Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• edited July 2019

It’s an interesting thought from Albury Addick

https://alburyaddick.wordpress.com/2019/07/05/billionaire-roland-duchatelet/

That if Duchebag invested sufficient money  to get us to the Premier League and he’s clearly got it, wouldn’t he then be in a stronger position to get a better return for the money he’d invested and all ready spent?
    Let's see... we had turnover of about £7M last year. We lost about £10M in operating losses, excluding sales of players, which we would not be able to do if the goal is to spend to get promoted to the PL. We are limited to an average loss, which includes amortized transfer payments, of £13M per season (already at £10M) and according to Airman, we will make an extra £6M this year in the Championship. Add it all together and we have MAX extra money to spend of £9M annually to stay within FFP limits. So if we shoot our wad, spend all of that this season, our total wage bill would close to double from £10M to £19M.

£19M would have ranked in the bottom 25% of wage bills of the Championship last year and the year before. And that is with us maxing out and unable to spend a single pound more on players... permanently. Unless we find new ways to raise revenue. More expensive season tickets and attendances of 22,000 per season would do the trick. So would better sponsorships. But give the median wage bill in The Championship is £30M, I don't see how we can close that gap very easily. Teams with higher wage bills tend to get promoted and those with lower wage bills tend to get relegated. It will be very hard for us to ever have an even average wage bill in this division, especially with 1/3 of all teams in it now getting parachute payments from the PL.

Roland can't just "spend money" to get us to the PL due to FFP rule changes. Brighton lost £250M to get there under their owner. Leicester lost £200M. Wolves lost £75M in 24 months. Bournemouth lost £100M+. Watford £150M+. At least 8 clubs will breech FFP rules by the next accounts in failed attempts to do so. Making the PL is a lot harder than it use to be. The rules don't allow owners to "go for it" the way they use to just five seasons ago. And it is likely that even if Roland spent illegally £100-200M over 3-4 seasons to get us there (no guarantee), the value of the club in the PL (£200-250M) would not likely provide him a break-even on that investment if you add it to the losses he already has on the books.

I do NOT want Roland to "go for it." I think it would be a disaster for CAFC, long term. I just want him to be willing to spend the new £6M he will get THIS season on wages and transfers and paying our current staff properly (including back room staff), rather than pocketing it. If he paid Aribo the £1M per year he is worth to keep him, paid Bauer the £350k he is worth to keep him, gave £3M to Bowyer to get Cullen in plus another couple role players, I would be very, very satisfied. Just spend what he is being given! That's good enough for me.

Honestly, I am not sure I even WANT to make the PL. Winning 50% of our matches in The Championship and being in the upper-half of the table seems like a good deal to me  compared to being Palace or other relegation fodder in the PL with their 15-30% win rates year after year after year.
    Whilst i'm never quite sure about the accuracy or source credibility of the figures you do post in good faith what I will say is that I do agree with you when you make the point about Roland to not "go for it"

Going for it is what got us into trouble in The Premier League when Dowie was sanctioned to spend the next year's TV money in advance and failed. Then going for it again was the strategy with Pardew when spending £2.5m on Varney, £2m on Zheng Zhi and £1.5m on Gray again was money the club did not have and that £6m combined was money spend The Championship hadn't seen the likes of before and for me was the starting point of when crazy spending in The Championship all started. We built that beast back in 07/08 chasing an instant return to The Premier League, it failed and it culminated in us dropping into League One and changes of ownership which have harmed the club in spite of the on field defiant success of Chris Powell and Lee Bowyer's promotion campaigns. Other clubs saw our own spending and then raised the bar and still do raise the bar each year to levels that are just not sustainable.

For me, i'm happy for Lord Bowyer to cherry pick the cream of the lower leagues, find the odd rough diamond from The Championship and fully utilize Premier League loans such as Cullen and Bielik. I'd rather the club doesn't "go for it" unless we were taken over by somebody willing and able to afford to do so. Even then, throwing cash at it isn't always the answer, you can't put a price on a collective unit like we have with Bowyer, Jackson and Gallen to know what the club needs and be able to get those players.
  • There is no point in arguing about this. Roland is not logical, and doesn’t think in the same way most others would. And he’s too deluded or stubborn to change his ways. End of
  • Sort of role Id love to apply for if I was a better writer and if the wage was a lot higher
    Exactly the same as me.

I actually saw the job advertised before it got posted on here and as soon as I read the description and saw the salary I thought better of it.

Can earn more money doing less work once I’ve finished my MSc. The club really don’t pay well under this regime do they...

• It’s an interesting thought from Albury Addick

That if Duchebag invested sufficient money  to get us to the Premier League and he’s clearly got it, wouldn’t he then be in a stronger position to get a better return for the money he’d invested and all ready spent?
    Let's see... we had turnover of about £7M last year. We lost about £10M in operating losses, excluding sales of players, which we would not be able to do if the goal is to spend to get promoted to the PL. We are limited to an average loss, which includes amortized transfer payments, of £13M per season (already at £10M) and according to Airman, we will make an extra £6M this year in the Championship. Add it all together and we have MAX extra money to spend of £9M annually to stay within FFP limits. So if we shoot our wad, spend all of that this season, our total wage bill would close to double from £10M to £19M.

£19M would have ranked in the bottom 25% of wage bills of the Championship last year and the year before. And that is with us maxing out and unable to spend a single pound more on players... permanently. Unless we find new ways to raise revenue. More expensive season tickets and attendances of 22,000 per season would do the trick. So would better sponsorships. But give the median wage bill in The Championship is £30M, I don't see how we can close that gap very easily. Teams with higher wage bills tend to get promoted and those with lower wage bills tend to get relegated. It will be very hard for us to ever have an even average wage bill in this division, especially with 1/3 of all teams in it now getting parachute payments from the PL.

Roland can't just "spend money" to get us to the PL due to FFP rule changes. Brighton lost £250M to get there under their owner. Leicester lost £200M. Wolves lost £75M in 24 months. Bournemouth lost £100M+. Watford £150M+. At least 8 clubs will breech FFP rules by the next accounts in failed attempts to do so. Making the PL is a lot harder than it use to be. The rules don't allow owners to "go for it" the way they use to just five seasons ago. And it is likely that even if Roland spent illegally £100-200M over 3-4 seasons to get us there (no guarantee), the value of the club in the PL (£200-250M) would not likely provide him a break-even on that investment if you add it to the losses he already has on the books.

I do NOT want Roland to "go for it." I think it would be a disaster for CAFC, long term. I just want him to be willing to spend the new £6M he will get THIS season on wages and transfers and paying our current staff properly (including back room staff), rather than pocketing it. If he paid Aribo the £1M per year he is worth to keep him, paid Bauer the £350k he is worth to keep him, gave £3M to Bowyer to get Cullen in plus another couple role players, I would be very, very satisfied. Just spend what he is being given! That's good enough for me.

Honestly, I am not sure I even WANT to make the PL. Winning 50% of our matches in The Championship and being in the upper-half of the table seems like a good deal to me  compared to being Palace or other relegation fodder in the PL with their 15-30% win rates year after year after year.
    Whilst i'm never quite sure about the accuracy or source credibility of the figures you do post in good faith what I will say is that I do agree with you when you make the point about Roland to not "go for it"

Going for it is what got us into trouble in The Premier League when Dowie was sanctioned to spend the next year's TV money in advance and failed. Then going for it again was the strategy with Pardew when spending £2.5m on Varney, £2m on Zheng Zhi and £1.5m on Gray again was money the club did not have and that £6m combined was money spend The Championship hadn't seen the likes of before and for me was the starting point of when crazy spending in The Championship all started. We built that beast back in 07/08 chasing an instant return to The Premier League, it failed and it culminated in us dropping into League One and changes of ownership which have harmed the club in spite of the on field defiant success of Chris Powell and Lee Bowyer's promotion campaigns. Other clubs saw our own spending and then raised the bar and still do raise the bar each year to levels that are just not sustainable.

For me, i'm happy for Lord Bowyer to cherry pick the cream of the lower leagues, find the odd rough diamond from The Championship and fully utilize Premier League loans such as Cullen and Bielik. I'd rather the club doesn't "go for it" unless we were taken over by somebody willing and able to afford to do so. Even then, throwing cash at it isn't always the answer, you can't put a price on a collective unit like we have with Bowyer, Jackson and Gallen to know what the club needs and be able to get those players.
    I agree but I'd attribute a lot of it to the fact that it was Pardew we gave the money to. His loan signings were a complete joke as well.

Why we got rid of Lisbie when he would have been great to have in the championship at that time I'll never understand

If run like Burnley and Watford, one relegation season in the premier league changes a football club beyond recognition.
    Yes. And for every one of those there are far more that don’t do go up like that. And far more that get crushed financially, like Bolton or QPR or Leeds or (insert club here.) Looking at outliers in the rear view mirror is no way to run a club looking forward. Watford is part of a “network.” Do we really want to try that route again? It’s like when so many people are upset their small club does not win the Premier League like Leicester. “Why can’t we win it like Leicester did! Just do what they did!”
  • Rudders22 said:
    Er... the takeover....??
    What "is it happening"...!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2019
    Rudders22 said:
    Er... the takeover....??
    What "is it happening"...!!!

No and it never will 
  • _MrDick said:
    seth plum said:
    So the job wants a graduate.
    Top salary not enough to begin to pay off the student loan.
    Twelve time the annual gross salary is what a flat in Floyd Road costs.
    A one bedroom flat in Bernard Ashley Drive rents for about £1000 a month.
    The take home pay will be, what, about £1500 per month?
    Council tax, water, gas and leccy probably comes to £100 a month
    So if you work, and don't eat or buy clothes and stuff, you can clear £400 a month to save for a deposit on your flat in Floyd Road, so that is about six years without eating or new clobber to save for a deposit whilst working like a dog and being an underling to Cojones.
    Just as well there are food banks and charity shops huh Roland?

To put this into perspective, the London Living Wage is £10.55 per hour. Grossed up for a 36 hour week, that would pay c£19800. Yet CAFC expect a graduate, who is prepared to travel up and down the country week in and week out, probably working for more than 36 hours per week for £20000 a year. In summary, Charlton are taking the piss.

ps Greenwich Council pay first year apprentices more than this 
    £20k ! Could it not perhaps be a misprint by the incumbent. Would be interested in one or two on here applying just to be sure it's not some mistake and to ask some probing questions during the process.

Roland has already, 'gone for it', in the season we were relegated.

Unlike this inner with Bauer/Aribo departing he pushed the boat out to resign JBG/Cousins. Then with Thomas Driesen's throbbing vein approval he got in the potential great signings of people like Makienok, Ba & Bergdich to name but a few. Then when it went pear shaped he over-invested in more players to try and save the situation.
  • Still say give the job to Callum
  • _MrDick said:
    seth plum said:
    So if you work, and don't eat or buy clothes and stuff, you can clear £400 a month to save for a deposit on your flat in Floyd Road, so that is about six years without eating or new clobber to save for a deposit whilst working like a dog and being an underling to Cojones.

To put this into perspective, the London Living Wage is £10.55 per hour. Grossed up for a 36 hour week, that would pay c£19800. Yet CAFC expect a graduate, who is prepared to travel up and down the country week in and week out, probably working for more than 36 hours per week for £20000 a year. In summary, Charlton are taking the piss.

I always see the key responsibilities and job description as a bit of a wish list. No one can really fulfill the whole lot.
    So maybe 20k/year for watching 2/3 of away games and “Actively monitor personal performance at work, looking to consistently contribute to personal objectives and team goals and focus own activities accordingly…” might be the clincher for someone wanting to call themselves an editor/journalist.
  • Another weekend goes by, nothing in the Sunday papers, nothing like a whisper from people around the club. Another week closer to that transfer deadline meaning a season of struggle 
  • _MrDick said:
    seth plum said:

I always see the key responsibilities and job description as a bit of a wish list. No one can really fulfill the whole lot.
    So maybe 20k/year for watching 2/3 of away games and “Actively monitor personal performance at work, looking to consistently contribute to personal objectives and team goals and focus own activities accordingly…” might be the clincher for someone wanting to call themselves an editor/journalist.
    But not the ones who would baulk at a clumsily split infinitive. 
  • Rudders22 said:
    Er... the takeover....??
    Will go through once we get to page 1905.
  • Scoham said:
    Rudders22 said:
    Er... the takeover....??
    Will go through once we get to page 1905.
    I joked about that 100 pages ago. Now I see no way it goes through before page 2100.

If run like Burnley and Watford, one relegation season in the premier league changes a football club beyond recognition.
     “Why can’t we win it like Leicester did! Just do what they did!”
    Said nobody I've ever heard, read about or know  :)
  • Sponsored links:

• There is no point in arguing about this. Roland is not logical, and doesn’t think in the same way most others would. And he’s too deluded or stubborn to change his ways. End of
    And vindictive 

“Why can’t we win it like Leicester did! Just do what they did!”
    Said nobody I've ever heard, read about or know  :)
    Wanna bet I can find someone who said pretty much the same thing on this very board?
  • I am trying to keep positive. No confirmation yet Dalman has walked. Maybe he and Duchatelet are negotiating hard behind the scenes. Nothing against the Aussies but maybe Roland will see sense and think I have been negotiating with Aussies for nearly 2yrs and nothing is happening, Dalman is not offering me as much as Aussies but he is the one trying to get a deal done a d I want out. 
  • stonemuse said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    stonemuse said:
    It’s an interesting thought from Albury Addick

Logically yes ... but he’s far from logical 
    Is it logical?  Sounds like a gambler chasing his losses to me.  Replying to some posts after yours, as well, but how much is enough?

Look at the Villa and Derby squads that were named for the play off final.  How many of our current players would get on the bench, hand on heart? 

If we signed 5 players for an average of £7 million each, 5 players on frees plus 5 loans.  All on an average of £20k a week.  That's a £50 million pound investment, for this season.  Would it keep us up?  Probably.  Would it get us promoted?  Maybe but would you risk £50 million on it?  If you don't go up do you put another £50 in or cut your losses?  If he did that and we didn't go up the value of the club wouldn't increase by £50 million so that money is gone for ever. 
    So you believe Roland’s approach is logical then? 
    No, believing one approach to be illogical does not imply all other approaches to be logical does it? 
  • It gets to a point where actions speak louder than words. Roland says he wants to sell but does he really?
  • A Monday is always a good day to announce good news ...

I don’t work on Mondays. If that’s not good news, I don’t know what is 
  • In my view RD is trying to reduce his losses to as close to zero as possible while trying to maintain Championship status, he would need to spend far more to make a punt for the Prem and I think he knows that.

• Being sold today:

Source: Roland's cheap season tickets have expired.
  • Roland has a brother called Joe?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!