Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• Options
    I hope he is good in the air to help defend corners.
  • Options
    I believe Regan Charles Cook has gone out on loan but can't see it mentioned
  • Options
    mart77 said:

Did sky have him at Coventry
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:

I suspect we'll start with Clarke up front with Reeves behind him on Saturday. It's not ideal and I agree that I would have loved us to have got another big striker in, but I would take our squad over any other in league one.

This. Very important to remember we have a very good squad and I'd argue the best first XI in the league.

And Clarke playing as a false nine could be very interesting. He's a very smart player and I think he could do a good job creating space for the likes of Holmes, Fosu, Reeves, and JFC to get forward.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

mart77 said:

I thought that was his brother who moved to Swindon today
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

RC_CAFC said:

Am I the only one who thinks it's been a great window? We've not lost any player that we were worried about losing. We've signed some really exciting players, if the first few games are anything to go by.

We are playing really well, and we have two players for every position in the team (allowing the fact we don't know about Dodoo yet) but let's be honest Novak was sh*t! There was almost a protest in itself when it was discovered he was starting the first game of the season.

I really believe we're in a strong position in this league. 100% still want our Belgian legion out but today is not the disaster people are claiming it is I don't think.

We've got massive strength in depth at CB, a lot of depth in midfield when Marshall returns, but no depth up front. Dodoo is fine to bring off the bench, or if we need to switch to 4-4-2, but can't play as a lone striker, so there's no cover for Magennis who's a key player
    It's kind of weird. And there's no longer an emergency clause allowing us to buy if say Magennis was injured.

But haven't there been other sides who have played a fluid system, who haven't had a great big fella up front to hold the ball up?
    In the English third division? Doubt it.

Who did Swansea have up front when they were promoted playing a passing game?
  • Options
    mart77 said:

clb74 said:

mart77 said:

I thought that was his brother who moved to Swindon today
    They gave a name of Riece Charles cook I believe
  • Options
    I am no fan of Novak but he should be playing up front on Saturday!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    T.C.E said:

Charlton Athletic transfer deadline day 2016-17 repeated tonight at 11.00pm on UKGold. ;)

Watching it again now, all very sad :(
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

Valley11 said:

This signing feels like such a return to the weirdness of recent years.
    Desperation, after selling an experienced striker to a rival. Clueless!!!!

To be honest I'd prefer he was playing for a rival than us. I just can't believe or understand how, or why, we have managed to end up with one striker and a kid on loan.
    I bet Novak does well for Scunthorpe, as I believe he would have done for us given a run in the side.
    I suspect you might be right, but from what I saw last season I don't see him playing many games in a team that will be at the top of the division. He might get more than ten goals for The Iron this season but I doubt they will be top six if he plays enough games to get into double figures.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

True, true, but I've never fancied our chances when he's been in the starting eleven. Have we, actually, won a game he started?
  • Options
    edited August 2017

True, true, but I've never fancies our chances when he's been in the starting eleven. Have we, actually, won a game he started?
    The fact he only started 16 games might be part of the issue.

Coventry (h) 3-0, Scunthorpe (h) 2-1 - Bristol Rovers (h) 1-0 (although he didn't last long)
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    So compared to last season - we have signed 7 players (Fosu, Dodoo, Clarke, Marshall, Reeves, Amos and Dasilva (plus Kashi + Sarr returned)), how many have we seen out the door?

7 Strikers: Ajose, Watt, Hanlan, Umerah, Vetokele, Novak and Mavididi

2 Keepers: Rudd, Mitov

4 Defenders: Chicksen, RJ, Thomas, Tex

3 Midfielders: Botaka, Ulvestad, Byrne

Am I missing anyone?
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

RC_CAFC said:

I suspect we'll start with Clarke up front with Reeves behind him on Saturday. It's not ideal and I agree that I would have loved us to have got another big striker in, but I would take our squad over any other in league one.

This. Very important to remember we have a very good squad and I'd argue the best first XI in the league.

And Clarke playing as a false nine could be very interesting. He's a very smart player and I think he could do a good job creating space for the likes of Holmes, Fosu, Reeves, and JFC to get forward.
    Yes we have a good team and a decent squad. No to Clarke up front, just no. I can forgive them if we were always going to sign the Rangers lad to make 3 strikers but Novak demanded to leave, if we go out and sign a decent freebie like Lambert. But it won't happen.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

JamesSeed said:

RC_CAFC said:

Am I the only one who thinks it's been a great window? We've not lost any player that we were worried about losing. We've signed some really exciting players, if the first few games are anything to go by.

We are playing really well, and we have two players for every position in the team (allowing the fact we don't know about Dodoo yet) but let's be honest Novak was sh*t! There was almost a protest in itself when it was discovered he was starting the first game of the season.

I really believe we're in a strong position in this league. 100% still want our Belgian legion out but today is not the disaster people are claiming it is I don't think.

We've got massive strength in depth at CB, a lot of depth in midfield when Marshall returns, but no depth up front. Dodoo is fine to bring off the bench, or if we need to switch to 4-4-2, but can't play as a lone striker, so there's no cover for Magennis who's a key player
    It's kind of weird. And there's no longer an emergency clause allowing us to buy if say Magennis was injured.

But haven't there been other sides who have played a fluid system, who haven't had a great big fella up front to hold the ball up?

It's a bit of a myth to say you need to play third division football to get out of the third division. Yes, you don't want to get bullied, but play football.
  • Options

So compared to last season - we have signed 7 players (Fosu, Dodoo, Clarke, Marshall, Reeves, Amos and Dasilva (plus Kashi + Sarr returned)), how many have we seen out the door?

Am I missing anyone?

Much better balance though wouldn't you say?
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

T.C.E said:

Charlton Athletic transfer deadline day 2016-17 repeated tonight at 11.00pm on UKGold. ;)

Watching it again now, all very sad :(
    Why sad. Best window for years. Not perfect, and it won't be with these owners, but I for one am looking forward to Oldham.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How is the poor guy's name pronounced - is it as in s*** or as in as dead as a .. ? Either way it doesn't seem very fair to place as much reliance on a young inexperienced player as we might be doing here. Difficult to believe that KR has been given what he was looking for - points much more to RD trying to save cash, hopefully before selling the club.
  • Options

Am I missing anyone?

Ceballos.

• Options

True, true, but I've never fancies our chances when he's been in the starting eleven. Have we, actually, won a game he started?
    The fact he only started 16 games might be part of the issue.

Coventry (h) 3-0, Scunthorpe (h) 2-1
    So has he started 16 games for us in the third division and we've won none of them? I'm asking as I don't know.

If that stat is true then I'm more than happy that he's gone. For £6k a week we should be winning 10 out of every 16 games he starts, should we not?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Scoham said:

JamesSeed said:

RC_CAFC said:

It's a bit of a myth to say you need to play third division football to get out of the third division. Yes, you don't want to get bullied, but play football.
    Agree but at the same time I think there's a reason teams at this level don't play with "false 9s" or some of the set ups you see at the highest level.
  • Options

Am I missing anyone?

unfair comparison though as we didn't see Vetokele last signing. If we could add either him or Mavididi to this squad then I would be excited.
  • Options

Godden has scored 0 goals so far this season...

Grigg has 1 goal his last 33 matches.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Am I missing anyone?

Much better balance though wouldn't you say?
    All in all I think we have had a fairly decent transfer window. We have a very strong looking midfield and our defence looks good, barring injuries to Dasilva/Solly (although Dijksteel looks very good from what I have seen of him).

I am not convinced on the keepers yet, but at least we didn't let phillips go without a replacement.

Striker wise I think we are way off. I really like Mag, he puts himself about, is very strong and does contribute some important goals. We need more than one striker that can score though and I am amazed we have reached the end of the window in this position considering how well we did in recruiting for the midfield positions. I worry about what happens if/when Mag gets injured or is on international duty.

I thought we needed two strikers in today , then Novak left and we only got one.
  • Options
    KAG and Dodoo are plan b - 442 with two 6 foot strikers.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

They clearly don't do risk assessments at Charlton

Or contingency planning - almost worth one of our promotion rivals kicking lumps out of Magennis so as to remove us as a rival.
  • Options
    they never fall to disappoint----- utter clueless twats----if i hadnt already stopped going id boycott !