Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Dazzler21 said:
    And here lies our biggest problem. 

Everyone that seems to want to buy us, probably won't have the funds to give us stability let alone challenging for play offs 
    To be fair I'd take stability in the Championship even if it means we cant challenge for the Play-Offs

Even if it means the likes of Lapslie and Morgan etc. get sold in the future I wont mind, provided that its for what they're worth and that money gets put back into the squad and invested properly

An approach pretty much like what Brentford and Bristol City are doing these days
    like how Curbs built the club. I would be very very happy to go back to that model and be the championship for 8 odd years building. 
    I'd honestly be happy to stay in the Championship now for the majority of my life

If only it meant we could finish top two or end up winning the Play-Offs without being promoted I'd be quite happy
    I understand that sentiment but, in my view, there has to be a sense of ambition in the club and from its fans. That it is building (sometimes rebuilding), growing and improving. Or it could all feel very stale after a short while. That’s why we always remember so fondly the Curbs years and the journey we were on then. 

• Sheffield Utd didn’t gamble either 
  • Davo55 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    And here lies our biggest problem. 

Everyone that seems to want to buy us, probably won't have the funds to give us stability let alone challenging for play offs 
    To be fair I'd take stability in the Championship even if it means we cant challenge for the Play-Offs

Even if it means the likes of Lapslie and Morgan etc. get sold in the future I wont mind, provided that its for what they're worth and that money gets put back into the squad and invested properly

An approach pretty much like what Brentford and Bristol City are doing these days
    like how Curbs built the club. I would be very very happy to go back to that model and be the championship for 8 odd years building. 
    I'd honestly be happy to stay in the Championship now for the majority of my life

If only it meant we could finish top two or end up winning the Play-Offs without being promoted I'd be quite happy
    I understand that sentiment but, in my view, there has to be a sense of ambition in the club and from its fans. That it is building (sometimes rebuilding), growing and improving. Or it could all feel very stale after a short while. That’s why we always remember so fondly the Curbs years and the journey we were on then. 
    Is very true and think we should always aim for a return to the Premier League though - Its not a League I'm bothered about though, the money being thrown about up there is eye watering, especially as we could spend £30m - £40m of the money that comes with promotion and even that would be questionable as to whether we can survive or not...
  • Searching for positives but I do wonder if in the coming weeks if this latest round of takeover spec fades away whether the budget will then be scaled up.

i know Roland is an idiot, impossible to second guess and his approach to everything has been wrong, but he has never positioned a manager to set the squad up to fail and pretty much post-Powell backed his manager / recruitment team.

At the moment it is clearly woefully short and even he isn’t that stupid to know that an absolute disaster of a season will offer zero help in his attempts to offload the club. 

I don’t agree but I understand where his rationale is coming from: the club is more attractive to purchase the lower it’s outgoings and contractual commitments. But he’ll also know that if it’s not sold in the next month he is stuck with it again for another year and a disaster of a year will not just undoubtedly bring him personal grief and  dire publicity but also less chance of achieving near his valuation.

thoughts?
    Is it much lower than last season though

i.e. This year we've signed Bonne for £200k (?), we werent able to sign anyone for a fee last year

Instead it was all loans apart from Taylor and Pratley who joined on a free

Feels in a way as though he's just carrying on from that aspect yet was happy to pay money for Bonne as he's young and has potential to be sold on for a greater sum
  • what is making us all think the takeover with dalman has fallen through? 
  • 1823, it is believed William Webb Ellis invented rugby when he picked up a ball and ran with it during a game of football.

• Sheffield Utd didn’t gamble either 
    Burnley also can be thrown in.
    It can be done we have to always hope and believe that is why its so tough supporting.
    Thats why i was so happy when Leicester won the premier league i really was happy for the fans of that club that went through shit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Searching for positives but I do wonder if in the coming weeks if this latest round of takeover spec fades away whether the budget will then be scaled up.

i know Roland is an idiot, impossible to second guess and his approach to everything has been wrong, but he has never positioned a manager to set the squad up to fail and pretty much post-Powell backed his manager / recruitment team.

At the moment it is clearly woefully short and even he isn’t that stupid to know that an absolute disaster of a season will offer zero help in his attempts to offload the club. 

I don’t agree but I understand where his rationale is coming from: the club is more attractive to purchase the lower it’s outgoings and contractual commitments. But he’ll also know that if it’s not sold in the next month he is stuck with it again for another year and a disaster of a year will not just undoubtedly bring him personal grief and  dire publicity but also less chance of achieving near his valuation.

thoughts?
    Agree on most what you said, but on the bit highlighted, I think any buyer (or their team) worth their salt would see pretty quickly that the club is being run on a skeleton budget and that the accounts are giving a bit of a false representation of reality going forward. 

Not sure if anyone's ever bought a business, but in the description, the agent usually lists areas where business could be improved e.g., a website, longer opening hours etc. As far as I can see, the only way Charlton's immediate finances could be improved is to win back the goodwill of the fans and sell a shed load of season tickets and, long term, obviously a push for the Prem / a couple of decent cup runs 🤣. Plus I think the odd decent transfer in or out would help an all
  • Do we know what sort of dough Dalman has ?
    Is he a Gerard Murphy type who puts it all together or is he super duper rich enough to spunk dough on buying a football club for ego 
    I'm not sure I've heard anyone 100% certain Dalman has more money than sense or is he more Tony Jiminez than Sheikh Mansour
    We know he had enough money that he was personal friends with Muammar Gaddafi and almost bankrolled MG’s purchase of ManU. Makes me think he has enough money to work our well for us.
    He wasn’t the buyer it was MG who was from what I have read .

so once again he’s the fluffer 

yes he he has contacts , so did Jiminez , so does Gerard Murphy and so did Peter Risdale .

I’m still not sure what Mehmet brings “cash” wise to the table 
    As rich as Tan, apparently.
    Source?

According to the unreliable interweb Tan is worth USD820 million 

So maybe less than Andrew Muir who we "know" doesn't have the money.
    There is no point having the money if you don't want to spend it on Charlton.
    RD has the money as well, so what ?
  • edited June 2019
    Do we know what sort of dough Dalman has ?
    Is he a Gerard Murphy type who puts it all together or is he super duper rich enough to spunk dough on buying a football club for ego 
    I'm not sure I've heard anyone 100% certain Dalman has more money than sense or is he more Tony Jiminez than Sheikh Mansour
    We know he had enough money that he was personal friends with Muammar Gaddafi and almost bankrolled MG’s purchase of ManU. Makes me think he has enough money to work our well for us.

yes he he has contacts , so did Jiminez , so does Gerard Murphy and so did Peter Risdale .

Source?

Who said that we "know" Muir doesn't have the money?
    No one that I'm aware of.
    But we know he doesn't want to spend enormous sums the same as RD doesn't, which is why they have been and still are looking for investors.
  • what is making us all think the takeover with dalman has fallen through? 
    I read someone last night stating he was walking because there was more debt than he was advised about previously.

If that's the case he wants to sack the guys who did hid due diligence because with a company of this size there should not be a paperclip not accounted for!
  • Wow,514 new posts!! I wonder if there's any fish puns?
    Is the Tope a Catholic ?

• Wow,514 new posts!! I wonder if there's any fish puns?
    Is the Tope a Catholic ?

Something fishy about that pun? 
  • edited June 2019
    Reality biting for Bowyer I suspect. Yes he knew the budget because he told us it would be low before he signed his contract. I am thinking that he’s now realising that signing those players that he and Gallen have identified is massively more difficult than he expected. He hasn’t got a few years experience of wheeler dealing in the lower leagues to fall back on  and was nieve to say last week that four or five would be signing by today. I’m sure a couple sign but we’ve lost out on at least two targets. Today might tell us a lot.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2019
    Do we know what sort of dough Dalman has ?

Source?

Who said that we "know" Muir doesn't have the money?
    No one.

You must be joking.  People have been saying the Aussie haven't got the money for months and years.  Muir is part of the Aussie group.
  • Swisdom said:
    what is making us all think the takeover with dalman has fallen through? 
    I read someone last night stating he was walking because there was more debt than he was advised about previously.

If that's the case he wants to sack the guys who did hid due diligence because with a company of this size there should not be a paperclip not accounted for!
    I think the implication is that his DD identified debt not shown in the accounts supplied. Not really surprising given what we have heard from the Jimminez trial etc. The historical accounts seem to in a right mess and only a fool (like Rolly) would buy the club until they are fully resolved or contingency’s put into the deal to cover them.

Source?

Exactly but justifying Dalman as a sound bet when he has less money then Muir, who "hasn't got the money" makes no sense.  That's what.

thoughts?

The more I think about it believe what was said by David white that RD never wanted auto go up, when you think of the expense needed to be competitive in the championship let alone to try and go up where atleast 10 other clubs will spend 70-100 mil to get out of the league 

players cost more , agents cost more ,etc 

if your selling the club club the last thing you want is more cost 

for that reason I expect him to not invest or back bows anywhere near what is needed 

you also have players and agents not willing to conclude deals because their fear will be they won’t get their money clubs also due to the uncertainty of ownership 

so so many things are now out of the normal operating controls you would want to run club or business 

what we need is clarity all this mess and uncertainty is not helpful 

the Aussies have been around for ages and not completed this is a big problem for me and it makes me wonder just why and how they are going to proceed but I do believe they are now firmly in driving seat 

Dalman is still around and his back ground in English football makes me prefer him but also I am beginning to think ffs just make the deal and move this cancer away from the club , get it right and the low zeros that are being discussed and debated will come back ten fold if you get it right 

but more than anything 

Murray and Two shit chalets can just do one I am sick of them both 

If he didn’t want to go up he could easily have fielded a cheaper, weaker team in 18/19. I agree you can question how much he wanted it.

The operating loss in 17/18 was £13.3m. Let’s say it was £10m last season. In the Championship he will get about £8m extra revenue without doing anything.

If he runs the same budget (or lower) the operating loss drops to £2m. That is unachievable in L1. It may also get the club relegated, but from his perspective he has saved £8m or whatever part of it he doesn’t spend and the value of the club has risen giving him a better opportunity to sell.
    I don’t doubt the opportunity to sell increased but I really don’t think he wanted it , I didn’t agree with that then but looking at what is happening now I can’t see any other reason why he is doing what he is , I also don’t see why either potential buyer has not stipulated that player sales stop during negotiations. 

Bauer and Aribo were out of contract, everyone else who has left was on loan or released. 
  • Redrobo said:
    Swisdom said:

I think the implication is that his DD identified debt not shown in the accounts supplied. Not really surprising given what we have heard from the Jimminez trial etc. The historical accounts seem to in a right mess and only a fool (like Rolly) would buy the club until they are fully resolved or contingency’s put into the deal to cover them.
    Or Duchatelet tried the same trick on Dalman that he did on the Indian/US/Aussie group ie "oh, by the way, you have to sort out the £7m ex-directors bonds even though I told you I was looking after them"
  • Redrobo said:
    Swisdom said:

What you read one night changes the next night. Sorry mate. Its a constant stream of bullshit for 365 days from 365 different people that know nothing.

Source?

Exactly but justifying Dalman as a sound bet when he has less money then Muir, who "hasn't got the money" makes no sense.  That's what.
    Dont you think you're being a bit hypocritical here mate? One minute you're twisting it one way, then the other, but all along it don't matter what the owner is worth, as long as they're willing to invest enough.

As far as I can see, Dalman's finances and backing have hardly been mentioned. The reason he stands out for me more than the Aussies, at this moment in time, is his experience and popularity at Cardiff, along with the contacts he presumably has in the game. 

're the Aussies, there's a couple of things that concern me, those being the way they're going about attracting more investment and their lack of experience in English football. Ive also got a feeling that their ultimate plan is to use the club to school and sell Australian players in order to turn a profit, not a system tbat id personally be on favour of, but I stand to be corrected on that being tbeir plan.

If it does end being the Aussies, they'd get my backing and see how it goes.

thoughts?

The more I think about it believe what was said by David white that RD never wanted auto go up, when you think of the expense needed to be competitive in the championship let alone to try and go up where atleast 10 other clubs will spend 70-100 mil to get out of the league 

players cost more , agents cost more ,etc 

if your selling the club club the last thing you want is more cost 

for that reason I expect him to not invest or back bows anywhere near what is needed 

you also have players and agents not willing to conclude deals because their fear will be they won’t get their money clubs also due to the uncertainty of ownership 

so so many things are now out of the normal operating controls you would want to run club or business 

what we need is clarity all this mess and uncertainty is not helpful 

the Aussies have been around for ages and not completed this is a big problem for me and it makes me wonder just why and how they are going to proceed but I do believe they are now firmly in driving seat 

Dalman is still around and his back ground in English football makes me prefer him but also I am beginning to think ffs just make the deal and move this cancer away from the club , get it right and the low zeros that are being discussed and debated will come back ten fold if you get it right 

but more than anything 

Murray and Two shit chalets can just do one I am sick of them both 

If he didn’t want to go up he could easily have fielded a cheaper, weaker team in 18/19. I agree you can question how much he wanted it.

The operating loss in 17/18 was £13.3m. Let’s say it was £10m last season. In the Championship he will get about £8m extra revenue without doing anything.

If he runs the same budget (or lower) the operating loss drops to £2m. That is unachievable in L1. It may also get the club relegated, but from his perspective he has saved £8m or whatever part of it he doesn’t spend and the value of the club has risen giving him a better opportunity to sell.
    Does anyone know how/when the 8 million is paid to the club?
  • Redrobo said:
    Swisdom said:

What you read one night changes the next night. Sorry mate. Its a constant stream of bullshit for 365 days from 365 different people that know nothing.
    Source?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!