Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New fiver not suitable for vegetarians.

Comments

• Options
    Well that meal of breaded chicken with buttered 5ers was disgusting.

I'm going to go back to spinach going forwards.
  • Options

For what it's worth. I have huge respect for people who won't eat meat for animal welfare reasons. It's not for me but huge respect.

Why is that then?

I don't hold anything against people who don't eat certain foods for whatever reason, but why do you have huge respect for veggies?
    Cos we're cool as f***!
    Thing is, this is exactly how his post come over to me
    What I mean is that I admire anyone that takes animal welfare so seriously that they are prepared to change their lifestyle to prove it. I would never harm any animal but I doubt I could give up eating meat. Much of me wishes I could.
    I'm sure that if more people looked into where their meat comes from, they'd feel a lot better about staying with eating it rather than going over to be vegetarian. But then IMO, the biggest problem is that meat, in the UK in particular, is far too cheap when you consider what it is and the time and investment that goes into it.

I don't care if we've reared it, if I've shot it or if we've bought it in, that piece of meat gets treated with my utmost respect and nothing gets wasted. My only major argument I've ever had with my Mrs was when we had to throw a whole prepared chicken away because it was left out on the side.

Finally, IMO ethically farmed animals for meat have it best in every way, they're fed, watered and taken care of when they're sick; and then when they're dispatched they know nothing about it, there's no suffering and they gotta go sometime after all, just like the rest of us
    Maybe the Tamworth two had an inkling.

http://www.pighealth.com/reviews/tamworth.htm
  • Options
    seth plum said:

For what it's worth. I have huge respect for people who won't eat meat for animal welfare reasons. It's not for me but huge respect.

Why is that then?

I don't hold anything against people who don't eat certain foods for whatever reason, but why do you have huge respect for veggies?
    Cos we're cool as f***!
    What I mean is that I admire anyone that takes animal welfare so seriously that they are prepared to change their lifestyle to prove it. I would never harm any animal but I doubt I could give up eating meat. Much of me wishes I could.
    I'm sure that if more people looked into where their meat comes from, they'd feel a lot better about staying with eating it rather than going over to be vegetarian. But then IMO, the biggest problem is that meat, in the UK in particular, is far too cheap when you consider what it is and the time and investment that goes into it.

I don't care if we've reared it, if I've shot it or if we've bought it in, that piece of meat gets treated with my utmost respect and nothing gets wasted. My only major argument I've ever had with my Mrs was when we had to throw a whole prepared chicken away because it was left out on the side.

Finally, IMO ethically farmed animals for meat have it best in every way, they're fed, watered and taken care of when they're sick; and then when they're dispatched they know nothing about it, there's no suffering and they gotta go sometime after all, just like the rest of us

Posting without watching, but I take it it's a nasty video of a pig suffering?

What's your story Seth, where would you like to see the future go regarding humans the world over eating meat?
  • Options
    The richer the population, the more meat is included in the diet.

Farming meat is a larger drain on already depleted world resources than farming veg.

A combination of both is, I think, possible to sustain a growing and hungry world ecosystem where humans are the drivers of change.

Why plant one crop when you can plant three layers the augment each other.

Animal growth should also be considered in a sustainable farmed environment.

My limited biology training suggests that sustainable ecosystems are better to develop than unsustainable ones.

With the main issue being that nature does no better than the human meddlers and we can always get it wrong.
  • Options

The richer the population, the more meat is included in the diet.

Farming meat is a larger drain on already depleted world resources than farming veg.

A combination of both is, I think, possible to sustain a growing and hungry world ecosystem where humans are the drivers of change.

Why plant one crop when you can plant three layers the augment each other.

Animal growth should also be considered in a sustainable farmed environment.

My limited biology training suggests that sustainable ecosystems are better to develop than unsustainable ones.

With the main issue being that nature does no better than the human meddlers and we can always get it wrong.

So what you saying?

; )
  • Options

seth plum said:

Why is that then?

Cos we're cool as f***!

What's your story Seth, where would you like to see the future go regarding humans the world over eating meat?
    That's what I expected, on the contrary it's quite a light hearted story about 2 pigs that escaped an abattoir, went on the run and then given a new life.
  • Options

seth plum said:

Why is that then?

Cos we're cool as f***!

No it isn't a nasty video at all, quite the opposite I would suggest.

The future? What I would like?

What I would like is a bit radical.

For all children to be brought up as vegetarians until they're old enough to understand where meat comes from and they witness the process. If they then want to eat meat then they probably will.

I lot of people say they won't bring their children up in a religion until they are old enough to understand (for Christians it usually means not baptising their children), and then if they want to be religious then off they go.

Trusting children, as they have always done for thousands of years, open their mouths and accept the food without question. The motivation of those who feed them is nurturing and loving no doubt about that, but for me it feels weird when those same nurturers playfully sing Old MacDonalds Farm, or take the kids out to feed or pet the animals, tell sweet animal stories, give the kids cuddly animal toys and conceal (not coldly or deliberately) from those kids what eating meat means.

Well you did ask, and I accept mine is a minority view.

On a side note, i was on the bus and heard a 16 year old girl say to her mate, 'Anchovies! I thought they grew on trees and were a pizza topping, I had no idea they were fish'.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Why is that then?

Cos we're cool as f***!

For all children to be brought up as vegetarians until they're old enough to understand where meat comes from and they witness the process. If they then want to eat meat then they probably will.

I lot of people say they won't bring their children up in a religion until they are old enough to understand (for Christians it usually means not baptising their children), and then if they want to be religious then off they go.

Trusting children, as they have always done for thousands of years, open their mouths and accept the food without question. The motivation of those who feed them is nurturing and loving no doubt about that, but for me it feels weird when those same nurturers playfully sing Old MacDonalds Farm, or take the kids out to feed or pet the animals, tell sweet animal stories, give the kids cuddly animal toys and conceal (not coldly or deliberately) from those kids what eating meat means.

On a side note, i was on the bus and heard a 16 year old girl say to her mate, 'Anchovies! I thought they grew on trees and were a pizza topping, I had no idea they were fish'.
    Rather than raise them as vegetarians until they learn the process, why not raise them as ethical eaters completely. I'd rather kids ate ethically source meat than vegetables with a massive carbon footprint or where pesticides are used that poison the land and rivers. There's absolutely no difference between eating ethically sourced pork and ethically sourced cabbage from a morality perspective. To raise kids as vegetarian is forcing a lifestyle choice on them.
  • Options
    If we're meant to only eat vegetables, why do we have incisors and canines?

Why is our stomach capable of processing meat?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Well I've read through six pages of this thread about fivers containing meat and not seen a single recipe for them. I guess I'll just fry one and stick it between two slices of bread with some HP sauce. They better taste good at £5.20 a sandwich :-)

HP???

everyone knows its red sauce with sterling!
  • Options

Well I've read through six pages of this thread about fivers containing meat and not seen a single recipe for them. I guess I'll just fry one and stick it between two slices of bread with some HP sauce. They better taste good at £5.20 a sandwich :-)

HP???

everyone knows its red sauce with sterling!
    No that's with dollars, mayonnaise with euros and Houses of Parliament sauce with sterling :-)
  • Options

Seems like a good opportunity to publicise this excellent annual event...

ANIMAL AID'S CHRISTMAS FAYRE 2016

Sunday 4th December
    10am to 5pm
    Kensington Town Hall, Hornton Street, London W8 7NX
    Admission £2.

A vast number of organisations, some selling gifts, others food and drink. Charities, music, lectures and debate. Sceptical? Unsure? Come along and see what's what. I might even buy you a beer.

animalaid.org.uk/images/pdf/xmasfayres/CWCprogramme2016.pdf

it's a date, i'll bring the pork scratchings
  • Options

Yo, ho ho. As if I care what you do.

why are you so angry Anna?
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Why is that then?

Cos we're cool as f***!

Rather than raise them as vegetarians until they learn the process, why not raise them as ethical eaters completely. I'd rather kids ate ethically source meat than vegetables with a massive carbon footprint or where pesticides are used that poison the land and rivers. There's absolutely no difference between eating ethically sourced pork and ethically sourced cabbage from a morality perspective. To raise kids as vegetarian is forcing a lifestyle choice on them.
    I kind of don't see vegetarianism as a kind of lifestyle, well not like being a punk or a politico or something. It seems to be about what you are in a way, or what you become. I find it hard to imagine ever eating meat or fish again. I also have a fear that when I go fully doolally and end up in some care home or other, that some not that bothered person will give me fish or meat to eat and I won't know. That of course speaks directly to what you said about the incongruity of objecting to somebody who is trying to offer you nutrition. I must be the only person who thinks this way I suppose.
  • Options

The only way to stop humans from eating animals is to ensure they are no longer made of meat.

Or stop breeding them for meat and use the space to grow enough food for everyone perhaps?
  • Options
    I have experienced real hunger, like days without eating ( clearly not as extreme as some other people), and I suppose if I were stranded in a jungle or something the hunger would drive me to eat an animal.
  • Options

The only way to stop humans from eating animals is to ensure they are no longer made of meat.

Or stop breeding them for meat and use the space to grow enough food for everyone perhaps?
    So you're genuinely suggesting that we could do this?

How are these crops going to be protected against parasites? Because as soon as you start killing parasites, it kind of goes against the whole idea of what you might be suggesting.

And what about other pests species like deer and rabbits etc.? Should we control them, because again, if we do, it goes against the fundamental point of this idea, except this time, we may as well eat them as otherwise it's a complete waste. Or should we stick up 6 foot fences throughout the entire countryside, thus stop the movement of animals like deer, that's really ethical and humane too ain't it?!

ffs
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Crops are actually grown these days with all the challenges you describe.
  • Options

You mean just breed them for their leather, feathers et al? That, to me, seems like an awful waste of meat.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Crops are actually grown these days with all the challenges you describe.

Yes, and animals need to be controlled for it to happen.
  • Options
    Not sure how crops would be protected against the likes of wood pigeon and carrion etc., or I spose we could just cover the entire country side with nets, stopping non pest bird species being able to feed along the way. Please keep these ideas coming...
  • Options
    Animals need to eat too I get that, I suppose a plague of locusts can wipe out an entire crop in extreme circumstances, but it is probably possible to exist in harmony with animals even if we have to share the stuff we grow with them.
    I read that it takes an acre and a half to feed a carnivore for a year, but a third of an acre to feed a vegetarian.
    I don't know how accurate those figures are, but I would suggest they're not far off.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Animals need to eat too I get that, I suppose a plague of locusts can wipe out an entire crop in extreme circumstances, but it is probably possible to exist in harmony with animals even if we have to share the stuff we grow with them.
    I read that it takes an acre and a half to feed a carnivore for a year, but a third of an acre to feed a vegetarian.
    I don't know how accurate those figures are, but I would suggest they're not far off.

What I'm saying is, as soon as any animal is killed to promote the growth of these crops, the entire theory behind it is blown to bits. And IMO, you would not be able to grow crops on the scale you are suggesting without controlling animals.

Also, what about conservation? Deer need to be controlled to promote a healthy population and a healthy country side. Rabbits will get out of control if left. What would happen to these animals?