Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Doncaster Rovers v Charlton Athletic post-match views 10th February 2018

Comments

• Options
    Not at the game either but more than happy to put responsibility for throwing away the win on Robinson something it seems he’ll never do. I’ve seen enough of his ineptitude first hand. The poor subs and late goals recur and Robinson never seems to learn. Equally concerning is the inability to score more goals and that has been the case during the entirety of his reign. Pretty poor for someone who allegedly plays an expansive brand of football. Like the numerous injuries the many missed chances can’t just be coincidence. Up to individuals if they want to swallow the guff he comes out with (today’s rub of the green comment is the latest) I’m not. His time with us is a carbon copy of his time with MK Dons save for one thing - we’re not getting promoted.

• Options
    Was Bauer or Konsa playing left CB?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Was Bauer or Konsa playing left CB?

Bauer. Thought both CB's were outstanding today.
  • Options

clb74 said:

Highlight of the day was on the train home.
    Mate came out with I don't give a f@ck if red bull buy us change our name and move us to another ground if there willing to throw millions at us I'm happy with that.

Sounds like a cracking day if that was the highlight :-)
    F@ck the football spoils a good day out with mates.
    F@cking sitting there with a couple minutes to go a couple of us saying they are gonna score and they do.
    Another f@cking week where other results mainly go our way and we f@ck up.
  • Options
    Phil said:

Not at the game either but more than happy to put responsibility for throwing away the win on Robinson something it seems he’ll never do. I’ve seen enough of his ineptitude first hand. The poor subs and late goals recur and Robinson never seems to learn. Equally concerning is the inability to score more goals and that has been the case during the entirety of his reign. Pretty poor for someone who allegedly plays an expansive brand of football. Like the numerous injuries the many missed chances can’t just be coincidence. Up to individuals if they want to swallow the guff he comes out with (today’s rub of the green comment is the latest) I’m not. His time with us is a carbon copy of his time with MK Dons save for one thing - we’re not getting promoted.

Well not exactly, MK took ages to get promoted so it is indeed a carbon copy. Perhaps we need to wait another couple of years until we get our Deli Alli and a striker like Grigg.

Wasn't Aribo our Alli? Is that why he's on the bench whilst Reeves roams round the pitch doing fuck all.
  • Options

Phil said:

Well not exactly, MK took ages to get promoted so it is indeed a carbon copy. Perhaps we need to wait another couple of years until we get our Deli Alli and a striker like Grigg.

Wasn't Aribo our Alli? Is that why he's on the bench whilst Reeves roams round the pitch doing fuck all.
    Indeed! I stopped short of making the Alli and Grigg references to which you can add Adobe of course. Robinson even then scrapped promotion on the last day of the season and his record in play-offs is like his tactical nous - awful!
  • Options
    Er Afobe!
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    JamesSeed said:

I was talking to a German friend about why England lose on penalties. he said 'it's because you think you're going to lose on penalties'. He then said 'We know we're going to win on penalties. In fact we know we're going to win, full stop'.

We are the opposite of that. 'Expect the worst'. 'It's the hope that kills you'. These have become the Charlton philosophy/expectation. Whether it's based on experience or not it's a negativity that permeates the whole club, from fans to players. Need to break away from that.

I think that’s a reality for most clubs fans. I personally look at every team in this league and who England play against and think we will piss all over them but in reality we won’t. This season is stuttering to a mid table splutter, for various reasons, and I will be surprised on current form if we finish in the top 6.
  • Options
    How can people really blame Robinson after seeing the Doncaster goal?

Ridiculous deflection.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1StevieG said:

JamesSeed said:

I was talking to a German friend about why England lose on penalties. he said 'it's because you think you're going to lose on penalties'. He then said 'We know we're going to win on penalties. In fact we know we're going to win, full stop'.

We are the opposite of that. 'Expect the worst'. 'It's the hope that kills you'. These have become the Charlton philosophy/expectation. Whether it's based on experience or not it's a negativity that permeates the whole club, from fans to players. Need to break away from that.

I think that’s a reality for most clubs fans. I personally look at every team in this league and who England play against and think we will piss all over them but in reality we won’t. This season is stuttering to a mid table splutter, for various reasons, and I will be surprised on current form if we finish in the top 6.
    I know what you mean. All I'm saying is we all get nervous when we're ahead, you can feel it round the stadium. I think the players can pick up on that. Or do they panic anyway, without help from the crowd?
    I prefer the Tuetonic approach. Stick the cherry in the net.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    No doubt we were somewhat unlucky but to a certain extent you "make your own luck" by taking your chances etc when you're ahead and don't repeat the same mistakes, the most glaring of which is letting your lead slip in the final minutes.

We will keep plugging away and when looking towards the rest of the season, our quality will see us win enough games to finish in the 5th to 8th range. Unfortunately we are not ruthless enough to be doing any better than that, and that is not good enough.
  • Options

Ridiculous deflection.

in his defence, he cannot be blamed for the goal and the goal was a fluke.

Nevertheless, he continues to make poor decisions of which he has to take responsibility.
    You know full well you'd be full of praise if we'd won that 0-1. The fact we didn't is just bad luck.
  • Options

Ridiculous deflection.

Nevertheless, he continues to make poor decisions of which he has to take responsibility.
    how for fecks sake was their goal a fluke ??? I suppose the player wasn't trying to score but passing it to the steward in the stands when it unluckily took a deflection to one of his team mates who was standing unmarked 4 yards from goal.

maybe, just maybe, if Reeves had tried passing to the same steward (it was at the same end) then his shot too may have taken a deflection............but he didn't decide to shoot, did he ?? He tried passing to a player in a worse position than he was. Utter twonk.
  • Options
    Only saw the highlights, not taking our chances looked as much of the issue as the goal at the end which took a wicked deflection. Fosu should have finished his one on one, the keeper was so far out as he approached he had ample time to lob him.

We have the double edged sword of conceding too many goals AND not scoring enough, 5 points thrown away in the last two games, would have seen us safely in the middle of the play off positions with games in hand to cement a 3rd/4th place.

But we just don't have enough, I hope to be proved wrong but still see us 7th-12th.
  • Options

Ridiculous deflection.

how for fecks sake was their goal a fluke ??? I suppose the player wasn't trying to score but passing it to the steward in the stands when it unluckily took a deflection to one of his team mates who was standing unmarked 4 yards from goal.

maybe, just maybe, if Reeves had tried passing to the same steward (it was at the same end) then his shot too may have taken a deflection............but he didn't decide to shoot, did he ?? He tried passing to a player in a worse position than he was. Utter twonk.
    ok perhaps not a fluke, but if you put your anger to one side for a minute you will agree it was certainly fortuitous. Lennon playing him onside didn't help but a ball deflecting into the path of their best positioned player was very fortunate.

Completely agree about Reeves, the bloke was useless, as he has been pretty much every time he has played.
  • Options

Ridiculous deflection.

You know full well you'd be full of praise if we'd won that 0-1. The fact we didn't is just bad luck.
    Full of praise for what? Beating a Doncaster side which was possibly the worst side I have seen in league 1 this season.

Even if we had won the game, leaving Reeves on for as long as he did was still a bad decision. One because he was shit and two because he was knackered.

It's not bad luck, we didn't get the second and kill the game off. Robinson has to take part blame for that because it's a continuous theme under him. Of course not his fault Fosu missed a sitter. Taking Dasilva off for Lennon was not a good call, said it straight away because it was a totally unnecessary change.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fanny - an absolute pleasure to meet you and definitely hope to catch up again on another away day soon, hopefully with a better result to enjoy.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    I can't wait to truly care about Charlton again. To tell the truth (and despite my reaction in the match thread) I was totally numb to Bauer's opening goal and I was numb to the Donny equaliser. I would've gone ballistic at both goals four or five years ago.

Just sell the club.
  • Options
    If he won’t re think the 4231, he needs to start Aribo in the no 10 position. I agree with trying to get a player in there who wants to pass the ball rather than just run with it, but Reeves just hasn’t done enough to justify a starting place.

JFC seems to be getting into the box less than he did earlier in the season too.
  • Options
    Can you fault Robinson for the subs? Fosu has been out for a while so it made sense to bring him off and Kaikai should have been an injection of pace on the counter. Jacko with five to go and Lennon for the last few balls into the box would have been what most of us would have wanted. Dropping Aribo after his performances recently tho, that was stupid.
  • Options

Regarding the collection today for little Jack Jeffereys, I've just discovered that a total of £379.64 was given today.

Thank you SO much to everyone that contributed.

Thank you for doing the collection Fanny-it was a lovely gesture and it's nice to hear that all were generous. I'm sure the family will be very grateful.