Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latimer Road fire

Comments

• Options
    WSS said:

You're being bang out of order to be honest and making it personal to one poster. Give it a rest.

Why?
  • Options
    for example i haven't read anything (unless I've missed it) which would make me believe addickted has a 'it was their own fault mentality'

and you've asked him he should resign. why?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    WSS said:

Because it's completely uncalled for, you're twisting everything into something its not.

In my opinion.

How, and what do you mean by, 'it's something it's not'?

I'll leave it for others to decide.

My opinion is that this fire, and other disasters (floods, for example), are due to massive cuts and privatisation and a massive neglect for our environement and our infustructure. I could cite the figures here, but no doubt you could come up with others.

I have no political point to make, but I find it offensive when someone comes on here purporting to defend a system which clearly doesn't work, especially on the back of some kind of robotic response from the Tories.

People go from living through a nightmare to losing their homes; they're placed in B&Bs from her to Manchester (not Best Westerns, but simple B&Bs), and a fire safety officer comes on to spout Tory/Blaireite policy - sorry, no!

• Options

WSS said:

Because it's completely uncalled for, you're twisting everything into something its not.

In my opinion.

How, and what do you mean by, 'it's something it's not'?

I'll leave it for others to decide.

My opinion is that this fire, and other disasters (floods, for example), are due to massive cuts and privatisation and a massive neglect for our environement and our infustructure. I could cite the figures here, but no doubt you could come up with others.

I have no political point to make, but I find it offensive when someone comes on here purporting to defend a system which clearly doesn't work, especially on the back of some kind of robotic response from the Tories.

People go from living through a nightmare to losing their homes; they're placed in B&Bs from her to Manchester (not Best Westerns, but simple B&Bs), and a fire safety officer comes on to spout Tory/Blaireite policy - sorry, no!

Read @Grapevine49 's post.

• Options
    Excellent post @Grapevine49
  • Options
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Addickted said:

Addickted said:

I wonder how much rent is in Chislehurst?

I gave you a flag because I think your comment is entirely inappropriate
    Don't worry.

I've just given you four flags for everything you've posted on this subject
    Glad to see you've joined Team Flag.
  • Options
    Is there a prize for the most flags?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yes.

A curry at the Crossbars with a photo taken with Flaggy.
  • Options

Yes, but contestants will have to go some to beat Belfast.

https://youtu.be/bAvxqGnVO2w
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Don't worry.

Progressed to team ignore.

The bloke is a sandwich short of a picnic.

• Options
    Addickted said:

Fiiish said:

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Don't worry.

Progressed to team ignore.

The bloke is a sandwich short of a picnic.

Which team is better?
  • Options
    Thanks for that post Grapevine.

I just hope some people are listening to what you have to say.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

I hope they're flame retardant.

• Options
    Addickted said:

cafcfan said:

I hope they're flame retardant.

Depends on the regulations.....
  • Options
    Watching the One Show, reporting that the fire in the flat from the fridge was put out and the crew were leaving the building. They then seen the outside on fire, this is the first time I've heard this.
  • Options

Addickted said:

What you fail to realise is that I'm a Fire Safety Manager, not the Home Secretary.

As far as I'm concerned at this stage of the investigation politics should not be involved in this. We should be doing everything we can for those that survived or have been closely affected this disaster.

This incident is unique. It's unheard of and has never been seen by anybody before. Look at the ferocity of the fire and compare in with those at the twin towers, where it was fed by hundreds of gallons of kerosene.

Politics and tough decisions need to be made when all the facts as to how the fire started, how it spread so rapidly, why did the compartmentation not work and why do we still have expensive fire engines driving around the Country which cannot deal with a fire higher than six storeys.

I respect you as a Fire Safety Officer, but jesus christ this is politics!!!! Can't you see that? I have enormous respect for what you and your colleagues do (especially those that went into that) but WAKE UP!!!! This is politics
    In the words of Skin "everything is fucking political ". Some on here and political agitators latching on to this tragedy ( i am not saying Lifers are agitators btw) making it party political.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't think it's party political. But the Royal Boro' of K&C need to take a long hard look at how their council has behaved. It's been shockingly bad and uncaring. This is not because they are tory but because they became inhuman in their response to people on the margins. As have some Labour people over the last few decades.

I spent over an hour today with a tenant who is extremely concerned about fire safety. Hopefully she felt ok when she left me. (Luckily all our FRAs are up to date and any issues have been actioned.)

This will be a live issue for residents and staff involved in social housing for a long time I think. And hope because fire safety has been the cinderella for too long with lip service paid to it by most. Except the fire safety officers and firefighters.

To a safer future.
  • Options
    Panorama report on fire - K&C are fucking shameful. The twat who runs the council is beyond belief.....

• Options
    Nearly a week later and they can't work out if the cladding is banned in the UK or not.
    He didn't even answer the question about numerous previous warnings.
  • Options
    A little way down this page, there's video recorded by a group of firefighters on their way to the scene:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40327357
    While I don't expect firefighters to be unshockable, as they've generally seen worse than most of us, but they seem absolutely gobsmacked at what they're about to face.
  • Options
    I am absolutely disgusted by the leader of K&C council - he is a man without shame.

A building has been turned into a deathtrap by a shoddy refurbishment, 78+ people died, a pathetic relief effort launched and yet this smug c*** can sit there as if nothing has happened. I assume he's in line for a knighthood for leading the way in cost cutting and building up reserves of £274m.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    iainment said:

I don't think it's party political. But the Royal Boro' of K&C need to take a long hard look at how their council has behaved. It's been shockingly bad and uncaring. This is not because they are tory but because they became inhuman in their response to people on the margins. As have some Labour people over the last few decades.

I spent over an hour today with a tenant who is extremely concerned about fire safety. Hopefully she felt ok when she left me. (Luckily all our FRAs are up to date and any issues have been actioned.)

This will be a live issue for residents and staff involved in social housing for a long time I think. And hope because fire safety has been the cinderella for too long with lip service paid to it by most. Except the fire safety officers and firefighters.

To a safer future.

That's my point.

To slag them off for being shit is spot on. To slag the Tories off because of policies that have, so far, no proved link is indeed party political and this event should be beyond cheap shots.

If or when the evidence points to specific failures then I will be right in there with the best of you shouting for heads to role and manslaughter charges to be brought if appropriate.
  • Options

iainment said:

To a safer future.

That's my point.

To slag them off for being shit is spot on. To slag the Tories off because of policies that have, so far, no proved link is indeed party political and this event should be beyond cheap shots.

If or when the evidence points to specific failures then I will be right in there with the best of you shouting for heads to role and manslaughter charges to be brought if appropriate.
    I'm a little unclear what further evidence you need? A relatively safe concrete building has been refurbished with some dodgy cladding that has caused a fire that firefighters have never had to deal with before and over seventy people have died and numerous people are homeless.

I'm no expert but I'd hazard a guess that there has been a failure. Do you need an expert to state the bleeding obvious?

K&C sits on reserves of £270m+ which I'm assuming don't come out of thin air. Their pitiful reaction to the fire is shameful.

If you'd been affected by the fire I imagine you might be a little angry.

Councils are culpable for this fire and the one in Southwark in 2009. People deserve better.

Whether anyone is prosecuted remains to be seen - there is a lot of arse covering going on.
  • Options

iainment said:

To a safer future.

That's my point.

I'm a little unclear what further evidence you need? A relatively safe concrete building has been refurbished with some dodgy cladding that has caused a fire that firefighters have never had to deal with before and over seventy people have died and numerous people are homeless.

I'm no expert but I'd hazard a guess that there has been a failure. Do you need an expert to state the bleeding obvious?

K&C sits on reserves of £270m+ which I'm assuming don't come out of thin air. Their pitiful reaction to the fire is shameful.

If you'd been affected by the fire I imagine you might be a little angry.

Councils are culpable for this fire and the one in Southwark in 2009. People deserve better.

Whether anyone is prosecuted remains to be seen - there is a lot of arse covering going on.
    Well actually I do need an expert.

Was it down to May? Was it down to K&c? Was it down to rydon? Was it down to a sub contractor for installing badly? Was it down to building regs officer who signed it off? Was it down to the fire officer who signed off the RA? Was it down to Cameron who allowed the review of building regs to be sat on for years? Was it down to Osbourne for giving us austerity?

All of these reasons have been put forward.

You have an amazing Crystal ball if you KNOW the facts of the cause.

What we do know is that post fire, K&C council went awol as did the Government/May. They both deserve a shit storm of anger for leaving the poor victims to volunteer workers and donations. I raised this issue on this thread, I was told that I don't understand how local authorities work! I do know shit management when I see it so blatantly demonstrated.

I have said on other threads that I am not a Tory and have never voted for them. I am sure that we are all appalled at what has gone on at Grenfell Tower and all hope that this will be the catalyst to ensure residents will be far safer in years to come. The only way we can ensure that is to correctly identify the cause/s and come up with workable solutions going forward.

There is every chance that some people at the heart of the rescue already have a good idea of where some of the evidence is pointing. I'm sure they don't have the complete picture and certainly nobody would who relies on news and social media.
    It appears to be down to the cladding - the building had a passive fire safety system in place which would have worked prior to the cladding being installed. Buildings don't normally spread fire on the outside or is this something you see as normal?

I don't understand why you are taking it upon yourself to defend the indefensible? Somebody is f***ing culpable even if nobody ever gets prosecuted. I don't have the complete picture but I've heard numerous 'experts' point the finger at the cladding which effectively rendered the building unsafe.

Why don't you watch tonight's episode of Panorama? We relied on 'experts' to refurbish the building and to come up with fire regulations that are fit for purpose - 70+ deaths and numerous homeless would I politely suggest they've failed in this instance.
    Why have regulations not changed since the Southwark fire in 2009?

I don't think fire safety is taken seriously because it costs money.