Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shrewsbury 0-2 Charlton Post match views.

Comments

• Options
    Charlton V Blackburn 1957/58 Charlton: Duff, P Firmani, Townsend, Hewie, Ufton, Kiernan, Werge, Lucas, Leary, White, Summers
    Blackburn: Leyland, Whelan, Eckersley, R. Clayton, Woods, McGrath, Douglas, Dobing, Johnson, Vernon. McLeod

Last game of the season, we lost 3-4. Please, please don't let that happen again!
    Too young to attend match but listened on the radio.
    Only needed a draw to go back to Division 1.
  • Options
    If you think about it, Grapevine is kind of the Katniss of CL
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    What stood out was the difference in size and height between the teams.
    It was an astonishing contrast, and explained why we won so few clean headers.
    Salops energy fell away after our goal but in the last 5 they noticeably increased their desire and work rate. -
    Their cup final looked to have taken its toll and they were making way too many Charlton esque errors.
    £3.50 a pint and the friendliest staff and free parking at the park and ride - last year you could park in the retail park - made it a decent away trip, just lacking a pre match pub.
    Steward told me they have full on battles in the car park when Walsall come to visit.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Can anyone explain to me the two dismal performance against Wimbledon and Scunthorpe in the light of the other Lee Bowyer results and performances ?

It’s baffling.

Like the others Shrewsbury needed a result against us so had to attack us to get that goal... For once we sat back and invited them to break us down for a change.

Also Shrewsbury sat off us when we had the ball, giving us the time and space to pass it about effectively. Whereas Wimbledon and Scunthorpe didnt give us that luxury and closed the space down at every opportunity
    It's funny how opinions differ on a game.
    It appeared to us that Shrewsbury has 3 men closing down the ball carrier whenever we were outside our own third. Impressed with their tactics, which were very effective in the first half, but faded as the game went on,
  • Options

Nullify Pitman (easier said than done i know) and we could scrape a result. Hopefully there confidence has been knocked a bit and start the game slower than we do.

Do we start Mag or Zyro ( i know hes been poor last couple but can imagine his fitness isnt up to scratch with how long he was out for).

Personally would go for Mag and Ajose/Mavididi feeding off his hold up play.

Either way bring on Saturday!! Looking forward to it!!

I'd definitely go with Magennis... Dont see the point in dropping a Striker after they've just scored.

Would still put Ajose in ahead of Mavididi, the former chases a lot more lost causes and will put Defenders under pressure more
    There's an element of truth in that. I always find Magennis disappointing, and I think he's one of the reasons we've struggled this season. But having competition from Zyro, potentially a much better player, might have given him a boost.
  • Options
    Just keep winning Charlton!
  • Options
    Absolutely inept refereeing.
    Seriously any random from the crowd would have been fitter and made better decisions.
  • Options

Can anyone explain to me the two dismal performance against Wimbledon and Scunthorpe in the light of the other Lee Bowyer results and performances ?

It’s baffling.

We didn’t try and pass out from the back. Strategy was get it up front quick and let our skilful players cause problems in final third.
    Makes a lot of sense. I felt that the reason we didn't create more chances against Scunthorpe was that we weren't direct enough.

Yes, it was great to see them smashing the ball up top when they were even remotely under pressure. With Magennis, Fosu and Mavididi up there we're always going to call teams problems. They don't like it up 'em you know.
  • Options
    I thought we created the better chances - even in the first half - which as an away side playing a team vying for an automatic place is pretty decent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I said to myself I wouldn't go over the top again if we get a big win and I'll stick to it.

It was hard not to get a real buzz from that result though, back in 5th and now a huge game at the weekend with a big away crowd, can't wait. I'm not too worried about the teams around us games in hand, I just think of how that turned out for us and hopefully it balances itself out.

I didn't think Shrewsbury were any good, maybe they're burnt out over a long season? I still think play offs is brilliant for them but based on how average they look and how many points we have dropped its a shame we aren't playing for the title rather than sneaking a play off place. First half we were pony second half we looked a lot more energetic and determined. On to the next one
  • Options

Posting without eating breakfast.

Arill buzzing from watching thay last night. What a performance. Every player on that pitch did themselves proud. Fought hard and never gave an inch. Proper Charlton performance.

Special word for Konsa who was there for every second ball and was everywhere in midfield - best performance from him in ages.
    Pearce - what a fighter of a man.
    Magennis - led the line brilliantly and deserved that goal at the end even if it was down to them going all our for a goal.

Steady Canters! That could catch on!!
  • Options
    "You're just a one season wonder" chant just before our first made me laugh.
    Thought their support was excellent, if a little repetitive.
    So much better than last year.
    It's what winning does!
  • Options
    Have to give them a lot of credit and you can see why they have been successful - big and strong, but they can pass and they try to be positive. We were just technically better than them yesterday.
  • Options

I think Da Silva is decent but Page has done well since regaining his fitness. Good to have cover and options.

Until Page came back from injury I was worried about our Left-Back prospects for next season as regardless of the League I'd be surprised if Dasilva was to come back for a third time

Now we've seen what Lewis can truly do I dont mind so much

RedChaser said:

Depending on any knocks / fatigue I'd stick with same team and I think Bowyer is of the same mind set 'If ain't broke don't fix it' as evidenced by his initial three match winning run.

Id be shocked if Dasilva didnt start ahead of Page... Dijksteel could also be rested with Konsa filling in at RB with either Kashi or Reeves starting.

Dijksteel starting two games in a row at RB is definitely against what Bowyer has been doing of late
    I don't rate Dasilva as a defender - Page may be a more limited footballer but is more reliable defensively.
    Still think he'd be better cover for Fosu than what we've currently got
    I see Dasilva more as a midfielder than a LB - he looks far better going forward than he does defending. He does look a good player but is he really suited to be a defender.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

What a day. Had good news on the prostate front, but far more importantly, what a win!

Thanks fellas. It's a long time since I've had 40 likes. In fact it's a long time since I've had four likes, if I'm honest.

Has been a tricky time, and if anyone else has similar issues, feel free to pm me. I've learned a lot over the last couple of weeks.
    Very pleased that you've had good news!
  • Options

Well dont see Shrewsbury getting through the Play-Offs

Thought they were very ordinary and only looked a threat at times because we let them... Dont remember Amos having a save to make and from the 60th min when finally we started to attack, we looked the only side likely to win - Huge game on Saturday against Portsmouth, unfortunately our fate isnt in our hands still but win our next three and we (the fans) cant ask much more

You could say the same thing about us on Saturday against Scunny.
  • Options
    addick05 said:

Well dont see Shrewsbury getting through the Play-Offs

Thought they were very ordinary and only looked a threat at times because we let them... Dont remember Amos having a save to make and from the 60th min when finally we started to attack, we looked the only side likely to win - Huge game on Saturday against Portsmouth, unfortunately our fate isnt in our hands still but win our next three and we (the fans) cant ask much more

You could say the same thing about us on Saturday against Scunny.
    Funnily from seeing Plymouth | Rotherham | Shrewsbury in recent weeks I dont see any of us winning the Play-Offs... I do think we'll be in them with those three sides though so one of us will have to win them
  • Options

I am sorry it really is not baffling. We are not schizophrenic. We are very inconsistent for a reason. In large part we put out a team of children. Take a look at the Millwall squad. They have their youngsters but they have to earn their place competing with senior professionals not walk into the side because there is no one else.

Djiksteel, Page, Fosu, Mavididi, Konsa, Kaikai, Dasilva, Ahearne Grant before this campaign have a barely a full season of starting appearances - BETWEEN THEM.

In recent games we have played Ajose and Zyros Sat - Tues - Sat Tues etc having barely played all season - they have not got the legs. Magennis has been run into the ground all season. He reminds me of a character from "They shoot horses, don't they".

In a physical league to match physicality you have to run your b*****ks off. We have not had the physicality and depth of squad to deliver that game in game out. I doubt we have even now. If we manage to get over the play off line it is going to require a monumental physical effort to rise to the challenge of the play offs.

You cannot simply manufacture match sharpness and consistency in a matter of a few weeks.

In such circumstances we will be consistently inconsistent.

I have no idea which team will turn up at Portsmouth or whether we will have the legs to even last a play off campaign - if we get over line.

It is what drives me to distraction - for the cost of a few extra older headers and bodies - promotion, in spite of all the nonsense, was an opportunity to be seized. The problem is when you only spend 1.5%
    of your time on the club you own, you are too busy to bother with even the fundamentals of the business.

Can there have ever be a greater days insanity in the playing history of the club than the "brain fart day" of August 31, 2017? To leave yourself with one recognised striker on the last day of the window with literally no other options was the definition of stupidity.

Seldom can so much money been frittered away over so many seasons in the search for mediocrity.

That Bowyer and Jackson have lifted spirits again flatters to deceive. I applaud their and the players efforts and hope they can continue to rise to the challenge for a few more games.

If we get to Wembley will there have ever been a more barren club executive representation in the history of the game?

For now we live onto Saturday - "May the odds be ever in our favour".

Excellent post - wonder if Roland would have the balls to come to Wembley IF we got there? Imagine 35,000 fans chanting "We want Roland out!!" Would go down well on the TV!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    addick05 said:

I am sorry it really is not baffling. We are not schizophrenic. We are very inconsistent for a reason. In large part we put out a team of children. Take a look at the Millwall squad. They have their youngsters but they have to earn their place competing with senior professionals not walk into the side because there is no one else.

Djiksteel, Page, Fosu, Mavididi, Konsa, Kaikai, Dasilva, Ahearne Grant before this campaign have a barely a full season of starting appearances - BETWEEN THEM.

In recent games we have played Ajose and Zyros Sat - Tues - Sat Tues etc having barely played all season - they have not got the legs. Magennis has been run into the ground all season. He reminds me of a character from "They shoot horses, don't they".

In a physical league to match physicality you have to run your b*****ks off. We have not had the physicality and depth of squad to deliver that game in game out. I doubt we have even now. If we manage to get over the play off line it is going to require a monumental physical effort to rise to the challenge of the play offs.

You cannot simply manufacture match sharpness and consistency in a matter of a few weeks.

I have no idea which team will turn up at Portsmouth or whether we will have the legs to even last a play off campaign - if we get over line.

It is what drives me to distraction - for the cost of a few extra older headers and bodies - promotion, in spite of all the nonsense, was an opportunity to be seized. The problem is when you only spend 1.5%
    of your time on the club you own, you are too busy to bother with even the fundamentals of the business.

Can there have ever be a greater days insanity in the playing history of the club than the "brain fart day" of August 31, 2017? To leave yourself with one recognised striker on the last day of the window with literally no other options was the definition of stupidity.

Seldom can so much money been frittered away over so many seasons in the search for mediocrity.

That Bowyer and Jackson have lifted spirits again flatters to deceive. I applaud their and the players efforts and hope they can continue to rise to the challenge for a few more games.

If we get to Wembley will there have ever been a more barren club executive representation in the history of the game?

Excellent post - wonder if Roland would have the balls to come to Wembley IF we got there? Imagine 35,000 fans chanting "We want Roland out!!" Would go down well on the TV!

Still going to be tough to get there - but if he still owned us by then, there is no way he would go to Wembley. Thank god!
  • Options
    addick05 said:

That would be brilliant! Imagine the publicity.
    I've still got some plastic pigs left....
  • Options

It’s baffling.

Like the others Shrewsbury needed a result against us so had to attack us to get that goal... For once we sat back and invited them to break us down for a change.

Also Shrewsbury sat off us when we had the ball, giving us the time and space to pass it about effectively. Whereas Wimbledon and Scunthorpe didnt give us that luxury and closed the space down at every opportunity
    It's funny how opinions differ on a game.
    It appeared to us that Shrewsbury has 3 men closing down the ball carrier whenever we were outside our own third. Impressed with their tactics, which were very effective in the first half, but faded as the game went on,
    Think I have to go along with you on this one. They had three men on every player in possession and their pace about the pitch to close down is as good as you could get. We only closed down in ones and twos but I think this meant we picked up more second balls in space.

I can see this amounts to conceding us space but not through sitting back I would argue and only for players not on the ball.

• Options
    addick05 said:

Roland is more likely to be watching Ed Sheeran at Wembley than us!
  • Options
    I think it is personnel related

Defence conceding goals, answer Page back

Not creating, Fosu back

These have been the main differences I feel in the odd nature of Bowyers tenure so far
  • Options
    Wow the most Charlton result ever, shame we could not have picked up 4 points from last 2 results as we would be pretty much there. Need to win Saturday now that is a must and probably remaining 2 games too.

Mad how we went from having 1/2 games over teams around us and now other teams have the game in hand, its good to have the points but feel we need at least 7 points from last 3 probably 9. COYR get to playoffs and we will do it!
  • Options
    Great result but the best thing about watching the highlights by far was watching Konsa take Pearce out whilst he's celebrating his goal ;)
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Bit unfair Josh. Jay DaSilva has been absolutely magnificent this season.

His only weakness is he's not great at defending.
    Seen DaSilva put in some phenomenal defending at left back and for someone who lacks height certainly makes up for it in other aspects. I would say his positioning sometimes leaves a bit to be desired as he is always looking to get down the wing and apart from that he has been one of our best players.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

Bit unfair Josh. Jay DaSilva has been absolutely magnificent this season.

His only weakness is he's not great at defending.
    Seen DaSilva put in some phenomenal defending at left back and for someone who lacks height certainly makes up for it in other aspects. I would say his positioning sometimes leaves a bit to be desired as he always looking to get down the wing and apart from that he has been one of our best players.
    Too often out of position for me - don't think he really suits our style of football. He undoubtedly has talent but he's possibly suited to playing for a more technically gifted side or perhaps to developing a midfield role.

He does seen to have been targeted in a number of games but this is possibly due to the lack of cover he's given.
  • Options
    Forgot the game was on, saw the score in the paper this morning. My flabber has seldom been so gasted.