Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• From a Leeds United fan on Not606.

A word of caution.
    I have heard from a source who in the past has proved to be itk about such things that one of the interested groups comes from Bahrain. Before you all get excited it is suggested a bloke called Salem Patel may be involved. I can’t say this is more than rumour but if true you guys need to know what he is.
    Google is your friend.
  • If Varney “isn’t” involved somehow or another with a takeover bid, then surely he would have come out and said so long ago.
    My bet is that he is at the very least involved in some way with one of the interested parties, otherwise he would have made an effort to deny the rumours.

Or perhaps he's focused on his actual job, working with one of our rivals.

(I don't begrudge him for one second for working for another club, btw)
    Which is one of the main reasons why he would wish to distance himself from the rumours if not true...........one would have thought.
    If he's really not involved at all, why would he bother responding to fans on an internet forum, as on this occasion, that's really all it is!

• dickplumb said:

From a Leeds United fan on Not606.

A word of caution.
    I have heard from a source who in the past has proved to be itk about such things that one of the interested groups comes from Bahrain. Before you all get excited it is suggested a bloke called Salem Patel may be involved. I can’t say this is more than rumour but if true you guys need to know what he is.
    Google is your friend.

To save people the effort, he's a real estate fund manager who ended up in prison in Dubai on fraud charges. You'd hope he wouldn't pass any league ownership tests, but you never know with the EFL.
  • dickplumb said:

A word of caution.
    Google is your friend.

To save people the effort, he's a real estate fund manager who ended up in prison in Dubai on fraud charges. You'd hope he wouldn't pass any league ownership tests, but you never know with the EFL.
    Not quite. Patel didn't go to prison in Dubai, it was David Haigh, who was Patel's counterpart in GFH (the firm that bought Leeds then sold it to Cellino). He was acquitted of all charges and released 22 months later however. With how they handled the Leeds issue, I'd be very surprised if the Football League sanction them buying another club.
  • Is Patel also still a director at Leeds? is that allowed?
  • J BLOCK said:

EFL couldn’t give a shit, they have a convicted rapist in charge at Blackpool. Don’t for one minute the wouldn’t sanction a deal for this chap, because they would

Oyston needs kneecapping really. However in their eyes he's been to prison and served his time, so why should they stop him pumping money into the EFL?

I know morally it feels wrong.
  • I thought Varney was only fronting for a buyer as he had brokered deals before?

I also thought he had made it clear that he would have no involvement with CAFC if it went through.

His knowledge of all things Charlton may mean that he is employed once again, and one would be happy if this is the case as he has Charlton best interests at heart, but I don't think it will be a welcome homecoming that some may think.
  • Back to Poetry

A Ritual To Read To Each Other

If you don’t know the kind of person I am
    And I don’t know the kind of person you are
    A pattern that others made may prevail in the world
    And following the wrong god home may miss our star.

For there is many a small betrayal in the mind
    A shrug that lets the fragile sequence break
    Sending with shouts the horrible errors of childhood
    Storming out to play through the broken dyke.

And as Elephants parade holding each elephant’s tail,
    But if one wanders the circus won’t find the park,
    I call it cruel and maybe the root of all cruelty
    To know what occurs but not recognise the fact.

And so I appeal to a voice, to something shadowy,
    A remote important region in all who talk:
    Though we could fool each other, we could consider -
    Lest the parade of our mutual life get lost in the dark.

For it is important that awake people be awake,
    Or a breaking line may discourage them back to sleep;
    The signals we give-yes or no, or maybe-
    Should be clear: the darkness around us is deep.

William Stafford
  • Sponsored links:

• From Wiki

"GFH Capital has structured investments exceeding USD 8bn in over 40 companies across 25 countries.[1]"

Nah, not rich enough for us
  • Redrobo said:

I thought Varney was only fronting for a buyer as he had brokered deals before?

I also thought he had made it clear that he would have no involvement with CAFC if it went through.

His knowledge of all things Charlton may mean that he is employed once again, and one would be happy if this is the case as he has Charlton best interests at heart, but I don't think it will be a welcome homecoming that some may think.

I believe PV's involvement is as a broker/introducer - not an investor and with no view to getting involved personally. He (alongside others - one of whom is familiar) is believed to be the other party I alluded to earlier in the week alongside the Aussies. This third interested party is not something I was aware of prior to last weekend.

I can't say anything with any certainty though because there is so much smoke an mirrors at the moment.

All told it seems this is another season in flux before yet another summer rebuild
  • dickplumb said:

A word of caution.
    Google is your friend.

Not quite. Patel didn't go to prison in Dubai, it was David Haigh, who was Patel's counterpart in GFH (the firm that bought Leeds then sold it to Cellino). He was acquitted of all charges and released 22 months later however. With how they handled the Leeds issue, I'd be very surprised if the Football League sanction them buying another club.
    You do mean the Football League who accepted the ownership details filed by Jimenez and Slater when the former couldn’t subsequently prove to a court that he’d ever owned any of the club?
    You got me there :neutral:
  • The Belgium 20 said on Twitter that one of the 3 bidders could be worse than Roland, was this who they were referring to?
  • I'm beginning to think the B20 lot (the more vocal ones) know less than either @Redhenry or @Airman Brown on here about Roland's intentions for the clubs sale and who the interested parties are...

I'd suggest questioning them first. I personally don't know if there's many worse than Roland.
  • We do not want to be going anywhere near GFH or Salem Patel.

Very worrying reading that.

Would be good to hear why exactly you say that.

• Sponsored links:

• Not sure I'm ready to believe something a Leeds fan with no proven track record or source has posted on what I thought was a dead forum.

That said, not sure why he'd have any motivation to make it up.

Not606 is far from a dead forum. Just look at the numbers that post on there from all Clubs. I find your comments ignorant and Ill informed. You don't know who the Leeds fan is,or his contact.

Would be good to hear why exactly you say that.

These documents are a good place to start:
    http://2900miles.com/loose-lips-sink-ships-gulf-finance-house-documents-leaked-ongoing/
  • dickplumb said:

Not sure I'm ready to believe something a Leeds fan with no proven track record or source has posted on what I thought was a dead forum.

That said, not sure why he'd have any motivation to make it up.

Not606 is far from a dead forum. Just look at the numbers that post on there from all Clubs. I find your comments ignorant and Ill informed. You don't know who the Leeds fan is,or his contact.

do you know who he is and who his contact is?
  • i saw Varney and The Kuwaities once they supported Splodgeness at The Harp Club New Cross about 1987 !

Spooky! Just booking tickets for Bad Manners and they're being supported by Max Splodgeness!!

Nothing to do with the takeover, so I feel pretty safe posting it anyway!!! :smile:
  • that is spooky as max splodgeness cropped up in a pub quiz i attended last night
  • I can’t believe why RolandOut hasn’t arranged a meeting with the fans to discuss who should he sell the club to? It’s obvious that we collectively know more than him about business and the criteria for running an effective and efficient football club. This just proves he doesn’t trust us and is a bit of a big head. What I say is that don’t think he can run back to us with “I got it wrong...sorry...if I only listened to you” malarkey. I will just say “RolandOut...look at my hand!”.
  • lolwray said:

that is spooky as max splodgeness cropped up in a pub quiz i attended last night

As a question or as a participant?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!