Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bowyer Talks - Weekly press conference updates

Comments

• Options
    https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-will-not-fill-subs-bench-for-cardiff-city-match-with-up-to-ten-senior-players-missing/

Annoyingly no tweets from todays presser. Possibly 10 out.

Bow saying he wont be able to fill the bench.

Was hoping Hemed and Aneke would be fit for the bench bit it seems not.

Kayal is a weird one as played for isreal in the week and was an unused sub in their second game but isnt one of the 3 midfielders Bow says is available. Also isnt on the injured list so a weird one.
  • Options

Lee Bowyer is in the middle of the biggest injury crisis of his Charlton managerial career – and will not even be able to fill the subs bench for Saturday’s home game against Cardiff City.

The Addicks are without a host of first-teamers due to injury – Tomer Hemed, Sam Field, Jonny Williams, Lewis Page, George Lapslie, Ben Amos, Jake Forster-Caskey and Chuks Aneke.

There is no guarantee that Lyle Taylor, out since August with knee ligament damage, will be fit to play any part against the Bluebirds.

Darren Pratley is suspended after collecting five bookings.

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-will-not-fill-subs-bench-for-cardiff-city-match-with-up-to-ten-senior-players-missing/
  • Options
    We must have 7 defenders available, Purrington, the 4 centre backs, Matthews and Solly. I imagine at least one of them will play in or cover midfield
  • Options
    From the above I think we will see something along the lines of

Phillips
    Matthews Lockyer Pearce Sarr Purrington
    Cullen
    Gallagher Ozzy
    Bonne Leko

AMB Solly Oshilaja Morgan Kayal? Taylor? Davison

As much as I want a change after the Millwall game I think we have to go 5 at the back as this is the area we actually have strength. Morgan on the bench just so that we have a midfield option. Hopefully Kayal and Taylor to appear on the bench. Midfield looks horribly light and think we will have to rely on hitting them on the break. 

The alternative would be to play a back 4 with Oshiaja in midfield and have him dropping into the back line. Never seem him do that role so not confident he will manage it.
  • Options
    Alternatively from that article we may see something completely different from Bow this week which could surprise them and give us a chance. 

Perhaps a 433 with Ozzy further up the pitch or Taylor/Davison a surprise inclusion
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/CAFCofficial/status/1197467242633551873

Suggests Kayal isnt injured. Lets hope he is available.
  • Options
    “We have no-one to be on the bench – we don’t have a midfielder on the bench if we play those three I mentioned. We’ve recalled Albie to be in and around it, just as back up really."

It's a little strange that Bowyer has gone from playing Albie in a play off semi to barely considering him an option for the bench. 
  • Options
    "There are not many to choose from in midfield – three. The ones available are Conor Gallagher, Josh Cullen and Erhun Oztumer."

This is the quote that is causing confusion about Kayal.

Hoping Bow is simply playing mind games and he will play as will Taylor but lets see.
  • Options
    Surely the international break would have been a chance to get people fit with a bit of luck - managers always say it’s a chance to recharge the batteries.

We have come out worse!
  • Options
    Is it just bad luck we seem to have more injuries than average over the last few years or so? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What actually is wrong with Amos? He's been out for a month now, and I don't recall seeing an explanation?

The issues for Hemed and Aneke are a bit "Lewis Pageish" too. Minor issues yet another 2 weeks down the line, they're still out
  • Options
    Is it just bad luck we seem to have more injuries than average over the last few years or so? 
    @Sage has already suggested that the financial resources for medical and fitness have not been increased since last year, so we are currently trying to run a Championship squad with League One money. Which is bound to have some effect. 

I would also suspect (but don't have the evidence) that Duchatelet has never understood the importance of this area and has probably been cutting the budget since he took over. I always half-expected he would open a Network Fitness Centre in Liege which they'd all have to use :-)

But on the other hand, we don't really know what the injury situation is at other clubs, unless something about our opponents' situation is so bad that it hits the news. We just look at our own situation and think it's a disaster. I recall thinking that first half of last season we were getting off lightly on the injury front.
  • Options
    What actually is wrong with Amos? He's been out for a month now, and I don't recall seeing an explanation?

The issues for Hemed and Aneke are a bit "Lewis Pageish" too. Minor issues yet another 2 weeks down the line, they're still out
    Amos has a hand/finger injury sustained in training. Might seem silly but as a goal keeper, he has to get that injury right before starting again.
  • Options
    Kayal only got back this morning so I would assume that Bow hasn’t mentioned him due to not seeing and assessing him yet. Fully expect him to in the squad on Saturday.
  • Options
    Believe we had hoped that Hemed, Aneke, Lapslie, and Forster-Caskey would be closer than they are. I think it might be just about getting through this weekend and hoping we are in a better position next weekend against Sheffield Wednesday.

Hemed has been in the gym for a while, Aneke seems to break down very easily, Lapslie has had a couple of set backs on his hamstring as soon as he has got back fit, and Forster-Caskey we have to be more careful with.

As far as I know, Field is at West Brom getting most of his treatment. Williams is not until nearer the new year, about another 4-6 weeks yet. Page is a mystery to me right now. 
  • Options
    Sage said:

Amos has a hand/finger injury sustained in training. Might seem silly but as a goal keeper, he has to get that injury right before starting again.
    Thanks, for a keeper that's clearly important. Maybe Amos can play in midfield instead!
  • Options
    I also don’t believe the injury situation is as horrific as Bow is making out. I do think there is a slight bit of mind games being played. But the situation we have is still really bad, nonetheless.
  • Options
    Sage said:

Thanks, for a keeper that's clearly important. Maybe Amos can play in midfield instead!
    Yes! His height and physicality may be needed against Cardiff on Saturday. Play him in the Pratley role.
  • Options
    Though I rate Amos as a goal scoring midfielder I'd stick Oshilaja in the Pratley role.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Though I rate Amos as a goal scoring midfielder I'd stick Oshilaja in the Pratley role.
    I'd leave Oshilaja on the bench

Would be just our luck to lose two Centre-Backs as they both challenge for the same ball or something

Then who do you put into the Defence
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I'd leave Oshilaja on the bench

Would be just our luck to lose two Centre-Backs as they both challenge for the same ball or something

Then who do you put into the Defence
    Leko just for giggles. 
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/CAFCofficial/status/1197467242633551873

Suggests Kayal isnt injured. Lets hope he is available.
    If he is, needs to do a bit more to show his worth.  Started off brightly against Preston before disappearing, was woeful against Millwall apart from a decent tackle when he came on.  Needs to show he can handle it physically imo 
  • Options
    I guess Kayal just needs a run of games. 

Most players do to hit form.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Kayal only got back this morning so I would assume that Bow hasn’t mentioned him due to not seeing and assessing him yet. Fully expect him to in the squad on Saturday.
    That and the fact that he's a preening lightweight as much suited to a battle with Cardiff as I am to going up against Callum Smith for his title.
  • Options

Phillips
    Cullen
    Gallagher Ozzy
    Bonne Leko

As much as I want a change after the Millwall game I think we have to go 5 at the back as this is the area we actually have strength. Morgan on the bench just so that we have a midfield option. Hopefully Kayal and Taylor to appear on the bench. Midfield looks horribly light and think we will have to rely on hitting them on the break. 

The alternative would be to play a back 4 with Oshiaja in midfield and have him dropping into the back line. Never seem him do that role so not confident he will manage it.
    Called it!
  • Options

Phillips
    Cullen
    Gallagher Ozzy
    Bonne Leko

Called it!
    It's bloody easy when we only have 11 fit players to choose from *winky face*.
  • Options

Phillips
    Cullen
    Gallagher Ozzy
    Bonne Leko

Called it!
    Bit out of order calling Canters "winky face"  ;)
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Phillips
    Cullen
    Gallagher Ozzy
    Bonne Leko

Called it!
    Bit out of order calling Canters "winky face"  ;)
    It's a tad better than a wonky winky.....
  • Options
    Wow... Even Williams? - Didnt expect him back that soon