Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• SE7toSG3 said:

SE7toSG3 said:

***Note this is not a dig at Lee Bowyer who I support and am very happy to have been made permanent manage****

“I’m not going to just sell to anybody, because I care about the club’. Those were his words. He didn’t have to say that."
    11 Sept 2018

12 Sept 2018

Well thats going well!
    Since when was Lee Bowyer the owner?
    Am I wooshed? I dont get it
    Nope, whooshed myself, sorry, nothing to see here.
  • Croydon said:

All things considered, I think the lad Fawaz was worth a punt - #teamfawaz

You're one of the most vocal anti-Aussie posters on here, but would be happy to take a punt on someone who has been a proven failure in English football?
    I genuinely don't think he'd enter football again to make the same mistakes as he did before and after what he's said about learning from them, and also getting the right people in to run things, all things considered, I'd choose Him over the Aussie consortium all day.

If it's a choice between him and Roland I'd take him tbh.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37662227

Imagine Roland doing this video and admitting he wasn't good enough and apologising.
  • forest144 said:

Dazzler21 said:

forest144 said:

Thanks for the input @forest144 , much appreciated.

I didn't want to be too negative and just read it back!

It could have ended up differently at Forest, he did have bad luck at times and he had the financial clout to get us to the Prem but it never happened and after the third year there was no going back.
    It looked like in the final two years things fell apart for Fawaz at NFFC.

Since he sold up and this Greek fella came in, it looks like you finished last season in 17th... A very slight improvement and then this season you're currently in 14th... an admirable improvement.

In the Fawaz years you finished as follows:
    16/17 in 19th (A league above us)
    15/16 in 16th (15 Points ahead of us)
    14/15 in 14th (1 point behind us & our only decent year under Duchatelet)
    13/14 in 13th (14 FOURTEEN points ahead of us)
    12/13 in 8th (two points ahead of us) The O'driscoll sacking was just bizarre.

I think you had a rough ride with him but don't think you understand just how bad Roland is.

Since being relegated Roland continued a reign of terror when he gutted the club and left us scraping a 'top of the bottom half' 13th and then we made the play offs last season, but Roland didn't fund the strength in depth required to get us over the line.

Roland has been spiteful and destructive since he came in and that has taken us from being in the fight for Championship play offs to fighting to stay in the top half of League One... Fawaz saw he could do no more, you needed a new owner and sold you within a year.

Ours is clinging on out of spiteful delusion, like a bit of shit clinging to a clump of bum hair.

We have been trying to sell for over a year apparently and looked further than ever until this and the last rumour.

We're having to now go through the pain of ripping those bum hairs out and praying for a marginally less shit owner to bring us back to where we could and should be under any other owner... Even Fawaz
    I know how bad Roland is, I said that in my opening statement - that at least Fawaz occasionally gave a shit and cared, which Roland doesn't appear to do.

The damage Fawaz did was mostly in the background. Skeleton backroom staff and players with huge, inflated wages just miraculously dissapearing (see Matty Fryatt, Jack Hobbs, many more). He also didn't sell the club on the cheap. He spent a long time trying to sell it, three deals fell through and he only really got out because there were lots of buyers queuing up. There was a Guardian article on Fawaz' demands when selling, he wanted to stay on as Chairman and recieve a salary of over £1m for doing so.

He will probably be an improvement, but how much? Especially if he has run out of money. Football to him is a hobby and a way to keep away from the family business.
    How much did he buy and sell Forest for ?
  • Everybody wants the Boro bloke to.own them naturally. Maybe why someone wants a club is a more fundamental question than whether they would be any good at it.
    Vincent Tan had had ups and downs.
    I note the Macleish name has cropped up again.
  • jac52 said:

Croydon said:

All things considered, I think the lad Fawaz was worth a punt - #teamfawaz

You're one of the most vocal anti-Aussie posters on here, but would be happy to take a punt on someone who has been a proven failure in English football?
    I genuinely don't think he'd enter football again to make the same mistakes as he did before and after what he's said about learning from them, and also getting the right people in to run things, all things considered, I'd choose Him over the Aussie consortium all day.

Imagine Roland doing this video and admitting he wasn't good enough and apologising.
    He seems sane, which is one plus.
  • what's he worth money wise?
  • what's he worth money wise?

50p and a lb of grapes?
  • This is almost exciting
  • Sponsored links:

• forest144 said:

Dazzler21 said:

forest144 said:

Thanks for the input @forest144 , much appreciated.

I didn't want to be too negative and just read it back!

It could have ended up differently at Forest, he did have bad luck at times and he had the financial clout to get us to the Prem but it never happened and after the third year there was no going back.
    It looked like in the final two years things fell apart for Fawaz at NFFC.

Since he sold up and this Greek fella came in, it looks like you finished last season in 17th... A very slight improvement and then this season you're currently in 14th... an admirable improvement.

In the Fawaz years you finished as follows:
    16/17 in 19th (A league above us)
    15/16 in 16th (15 Points ahead of us)
    14/15 in 14th (1 point behind us & our only decent year under Duchatelet)
    13/14 in 13th (14 FOURTEEN points ahead of us)
    12/13 in 8th (two points ahead of us) The O'driscoll sacking was just bizarre.

I think you had a rough ride with him but don't think you understand just how bad Roland is.

Since being relegated Roland continued a reign of terror when he gutted the club and left us scraping a 'top of the bottom half' 13th and then we made the play offs last season, but Roland didn't fund the strength in depth required to get us over the line.

Roland has been spiteful and destructive since he came in and that has taken us from being in the fight for Championship play offs to fighting to stay in the top half of League One... Fawaz saw he could do no more, you needed a new owner and sold you within a year.

Ours is clinging on out of spiteful delusion, like a bit of shit clinging to a clump of bum hair.

We have been trying to sell for over a year apparently and looked further than ever until this and the last rumour.

We're having to now go through the pain of ripping those bum hairs out and praying for a marginally less shit owner to bring us back to where we could and should be under any other owner... Even Fawaz
    I know how bad Roland is, I said that in my opening statement - that at least Fawaz occasionally gave a shit and cared, which Roland doesn't appear to do.

The damage Fawaz did was mostly in the background. Skeleton backroom staff and players with huge, inflated wages just miraculously dissapearing (see Matty Fryatt, Jack Hobbs, many more). He also didn't sell the club on the cheap. He spent a long time trying to sell it, three deals fell through and he only really got out because there were lots of buyers queuing up. There was a Guardian article on Fawaz' demands when selling, he wanted to stay on as Chairman and recieve a salary of over £1m for doing so.

He will probably be an improvement, but how much? Especially if he has run out of money. Football to him is a hobby and a way to keep away from the family business.
    How much did he buy and sell Forest for ?
    Sold it for £50m it seems. Can't find anything about what he paid for it though. Forest finished 19th the year before he bought them so he hasn't been as disastrous as Roland.
  • Dave2l said:

One question and one question only.

I understand absolute f*ck all about business and the buying and selling of football clubs

The only thing I know of is that Roland's a twat.

The question is;

Is the new apparent person of interest that may end up becoming our new owner a good or a bad thing?

The bloke that owned notts forest

Nottingham Forest and Notts County. Forest are the city of Nottingham club. Notts County are the County club.

Just saying.

• forest144 said:

Hi, I'm a Forest fan and I tried to comment yesterday when the picture was first posted to try and give you a bit of background and context to Fawaz. I don't know if there is anything to this "takeover" so excuse me if I ramble, there is a lot to talk about.

Firstly, I think the Forest fans warning you off need context of your situation. Fawaz would be an improvement on your current guy because at the very least he will pretend to care and will have good intentions for a while. That's about it though.

His naivety is malicious, and he will no doubt tell you that he's "learnt from his mistakes", but we heard it in a press release every 3 months, just after he made a blunder. He spent his final 2 years telling us he would introduce a footballing structure, CEO, whatever else but to no avail. The ones he had before that had either resigned or been sacked.

I see Hassan has been brought up, the fact he is involved would suggest he hasn't changed. The guy was a scoreboard operator at al Qadsia (his club in Kuwait), and came to Forest as an unofficial CEO (because he would fail the fit and proper persons test), he was under investigation several times but nothing came of it. He pretty much is al-Hasawi's "eyes and ears". To show his naivety and his incompetence, he would buy footballs from the local ASDA as he thought the football league were charging too much, and he would take money from the club shop to buy toilet roll.

It's all a bit doom and gloom so far but there is something I noticed in the picture, which is his cousin Omar al Hasawi. It's an utterly bizarre case, he started as the Chairman at Forest for the first 6 months, it was going really well. He put a squad together with Sean O'Driscoll in 6 months that got us on the edge of the playoffs, things were looking professional and they were showing ambition. Then, Omar disappeared. Quite literally. Nothing from the club, he just vanished and Fawaz took over as Chairman. A few years later it emerged Omar sued the family (or the other way around, I can't remember), so if he is involved, it could surely be a positive? - Fawaz' first actions were sacking O'Driscoll after a 4-2 win against Leeds and in 7th place, then appointed Alec McLeish, who left within a couple of weeks after having a load of Kuwaiti players pushed on him (and various other things) then he brought in Billy Davies after a clamor for his return on social media.

Davies was then given full control and was running Forest like Kim Jong Ill, banning everybody, sacking long serving staff and putting his suspended lawyer cousin in place as a Director. Here is a piece about his time here: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/24/billy-davies-nippy-sweetie-nottingham-forest

He then brought in Stuart Pearce and an Aston Villa CEO to repair the damage, Pearce was an absolute club legend here, he backed him in the market, we were sat top after 6 games and 6 months later he was sacked, and the CEO had resigned. Then came the transfer embargo and no investment years, for his final 2 and a half years the club was run on player sales (constantly lying to managers about it) and it appeared the money had dried up. Someone mentioned that he is worth over 1 billion - not a chance. He invested a lot but he earnt most of it back through player sales and the sale of the club.

In came Evangelos Marinakis of summer 2016, somebody with a dodgy history but a proven track record of running a club. The takeover was at an advanced stage and it looked like he would struggle to pass the FPP test so Fawaz panicked, sold Oliver Burke for £13m without telling anybody and the deal went kaput. Marinakis came in and employed the manager (Montainer) and a DoF (Pedro Pereira), two pretty big names at the time, but it quickly became clear there was no money available and they didn't understand the English game. The result of that was a huge batch of free foreign players that weren't up to scratch. About 3 weeks into the season Fawaz came out and said Montanier wasn't his manager (nice vote of confidence) and the whole season turned out to be an absolute mess. An American consortium came in and offered Forest fans lots of good things, new stand on the ground, Gary Rowett in as head coach with a proper structure above him, that deal was all but done, but again - the plug was pulled. Not even the American's knew why. Few months later, after just surviving relegation, Marinakis came back in and completed the takeover. It's taken us a year but we are a properly run club again.

Don't get me wrong, he doesn't have a relegation on his CV - but that was because investment in the early years. We had a decent squad and the academy saved Fawaz several times. Had he stayed longer we would have been relegated.

Fawaz' time here is a case of backing the wrong man, bad timing and incompetence. The first year or two were decent, but it turned into a disaster. Maybe he has learnt, if he does take you over that's what you would have to hope. However, I don't think he's going to invest huge amounts. I don't particularly think he has much money, and he would use the money he got from the Forest sale to fund you.

Oh, and if you have local businesses involved at your club, they won't get paid on time, you will get taken to court a lot and your players will always get paid late. Unless he introduces a structure.

Jesus. Hadn’t realised Forest had been in such a mess! Thanks for the insight.

• edited September 2018
    seth plum said:

Everybody wants the Boro bloke to.own them naturally. Maybe why someone wants a club is a more fundamental question than whether they would be any good at it.

you're about as clued up on this as you are on Brexit.

McLeish is currently the Scotland manager & his name has only appeared on here (from what I've read) in relation to the fact he was one of the Forrest managers during Fawaz's reign. His name has not been mentioned in any other context........unless you've heard differently.
  • I think he spent £122m just running the club for five years then got £50m back.Burke money of £15m put into forest he said.
  • Anyone looking to buy us will be trying to figure out a profit. Only way to make money in football is to get promoted into the prem. We are long odds to say the least, as there are much bigger clubs than us in the Championship. Slightly prefer Farwaz to Duchatelet but that's like saying I'd prefer my middle finger cut off rather than my whole arm!
    Never understood why Roland bought us in the first place: some kind of notion to make a cluster of football clubs pay for themselves but still be successful whimsy. Flawed concept that has failed miserably.
    Not many big to medium clubs have owners who started off as fans. Wheelan (Wigan) and Gibson (Boro) are amazing and the Bolton owner who blew 100 million, blimey! Does he regret that now?
    Our dilemma re getting a new owner may indicate that at long last that football clubs generally are going to have to readajust their spending, to avoid going bust. At least Duchatelet saved us from the spivs and possible administration but not many of us are going to thank him for that.
  • seth plum said:

Everybody wants the Boro bloke to.own them naturally. Maybe why someone wants a club is a more fundamental question than whether they would be any good at it.

McLeish is currently the Scotland manager & his name has only appeared on here (from what I've read) in relation to the fact he was one of the Forrest managers during Fawaz's reign. His name has not been mentioned in any other context........unless you've heard differently.
    The Scottish Muir story?
    He popped up at the valley?
    No?
  • jac52 said:

To be honest Fawaz is a decent bloke and his heart is in the right place. He isn't selfmade, he uses his families money so he doesn't have much business acumen and he didn't have much experience of football so he isn't an expert in that either. That's where it went wrong for him.

what's he worth money wise?

Hard to tell, because it's not his money it's his families. He came to Forest promising the third star and showing off his huge vintage sports car collection (which he sold a few years ago) and showing off his huge house in Kuwait, saying he could have brought Real Madrid or Man Utd if he wanted too. Problem is, he seemed to completely run out of money in the third year at Forest, a lot of people rightly assume he wanted to be under embargo so he didn't have to invest any money, so god knows how much he is actually worth.
  • seth plum said:

The Scottish Muir story?
    He popped up at the valley?
    No?
    Right he was at The Valley at one point, apparently has a long standing affection for us, and was rumored to be part of the Muir consortium. There was real of him taking a DoF or chief exec type role of that had gone through, but I think that may have just been speculation on here.

That said, just because he was Forest manager under Fawaz doesn't mean there's a tie in. A lot of people were manager under him.
  • Anyone looking to buy us will be trying to figure out a profit. Only way to make money in football is to get promoted into the prem. We are long odds to say the least, as there are much bigger clubs than us in the Championship. Slightly prefer Farwaz to Duchatelet but that's like saying I'd prefer my middle finger cut off rather than my whole arm!
    Never understood why Roland bought us in the first place: some kind of notion to make a cluster of football clubs pay for themselves but still be successful whimsy. Flawed concept that has failed miserably.
    Not many big to medium clubs have owners who started off as fans. Wheelan (Wigan) and Gibson (Boro) are amazing and the Bolton owner who blew 100 million, blimey! Does he regret that now?
    Our dilemma re getting a new owner may indicate that at long last that football clubs generally are going to have to readajust their spending, to avoid going bust. At least Duchatelet saved us from the spivs and possible administration but not many of us are going to thank him for that.

The problem is that fans want a local owner and genuine fan to take the club over, but they also want the owner to be filthy rich and splash the cash.

Such people are incredibly rare, Jack Walker being the best example I guess.

You can run a club with community/joint ownership at breakeven like Wimbledon, but realistically could go no higher than L1 (or Championship relegation fodder) as everyone else will be paying higher wages and running at a loss
  • Sponsored links:

• forest144 said:

jac52 said:

To be honest Fawaz is a decent bloke and his heart is in the right place. He isn't selfmade, he uses his families money so he doesn't have much business acumen and he didn't have much experience of football so he isn't an expert in that either. That's where it went wrong for him.

what's he worth money wise?

Hard to tell, because it's not his money it's his families. He came to Forest promising the third star and showing off his huge vintage sports car collection (which he sold a few years ago) and showing off his huge house in Kuwait, saying he could have brought Real Madrid or Man Utd if he wanted too. Problem is, he seemed to completely run out of money in the third year at Forest, a lot of people rightly assume he wanted to be under embargo so he didn't have to invest any money, so god knows how much he is actually worth.
    So, a sort of Kevin Cash MkII then? If his family get fed up and pull the plug, it all goes pear-shaped?
  • Anyone who thinks Fawaz would be anything short of catastrophic wants their heads examined..... if it looks like a turd acts like a turd and when you step in it smells more rank than you could ever imagine...... then its a turd you don't ever want to come across.
    #getrolandout ..... but not for just about anybody
  • Fawaz Al Hasawi and Family

Fawaz like his brothers Abdulaziz and Omar Al-Hasawi belongs to one of the wealthiest families in Kuwait whose business interests are in property, hotels and air conditioning. Recently Fawaz Al Hasawi was in news for his takeover of Nottingham Forest Football Club which currently plays in the Football League Championship. Though no public estimation of the Al Hasawi wealth exists, Fawaz’s personal fortune is estimated to be around £1.4 billion3.

Fawaz has been the president of Kuwaiti club Qadsia which has won the past four domestic championships. He resigned from Qadsia in early 2012 and then became actively involved in the acquisition of the tier-II English soccer club – the deal was completed in July 2012.

• Anyone who thinks Fawaz would be anything short of catastrophic wants their heads examined..... if it looks like a turd acts like a turd and when you step in it smells more rank than you could ever imagine...... then its a turd you don't ever want to come across.
    #getrolandout ..... but not for just about anybody

Not sure that fits the remit I've seen some of the leading lights saying.

"Anyone but Roland" has long been bandied about.
  • So if his own wealth is £1 .4 billion?,what is his family wealth?.
  • edited September 2018
    Other than pics do we know if he has actually even put in an offer? We had pics of the Aussies with scarfs at an actual match. Which is a lot more than this. And that led to nothing. So this may mean less than we think.
  • SE7toSG3 said:

***Note this is not a dig at Lee Bowyer who I support and am very happy to have been made permanent manage****

“I’m not going to just sell to anybody, because I care about the club’. Those were his words. He didn’t have to say that."
    11 Sept 2018

12 Sept 2018

Well thats going well!
    I think the only thing Roland meant when he said that to Bowyer was...

“I am not going to just sell to anybody, because I would have done that by now. I am going to sell to someone who will pay me the most money. But I will say that I care about the club because I haven’t sold to just anybody, and because the one who pays me the most money will also have enough funds going forward which makes me look like I care even more.”
  • If he doesn’t have his own money, just access to his family’s, then I would hope that would be enough to fail the FPP test. That scenario would put the club at risk if his family decided to stop giving him money.

But if he really has over a billion of his own money, and can prove it, I can’t se any reason they would turn him down.
  • If he doesn’t have his own money, just access to his family’s, then I would hope that would be enough to fail the FPP test. That scenario would put the club at risk if his family decided to stop giving him money.

But if he really has over a billion of his own money, and can prove it, I can’t se any reason they would turn him down.

Estimated personal wealth of £1.4 Billion. No idea how accurate that is.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!