Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Doncaster Rovers v Charlton Athletic post-match views 10th February 2018

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2018

If he won’t re think the 4231, he needs to start Aribo in the no 10 position. I agree with trying to get a player in there who wants to pass the ball rather than just run with it, but Reeves just hasn’t done enough to justify a starting place.

JFC seems to be getting into the box less than he did earlier in the season too.

Whether at number 10 or deeper in midfield, Aribo needs to be in the team full stop. He scored three in four games didn't he? And then JFC walks straight back into the team. What more could Joe have done?
  • Options
    PWR.
    Watched the stream but too disappointed to post yesterday.
    Two matches in a row ruined by very poor substitutions and in game management. We ought to have been more than one in the lead, but generally played very well with a balanced looking team...even with Reeves playing.
    Some of our players were outstanding, very particularly Kashi.
    Our fans were awesome.
  • Options
    I can understand making subs in injury time at the end of a game, if you are losing. However if you are winning, why make a change at the back, how can you expect the sub to come on and fit right in?
  • Options
    The subs completely imbalanced the left flank. Magennis plus Lennon against a relatively fresh right winger, come on what did he expect?

Reeves should have been nowhere near that second half either. Waste of a shirt.
  • Options

I can understand making subs in injury time at the end of a game, if you are losing. However if you are winning, why make a change at the back, how can you expect the sub to come on and fit right in?

I've never been a great fan of making defensive substitutions at the end of a game when defending a single goal lead - seems to lead to chaos far too often.
  • Options
    We'd played well and handled everything they threw our way so didn't really see the need for the sub. I can appreciate he's tried a different style of subs this time for last week but it still seemed a lack of tactical awareness with the changes. And although their goal was lucky, they shouldn't have been in the position to get that luck. Why do we sit back defending a 1-0 lead for so long :'(
  • Options
    Robinson did a job for Duchatalet (ie he was willing to take the job and play nicely with Katrien) but it seems the top half of League 1 is the extent of his abilities, allied to a complete lack of a Plan B when Plan A doesn't work. He's here until the Belgian goes (let's face it, which clubs are going to be trying to tempt him to bail) at which point I suspect he will be gently eased out.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Whilst we clearly are not great at defending a lead, it is natural to try to hold what you have in the closing moments of a game when your lead is a slender one. Maybe the bigger issue is how often we fail to take chances to kill teams off. This is propably where we miss a BWP type player the most. Ayway,a win on Tuesday and we are decently placed. I just hope that if we get the first we go all out for the second and then the third. I think this approach will gain us more points overall given the sort of team we are.
  • Options
    If we have to play there at 3pm on a Saturday next season. Please can we not have it on the same day as two yorkshire derbies such as Sheff U v Leeds, Barnsley v Wendies. We also had Rotherham crossing to Scunthorpe. Doncaster was full of bloody pigs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Reeves rightly getting a lot of stick as he again looked so lightweight and out of his depth.
    But is it just me? Am I missing something fundemental when it comes to Forster-Caskey? Maybe I'm in the minority? Maybe the Saudi sun has unbalanced my viewpoint and thought process in some way? I just don't see it in him whatsoever. Slow, cumbersome, lazy and in the main, wholly ineffective. More than happy to (please) be educated.
  • Options
    HandG said:

If he won’t re think the 4231, he needs to start Aribo in the no 10 position. I agree with trying to get a player in there who wants to pass the ball rather than just run with it, but Reeves just hasn’t done enough to justify a starting place.

JFC seems to be getting into the box less than he did earlier in the season too.

Whether at number 10 or deeper in midfield, Aribo needs to be in the team full stop. He scored three in four games didn't he? And then JFC walks straight back into the team. What more could Joe have done?
    Agree 100%. I can understand rotating or resting him, but not a pecking order that has him firmly below JFC.
    I get stick for backing Robbo, and I still think people underestimate what a state we were in before he took over, but I'm getting increasingly annoyed by some of his selections, and one or two of his substitutions recently.
  • Options
    Can sometimes please tell me when the last time was that we were 2-0 up (or 3-1....ie, 2 goals clear) with 10 mins to go. Also, when did we last win comfortably, ie 3-0, 4-0. I know we beat Northampton 4-1 on the 3rd game of the season, but 2 of those goals came in injury time. Have we ever done this under Robinson ???
  • Options
    HandG said:

Regarding the collection today for little Jack Jeffereys, I've just discovered that a total of £379.64 was given today.

Thank you SO much to everyone that contributed.

Thank you for doing the collection Fanny-it was a lovely gesture and it's nice to hear that all were generous. I'm sure the family will be very grateful.
    The very least I could do, HG but let's be clear on this.

The fund raising has been instigated by Clare Sadlier , a long term supporter who many will know by sight, if not name.

Clare had been collecting in the Fans' Club at the ground whilst I was meeting up with our gang & having a quick lunch.

At half time, she continued to "work" on the concourse whilst I took my bucket around the away area.

I'm sure this very worthy cause for one of our own will gain momentum over the next few weeks & I'll help whenever I can.

But the thanks should go to Clare.
  • Options

Can sometimes please tell me when the last time was that we were 2-0 up (or 3-1....ie, 2 goals clear) with 10 mins to go. Also, when did we last win comfortably, ie 3-0, 4-0. I know we beat Northampton 4-1 on the 3rd game of the season, but 2 of those goals came in injury time. Have we ever done this under Robinson ???

Fleetwood away
  • Options

Regarding the collection today for little Jack Jeffereys, I've just discovered that a total of £379.64 was given today.

Didn't realise I'd met Fanny. Dad and I had a quick chat with you after donating. Well done.
  • Options

Didn't realise I'd met Fanny. Dad and I had a quick chat with you after donating. Well done.
    Aw, wish you'd have introduced yourself ! Next time....

Mind you, I may have detected a sharp intake of breath when I revealed my name to @cafctom on the train home.....

( Only kidding, Tom !)
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

HandG said:

Agree 100%. I can understand rotating or resting him, but not a pecking order that has him firmly below JFC.
    I get stick for backing Robbo, and I still think people underestimate what a state we were in before he took over, but I'm getting increasingly annoyed by some of his selections, and one or two of his substitutions recently.
    Absolutely this.

Robinson has done a decent job and I have backed him too. Just feel he has weaknesses letting him down and it can cost points.

Certainly cannot complain at his signings. Would love him as scout or D of F as Dasilva, Fosu, Mavididi JFC all been good signings. Yes we waited for Reeves too long but not many were complaining about him or Marshall despite how poor they have been
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

JamesSeed said:

HandG said:

Absolutely this.

Robinson has done a decent job and I have backed him too. Just feel he has weaknesses letting him down and it can cost points.

Certainly cannot complain at his signings. Would love him as scout or D of F as Dasilva, Fosu, Mavididi JFC all been good signings. Yes we waited for Reeves too long but not many were complaining about him or Marshall despite how poor they have been
    well I was, from day one & even before.
  • Options

Fleetwood away
    So, is that one game in about 60 since he's been in charge. I would say a blind beggar could do better than that then.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

JamesSeed said:

HandG said:

Absolutely this.

well I was, from day one & even before.
    Yes, but tbf you complain about everything :wink: a stopped clock .....
  • Options

Reeves rightly getting a lot of stick as he again looked so lightweight and out of his depth.
    But is it just me? Am I missing something fundemental when it comes to Forster-Caskey? Maybe I'm in the minority? Maybe the Saudi sun has unbalanced my viewpoint and thought process in some way? I just don't see it in him whatsoever. Slow, cumbersome, lazy and in the main, wholly ineffective. More than happy to (please) be educated.

Forster - Caskey is a proficient third tier midfielder which is where we find ourselves.

Very few of our players are capable of performing at a higher level in my view. Konsa and Fosu probably but then I'm struggling. Solly has the ability but no longer the fitness thanks to his injuries.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Forster - Caskey is a proficient third tier midfielder which is where we find ourselves.

Very few of our players are capable of performing at a higher level in my view. Konsa and Fosu probably but then I'm struggling. Solly has the ability but no longer the fitness thanks to his injuries.
    I said this a few weeks ago, maybe in a different context but the thread was closed and put in the post match comments (which I didnt agree with as it was a fairly valid talking point on its own) but queried the desire to get promoted as barely any of our players are good enough for the championship.
  • Options

Someone I know claims to know Bowyer and says that he (Bowyer) and Jacko think that Robinson is a useless knob and largely ignore him. I’ve always thought that was BS but I’m beginning to wonder.

Can't speak for everyone, but not a very sensible thing to post....especially as you can't prove it.
    Your post is entirely unsubstantiated and could possibly lead to discord.
    PS....don't be a knob!
  • Options

LenGlover said:

I said this a few weeks ago, maybe in a different context but the thread was closed and put in the post match comments (which I didnt agree with as it was a fairly valid talking point on its own) but queried the desire to get promoted as barely any of our players are good enough for the championship.
    That's an interesting take on the situation. I doubt many of them think they couldn't make it in The Championship though.
  • Options

sm said:

JamesSeed said:

I wonder how many of the above comments come from people who didn't actually watch the game but can't wait to get stuck in to the team or Robinson. Anyone care to admit that?

Happy to admit I wasn't at the game and that I don't think Robinson is up to the job - I note for the second week in the row he is blaming the team rather than taking responsibility himself. I said the same last week. This is just a management 101 failure in any field not just football.
    Players have to take responsibility too but can't disagree with what your saying. He's making poor decisions and he's not taking us up.
    To be fair, he does have a point!
  • Options

Aw, wish you'd have introduced yourself ! Next time....

Mind you, I may have detected a sharp intake of breath when I revealed my name to @cafctom on the train home.....

( Only kidding, Tom !)
    We were the pair stuffing our faces with balti pie! Mind you, doesn't really narrow it down!
  • Options

sm said:

JamesSeed said:

I wonder how many of the above comments come from people who didn't actually watch the game but can't wait to get stuck in to the team or Robinson. Anyone care to admit that?

Happy to admit I wasn't at the game and that I don't think Robinson is up to the job - I note for the second week in the row he is blaming the team rather than taking responsibility himself. I said the same last week. This is just a management 101 failure in any field not just football.
    Players have to take responsibility too but can't disagree with what your saying. He's making poor decisions and he's not taking us up.
    To be fair, he does have a point!
    He does. But he also seems to like passing the blame. About time he took accountability when he makes mistakes.