Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shrewsbury 0-2 Charlton Post match views.

Comments

• Options
    We 'll slaughter pompey and Blackburn and cock up v Rochdale....it is written
  • Options
    I think we need 2 wins and a draw so still a lot to do.
  • Options
    I am hoping history does not repeat itself In 1958-59 we needed a draw at home to blackburn to go up to the old div 1 we lost 4-3 after taking the lead.(I may be a year out).They went up instead.I have never forgotten the utter desolation I felt on the way home that day so to come this far now and not reach the play offs would be difficult to take.\we have beaten 3 top 6 teams now no reason not to continue this,especially after last night result.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I can see Konsa holding his place in the side. He added a bit of dynamism. But Bowyer will also want to play Reeves. And Marshall's very good at protecting the full back. JFC has been looking very good.
    The next team selection will be tricky.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

I can see Konsa holding his place in the side. He added a bit of dynamism. But Bowyer will also want to play Reeves. And Marshalls very good at protecting the full back. JFC has been looking very good.
    The next team selection will be tricky.

I would be tempted to leave it us at is but replace Marshall with Reeves, he still offers great work rate and defensive cover but offers so much more going forward. The rest of the team can stay the same.
  • Options
    It’s the hope that kills you!

Well done boys
  • Options
    edited April 2018

I am hoping history does not repeat itself In 1958-59 we needed a draw at home to blackburn to go up to the old div 1 we lost 4-3 after taking the lead.(I may be a year out).They went up instead.I have never forgotten the utter desolation I felt on the way home that day so to come this far now and not reach the play offs would be difficult to take.\we have beaten 3 top 6 teams now no reason not to continue this,especially after last night result.

I shared your pain back then but it was 57/58 mate and we only needed a draw to go straight back up after being relegated from the top flight the previous season after 15 seasons (no competition during the war years). No one said being a Charlton fan would be easy......Que Sera Sera :wink: . COYRs
  • Options

Wasnt that the day when Keith Peacock became a Charlton fan?
  • Options
    Nullify Pitman (easier said than done i know) and we could scrape a result. Hopefully there confidence has been knocked a bit and start the game slower than we do.

Do we start Mag or Zyro ( i know hes been poor last couple but can imagine his fitness isnt up to scratch with how long he was out for).

Personally would go for Mag and Ajose/Mavididi feeding off his hold up play.

Either way bring on Saturday!! Looking forward to it!!
  • Options

Nullify Pitman (easier said than done i know) and we could scrape a result. Hopefully there confidence has been knocked a bit and start the game slower than we do.

Do we start Mag or Zyro ( i know hes been poor last couple but can imagine his fitness isnt up to scratch with how long he was out for).

I'd definitely go with Magennis... Dont see the point in dropping a Striker after they've just scored.

Would still put Ajose in ahead of Mavididi, the former chases a lot more lost causes and will put Defenders under pressure more
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think we have to have Fosu and Mav starting and Magennis works best with that set up.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Depending on any knocks / fatigue I'd stick with same team and I think Bowyer is of the same mind set 'If ain't broke don't fix it' as evidenced by his initial three match winning run.
  • Options
    Can anyone explain to me the two dismal performance against Wimbledon and Scunthorpe in the light of the other Lee Bowyer results and performances ?

It’s baffling.

• Options
    edited April 2018

Can anyone explain to me the two dismal performance against Wimbledon and Scunthorpe in the light of the other Lee Bowyer results and performances ?

It’s baffling.

Yes but it's football. I bet you had some bad days at work mate, I know I did :wink: .

Possibly a mental attitude, possibly behind the scenes uncertainty, who knows but whatever it was they got the message prior to kick off from Bowyer last night 'Sh*t or bust lads, its your call'..............and they stepped up to the plate :smiley: .
  • Options

It’s baffling.

It's not baffling It's Charlton
  • Options

I'd definitely go with Magennis... Dont see the point in dropping a Striker after they've just scored.

Would still put Ajose in ahead of Mavididi, the former chases a lot more lost causes and will put Defenders under pressure more
    Good point actually...Mavi would be good if we needed a goal in the last 15 against tired defenders.
  • Options

What time did people get home?

The coach arrived back at Charlton 1.15am i arrived home in Abbey Wood at 1.35am,via 2 buses.
  • Options

It’s baffling.

Like the others Shrewsbury needed a result against us so had to attack us to get that goal... For once we sat back and invited them to break us down for a change.

Also Shrewsbury sat off us when we had the ball, giving us the time and space to pass it about effectively. Whereas Wimbledon and Scunthorpe didnt give us that luxury and closed the space down at every opportunity
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Not so baffling. We lack true goalscorers. Plymouth were full of confidence and came to beat us - big mistake - Northampton were rubbish - Wimbledon were a team of big donkeys - one of the least skillful in the league, but when we attacked they always had at least two more bodies in their own box and we don't have the players to ping one in from 30 yards - we gifted them their goal. Scunthorpe were a better side, but they kept to the same blueprint. It is our big problem - to beat us, you need to stop us - it is a big mistake to go toe to toe with us.

We do need to formulate a plan to play against this - I would personally swap a central defender for an attacking midfielder - we have to get bodies in the box to use opponents tactics against them.

Having said that - Pompey need to beat us on Saturday and Blackburn have enough ability to play to win against us. Rochdale will probably play to stop us.

One thing I liked about yesterday was we got the ball forwards more quickly with less meaningless safe passing.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Depending on any knocks / fatigue I'd stick with same team and I think Bowyer is of the same mind set 'If ain't broke don't fix it' as evidenced by his initial three match winning run.

Id be shocked if Dasilva didnt start ahead of Page... Dijksteel could also be rested with Konsa filling in at RB with either Kashi or Reeves starting.

Dijksteel starting two games in a row at RB is definitely against what Bowyer has been doing of late
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

a great result and really put the cat back amongst the pidgeons. Still need a minimum of seven points from the remaining nine and then just pray. All nine would do it. Still think we will fall just short but at least we are making a fist of it whilst a few weeks ago a top ten finish looked the best we could hope for. If only KR had gone a month sooner.

Absolutely this. If we don't make it people will point to the three games under Bowyer. Easy to forget the mid season disaster under the previous bloke...
    6 Points would be enough....as long as 3 of those are against Portsmouth.
  • Options

It’s baffling.

Tarique Fosu...
  • Options

RedChaser said:

Id be shocked if Dasilva didnt start ahead of Page... Dijksteel could also be rested with Konsa filling in at RB with either Kashi or Reeves starting.

Dijksteel starting two games in a row at RB is definitely against what Bowyer has been doing of late
    I don't rate Dasilva as a defender - Page may be a more limited footballer but is more reliable defensively.
  • Options
    I think Da Silva is decent but Page has done well since regaining his fitness. Good to have cover and options.
  • Options

It’s baffling.

We didn’t try and pass out from the back. Strategy was get it up front quick and let our skilful players cause problems in final third.
  • Options

I think Da Silva is decent but Page has done well since regaining his fitness. Good to have cover and options.

Until Page came back from injury I was worried about our Left-Back prospects for next season as regardless of the League I'd be surprised if Dasilva was to come back for a third time

Now we've seen what Lewis can truly do I dont mind so much

RedChaser said:

I don't rate Dasilva as a defender - Page may be a more limited footballer but is more reliable defensively.
    Still think he'd be better cover for Fosu than what we've currently got
  • Options
    Da Siva or Page at the moment are just the sort of headaches a Manager can suffer :wink: .
  • Options

It’s baffling.

We didn’t try and pass out from the back. Strategy was get it up front quick and let our skilful players cause problems in final third.
    Makes a lot of sense. I felt that the reason we didn't create more chances against Scunthorpe was that we weren't direct enough.