rid of Duchatelet than win promotion' then count me in.
  • Options

jdmotion said:

You got it in a nutshell
    Not even any looking into it going on.

• Options

I like the fact that he hinted he would be an expansive manager. Apart from the fact that I think it suits our players, I think it is the way football should be played. Unless you are playing clearly superior sides, you gain more points trying to beat opponents 3-0 every game IMO.

What really got me against Swindon was my theory on Slade was that he would play the team he did. He had his hands tied, but he could have been imaginative, but he proved he didn't have it in him. If he had tried a different formation I would have been fine and blamed the result on missing players.

I start out having more confidence about Robinson than Slade. I sort of knew what Slade was like. I don't say Slade didn't or doesn't have qualities, if he was behind the signing of Magennis, that was a massive one! But he is too cautious and has zero imagination tactically. I think Robinson does in this respect.

Easily said. Under his tenure, Dons had as many 1-1's and 0-0's and narrow losses as we have under our 'managers'. Anyone can promote a certain type of playing but a) it needs an energetic and non stop midfield and b) when push comes to shove he'll want support for our lb/rb and our strikers to help win the ball.

He's a good manager at this level, but he has ignored the vital signs of where he will struggle. That to me, makes him a silly man. It's a pay day for him none the less, and can't really go wrong as the real blame will rightfully be attached to the owner, so he's just gone for it.
  • Options

Not replying to anyone, I don't get the idea that's a risk for KR to take the job, that it's an impossible job or that we're a basket case on the pitch.

We're currently 2/3 points off the playoffs with a game in hand (ok ignore that last bit). We've lost 2 out of the last 10 league matches and have the 4th best defensive record in the league.

As a potential manager, I'd say that was a pretty attractive scenario to inherit from a sacked manager. Only a month to the transfer window as well, where he'll no doubt try and bring some players in (his record and style of football at MKD will help in getting in loan players).

And if it all goes horribly wrong, then most people in football will blame in RD and KM anyway!

Spot on IMO - what's known in snooker as a shot-to-nothing
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm excited by him being our manager
  • Options

piss easy decision for anyone who has little care for the club. thought the same with slade. anyone who turns up will be in the safe position of knowing if they fail it will be blamed on the owners. if they do well then it will be in despite of the owners. either way you'll be out of the job in 6 months or so with a nice pay off.
  • Options
    Robinson has agreed to meet East Kent addicks on the 19th Jan ... perhaps we can educate him about the protests and problems there?
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

Robinson has agreed to meet East Kent addicks on the 19th Jan ... perhaps we can educate him about the protests and problems there?

east kent addicks? weren't they the regime apologists?
  • Options
    How patient is he?
  • Options

sammy391 said:

You're thinking of T20k although you could be right about that lot too. Both groups get rid of members that don't toe the party line.
  • Options
    Nug said:

sammy391 said:

You're thinking of T20k although you could be right about that lot too. Both groups get rid of members that don't toe the party line.
    EKA have definitely got a few that I know of.
  • Options

sammy391 said:

Can't he meet the Bromley Addicks? Jimmy Seed lived in Bromley. So therefore it makes sense.
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

For real?
  • Options

sammy391 said:

For real?
    Yes posted on another site recently which is now in lockdown.