Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lyle Taylor - signed for Cambridge (p268)

Comments

• edited June 2023
    JamesSeed said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    I think he'll play on.

Whilst 3 years on 15-20k seems a hell of a lot (which it is), it's not going to mean he can live the high life for the rest of his days. At best for those three years is £1.1-£1.4m in your pocket, and he'll have spent a proportion already.

He'll get a 12 month gig at Championship or more likely league one on £150k+ a year, he'll take that and kick the can down the road.
    But prior to that he was probably on around £250k per year for a few years so unless he was being stupid with that theres no reason to think he didnt already have a substantial amount salted away before he went to Forest.

Invested sensibly he shouldn't have to "work" again unless he wants to.

It's such a comfort to know that the narcissistic entitled prick won't be destitute.
    Probably not even that much really. I doubt he was earning 5k a week at the likes of Falkirk, Scunthorpe and AFC Wimbledon.

I've no doubt he's not exactly struggling but at the age of 33, would his career earnings really be enough to never have to work again?
    Say he has a couple of million in the bank.

Buy a couple of houses and rent them out for 3k a month each.  

Have 500k for spending money.

Tax. Upkeep of the houses. And the agency fees, as he won’t want the hassle of fixing things himself. 
    But he wouldn't have to work for the rest of his life.
  • "doesn't like football"

But he sure spends a lot of time watching it and posting about it on social media, interviewing on talkshite about it and arguing with TV pundits on twitter over it. 

🤷🏻‍♂️

I don't think he's doesn't like football, I think he just said that he doesn't really watch football in his free time. There are a fair few footballers who think that way, either because they just treat it as a job or because they need separation from it for their own mental health. Taylor's primary source of amusement is being an arsehole to people online and football is a good way for him to do that. It wouldn't shock me if he became a pundit of some kind because he'd treat that as a job and he'd get engagement for them through being controversial

But he sure spends a lot of time watching it and posting about it on social media, interviewing on talkshite about it and arguing with TV pundits on twitter over it. 

🤷🏻‍♂️

I don't think he's doesn't like football, I think he just said that he doesn't really watch football in his free time. There are a fair few footballers who think that way, either because they just treat it as a job or because they need separation from it for their own mental health. Taylor's primary source of amusement is being an arsehole to people online and football is a good way for him to do that. It wouldn't shock me if he became a pundit of some kind because he'd treat that as a job and he'd get engagement for them through being controversial

Good point. The ultimate football troll sounds about right for him. 
  • The ‘obsession’ with this former player is real 

🤷🏻‍♂️

He told me at a golf day that he doesn’t like the game at all.  His only enjoyment is scoring goals in different ways.  He’s an attention whore basically
    Obsessions usually are real, otherwise they are not obsessions? 

Never understood, why people open up and comment in a topic... to maon about people talking about said topic. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that over the last 25 years, Taylor, Mendonca, Yann and Parker were major x factor players when we had successful seasons and Parker especially at the top end of the premier which now seems like another world!

It always end in tears 😢at Cafc: Clive through injury, Yann as he couldn't get the extra year on his contract, Scott because of odious Chelsea's offer and finally Lyle through fear of getting injured in the 9 match mini season and stopping him getting his first big contract. 
  • Swisdom said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    I think he'll play on.

Whilst 3 years on 15-20k seems a hell of a lot (which it is), it's not going to mean he can live the high life for the rest of his days. At best for those three years is £1.1-£1.4m in your pocket, and he'll have spent a proportion already.

He'll get a 12 month gig at Championship or more likely league one on £150k+ a year, he'll take that and kick the can down the road.
    But prior to that he was probably on around £250k per year for a few years so unless he was being stupid with that theres no reason to think he didnt already have a substantial amount salted away before he went to Forest.

It's such a comfort to know that the narcissistic entitled prick won't be destitute.
    Probably not even that much really. I doubt he was earning 5k a week at the likes of Falkirk, Scunthorpe and AFC Wimbledon.

I've no doubt he's not exactly struggling but at the age of 33, would his career earnings really be enough to never have to work again?

Tax. Upkeep of the houses. And the agency fees, as he won’t want the hassle of fixing things himself. 
    If he had £3m in the bank he could get a high interest account quite easily.
    6.5% interest with a 1% charge 

stick £2m in there, take a £10k a month “salary” and never touch your investment and it will grow slightly.  There will be times you spend more than £10k a month but before long you’d run out of unnecessary shit to buy

And still have £1m to piss about with

you can see why he took the move as he’s set for life. He could go and live un Montserrat and live like a deity.  

can’t see him being a pundit as he dislikes the game 

Lyle Taylor is full of contradictions.
    I have heard him say he doesn't like football or watch it often but he would be a forthright pundit !

Arrogant and selfish to Charlton fans but a guy who when at Wimbledon, sorted out a senior pro who took umbrage to an academy player who had skilled him up.
    The academy player's mum told me the story and loved the man.

Hero to Zero at Charlton but he has raised thousands for charity and when he sponsored a Charlton Woman's match at Oakwood a few years back we had a long chat about his parents roots and the life of a pro footballer. Interesting character but I felt he had insecurities below the surface. Like most footballers they seek the contract to upgrade their lives.

Lyle Taylor should've ended up in our hall of fame not our hall of shame.
    Spot on…after the way he let us down so badly it’s easy to forget how great he was to the lady and her family who was in the hospice with cancer. 

There was good in him but he massively made a bad decision which let our club and fans down and unfortunately that undone all the good he had done in both terms of scoring goals and going out of his way to support fans in need etc. 

We need to move on, he’s not coming back here and we have bigger problems than Lyle Taylor! 
     "undone all the good he had done in both terms of scoring goals ". 

His goals were not cancelled/disallowed and there was no points deduction in the games he played therefore this statement is not true. Therefore he he made positive contribution in that season.
    You are disappointed about his behaviour, so was I. But get over it. Its his career move of his life, many people would make the same decision in other walks of life for increasing their salary 400~~%.
  • Taylor is a big International. Am sure most PL clubs will be queuing up to sign him.
  • Swisdom said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    I think he'll play on.

stick £2m in there, take a £10k a month “salary” and never touch your investment and it will grow slightly.  There will be times you spend more than £10k a month but before long you’d run out of unnecessary shit to buy

you can see why he took the move as he’s set for life. He could go and live un Montserrat and live like a deity.  

I have heard him say he doesn't like football or watch it often but he would be a forthright pundit !

Arrogant and selfish to Charlton fans but a guy who when at Wimbledon, sorted out a senior pro who took umbrage to an academy player who had skilled him up.

Hero to Zero at Charlton but he has raised thousands for charity and when he sponsored a Charlton Woman's match at Oakwood a few years back we had a long chat about his parents roots and the life of a pro footballer. Interesting character but I felt he had insecurities below the surface. Like most footballers they seek the contract to upgrade their lives.

Spot on…after the way he let us down so badly it’s easy to forget how great he was to the lady and her family who was in the hospice with cancer. 

There was good in him but he massively made a bad decision which let our club and fans down and unfortunately that undone all the good he had done in both terms of scoring goals and going out of his way to support fans in need etc. 

We need to move on, he’s not coming back here and we have bigger problems than Lyle Taylor! 

His goals were not cancelled/disallowed and there was no points deduction in the games he played therefore this statement is not true. Therefore he he made positive contribution in that season.
    You are disappointed about his behaviour, so was I. But get over it. Its his career move of his life, many people would make the same decision in other walks of life for increasing their salary 400~~%.
    I don't think many would make the same choice - in fact, hundreds of footballers who were also out of contract didn't.

Just play the the last few games, or at the very least those you're contracted for, and then get the same contract anyway.
  • shine166 said:
    The ‘obsession’ with this former player is real 

Never understood, why people open up and comment in a topic... to maon about people talking about said topic. 
    I don’t know where to start with your grammar and spelling here ? Btw it was an observation not a ‘maon’ ‘in a topic’ as you put it !!!
  • I didn't like his decision to leave us in the lurch in 2020 at the time and I still don't especially whilst a) we continue to languish in L1 and b) when I now look at Luton who scraped out of the bottom 3 that last night of season 19/20 at our expense.

But actually when I now look at Taylor's decision purely from a personal financial perspective it's hard to argue that he didn't get it spot on. Cold, yes but also very shrewd. So at least it wasn't all for nothing.
  • Swisdom said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    I think he'll play on.

I wasn't making a statement was I? I was saying all his goals and going out of his way for the family I mentioned was undone in terms of "doing good for the team/club". I am over it and if anything I was highlighting the positives of Lyle Taylor which are clearly now forgotten because of him going on strike during Covid. Add to that I signed off with "We need to move on, he’s not coming back here and we have bigger problems than Lyle Taylor" So why you are asking me to get over it makes no sense? I think we are on the same page here?
  • Swisdom said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    I think he'll play on.

I don't think many would make the same choice - in fact, hundreds of footballers who were also out of contract didn't.

Just play the the last few games, or at the very least those you're contracted for, and then get the same contract anyway.
    It's been gone over a thousand times but I agree with you.  Every season since the Bosman player have let contracts run down but played to the end of the season and risked breaking legs and suchlike.  Just look at Lockyer in a hospital bed having played to the last game of play offs and celebrating like crazy for a club he had let his contract run down on but never ever thought about skipping off his duties.  COVID gave the cretin Taylor an excuse not to bother.
    Not fulfilling his contract was a disgrace, not playing the handful of games beyond a little more grey but the same in my book as thousands of players carried in regardless.
    I hope his next move is a failure too and he disappears quietly into anonymity 

He also had the "excuse" that we didn't actually know who owned the club.  If even Roland or Thomas had owned us I would be more accepting that the club would "do the right thing" if he got injured.

I wouldn't trust my livelihood on Southall, Farnell, Elliott, the dentist or any of that cast of characters, "doing the right thing", wouldn't you? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Put aside all we feel about him as Charlton fans, imagine you support a club or play for a club that is either a) looking to fit the last piece in their jigsaw to go up or b) thinking its going to be a hard season and staying up and consolidation is the goal and Lyke Taylor or his agent give you a bell, I'd immediately be questioning his character as someone who will pussy out when the going gets tough, how can you trust or rely on someone like that? And let's be honest if a club has real money to spend they won't be spending it on someone on the wages he will now expect who hasn't kicked a ball competitively for months. 

The only place I could see him going is QPR and he will get bombed out of there once they sack Ainsworth, who would be the only manager I'd say has the form for the rejuvenation necessary to get an Indian summer out of a known shirker and money grabber. And before anyone starts about "hey Carter, are you telling us if someone offered you 3 times your salary to leave after your notice period, you saying you wouldn't jack" the answer is two fold, one i dont get people emotionally invested in me then feed off of and play on that emptional investment and two, yes, I would work my notice, I'd turn up on time, do my job and not let people down. Partly out of professional pride but also maybe selfishly I dont want a reputation of someone who jacks as soon as a better offer is laid in front of me 
  • Wonder if he’d got his agent to contact Ryan Reynolds and Co?
    Can see his ago loving a slice of the Wrexham story. Would give him more of a platform to spout his twaddle and his body could probably compete at 4th division level where he’d stand out as a top player. 
  • Saw something saying Sheffield Wednesday are interested in him 
  • Valley11 said:
    Wonder if he’d got his agent to contact Ryan Reynolds and Co?
    Can see his ago loving a slice of the Wrexham story. Would give him more of a platform to spout his twaddle and his body could probably compete at 4th division level where he’d stand out as a top player. 
    No chance. The Wrexham owners wouldn't touch him with a very long barge pole. Although they may have to learn what a barge pole was first. 
  • What's hilarious is that people keep questioning his character when the manager he apparently let down couldn't wait to re-sign him at Birmingham  :D
  • edited June 2023
    Valley11 said:
    Wonder if he’d got his agent to contact Ryan Reynolds and Co?
    No chance. The Wrexham owners wouldn't touch him with a very long barge pole. Although they may have to learn what a barge pole was first. 
    I'm not so sure.

He'd get goals at that level, can speak well, and the pink hair to raise money for cancer charities etc is all an interesting and positive angle for TV show.

Not saying it'll happen (he'll get a Championship move), but I don't think they'd be against it.
  • mendonca said:
    Taylor is a big International. Am sure most PL clubs will be queuing up to sign him.
    You spelled "arsehole" wrong.
  • What's hilarious is that people keep questioning his character when the manager he apparently let down couldn't wait to re-sign him at Birmingham  :D
    Who cares about the manager. The point is Taylor’s a shithouse. A very good striker with the moral fibre of a rat.
    Anyway, been done a million times. 
  • Valley11 said:
    What's hilarious is that people keep questioning his character when the manager he apparently let down couldn't wait to re-sign him at Birmingham  :D
    Who cares about the manager. The point is Taylor’s a shithouse. A very good striker with the moral fibre of a rat.
    Anyway, been done a million times. 
    This. Another stupid point that gets trotted out every now and then when this comes up. ‘Football manager in no morals shock’. Bowyer needed someone who could score goals. He didn’t care how he left us because he doesn’t think like a fan.