Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Will Youtubers charity match be the biggest gate at the Valley this season?

1234568»

Comments

• Options

Surely the club shop refit could wait a week or two?
    They've got until August to do it anyway.

Just another example of poor planning from the club.
    Still, I'm sure there's a UOG student that is at fault for this.

Just to confirm, the club shop isn't run by the club and is essentially in 'closing down' mode. There's very little stock to shift as it's just what's left of the Just Sport merchandise before the hummel deal kicks in and the new shop reopens.

Did you see how many sidemen shirts were shifted yesterday?
    I reckon thousands judging from the amount of people wearing them in the crowd, it's just a missed opportunity from the club.
    Do you really think that the kids would have bought Charlton tops instead of or as well as Sideman tops ?
    Not a chance in hell. They were absolutely nuts for these YouTubers. The tills would have been empty sadly.
    They wouldn't have been empty.
    There were thousands knocking around two hours before the game even started, given SE7's lack of attractions away from the football stadium, I'd wager many would of at least had a look in there before the turnstiles opened. Were the refit not taking place then Opening up could have been profitable, but it could not of been profitable, worth a try in any case.
  • Options
    As much as it seemed that a lot of kids enjoyed the event and some money was raised for charity. I can’t help thinking that the freaks running the club, will sign up one of these YouTubers, in the deluded thought it will swell gates (Didn’t Doncaster sign up some X factor bod?)
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Just to confirm, the club shop isn't run by the club and is essentially in 'closing down' mode. There's very little stock to shift as it's just what's left of the Just Sport merchandise before the hummel deal kicks in and the new shop reopens.

Wish I could just go into 'closing down mode' in my job.

Whilst I understand the club don't run the store, I Still don't really get your point ?
    It was only last week the email was sent out displaying the items on sale, there was plenty on offer and on top of that any non just sport merch could be shifted, which is no bad thing.

I reckon thousands judging from the amount of people wearing them in the crowd, it's just a missed opportunity from the club.
    It was a charity game for god's sake! Selling our clubs stuff for a profit would have been very distasteful! I believe that all the Sidemen shirts profit went to charity, so comparing charity raising sales to profit making is ridiculous.

Josh, I get the impression that you're a tad aggrieved this morning?
    Bloody Monday's eh?!
    Would you be happy for the club to make a profit during a charity event? Assuming you join in with the boycott of not buying things at the club, is this now okay as long as young children's parents who don't support the club are funding RD?

Just fed up with the hypocritical comments on here to be honest.

Can't even be proud of the club helping out a charity event these days without the club receiving criticism.
    Amazing,
    I think if you look through my posts you can see I've been supportive of the event since he details were released a few months back.
    I've even played against Tobi and Manny and thanked them after the game for selecting CACT as a beneficiary.

I understand you're still upset after ChrisMD humiliated your boys yesterday, but there's no need to be, it's for charity after all ;)
  • Options

Been a bit of a strange reaction to all this by some of our fans.

Not the first time our grounds been used for charity games and the fact it sold out can only be positive.

People sitting at home getting angry about it, why?

100% this

• Options
    edited May 2017

Much as I enjoyed being in a packed Valley again, I was less keen on having to queue up to get in the station afterwards and then giving up and walking to North Greenwich because South Eastern didn't run more than 2 trains an hour!

I got home just after 12 Midnight! The police were releasing people from the street to get onto the London bound platform one train at a time but didn't have a clue just how many people can fit on a train. They were being over cautious and letting trains go half full when there were still hundreds queuing up down the road.
    A 5.30 kick off was ridiculous for a Sunday too.
  • Options
    whatever else you might say about yesterday, am sure our players would love to be on even half of what these guys earn on Youtube....astronomical sums...
  • Options

Whilst I understand the club don't run the store, I Still don't really get your point ?
    It was only last week the email was sent out displaying the items on sale, there was plenty on offer and on top of that any non just sport merch could be shifted, which is no bad thing.

There is no 'non-Just Sport' merch. Every bit of it is owned by Just Sport.
    I expect their issue with opening the shop on Sunday was that they didn't want to cover the costs of opening up on a 'non-working day', just days before they depart for good.
    Charlton are, understandably, not a priority for them and it was decided it was not worth their while to open up.
    I agree that any opportunity to shift anything with our badge on is a good one, but ultimately it didn't come down to the club's decision.
    @Ollywozere Any reason there were no announcements during the game? Thought it was odd that scorers, subs etc went unannounced. Also there was a minutes silence for something at the beginning but had no idea what it was for. I would expect for a charity/fun game like this that would have been a given. Only announcement was at the end telling a bunch of kids they were being videotaped for being on the pitch.
  • Options
    Just had a look Nug, it sort of started as silence but quickly changed to a minutes applause. It was for PC Keith Palmer
  • Options
    Nug said:

I expect their issue with opening the shop on Sunday was that they didn't want to cover the costs of opening up on a 'non-working day', just days before they depart for good.
    Charlton are, understandably, not a priority for them and it was decided it was not worth their while to open up.
    I agree that any opportunity to shift anything with our badge on is a good one, but ultimately it didn't come down to the club's decision.
    @Ollywozere Any reason there were no announcements during the game? Thought it was odd that scorers, subs etc went unannounced. Also there was a minutes silence for something at the beginning but had no idea what it was for. I would expect for a charity/fun game like this that would have been a given. Only announcement was at the end telling a bunch of kids they were being videotaped for being on the pitch.
    No idea on that side of things. It was all done by the YouTubers. Apparently they had their own pitchside announcer, but I'm told she didn't actually announce anything. No idea why.
  • Options

Just had a look Nug, it sort of started as silence but quickly changed to a minutes applause. It was for PC Keith Palmer

Fair enough, shame they didn't announce it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Been a bit of a strange reaction to all this by some of our fans.

Not the first time our grounds been used for charity games and the fact it sold out can only be positive.

People sitting at home getting angry about it, why?

Some of our fans have become bitter and twisted about everything Charlton.

I've been saying it for a couple of years. Criticise when it's warranted, but don't criticise everything, when it's not warranted.
  • Options

Nug said:

No idea on that side of things. It was all done by the YouTubers. Apparently they had their own pitchside announcer, but I'm told she didn't actually announce anything. No idea why.
    She looked hot, that's the main thing :wink:
  • Options
    Could the club shop sell other merchandise relevant to the event? If it's a load of old stick in there, surely that could have been put somewhere else for the day. I think the club missed a trick there.
  • Options

• Options
    Not sure it was a remembrance round of applause. Thought it was the players thanking those who turned up to watch and the sponsors of the event (which flashed up on the screen during it).

Can't believe more has not been made of the stewarding during the invasion. Saw several youngsters bring manhandled very aggressively by stewards after hundreds had already broken through.

Comment of the day from the strange family behind me: "It's more or less the same as Anfield really"

Followed by "So do Charlton play regular football then?"

• Options
    edited May 2017

Not sure it was a remembrance round of applause. Thought it was the players thanking those who turned up to watch and the sponsors of the event (which flashed up on the screen during it).

Can't believe more has not been made of the stewarding during the invasion. Saw several youngsters bring manhandled very aggressively by stewards after hundreds had already broken through.

Comment of the day from the strange family behind me: "It's more or less the same as Anfield really"

A couple of the Sideman players were extremely aggressive towards the kids also.
    Sadly they forget easily how they have become so wealthy.
  • Options

A couple of the Sideman players were extremely aggressive towards to kids also.
    Sadly they forget easily how they have become so wealthy.
    Yep I saw that, one actually kicked out at a kid on the pitch thankfully he missed him. The Karl Robinson look-a-like who ran on during the game got manhandled by one of the players but when I read in the programme he was a Millwall fan surprised he was so upset about a pitch invader.
  • Options

johnny73 said:

Apart from the numbers this is no different to celebrity football matches which used to be a regular thing when I was a kid. Remember a game at Erith & Belverdere where Dennis Waterman was meant to be the main attraction. Rode down on my bike to see him and he didn't turn up!

Yes, but I bet there wasn't 27k there, sold out within hours of the tickets going on sale, and another 500k watching it on tv.

Its akin to the Stones & the Who turning up to play football against each other. Sold out if they were playing their instruments but not football.
    I think only 26,000 seats were made available for sale.
  • Options
    Returning to The Valley for 2018

And you thought a potential takeover was exciting!!!!