Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2018 January Transfer Window Rumours Thread (DEADLINE DAY from Page 56)

Comments

• Options

Amos isn’t our fucking player... he belongs to the Woolpack.

All jokes aside, I thought he was only on loan to us...
    He is mate, as Blackpool says above, until the end of the season.
  • Options
    There is positive and there is going way way way OTT before players having even kicked a ball.

Pleased with our business this window (no Meire or Driesen) so far but games are won on the pitch. If only we done this in the summer.

Looking good and welcome Kaikai, sensible loan.

JFC should play as the 10 if we have to play 4231

PS lots of suggested line ups none of which feature Magennis. I expect KR to still pick him for most games this season.

As I've been saying since August we'll be promoted at Rochdale.
  • Options
    cfgs said:

There is positive and there is going way way way OTT before players having even kicked a ball.

Pleased with our business this window (no Meire or Driesen) so far but games are won on the pitch. If only we done this in the summer.

Looking good and welcome Kaikai, sensible loan.

JFC should play as the 10 if we have to play 4231

PS lots of suggested line ups none of which feature Magennis. I expect KR to still pick him for most games this season.

As I've been saying since August we'll be promoted at Rochdale.

Which season?
    This season
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    For the first time in a long time it’s hard to pick the best XI, If josh starts today I’m going to cry
  • Options
    I think we’ve done well getting these players, particularly at one point it looked like we wouldn’t get any, so well done to all who made it happen.
  • Options

For the first time in a long time it’s hard to pick the best XI, If josh starts today I’m going to cry

I hope he will start Magennis with Zyro coming off the bench. The guy's been injured forever and can't be match fit so they'll have to manage his minutes and build up his fitness. Maybe 20 minutes today, half hour v Oxford then start him at Doncaster.

KR will look pretty stupid if he starts him after god knows how long out injured (was it 16-17 months?) and he gets injured again.
  • Options

I hope he will start Magennis with Zyro coming off the bench. The guy's been injured forever and can't be match fit so they'll have to manage his minutes and build up his fitness. Maybe 20 minutes today, half hour v Oxford then start him at Doncaster.

KR will look pretty stupid if he starts him after god knows how long out injured (was it 16-17 months?) and he gets injured again.
    I never wish to decry an opinion of anyone else but "hoping" for Magennis to start is like hoping for a month of rain
  • Options
    I’m confused, KR told he can spend Holmes wages, we then bring a premier league midfielder (albeit bit part) and a £2m championship player.
    This suggests that Holmes must have been on a hell of a salary if it covers these two players, unless they have both taken huge hits on pay.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

I’m confused, KR told he can spend Holmes wages, we then bring a premier league midfielder (albeit bit part) and a £2m championship player.
    This suggests that Holmes must have been on a hell of a salary if it covers these two players, unless they have both taken huge hits on pay.

Bit of both probably. Holmes had been given a new contract in the summer hadn't he?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Simonsen said:

DA9 said:

Bit of both probably. Holmes had been given a new contract in the summer hadn't he?
    Plus their parent club will still be paying part of their wages.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

JamesSeed said:

So assuming everyone is fit apart from Clarke obviously what's the first choice front 4 now?

Mavididi, Reeves, Fosu, Zyro?

Or Mavididi, Fosu, Marshall, Zyro?

Either way the likes of Kaikai, Reeves/Marshall and Magennis on the bench is pretty strong for league one

Mavididi Aribo Fosu Zyro
    Aribo can play deeper.
    Possibly start with Fosu Mavididi Zyro Kaikai with the latter pair in the 9 & 10 roles. Mehhy not.
    He can, but he shouldn’t when JFC is fit. His performances earlier in the season have been vastly underrated. Matches Aribo for goal scoring potential, better range of passing, better defensively but not as athletic or as good running with the ball. Aribo at no. 10 for me.
    Agreed, JFC was absolutely immense until he got hurt. He also popped up with some key goals. But Aribo is banging them in at the moment. He looks a real danger in the attacking third. Maybe him as a 10, but I'm not wholly convinced by his vision yet, and I think he does really well picking the ball up deep and driving at teams, and timing runs into the box, much as JFC has.

Good problem to have. Two players playing for one position. Overall I'd give the nod to JFC, but I don't think you can take Aribo out of the side at the moment.

The other option is to go 4-1-4-1/4-3-3 with Aribo and JFC in midfield (or it could be 4-2-3-1 with Aribo playing as a deeper 10 than players like Fosu, Mav, or Reeves would play-kind of semantics there). I think the two of them in a midfield with Kashi holding could be excellent. Of course that would require dropping an attacking player, and I'm not sure who you drop. My candidate would be Marshall, but he tracks back well and even if I haven't been wholly impressed by him, he has a goal and an assist in the last two games.
  • Options
    cfgs said:

Simonsen said:

DA9 said:

Plus their parent club will still be paying part of their wages.
    Especially Zyro's, it's not as if Wolves will be that concerned about his salary cost at the moment!
  • Options
    Going forward it looks very very good for league one if everything clicks but I still think it’s our defence that’s our Achilles heel. We ship far too many soft goals for my liking. Playoffs are certainly doable but we’re going to lose a few too many to impact on the top two.
  • Options

Going forward it looks very very good for league one if everything clicks but I still think it’s our defence that’s our Achilles heel. We ship far too many soft goals for my liking. Playoffs are certainly doable but we’re going to lose a few too many to impact on the top two.

I agree that looks our weak point now and this season but we've only let in one goal in the last three games (since Lennon came in albeit v poorer sides).

We should also have Bauer back and Pearce is close, Page training again, Lennon playing and we haven't sold Konsa. Yet.

JFC has also been a big miss and Aribo is benefiting from a long run in the side by scoring goals and adding height and strength on the defensive side.

and if we win every game 5 - 2 even Golfie won't complain (OK, maybe he still will).

Meanwhile....

Other teams in the top 7 have also strengthen their already good sides, they have been more consistent so far.

We have to hope that the new players settle in quickly, stay fit and live up to the expectations (some of which on here are silly ie scare prem defences) but it looks very exciting. We can still go on a good run and second place is possible even if difficult.

The other issues is that we have five loan players who more than likely have to be in the 18 and that may not go down so well with our own players who miss out as a result. OK, that is football but it is something Robinson has to manage. It also means we have to re-build again in the summer but let's hope we have to do that anyway because we're in the Championship

Lot of the top sides have to come to the Valley. That is where our final position will decided IMHO.

Promoted at Rochdale.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

JamesSeed said:

So assuming everyone is fit apart from Clarke obviously what's the first choice front 4 now?

Mavididi, Reeves, Fosu, Zyro?

Or Mavididi, Fosu, Marshall, Zyro?

Either way the likes of Kaikai, Reeves/Marshall and Magennis on the bench is pretty strong for league one

Mavididi Aribo Fosu Zyro
    Aribo can play deeper.
    Possibly start with Fosu Mavididi Zyro Kaikai with the latter pair in the 9 & 10 roles. Mehhy not.
    He can, but he shouldn’t when JFC is fit. His performances earlier in the season have been vastly underrated. Matches Aribo for goal scoring potential, better range of passing, better defensively but not as athletic or as good running with the ball. Aribo at no. 10 for me.
    Agreed, JFC was absolutely immense until he got hurt. He also popped up with some key goals. But Aribo is banging them in at the moment. He looks a real danger in the attacking third. Maybe him as a 10, but I'm not wholly convinced by his vision yet, and I think he does really well picking the ball up deep and driving at teams, and timing runs into the box, much as JFC has.

Good problem to have. Two players playing for one position. Overall I'd give the nod to JFC, but I don't think you can take Aribo out of the side at the moment.

The other option is to go 4-1-4-1/4-3-3 with Aribo and JFC in midfield (or it could be 4-2-3-1 with Aribo playing as a deeper 10 than players like Fosu, Mav, or Reeves would play-kind of semantics there). I think the two of them in a midfield with Kashi holding could be excellent. Of course that would require dropping an attacking player, and I'm not sure who you drop. My candidate would be Marshall, but he tracks back well and even if I haven't been wholly impressed by him, he has a goal and an assist in the last two games.
    The best thing now, bar any new injuries, is that for the first time probably this season we have good attacking options off the bench if things are not working out. This could make all the difference to our season.
    I like Aribo as a 10 because he can do some fetch and carry in central midfield if we are struggling on the wings to get the ball forward. He has real strength on the ball and can beat a man. Reeves is a lightweight in comparison.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Sage said:

Thank God for that!

Fantastic signing and going to be very influential going forward, attacking wise for the rest of this season.

Where that gif from mate, I literally saw that kid on my resort in Dominican last year.
    Entertaining annoying little scamp
  • Options

Sage said:

Thank God for that!

Fantastic signing and going to be very influential going forward, attacking wise for the rest of this season.

Where that gif from mate, I literally saw that kid on my resort in Dominican last year.
    Entertaining annoying little scamp
    Just from giphy
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Lot of the top sides have to come to the Valley. That is where our final position will decided IMHO.

Promoted at Rochdale.

Some people will mock - but if the team perform and pick up results against other promotion contenders, then opportunity could still arise.
    Remember, in recent seasons storming 2nd half season runs from Barnsley and (cough) Millwall have resulted in promotion.

To an extent, it's still very much in our own hands.

Agreed, it's far too early to assume the promotion places are all decided. Or indeed the relegation places (thinking about the miracle Warnock did at Rotherham when we went down.)

If we had been taken over by mid January, I'm sure the new owners would have spent some money on the team this window
  • Options
    Uboat said:

I'm excited about this lad, but I was excited about Polish Piotr and that's not even a joke.

So was I lol
  • Options

Anyone know when Amos's contract runs out at Bolton ?
    They wanted rid of him when he joined us but I think that was to get his high wage off the books .
  • Options

They wanted rid of him when he joined us but I think that was to get his high wage off the books .
    End of next season.
  • Options

Before the transfer window SLAMS shut. Can we at least use the right lingo...
    I thought that was TMed by Jim White?
  • Options

End of next season.
    Might be a case where Bolton will be happy to terminate his Contract in the summer (If Amos agrees) to get him off the wage bill

I wasnt happy at the time but he's been a good signing and after that Plymouth error for their second goal I cant think of many other mistakes he's made - Is better than Rudd and would have him back here next season
  • Options

We've just signed a Palace fringe player on loan, Arsenal youth on loan and a Wolves player on loan returning from a bad injury and we would frighten prem sides? Those posts have to be a wind up surely

And I would hazard a guess no one on here has seen Zyro or Kaikai play more than once, if at all.
    Now that would really scare some Prem defences.

Hazard on loan anyone?
    No thanks, at 57 I'm pretty sure Micky's legs have gone!