Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New fiver not suitable for vegetarians.

Comments

• Options
    Fiiish said:

Hex said:

iainment said:

@Iainment. You knew this was going to happen when you started this thread, didn't you?

I have to say when I was a veggie I didn't mention it unless I couldn't avoid it as inevitably some pompous twat would have to point out all the things I was doing / wearing that didn't fit their definition of being a veggie.

The pompous meat-eating twats wanted to make me out a hypocrite.
    The pompous vegetarian twats wanted to be a more authentic vegetarian than I was.

I thought it was something worth a chat about really. It's more about the law of unintended consequences and as such probably more fundamental to Hindus, Jains and Sikhs who absolutely cannot handle these fivers.
    As someone mentioned above there was a war about the use of tallow in India.
    As mentioned on R5 this morning, McDonalds changed the coating on their fries from one containing animal fats to one containing wheat. So making lifestyle-choice vegies happy but putting two fingers up to those who can't have gluten!
    See, this doesn't actually make people happier, if anything it makes them more miserable.

Veggies were perfectly happy to eat at Maccy's until they found out the fries were coated in animal fat.

Veggies were perfectly happy to use fivers until they found out that a trivial part of the process includes using a by-product of animal slaughter.

Veggies are quite happy to eat veggie sausages but they might get annoyed if they find out they were cooked in the same oven as the meat products ("the animal fat could splash on them!"). It takes a certain kind of sociopath to be annoyed at someone for feeding you.

Ignorance truly is bliss. I make a conscious effort to shop ethically and to avoid products from countries with questionable political or human rights or employment issues, but if I buy a box of cereal and find out that the glue used to seal the box lid involves a compound from one of the countries I am trying to avoid, how annoyed am I going to be? Not very, certainly not enough to boycott that brand since probably every other product on the shelf will have the same issue. It's almost impossible to be an 100% ethical consumer unless you source everything directly from the producer. If you get annoyed by trivial parts of the manufacturing process then just be thankful you have nothing else to worry out if that's what sets you off.
    Which is why I said earlier I try to not knowingly consume meat or use products made from dead animals.
    I didn't know so it wasn't an issue. I know now so it has become an issue for me.
  • Options
    Some real ale is produced using fish products, sorry vegans..

:)
  • Options
    Most real ale used isinglass. There are moves within CAMRA to get more vegetarian real beers and stop using isinglass and egg white to fine the beer.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

iainment said:

@Iainment. You knew this was going to happen when you started this thread, didn't you?

I have to say when I was a veggie I didn't mention it unless I couldn't avoid it as inevitably some pompous twat would have to point out all the things I was doing / wearing that didn't fit their definition of being a veggie.

The pompous vegetarian twats wanted to be a more authentic vegetarian than I was.

I thought it was something worth a chat about really. It's more about the law of unintended consequences and as such probably more fundamental to Hindus, Jains and Sikhs who absolutely cannot handle these fivers.
    I hope they never use pavements or roads then.
    Oh go on then. You've mentioned the roads and pavements twice. Tell us ;0)

• Options
    795 million people don't have enough food to eat on a daily basis.

Just saying.
  • Options

Just saying.

Yeah, we need to go the shops thinking about it
  • Options

Fiiish said:

iainment said:

I hope they never use pavements or roads then.
    Oh go on then. You've mentioned the roads and pavements twice. Tell us ;0)

Like most everyday products, some form of by-product of the meat industry has gone into the final product. Whilst not all forms of paving use these, there's no guarantee what does and does not contain dead animal. This isn't really a secret either. But if handling fivers is a "sin" then surely so does using anything else.

Vegans and veggies, it is practical to draw the line somewhere as modern society makes it impossible to be 100% compliant in non-animal product use. The religious objections though make no sense - I'm pretty sure no holy text says "you're allowed to break this rule if it becomes inconvenient". Not sure how the scaremongering by whoever was on the news yesterday was helpful to anyone, all it has done is left various faith followers hurt and confused for no real reason. A useful clarification of the "rules" from a recognised authority would have been better than a rant from a hysteric.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not really. Some animals have no choice. Cats have to eat meat. So that's what you give them, if you have them as a pet. Dogs can live healthily on a veggie diet.
    I wasn't yet a vegetarian when we got our cats, and will keep them until they die.
    Then we will have to think about what to do.
  • Options
    iainment said:

Not really. Some animals have no choice. Cats have to eat meat. So that's what you give them, if you have them as a pet. Dogs can live healthily on a veggie diet.
    I wasn't yet a vegetarian when we got our cats, and will keep them until they die.

I'd recommend a rabbit, but then I'd wanna eat that
  • Options

iainment said:

But dogs do eat meat. It's natural for them and yet you impose your food predelictions onto them. They don't get a choice.

I've never owned a dog.
  • Options
    iainment said:

There is a joke in there, but on the grounds of taste I decided not to share it.
  • Options

Just saying.

Are you arguing for a vegan diet that would free up land (is no animals needed) to grow crops for people to eat?
  • Options

Just saying.

Are you arguing for a vegan diet that would free up land (is no animals needed) to grow crops for people to eat?
    Then domesticated animals farmed for meat only won't have any value at all and will die out. Then the anyone who don't quite understand the issue will be crying while ginger bollocks off Countryfile tells everyone how great he and his dad are for keeping the breed alive, even though it costs em dough to keep em

Why don't people except that this is how the world is? If one doesn't want to eat summin for ANY reason, don't eat it, but don't also try and make up some stupid argument against others that do..
  • Options

I've decided to give up eating vegetables. Is there any way, in view of my new lifestyle choice, that we can produce meat that tastes like vegetables?

If I feed my Quayle on raisans for s few weeks before nixin em, they taste a bit like raisans
  • Options
    Petrol and diesel comes from dead animals (as well as plants) so I assume veggies walk everywhere ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Just saying.

Then domesticated animals farmed for meat only won't have any value at all and will die out. Then the anyone who don't quite understand the issue will be crying while ginger bollocks off Countryfile tells everyone how great he and his dad are for keeping the breed alive, even though it costs em dough to keep em

Why don't people except that this is how the world is? If one doesn't want to eat summin for ANY reason, don't eat it, but don't also try and make up some stupid argument against others that do..
    'Ginger bollocks' - that made me smile! He's such a smug bastard
  • Options

Just saying.

'Ginger bollocks' - that made me smile! He's such a smug bastard
    They've all even got a smug walk on that program
  • Options
    Hex said:

Petrol and diesel comes from dead animals (as well as plants) so I assume veggies walk everywhere ?

I cycle.
    But obviously for most of us there are compromises we have to make. I try to live as much as possible without consuming animals or using stuff made from dead animals.
    Maybe I'm not 100% there but I strive for that.
    That's all really.
  • Options

Don't tell Seth.

seth plum said:

I would imagine it's possible to use some other material, it seems to be available.

http://dkcorporation.tradeindia.com/synthetic-tallow-1488985.html

That has been my only post here, until now.

Must say it has been an unexpected entertainment to see the same old ground being gone over again, although this time with a bit more edge, indeed more bite if I may use that term. To read that effectively being vegetarian makes one a sociopath was a particularly amusing addition to the usual debate we have about vegetarianism on here.

Carry on.

• Options
    I only deal in 50s
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Don't tell Seth.

seth plum said:

I would imagine it's possible to use some other material, it seems to be available.

http://dkcorporation.tradeindia.com/synthetic-tallow-1488985.html

That has been my only post here, until now.

Must say it has been an unexpected entertainment to see the same old ground being gone over again, although this time with a bit more edge, indeed more bite if I may use that term. To read that effectively being vegetarian makes one a sociopath was a particularly amusing addition to the usual debate we have about vegetarianism on here.

Carry on.

Will you avoid the new fiver?
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I'll exchange all the unwanted fivers.
    What do you want?
    I've got cock 'n hens, bulls eyes, ponies or a monkey!