Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Portsmouth v Charlton 21/4/2018 post-match views

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    I was very surprised how poor Pompey were in the 1st half. It was not as if we were on fire like we were v Plymouth or Northampton. Yes we had more of the ball & had some good openings (which we should have done a lot better with) but we weren't going all guns blazing. Pearce & Bauer kept Pitman & ???? quiet, but from what I could see Pompey are just a long ball team & never really ran at us with the ball, especially not down the wings. Resembled us v Scunny last week.
  • Options
    Honest appraisal but the thing is you can only play as well as the oppo allow you to :wink: COYRs.
  • Options
    sholland said:

It's amusing reading the Pompey fan saying how predictable it was that they'd lose, and that Pompey had a habit of "mucking it up when it really matters". "Suffering makes you stronger" as a Pompey fan, "lack of investment", "appalling luck with injuries" etc

And that was exactly what we were saying about Charlton before the match :smile:
  • Options
    Last page, best league away day in all my Charlton days !
  • Options

Concerning Nicky Arose.

On the players' marks thread, he's been getting a lot of 7.5-ish scores which I think underrates what he did on Saturday. He was working all the time to try to find space, pulling their defenders hither and yon, looking to see where Mag was likely to put a flick on so he'd be there to collect it, which is exactly what lead to the goal.

An excellent performance from Nicky, perhaps at last he feels a manager and formation will appreciate it style of play and it’s eeked out that extra bit of quality that made him what he was at Swindon.

I also think Kashi is slightly underrated on the player marks. The amount of times the ball was bouncing in and around the middle of the park and he stuck his head or body in and won back possession, then would lay passes out wide to get us going again was countless. He and JFC really get us higher up the pitch and they both playing well will be crucial if we get to the playoffs.
    Yeah, been quite critical of Kashi under Gobshite, but his performance on saturday was pure quality. A real terrier in midfield , gave them no room to move and distribution to match.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Blimey, Portsmouth beat us hands down on local paper coverage.
  • Options

I was very surprised how poor Pompey were in the 1st half. It was not as if we were on fire like we were v Plymouth or Northampton. Yes we had more of the ball & had some good openings (which we should have done a lot better with) but we weren't going all guns blazing. Pearce & Bauer kept Pitman & ???? quiet, but from what I could see Pompey are just a long ball team & never really ran at us with the ball, especially not down the wings. Resembled us v Scunny last week.

I think we carried on from the Shrewsbury second half in the first half and it was more to do with us than them playing badly. Our main issue was what it has always been this season and that is a lot of wrong decisions in the final third, but something was coming - you could feel it before the goal.

In the second half we had something to protect and Pompey took some risks and went for it but we defended well and Amos was up to the task when called on.
  • Options

The benefit of being a one club City/town.
  • Options

The benefit of being a one club City/town.
    The benefit of not being in London, really. Most provincial clubs get better coverage than any London club from their local media, including the biggest London clubs, but obviously better than the rest.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

I think it was case of the perfect storm hitting...they had a set back in midweek, we had a timely boost with our win. They will have been expecting, as were we, for their fans to ramp up the noise and put pressure on our players from the off but instead the noise and intensity that emanated from the away end must have dented the home team’s confidence and the home fans even further and boosted the charlton players no end. Add in a returning Pearce (always a concern when a player ‘returns’) and who had even just scored a gol in midweek and it’s probably no wonder the Portsmouth players were looking over their shoulders instead of taking the game to charlton.

The trick for this Saturday is not to be caught out by Blackburn doing the same to us.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I think the thing with Blackburn is that we have to respect the fact that they have the quality to get back in it even if we are two up so we have to be on it for 90 minutes.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

A major result and probably the greatest collective vocal performance by a set of charlton fans ever and people want to change the thread to being all about Roland and a takeover. It beggars belief.

Better than the first game back at The Valley? I don’t think so.
    Better than the home leg of the Ipswich play-off game?
    Better than the Swindon play-off game? @:wink:
  • Options

I think the thing with Blackburn is that we have to respect the fact that they have the quality to get back in it even if we are two up so we have to be on it for 90 minutes.

If Konsa or Kashi (if fit) does a man for man on Dack that will go some distance to neutralising them.

The big danger remaining will be Mulgrew (?spelling) at set pieces.
  • Options
    hopefully
    Leuth said:

Was to tired to post yesterday, what a day.

A day i will literally never forget, and that goes for the half dozen guys in our travelling group as well.

Dont go to many away games and have never experienced this atmosphere before. Singing from first minuet to last !!

Ah, so we went highbrow. Would explain why everyone's in raptures
    Eh ?
  • Options

hopefully

Leuth said:

Was to tired to post yesterday, what a day.

A day i will literally never forget, and that goes for the half dozen guys in our travelling group as well.

Dont go to many away games and have never experienced this atmosphere before. Singing from first minuet to last !!

Ah, so we went highbrow. Would explain why everyone's in raptures
    Eh ?
    @Addictedoldgit Your reference to minuet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ah yes. A thousand apologies to you ( over sensitive ? ) spelling police.

Second time i have fallen fowl of you lot !
  • Options

Ah yes. A thousand apologies to you ( over sensitive ? ) spelling police.

Second time i have fallen fowl of you lot !

I think spelling police is a bit hard on Leuth there, he's just making a whimsical aside and it's really not even at your expense. More laughing with you than at you.

Note to self: why am I defending Leuth?
  • Options

Spurs vs Juve the other week, thanks to a mate who couldn't use his ticket. Wasn't ever going to turn that down. Fantastic atmosphere pre-match, obviously it didn't last...

I've been to that and a game at Fulham this season and it is a nice change to attend a game without nail-biting or the usual frustrations of points chucked away.

@redlanered - how did the atmosphere at Spurs v Juve compare to Fratton Park last Saturday?
  • Options
    We should also mention the burst ball in the first half...if you know, your history, its enough to make your heart go....
  • Options

Spurs vs Juve the other week, thanks to a mate who couldn't use his ticket. Wasn't ever going to turn that down. Fantastic atmosphere pre-match, obviously it didn't last...

I've been to that and a game at Fulham this season and it is a nice change to attend a game without nail-biting or the usual frustrations of points chucked away.

@redlanered - how did the atmosphere at Spurs v Juve compare to Fratton Park last Saturday?
    Both were fantastic, but different. Fratton was big for us but there wasn't the same buzz among Pompey fans that I could detect. And the sheer size of the Wembley crowd added to the atmosphere.
  • Options

Both were fantastic, but different. Fratton was big for us but there wasn't the same buzz among Pompey fans that I could detect. And the sheer size of the Wembley crowd added to the atmosphere.
    Are we really comparing the noise 80,000 at Wembley make to that made by 2,400 charlton fans at Portsmouth last week ? I don’t recall the spurs fans singing non-stop throughout the whole game and after it...in fact, most of their fans fuck off home 10 mins before the game has ended