Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Karl Robinson Press Conference - Snippets from pg.4

Comments

• Options
    On the COL issue, Karl is reported as saying he wants to keep him around to pick his brains as much as anything. On the face of it, that is a good line to take which wasn't reported yesterday (still awaiting the 17 minute full press conference).
    I still have some doubts, but am prepared to take it at face value that there is some reasoning established regarding Congo Chris.
    Of course there is the unconfirmed report that Congo Chris interviewed Karl. and Karl reportedly had a long chat with Roland, who has known Congo Chris longer than Karl Robinson.
    So the first task is to get fit bodies out there, and win on Saturday.
  • Options
    To be honest, If I met him and got on with him I would consider keeping him on if I was Robinson as he knows the owner better than I do.
  • Options

I cant see how Lookman is going to get cheaper in the summer - we can't replace him and he gives us an edge.

He's a gamechanger and could well be the difference between promotion and another year in this division.
  • Options

To be honest, If I met him and got on with him I would consider keeping him on if I was Robinson as he knows the owner better than I do.

In the tent pissing out.......................
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Am I correct in thinking that O'Loughlin has his Pro licence ? If I am then at least as far as his paperwork goes he's more qualified than a lot of managers are. Does Robinson ? Clark ? Nugent ? How many managers in general are less qualified ?

Now I'm not saying that having that piece of paper makes CO'L the next Wenger or Guardiola but it does show commitment and should attract some respect. Perhaps Robinson is doing just that. Respecting the credentials of the man and thinking that yes I could potentially learn something from him.

So have suggested that KR is arrogant. From what I've read and heard so far nothing seems further from the reality.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZyRWSYCCVA … #cafc
    Full conference here.
  • Options
    I'm told by a reliable source that COL wasn't involved in interviewing KR.

Cuckoo Chris might well be a good coach who KR sees value in keeping around.

KR may also be following the old adage of keep your friends close but your enemies closer.

As I said before Karl comes over as a bit savy with all this media lark.
  • Options

Yes, but the proof of the pudding is always in the eating. We gave Slade time and he needs the same.

Poor pudding :'(

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Am I correct in thinking that O'Loughlin has his Pro licence ? If I am then at least as far as his paperwork goes he's more qualified than a lot of managers are. Does Robinson ? Clark ? Nugent ? How many managers in general are less qualified ?

Now I'm not saying that having that piece of paper makes CO'L the next Wenger or Guardiola but it does show commitment and should attract some respect. Perhaps Robinson is doing just that. Respecting the credentials of the man and thinking that yes I could potentially learn something from him.

So have suggested that KR is arrogant. From what I've read and heard so far nothing seems further from the reality.

O'Loughlin might attract an ounce of respect had we not been through the Karel Fraeye and Guy Luzon eras and he wasn't the latest parachuted in from the network. He's not there on merit is he.
  • Options

I'm told by a reliable source that COL wasn't involved in interviewing KR.

Cuckoo Chris might well be a good coach who KR sees value in keeping around.

KR may also be following the old adage of keep your friends close but your enemies closer.

As I said before Karl comes over as a bit savy with all this media lark.

I think you're right there.
  • Options
    An optimistic scenario in my book would be if KR gets momentum, has the players and fans behind him and strikes up a relationship with RD that trumps his relationship with Daisy. KR side-lines Mowgli and we have an entirely different regime.

Could KR usurp Daisy’s role? KR would have to have 100% trust from Roland, but why not. She would be off like a shot at the first sign rather than allow any perceived failure mess up her contrived CV.

A strategy to support KR to the hilt while undermining Daisy might work. Our letters to Roland might just be a start.

Unlike Daisy, Roland has something to give – money - and I could live with a rich hermit who leaves the football aside alone, shows respect to the fans, to the club, and leaves us to define what match day experience we want.

The protests have been about Roland out, because it’s the means to an end - getting our Charlton back. From the latest utterings Roland clearly hasn’t got a clue what is going on, so we might find room to give him some slack and try the divide and rule approach so we only throw the dirty contaminated bath water out.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Hardly anybody on here has intimated that we should not give him a chance, but I remember back in the mist of time that Jose Riga in his first press conference that it was natural or normal for fans to be suspicious of a new manager. Riga did not ask to be given a chance but invited people to judge him on results.
    My vibe is that people here want Robinson to be successful, but as a support we have been so battered and bewildered it is no surprise Robinson isn't being given a blank cheque.

The difference though is that Riga was a complete unknown, with no experience of English football, who was brought in as Roland knew him already, and wanted someone to do things his way (allegedly).

Robinson is someone with experience of English football, and indeed of managing one of our rivals for the last season and a bit. He has far less baggage.
  • Options
    I always like a bit of positivity around the new manager. After all they may have learned from their mistakes.

Doesn't mean I want RD, KM and TK to leave any less now.

I don't think it is possible for them to run the club in an acceptable manner. But miracles do happen and making the club more attractive for a sale is all good with me :-)
  • Options
    sammy391 said:
    He needs to understand that the fans are united - it is the regime that are the odd ones out. I'm afraid I am distinctly underwhelmed - Slade made rather more noises about being in charge and making the decisions. Robinson has a history of working for chairmen who do not understand a club's history and traditions - I see little evidence that he recognises that he now is at a club where such things matter.
  • Options
    sm said:

sammy391 said:
    He needs to understand that the fans are united - it is the regime that are the odd ones out. I'm afraid I am distinctly underwhelmed - Slade made rather more noises about being in charge and making the decisions. Robinson has a history of working for chairmen who do not understand a club's history and traditions - I see little evidence that he recognises that he now is at a club where such things matter.
    Robinson has only worked for MK Dons as a manager and they have no history and tradition to understand.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Interesting comments here:

..... from someone who has sat in a couple of his press conferences while he was at MK, I feel Robinson is more humble and thoughtful than many often perceive.

But he is also outspoken and brutally honest, something that after the last few yes men at Charlton could prove refreshing.

The 36-year-old doesn’t seem to be someone who will take kindly at being told what to do by those upstairs.

That forthright attitude may mean he receives the tools he needs to get Charlton fans back a side they can be proud of.

Alternatively, it could mean he tests the patience of the trigger happy owner Roland Duchatelet very quickly and the Belgian decides to put Charlton back to where they usually are by March – managerless.

wharf.co.uk/sport/what-karl-robinson-could-really-12239282
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

sm said:

sammy391 said:
    Robinson has only worked for MK Dons as a manager and they have no history and tradition to understand.
    They did before they were moved against the wishes of the fans.
  • Options
    sm said:

stonemuse said:

sm said:

sammy391 said:
    They did before they were moved against the wishes of the fans.
    That wasn't them ... AFC Wimbledon are, proudly, a different club.
  • Options
    sm said:

sammy391 said:
    1. Sorry, but the fans aren't united, far from it.
    2. So he managed MK Dons. I doubt he gave the club's history, or lack thereof, much thought. It's was just a good opportunity for him.
    I think you're looking for reasons to not be cheerful.
  • Options
    I can well imagine that KR is happy to keep CO'L around, until he gets his assistant appointed.

If Richie Barker is Caretaker Manager at MKD, it could be a good few weeks before they release him, if they release him at all and then we'd have to approach someone else.

All seems sensible to me & I'm not naive enough to realise there are other possible reasons.

• Options

An optimistic scenario in my book would be if KR gets momentum, has the players and fans behind him and strikes up a relationship with RD that trumps his relationship with Daisy. KR side-lines Mowgli and we have an entirely different regime.

Could KR usurp Daisy’s role? KR would have to have 100% trust from Roland, but why not. She would be off like a shot at the first sign rather than allow any perceived failure mess up her contrived CV.

A strategy to support KR to the hilt while undermining Daisy might work. Our letters to Roland might just be a start.

Unlike Daisy, Roland has something to give – money - and I could live with a rich hermit who leaves the football aside alone, shows respect to the fans, to the club, and leaves us to define what match day experience we want.

The protests have been about Roland out, because it’s the means to an end - getting our Charlton back. From the latest utterings Roland clearly hasn’t got a clue what is going on, so we might find room to give him some slack and try the divide and rule approach so we only throw the dirty contaminated bath water out.

I could live with a rich hermit, if she looked after all my needs
  • Options
    I'm positive about Robinson, especially the idea that he'll play better football. Not convinced by what he has said about O'Loughlin.

To keep his job he'll need to win promotion this season and be comfortable in the Championship next season. For that to happen we need to improve the squad in January including keeping our better players, and keep improving the squad each window. Hard to see all that happening under RD.