Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• How many F's in Takeover? How many F's in Hope? 

There is no F in Takeover and there is no F in Hope
  • No inside info  

I just have a feeling that the takeover will occur when we are not expecting it. 
  • edited July 2019
    Richard J said:
    No inside info  

I just have a feeling that the takeover will occur when we are not expecting it.

I'm certainly not expecting it. Happy days!
  • The club is very unlikely to lose £10m in 2019/20 - In fact I’ll hazard a guess that it will make a profit, possibly an operating profit.
    And this is one of the reasons he's not in  hurry to sell. David white mentioned 6 months ago that RD didn't want promotion because of the extra costs of player salaries & transfer fees. But what none of us thought was that he just wouldnt pay any & make LB cobble a squad together like he did last season. It's probably costing RD LESS this season to run the squad than last, having got a couple of high earners of the payroll as well as having less playing staff and paying any incoming players less than in League 1. You have to admit RD is a genius.
    I did, I said he could leave the budget at a similar level and use the extra income to cover the losses. I’m surprised anyone thought he would start paying anything close to Championship wages and fees.

He’s spent over £60m on the club and we’re in a similar position to when he bought the club - in the Championship with a small budget, a squad in need of strengthening, around 10k season ticket holders and a former player as manager who’s backed by the fans.

Nothing genius about that.
  • The club is very unlikely to lose £10m in 2019/20 - In fact I’ll hazard a guess that it will make a profit, possibly an operating profit.
    And this is one of the reasons he's not in  hurry to sell. David white mentioned 6 months ago that RD didn't want promotion because of the extra costs of player salaries & transfer fees. But what none of us thought was that he just wouldnt pay any & make LB cobble a squad together like he did last season. It's probably costing RD LESS this season to run the squad than last, having got a couple of high earners of the payroll as well as having less playing staff and paying any incoming players less than in League 1. You have to admit RD is a genius.
    Personally I always thought he would be better off in the Championship because he wouldn’t spend all the extra income, but I did think he would spend some. The problem is, as ever, he uses wishful thinking, aka self-delusion, to avoid facing up to the likely consequences of his actions.

Clubs with Charlton’s current playing budget in the Championship go down (every time, within two years) - and when they do their value drops because they are more distant from the PL honeypot and they lose the extra central income, opening up the operating loss again.

Duchatelet is on a rinse and repeat cycle and he and we have to hope that Bowyer call stall it. It will be very difficult.
    So you are saying we are a yo-yo club. Only not the yo-yo most people assume, but a yo-yo between the lower leagues! One thing we haven't thought about too much, but what was very apparent before our play off victory was how if we didn't win at Wembley, we would have stood a decent chance of relegation to league two this season.
  • Richard J said:
    No inside info  

No one is expecting it today.
  • @Chizz excellent posts have saved me a lot of bother, well said, sir.

Just one question for @AFKABartram whose comments last night I found extraordinarily depressing.

RD sold Standard Liege long before he announced to the world that he was getting out of football. Why, in your opinion, did he sell Standard (to his own CEO who was strapped for the readies, and not some rich Arabs) at that time?
    Personally I always thought he would be better off in the Championship because he wouldn’t spend all the extra income, but I did think he would spend some. The problem is, as ever, he uses wishful thinking, aka self-delusion, to avoid facing up to the likely consequences of his actions.

Clubs with Charlton’s current playing budget in the Championship go down (every time, within two years) - and when they do their value drops because they are more distant from the PL honeypot and they lose the extra central income, opening up the operating loss again.

Duchatelet is on a rinse and repeat cycle and he and we have to hope that Bowyer call stall it. It will be very difficult.
    So you are saying we are a yo-yo club. Only not the yo-yo most people assume, but a yo-yo between the lower leagues! One thing we haven't thought about too much, but what was very apparent before our play off victory was how if we didn't win at Wembley, we would have stood a decent chance of relegation to league two this season.

Personally I don't want a consortium at the club Aussies or not, consortiums are pulled together because one person outright can't afford to do the deal themself or isn't willing to even if they do have the money.

The other problem with consortiums as is being reported are investors who then want out of the consortium what happens then? Would they retain all funds from the sale of a player to cover there costs like RD is doing? And also how would decisions be carried out if nobody had outright control? Sometimes you can have too many decision makers.

I so wanted to LOL James Seed's earlier post when he said another investor has walked away but I didn't out of respect because he only passed on what he was told even if I did laugh when reading his post. It just confirmed that a consortium is not for me Aussies or not, would rather an individual like Dalman buying us.
    I don't think Dalman would be the sole owner either. 
    What we were worried about if we didn’t go up is we would lose most of our best players.....even more worrying in a higher division. I’m prepared to wait til window shuts before a final judgement but it’s looking like rd, lieven and Hans r going to have a great time in his cinema room chuckling at this thread
  • Sponsored links:

• We must be around the birth date of the Belgium genius??
  • Richard J said:
    No inside info  

I’ve had this feeling also. 
  • DOUCHER said:
    We must be around the birth date of the Belgium genius??
    He's two years old now

Just one question for @AFKABartram whose comments last night I found extraordinarily depressing.

RD sold Standard Liege long before he announced to the world that he was getting out of football. Why, in your opinion, did he sell Standard (to his own CEO who was strapped for the readies, and not some rich Arabs) at that time?
    Wasn't it due to not being able to own two clubs in the same decision? 

It certainly wasn't due to the actions of the ultras, as that was a long time before the sale.
  • DOUCHER said:

14 November 1946

One to put in our diary. Wouldn't want dear leader to think we had forgotten him.

• DOUCHER said:
    He's two years old now
    Mentally?
  • Sponsored links:

• If @Airman Brown is right, which I’m sure he is, and the club might actually make a profit while on its way to probable relegation, wouldn’t it make sense for RD to take a tiny hit and invest a couple of million in order to increase the chances of Championship survival? 
    Only an utter fool wouldn’t follow that path.

Or perhaps his plan is to sell just hours before the season starts? 

Firstly, I don’t know why you would find my comment extraordinarily depressing. It’s just merely my own personal opinion, which none of us know is right or wrong, and not a fact. 

As for your question, I don’t know. No one other than Roland would know. My best guess is that with STVV promoted there was an issue with him having categorised ownership of two clubs in the same division. Given there has since been rumours it was not a straight forward sale, I’m 99% certain it would have been down to either that regulatory insistence or an opportunity that suited Roland best. I’m 100% convinced it was not down to a group of Standard fans door-stopping him at the stadium over two years prior. 

The only way I can see a successful sale of Charlton is if one of those two criterias are met above. There won’t be a regulatory need so we are reliant on an opportunity that suits Roland best, and that will be him ensuring he gets the deal he wants out of this, regardless of the ongoing costs / losses that most of us sane people would factor in. No amount of periphery noise is going to change his demands, if that was the case it would have happened by now, imo. 

As said, purely my view and not a fact
    I think it’s the disappointing stance you seem to be taking against those of us who are prepared to be more pro active (whether it achieves anything or not is, in a sense, irrelevant)  .....I always thought you were 100% behind us, it would seem that never was (or least ways no longer is), the case?
  • Duchatelet is irrational and delusional.

Hence he has convinced himself that rather than his ridiculous asking price it is the running costs that are putting off all the walk away buyers.

So in his mind breaking even increases the likelihood of a sale even if we are relegated. Remember, in his sick mind, the football doesn't matter, it the dancing.

Agree with the first part but relegation brings back the inevitably of significant running costs. I don’t understand how Duchatelet can’t understand that fact. He’s not a stupid man.
  • He probably thinks he won't own the club next season.
  • ElliotCAFC said:
    The only way I see us getting Roland to sell up is if we go back to Belgium with Standard Liege levels of protesting. It’s the only thing that gets to him. 
    I have no idea why so many people genuinely believe this, I really don’t 
    Because it’s all we’ve got mate. We either do something or just sit here and watch it burn
    I am convinced there is nothing that you, or anyone else in protest can do singularity or collectively to make him sell, escalate his route to sale or enforce / encourage him to lower his demands. 

There are are plenty of things you can do that would generate publicity or potentially piss him off, which may make you or others feel better and that you are doing something, but again there is no evidence over the last five years here, in Belgium, Spain, Germany or Hungary that it will have any influence in leading to him shaking hands with another party and putting a signature on the papers. 

No one wished it was the case more than me, btw. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!