Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shrewsbury 0-2 Charlton Post match views.

Comments

• Options

Dazzler21 said:

Well that's a surprise...

I'm not actually surprised. Typical Charlton to win when you least expect it. We'll probably get good points vs Pompey and Blackburn too, but blow it away to Rochdale on the last day. You all know what we're like.

I am however flabbergasted that we scored late on to kill the game. I literally cannot remember the last time we were penned in defending a one-nil and then got one in injury time to settle the nerves. I'm not even sure I've ever seen us do it.

Play-off qualification is in our own hands, but I worry we'll come to rue that defeat to Scunthorpe. We could have killed them off, but instead we threw them a life line. Plymouth will likely finish above us with their games in hand but we have the chance to put Pompey out of it on Saturday. Had we beaten Scunthorpe we'd be home and hosed with a win on Saturday, but now I think we need 7 points from our last 9including beating Pompey and with Blackburn to come. Not impossible but still a big ask.
    Yes, they were dead and buried, and now (when you look at their fixtures against Walsall and MKD next) have a great chance.
  • Options
    if we get through, Shrewsbury could well be our semi-final opponents.
  • Options

We are such a weird club.

Unique!

• Options
    Have we made it more likely that Blackburn will be able to seal promotion at the Valley? Does that help us by reducing the pressure on them, or give them added incentive to beat us? We must hope all they need is a point and are able to take their foot off the gas a little.
  • Options
    (Watched on Insta)

We looked a better balanced side today. Far more energetic than the last couple of games.

Konsa was excellent in midfield. You could say he contributed a little more than Mr Kaikai had been. Page and JFC were very solid. Fosu and Mavididi showed flashes of what they can do, enough to keep Shrewsbury on their toes. Both almost scored wonder goals.

But an all round very good performance from the boys.

Pleased Mag scored, although he wasn't really up to speed before that. With a real striker, and a genuine right back we'd be a stronger, more dangerous side.

I'd say we might nick a playoff spot, but I don't want to tempt fate.
  • Options

Yeh dunno about anyone else but that was strongly playing on my mind watching the game
  • Options
    PWR.
    Watched on ifollow.
    I have been too depressed to report the last three matches, but this one merits a mention.
    Essentially we have learned to, or been allowed to play proper muscular competitive football by Lee Bowyer.
    Neil Ardley and Graham Alexander as experienced guys know only too well the virtue of spirit and teamwork, and we are finding those resources, and as Bowyer says, we have one or two decent players too to go with the effort.
    I don't believe Shrewsbury had one attempt on target, and our back five were excellent, with Pearce playing a good old muck and bullets Captains game, and bundling one in for good measure.
    Then you look at JFC with yet another new set up around him, not only did he run the game for us, but was also prepared to get scrapping when needed, and always with an eye to help others.
    JFC pips Pearce as MoM for me.
    The robust nature of the game was a lesson for Tarique and Mav that in football you have to take the hits and still stand up to it. They are both young and learning, but their innate skill served them well on a few occasions, Fosu bringing out a great save, and Mav wriggling to good effect in tight situations.
    Konsa stepped up in yet another new role, and Josh took the hits and scored a clever goal at the death. Marshall wasn't all that, but there is always one player not quite at it.
    I have avoided the league table and haven't a clue as to the implications of that result as I have given up on the play offs, I wonder if I should emerge from behind the sofa and take a peek at where we stand.
  • Options
    Has to be beat result of the season? Can't wait for Pompey on Saturday now....
  • Options
    Brilliant win, SSN saying we were great today!
    That's it boys get the blip out the way now before Wembley
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Have we made it more likely that Blackburn will be able to seal promotion at the Valley? Does that help us by reducing the pressure on them, or give them added incentive to beat us? We must hope all they need is a point and are able to take their foot off the gas a little.

They could have promotion wrapped up before their visit following tonight's results.

They're now five points ahead of Shrewsbury with four to play for both teams. We won't meet until both Blackburn and Shrewsbury have played 44 games.

So if Blackburn win their next two and Shrewsbury drop points somewhere, they'll already be up.
  • Options
    What a surprise!

I was so convinced we'd lay down and die I didn't bother to follow it and watched a documentary instead.

Not convinced we won't be overtaken but at least we've given ourselves a chance once more.

We need the win at Portsmouth that we all hoped for back in December at The Valley.
  • Options
    Did anyone else watching via iFollow find the two sets of players really chummy?

Nsaila was down for an age in the penalty area and during that time, Godfrey was having a friendly chat with both Konsa and Fosu... Magennis then went and joined in

Then when we scored the second, Godfrey and Konsa seemed to clash very briefly in the goal before they realised they'd been talking earlier and quickly stopped what could have been handbags at dawn - Even then their Goalkeeper seemed to start having a chat with Magennis once we'd celebrated the goal
  • Options

Yeh dunno about anyone else but that was strongly playing on my mind watching the game
    A side of me was thinking a week ago that I wouldn't bother going tonight as we might be playing them in the playoffs...
  • Options
    The storm before the calm?
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Leuth said:

Brilliant win, SSN saying we were great today!
    That's it boys get the blip out the way now before Wembley

I think we need at least 7 points from our last 3 games. No blip allowed
    Agree with this. I said 10 before tonight's game so seven points needed from here. Six or less and we start having to rely on others to drop points.
  • Options

Did anyone else watching via iFollow find the two sets of players really chummy?

Nsaila was down for an age in the penalty area and during that time, Godfrey was having a friendly chat with both Konsa and Fosu... Magennis then went and joined in

Then when we scored the second, Godfrey and Konsa seemed to clash very briefly in the goal before they realised they'd been talking earlier and quickly stopped what could have been handbags at dawn - Even then their Goalkeeper seemed to start having a chat with Magennis once we'd celebrated the goal

I noticed that too.
    It was competitive sure, but not nasty and niggly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Brilliant result after a shit week . Now for Pompey .
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Really pleased I opted for Blackpool away instead

You wouldn't want to be tagged as a glory-hunter, would you?
  • Options
    Scunthorpe v Plymouth will be the key to our playoff hopex
  • Options
    Dont forget Scunthorpe v Plymouth in mid week before we take on Rochdale, unable to work out if that is good or bad news.

Portsmouth this Saturday is going to be one hell of agame and i am stuck on a golf course in Hamburg.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Shrewsbury were poor in that Checkatrade final against Lincoln. They weren’t that great when we played them at home but were organized and did the basics right and still beat us 2-0. Play off spots going down to the wire now.
  • Options

Charlton are a "nice" team, we play much better against "nice" teams as well, rather than the niggly ones

Impressed that Konsa was the player who followed in the shot incidentally
  • Options
    Looking at that table and the upcoming fixtures we are going to fall just short.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

Shrewsbury were poor in that Checkatrade final against Lincoln. They weren’t that great when we played them at home but were organized and did the basics right and still beat us 2-0. Play off spots going down to the wire now.

It was that result against Lincoln that made me slightly hopeful...

Charlton are a "nice" team, we play much better against "nice" teams as well, rather than the niggly ones

Impressed that Konsa was the player who followed in the shot incidentally
    Was impressive that Konsa was the player getting on the end of a good few shots tonight, could have had a hat-trick if he could actually strike the ball