Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Welly said:

Murray was he not the man who made the mistake of not keeping Curbs on for the remainder of the season to help choose a new manager who would understand our Charlton instead of the no brainier he chose?.

The remainder of his contract, which I seem to remember was one more season.
    But in essence you may be correct.
    Correct. The financial implications for staying in the prem for that season were HUGE and Murray knew it.
    He, and I suspect Varney gambled and lost..badly.
    Murray has been trying to right that wrong for the last ten years!!

I firmly believe that's why we can't get shot of him.
    added to the fact he has lost £18m quid of his own money (RM that is, not Varney - , i 'm not aware that he lost anything), i think its fair to say he's put a fair bit in to try and help the club - in both time and money
  • u missed the biggest reason RD lost money:

His ego

The biggest reason for his failure was imho Roland’s lack of genuine interest.

I’m convinced if he had applied himself to making a success of his ownership things would have been different. Basically he didn’t care enough to make it work.

• u missed the biggest reason RD lost money:

His ego

I’m convinced if he had applied himself to making a success of his ownership things would have been different. Basically he didn’t care enough to make it work.

Not sure I agree, RD has shown no success within any of his football clubs to make me think he would be good if he applied himself.
  • edited January 2018
    Scoham said:

u missed the biggest reason RD lost money:

His ego

He only cared about trying out his ideas such as using the network players and scouts, promoting more academy players and improving the match day experience.

Winning was never considered important enough and he badly underestimated how strong and competitive English football was/is compared to Belgian football.

He never understood anything around stability or why you can't just throw youngsters into the team and expect them to do well.
    Spot on summary, Scoham
  • Lower West today. Pretty sure the potential new owners have just walked into the pitch with Bob Bolder. Have photos and will post later.
  • Sponsored links:

• Lower West today. Pretty sure the potential new owners have just walked into the pitch with Bob Bolder. Have photos and will post later.

Dont think so.

Dont think so.
    Why don’t you think he’s in the Lower West ?

• Don't think new owners are there today.
  • Bob Bolder saving the club ;-)
  • its always easy in hindsight - particularly easy sitting on an internet forum with f all to lose - we aren't the first and won't b the last to have a post premiership disaster - if there were any rich charlton fans out there to bale us out i'm sure they would have stepped forward by now - there aren't any, hence why we have to rely on those good enough to pump their own money in or hope for an investor to turn up who happens to tick all the right boxes - we aren't spurs, arsenal or man u who have a queue of mega rich people waiting to take over but lets hope the next lot are good - other than say the big 7 or 8 clubs in this country, we could swop places with any of the others in the champ or prem, if we get it right. Not all clubs can say that and the fact we are in london is a massive positive.
  • Lols, @doucher spouting off about hindsight.

Have they left yet ??

:-(
  • Sponsored links:

razil said:

He assumed the English football league was like the Belgian and other leagues with only a small number of bigger clubs.

The reality is as a whole league it’s probably the most competitive, and thus requires a lot more investment just to standstill in the Championship let alone Prem, that or very skilled enlightened leadership, neither of which he was able to provide.

His experiment failed when FFP was relaxed - Meire admitted that he was trying to use the Network to sidestep the investment caps. It meant his creative accounting between clubs had no benefit.

Other value from the Network also failed when it became clear his statistical based approach failed to take into account performance transferability to the more physically demanding English league.

He also probably underestimated the competition for academy players which is very intense in England.

Overall he just didn’t do his homework on so many number levels.

His reign and indeed Meires was in so many ways ad hoc, spur of the moment or under researched/based on an idea rather than experience. They also failed to listen to those who did have that experience, due to their sublime arrogance.

Spot on concise analysis & summary from @Scoham & @razil. Really hoping that the Duchatelet chapter in Charlton’s history can be closed very soon.
  • Heard today that RD said to KR that the takeover might be in "three days, three weeks or three months."
  • Anything coming out of today’s game?
  • Heard today that RD said to KR that the takeover might be in "three days, three weeks or three months."

I heard something similar
  • J BLOCK said:

Anything coming out of today’s game?

I took a couple of photos of some suited gents on the pitch pre kickoff as I thought they might have been representatives of one of the interested parties but after further consideration decided that they were just the match sponsors.

I can post the photos though if you like?
  • J BLOCK said:

Anything coming out of today’s game?

I took a couple of photos of some suited gents on the pitch pre kickoff as I thought they might have been representatives of one of the interested parties but after further consideration decided that they were just the match sponsors.

I can post the photos though if you like?
    Yeah do it

At least it's pretty conclusive there will be a sale! 3 days sounds perfect to me..
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!