Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bradford v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2017

Whether Robinson intended for Sarr to be involved this season or not, it can't be argued he's come in and impressed; his mental strength after what must have been a few really tough years is admirable, also. He has all the physical attributes required to be a top class centre back and an excellent pass on him as well. He still makes a few silly mistakes but if he irons them out his game he could be a high end Championship/Premier League player. On the subject of our best back four, I think it depends on the oppo. In games like yesterday, driving rain away from home, Solly - Pearce - Bauer - Sarr would be my choice. In a match like, say, Northampton at home, Konsa - Sarr - Bauer - JDS would look better. You've got Djiksteel and Page to add that as well, so plenty of options going forward. Just need another striker now!

Really good point regarding his mental strength. It can't have been easy coming back here. Was really pleased that he got a warm reception against Donny and hope he gets another one if he plays against AFC Wimbledon.
  • Options
    Sarr was part of the best defensive performance I have seen from the team so far this season, remember him in the first half cutting across the center of the goal area to take the ball of the toe of the Bradford striker as he prepared to shoot. same Sarr that went out on Loan last season has definitely matured/improved.
  • Options
    JonnyK said:

Rates alongside Bristol Rovers at home when we played with 10 men for 90 minutes(6 minutes added on).

This side with the triumvirate of Robinson, Jackson and Bowyer have put some pride in being a Charlton fan even thou Rome wasn't built in a day.
    because of Karl's Verbosity, some still come on here to bury him and not praise him.
    Robinson should make sure he isn't conjoined to the Owner.

What did the Belgians ever do for us ?

They made huge mistakes for 2 years but they have now let the professionals make the important decisions and brought in a gaffer who has restored our pride in our club and team.

Ps I do believe they also transfer approx £1m per month and we have zero external debt.

They got us relegated and have massively increased our debt.

I like your comments about Robbo - totally agree.

Fixed.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

Sarr is an athlete. He has the physique and physical attributes to play at a much higher level. He needs to get games under his belt to gain in confidence but from what I've seen so far since his comeback he's going to be an important player for us.

Still makes me nervous when he's on the ball though.
    At Oxford he beat one of their forwards with a Cruyff turn and picked out DaSilva time and time again with slide rule passes. If Kashi or Forster-Caskey go down injured I reckon he could substitute for them in a pinch.
  • Options

JonnyK said:

Rates alongside Bristol Rovers at home when we played with 10 men for 90 minutes(6 minutes added on).

This side with the triumvirate of Robinson, Jackson and Bowyer have put some pride in being a Charlton fan even thou Rome wasn't built in a day.
    because of Karl's Verbosity, some still come on here to bury him and not praise him.

They made huge mistakes for 2 years but they have now let the professionals make the important decisions and brought in a gaffer who has restored our pride in our club and team.

Ps I do believe they also transfer approx £1m per month and we have zero external debt.

Fixed.
    Come on now we all know its not real debt its friendly debt that Roland will not expect us to repay when he sells. Not real debt at all !!!
  • Options
    ozaddick said:

PWPOTHADKFC...( posting whilst pissed on train home and destroying KFC..)

Lucky passengers in that carriage. :-)
  • Options

ozaddick said:

They were he's a top bloke :wink:
  • Options

Whether Robinson intended for Sarr to be involved this season or not, it can't be argued he's come in and impressed; his mental strength after what must have been a few really tough years is admirable, also. He has all the physical attributes required to be a top class centre back and an excellent pass on him as well. He still makes a few silly mistakes but if he irons them out his game he could be a high end Championship/Premier League player. On the subject of our best back four, I think it depends on the oppo. In games like yesterday, driving rain away from home, Solly - Pearce - Bauer - Sarr would be my choice. In a match like, say, Northampton at home, Konsa - Sarr - Bauer - JDS would look better. You've got Djiksteel and Page to add that as well, so plenty of options going forward. Just need another striker now!

Completley agree. Our group was pretty worried by Sarr at left back, even if he had been playing well in the middle, but everyone was in agreement it was a really good tactical decision by Robinson by the end. Dasilva has played well but Braford had a very big forward line and he would of been up against Gilliead, who would have towered above him. In awful conditions there were a couple of occasions Sarr cleaned up at the back post with Gilliead looming behind him.

Sarr reminds me a bit of Steve Jones going forward, got the right idea just can't really control his body. The exchange down the left flank in the first half was as sublime as his over-hit cross in the second was comical. I need to see more of the fromer to be convinced of his worth at left back in a team set out to attack. Yesterday it was a good move by Robinson, something I say begrudgingly in all honesty.

• Options

ozaddick said:

I chewed with my mouth closed! :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedRyan said:

SDAddick said:

Leuth said:

Sarr is better than Pearce in every physical and technical aspect - experience is all Pearce has over him. A potential Premiership player versus a good League One pro. I'd play Sarr every time, unless he starts showing signs of mental weakness

This.
    Sarr adds so much more to the equation than Pearce.
    Really happy to see people on the Sarr... Bandwagon. Sat here for five minutes trying to think of an alliteration. Best I could come up with is the Sarr Scooter and that's poor.
    Nabbandwagon?
    Not sure about now, but a coule of months ago he was surely Nabby Knobhead.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Naby Sarr-far-sarr-good?
  • Options

Naby Sarr-far-sarr-good?

Naby Sarr far Sarr good (This season, blocking out the horrific performances in 15-16).

I know I will be accused of not letting this go but I'm so scarred by how horrific that season was - a season in which I stopped temporarily attending games. Not all Naby's fault, but he was horrendous .

Delighted he has done well this season , so far , nonetheless
  • Options
    For those oldies out there, do you remember when we bought Micky Flanagan from Spurs and plonked him on the left wing? And there he was typically shit, but one game, i cant remember who our manager was, but put Flash up front, and i think he scored a hat-trick, and after that suddenly his confidence became sky high and he was a brilliant player for us.
    Anyway, the more i see of Sarr the more i equate him to that situation, where he lost his confidence and the supporters got on his back and that was the downward spiral, but now, wow, what a difference. I know its early days, but i can see him being flogged to a prem team next year, he's got most of the attributes, he can head the ball, he can play with the ball at his feet, he has the physical attrributes and can tackle (remember the sliding tackle in first half on Saturday?).
    You watch, he'll go and play like a donkey(or Bambi) on saturday now.!
  • Options

JonnyK said:

Fixed.
    Mmm I note that you're not a fan of free speech :-)

Soft debt not external debt.
  • Options

The Sarr I watched play a couple of seasons ago seemed to not want to get involved in the physical side of the game very much, like he was scared of getting hurt. Kind of silly because the bloke is a dictionary definition 'a unit' but he seemed not to want to get tight to players and would dangle out a leg or make a rash sliding tackle rather than just stand up and be strong. He was also a ball watcher and looked terrified whenever he got on the ball. It was, with hindsight, probably mostly a confidence thing, but at the time, he was so bad it was hard to put it all down to lack of confidence.

Saturday was the first time I've seen him play this season and, while there were still a couple of 'moments' (diving in for one ball allowing the winger in behind, and getting caught upfield and being a bit slow getting back on another), he largely lived up to his 'changed man' billing, especially as left back is not his primary position. The two biggest differences, that I saw, were he was quite happy to 'mix it' and looked comfortable and assured on the ball - that pair of give and goes he had with Fosu in the first half was really excellent.

I think he has to do this for a few more games yet before we can start to really trust him again, but he's clearly in a good place right now and I think you have to give KR some credit for that. He got stick earlier in the season for his public backing of Amos over Philips, but he is showing he maybe learnt a trick or two while working with Big Sam about how to fix players with broken confidence. JFC, then Amos, and now Sarr are three players whose careers were stalling badly, but KR seems to have re-lit the fire in all of them.

Long may it continue.

Nabby Sarr, the new Sol Campbell.
  • Options
    Fantastic away day! One of the best iv had, the Bradford fans were brilliant great laugh with them after the game! Also found a boozer that's sell mango cider!
  • Options
    Mango cider bloke! I recall a drunken chat with you about it? Thought I had made it up...its cider, but made of mango! was your general drift
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

Mango cider bloke! I recall a drunken chat with you about it? Thought I had made it up...its cider, but made of mango! was your general drift

Probably mate pissed up 21 year old
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The Sarr I watched play a couple of seasons ago seemed to not want to get involved in the physical side of the game very much, like he was scared of getting hurt. Kind of silly because the bloke is a dictionary definition 'a unit' but he seemed not to want to get tight to players and would dangle out a leg or make a rash sliding tackle rather than just stand up and be strong. He was also a ball watcher and looked terrified whenever he got on the ball. It was, with hindsight, probably mostly a confidence thing, but at the time, he was so bad it was hard to put it all down to lack of confidence.

Saturday was the first time I've seen him play this season and, while there were still a couple of 'moments' (diving in for one ball allowing the winger in behind, and getting caught upfield and being a bit slow getting back on another), he largely lived up to his 'changed man' billing, especially as left back is not his primary position. The two biggest differences, that I saw, were he was quite happy to 'mix it' and looked comfortable and assured on the ball - that pair of give and goes he had with Fosu in the first half was really excellent.

I think he has to do this for a few more games yet before we can start to really trust him again, but he's clearly in a good place right now and I think you have to give KR some credit for that. He got stick earlier in the season for his public backing of Amos over Philips, but he is showing he maybe learnt a trick or two while working with Big Sam about how to fix players with broken confidence. JFC, then Amos, and now Sarr are three players whose careers were stalling badly, but KR seems to have re-lit the fire in all of them.

Long may it continue.

Long may it continue.

Does that mean he'll go Palace?
  • Options

Long may it continue.

Well he did have a slide tackle a bit like this in Saturday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7Rnt5C2qaQ
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

In that bar signing Penny Arcade?
  • Options

SE7toSG3 said:

In that bar signing Penny Arcade?
    Ahh, best new friends.

Fair bought a tear to my eye. :-)
  • Options
    Thought Fosu Henry looked a bit jaded I saw in the Daily Star this morning that Charlton have put a £2 million price tag on him as both Ipswich and Brentford are sniffing around surely we wouldn't be interested in selling him if we are right up there in January?
  • Options
    Leuth said:

I would definitely read the Daily Star and then believe everything in it

As a rule of thumb you're right but didn't Roland asset strip Liege just before he sold it. Leopards and spots come to mind.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

Leuth said:

I would definitely read the Daily Star and then believe everything in it

As a rule of thumb you're right but didn't Roland asset strip Liege just before he sold it. Leopards and spots come to mind.
    If Roland sells any players from this point onwards eg Fosu for 2m, I'd like to think any buyers would reduce their offer by 2m accordingly.
  • Options
    If anyone wants our players in January, the price is way above 2mil. End of.