Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bradford v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Ref, for a change, was on our side yesterday.
    It sometimes happens.
  • Options
    The throw in may or may not be an issue, but Bradford can''t use it as an excuse.
    It was a tight game and we nicked it as they might have done...but didn't.
  • Options
    who cares about the throw-in , it wasnt given , move on.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Sarr is better than Pearce in every physical and technical aspect - experience is all Pearce has over him. A potential Premiership player versus a good League One pro. I'd play Sarr every time, unless he starts showing signs of mental weakness

Completely unproven bar a few games in league one. Given that we are in league one, I'd pick the seasoned pro with the proven track record of promotion
  • Options
    Came across this while going through some old stuff today, a few legends on show - McCall must have clocked up a few years for them in various roles.
  • Options

who cares about the throw-in , it wasnt given , move on.

This is the post match discussions thread and seems to me whether or not the winning goal should have stood is a reasonably significant talking point from the match.

It also shows the fine margins by which games are won and lost and is a reminder of how almost every game has pivotal moments that might have produced a different final result had those key events played out differently. Something it's always important to bear in mind before getting too carried away with any win or too critical of any loss.

Even vs Wigan, when most people would say we never looked like we could win, we hit the bar just before they scored and it might have been a different game if we'd taken the lead.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Rates alongside Bristol Rovers at home when we played with 10 men for 90 minutes(6 minutes added on).

This side with the triumvirate of Robinson, Jackson and Bowyer have put some pride in being a Charlton fan even thou Rome wasn't built in a day.
    because of Karl's Verbosity, some still come on here to bury him and not praise him.
    Robinson should make sure he isn't conjoined to the Owner.

What did the Belgians ever do for us ?
  • Options
    From the match thread it sounded like we were under the cosh a bit but defended well. The three standout moments are the goal and Amos's two saves near the end.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I can't believe some of the negative posts regarding Pearce. If it wasn't for his contribution towards the end of last season we could have gone down.
    I am as delighted as the next fan regarding Naby Sarr this season but when fit I still think Pearce will play an important roll just as he did last season.

He may play an important role B72, but things have moved on a bit, and the feeling is that Naby might offer a bit more, even his throw-in is a bit special - and something new !
  • Options

I can't believe some of the negative posts regarding Pearce. If it wasn't for his contribution towards the end of last season we could have gone down.
    I am as delighted as the next fan regarding Naby Sarr this season but when fit I still think Pearce will play an important roll just as he did last season.

He may play an important role B72, but things have moved on a bit, and the feeling is that Naby might offer a bit more, even his throw-in is a bit special - and something new !
    I went to Fleetwood a couple of weeks ago and praised Naby Sarr on here.
    I have no problem with Sarr whatsoever I think he will develop into a very good player.
    My point is I don't understand the criticism of Pearce.
    This is not aimed at you btw.
  • Options
    If Sarr could get the nous and experience of Pearce he would be the better player. But that's gonna take time and games.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Leuth said:

Sarr is better than Pearce in every physical and technical aspect - experience is all Pearce has over him. A potential Premiership player versus a good League One pro. I'd play Sarr every time, unless he starts showing signs of mental weakness

Completely unproven bar a few games in league one. Given that we are in league one, I'd pick the seasoned pro with the proven track record of promotion
    He's played at a much higher level than Pearce ever could
  • Options
    Leuth said:

wmcf123 said:

Leuth said:

He's played at a much higher level than Pearce ever could
    I think Pearce would be able to play in the Portuguese first division, it is hardly Bundesliga standard.
  • Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMikwqptFA0&t=199

Unusual perspective on the game from very young Bradford fans - shows Amos's late save.

That's a pretty good piece. I think most parents would be proud of a kid like that.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

Totally agree. We seem to have forgotten that we were singing Pearce's praises before he was injured. Wasn't he MotM two or three times this season?

It'd be tempting to play Bauer, Pearce and Sarr in a back three next time we play a big physical side.

If you had to pick two of those three to play centre back, I'd probably go with Pearce and Sarr, although any combination is good. However, I think the Solly, Bauer, Pearce and Dasilva back four can be vulnerable to aerial bombardment.

PS Happy times. Team doing well, new ownership in the offing....
  • Options

Rates alongside Bristol Rovers at home when we played with 10 men for 90 minutes(6 minutes added on).

This side with the triumvirate of Robinson, Jackson and Bowyer have put some pride in being a Charlton fan even thou Rome wasn't built in a day.
    because of Karl's Verbosity, some still come on here to bury him and not praise him.

They made huge mistakes for 2 years but they have now let the professionals make the important decisions and brought in a gaffer who has restored our pride in our club and team.

Ps I do believe they also transfer approx £1m per month and we have zero external debt.

I like your comments about Robbo - totally agree.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Sarr is an athlete. He has the physique and physical attributes to play at a much higher level. He needs to get games under his belt to gain in confidence but from what I've seen so far since his comeback he's going to be an important player for us.

Still makes me nervous when he's on the ball though.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    https://mega.nz/#!IQh1wSqK!m1aQzzXGGs6EO5OAA71hgi6Hj9YSMV7Yfif9OwEWmZs

Fella on the Bradford forum reckons this is the full game. Have to download it but may be of interest.

Edit: Just downloaded it, bit of a faff but excellent quality and the whole game. Would recommend if you didn't catch the match.
  • Options

There are usually several throw ins during a game which seem to be given wrongly. They're nothing to get upset about - unless they lead to a goal against you, I suppose. From where I was sitting the ref got it right but I haven't seen any TV replays.

I enjoyed watching the young Bradford girl's vlog of the game - I almost felt guilty that we'd spoilt her day by winning. On a general note, Valley Parade is one of my favourite grounds to visit. It's a friendly place and the Bradford supporters seem a good bunch - never any animosity from them and they turn out in numbers for their club. We even found a pub (The Sparrow in North Parade) which gives out free pies and mushy peas with your drinks on match days. I could have done without the rain yesterday, though. I got back home at 10:30 and still hadn't dried out.

The whole ball, not 99.9% has to be over the line for it to be out of play. I thought it was out, it looked out but given you need a plumb line to measure it exactly, it's always going to be a fine line between a right and wrong call. But the linesman only has his eye ball and he was looking directly up the line, the only angle you could make an accurate call, and was 5 feet away, so I'll give the linesman the benefit of the doubt.

As you say, it could just as easily have been one of those throw in decisions the ref is only guessing because he hasn't got a scooby doo who touched it last. If the goal had come directly from Holmes keeping it in play, then perhaps some sympathy IF it was actually out of play. But the goal came from a subsequent throw in, a cross, and a shot before the goal was scored.
  • Options
    JonnyK said:

They made huge mistakes for 2 years but they have now let the professionals make the important decisions and brought in a gaffer who has restored our pride in our club and team.

Ps I do believe they also transfer approx £1m per month and we have zero external debt.

I like your comments about Robbo - totally agree.

I take back everything I have said about the squirrel and Duchatelet. I think they should stick around.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Leuth said:

This.
    Sarr adds so much more to the equation than Pearce.
    Really happy to see people on the Sarr... Bandwagon. Sat here for five minutes trying to think of an alliteration. Best I could come up with is the Sarr Scooter and that's poor.
    Nabbandwagon?
  • Options
    RedRyan said:

SDAddick said:

Leuth said:

This.
    Sarr adds so much more to the equation than Pearce.
    Really happy to see people on the Sarr... Bandwagon. Sat here for five minutes trying to think of an alliteration. Best I could come up with is the Sarr Scooter and that's poor.
    Nabbandwagon?
    A for effort if nothing else. I like it.