Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lyle Taylor - signed for Cambridge (p268)

Comments

• DOUCHER said:
    not listened to it - nothing he can say will reverse the fact he's a selfish twat and should never be welcomed back at the valley - the fact bowyer signed him at birmingham after that didn't impress me either 
    And Curbs signed Parker again.
  • 70 odd games in the last 3 years since leaving us with a 12-goal return. He's no longer prolific and whilst I can forgive people I can't forget and feel that if the club brought him back in it would send the wrong message to our current group.
    Wouldn't pass the no dickheads policy
  • edited August 2023
    I really do not know why people get so uptight with players, for them it is purely a job and getting what can from a very short career.

Taylor hit the jackpot with Forest after a journeyman career.  A life changing move.
    I've been agreeing with you about this for as long as this conversation has been going, however, while I get that he had no loyalty to Charlton and needed to make sure he didn't damage his move to Forest with a potential injury, he also stopped playing when he was under contract. He was paid for a lot of that season by Charlton while injured, so his refusal to turn out while he was under contract for me should have seen some sort of repercussions. 
    Having said that, I also understand why Bowyer wanted him. He had shown he knew where the net was, and Bowyer as amanager needed to win games so he pragmatically bought in Taylor knowing the good and bad sides of the player he signed.
  • edited August 2023
    I really do not know why people get so uptight with players, for them it is purely a job and getting what can from a very short career.

Taylor hit the jackpot with Forest after a journeyman career.  A life changing move.
    I wouldn't disagree, for some footballers, it is 100% just a job.

Like for some owners, clubs are 100% just commercial businesses, and we're just their customers. 
  • edited August 2023

If Taylor had seen out his contact and gone on a free to Forest with a huge hike in wages then no problem. However he didn’t fulfil his contract obligations. He chose to down tools and refuse to play the last 9 games. That’s the reason why the majority of supporters are “uptight” with this. 

And yes I get the bollocks about he might get injured in the last 9 games costing him a life changing contract bah bah bah but if that was the case you would cross the bloody road or do anything in life. 
    I do not disagree with your opening paragraph.

As far as I am concerned if he did it to another club, let's say palice, we'd be laughing our tits off.

He was a naughty boy and broke his contract but I will never change my stance.  A life changing move so b******* to the employers.
  • I really do not know why people get so uptight with players, for them it is purely a job and getting what can from a very short career.

I've been agreeing with you about this for as long as this conversation has been going, however, while I get that he had no loyalty to Charlton and needed to make sure he didn't damage his move to Forest with a potential injury, he also stopped playing when he was under contract. He was paid for a lot of that season by Charlton while injured, so his refusal to turn out while he was under contract for me should have seen some sort of repercussions. 
    Having said that, I also understand why Bowyer wanted him. He had shown he knew where the net was, and Bowyer as amanager needed to win games so he pragmatically bought in Taylor knowing the good and bad sides of the player he signed.
    Reading between the lines, it seems that Bowyer did not disagree too much with Taylor.
  • I really do not know why people get so uptight with players, for them it is purely a job and getting what can from a very short career.

If Taylor had seen out his contact and gone on a free to Forest with a huge hike in wages then no problem. However he didn’t fulfil his contract obligations. He chose to down tools and refuse to play the last 9 games. That’s the reason why the majority of supporters are “uptight” with this. 

And yes I get the bollocks about he might get injured in the last 9 games costing him a life changing contract bah bah bah but if that was the case you would cross the bloody road or do anything in life. 

As far as I am concerned if he did it to another club, let's say palice, we'd be laughing our tits off.

He was a naughty boy and broke his contract but I will never change my stance.  A life changing move so b******* to the employers.
    I could not give 2 shits if he did it to palace or any other club. He chose to refuse to fulfil his contract obligations to OUR club knowing he could have played a huge part in keeping us up.

Pointless going over the same old thing as you see it that way and the majority of others don’t. Fair enough it’s all about opinions. 
  • Sponsored links:

I could not give 2 shits if he did it to palace or any other club. He chose to refuse to fulfil his contract obligations to OUR club knowing he could have played a huge part in keeping us up.

Pointless going over the same old thing as you see it that way and the majority of others don’t. Fair enough it’s all about opinions. 
    Agreed.

Take care.

i'd like to have a stab at answering this if I may - and I don't want to talk for others. 

For them it is purely a job, and that's fair enough, but for fans it is a whole life choice to follow their team. I agree that they don't need to show any love for us, but they (and this goes for all footballers) do need to understand that without us (as in fans in general) this sport would barely exist. What he did was the definition of unprofessional and a slap in the face for any football fan let alone us as Charlton fans.

i'm up tight about him because he didn't fulfill his obligations. He can look at it as just a job and half arse it for the games he is contracted for if he likes, but downing tools completely is beyond the pale and I don't care what explanations or excuses he has or had. I feel the same about Parker - he could have got his move without downing tools the way he did as well. I don't hold the same dislike for Defoe for example - as I don't think he ever refused to play or owt like that - even though it was frustrating the way he left.

There ain't many players I dislike but Taylor and Parker are top of the list and probably always will be. 

Look at someone like Darren Bent, arguably twice the player of both - he stayed with us to the bitter end, did his best to keep us up, and left with our thanks. i'm sure he had options in January of that relegation season. Those two are not half the professional DB was and guess what, he still got his big money move at the end of it and I don't know a single Charlton fan that begrudged him it.

It's a damn shame because Parker and Taylor in particular could have been given the kind of heros welcome Benty, Johnnie Jackson or Chrissy Powell will always get when they visit the valley which would have been richly deserved had they not chosen the path they did.

As it is they chose what they chose and as far as i'm concerned I don't want to see their faces at the Valley ever again.

Agreed.

Take care.
    You too mate 

i'd like to have a stab at answering this if I may - and I don't want to talk for others. 

For them it is purely a job, and that's fair enough, but for fans it is a whole life choice to follow their team. I agree that they don't need to show any love for us, but they (and this goes for all footballers) do need to understand that without us (as in fans in general) this sport would barely exist. What he did was the definition of unprofessional and a slap in the face for any football fan let alone us as Charlton fans.

i'm up tight about him because he didn't fulfill his obligations. He can look at it as just a job and half arse it for the games he is contracted for if he likes, but downing tools completely is beyond the pale and I don't care what explanations or excuses he has or had. I feel the same about Parker - he could have got his move without downing tools the way he did as well. I don't hold the same dislike for Defoe for example - as I don't think he ever refused to play or owt like that - even though it was frustrating the way he left.

There ain't many players I dislike but Taylor and Parker are top of the list and probably always will be. 

Look at someone like Darren Bent, arguably twice the player of both - he stayed with us to the bitter end, did his best to keep us up, and left with our thanks. i'm sure he had options in January of that relegation season. Those two are not half the professional DB was and guess what, he still got his big money move at the end of it and I don't know a single Charlton fan that begrudged him it.

It's a damn shame because Parker and Taylor in particular could have been given the kind of heros welcome Benty, Johnnie Jackson or Chrissy Powell will always get when they visit the valley which would have been richly deserved had they not chosen the path they did.

As it is they chose what they chose and as far as i'm concerned I don't want to see their faces at the Valley ever again.
    With Bent, who I likened to Ian Wright in footballing ability, my view is that the club looked to flog him with totteringham offering 16 million.  I had not seen Benty looking to go.

I hear what you are saying though.

Reading between the lines, it seems that Bowyer did not disagree too much with Taylor.
    Don’t think that was true at the time. Remember hearing Bowyer on R5L back then talking about a couple of players (no names if I remember correctly) deciding not to play and he sounded absolutely gutted about it, struggling to contain his disappointment. I was worried Taylor was one of them and so it proved 🐍
  • As there is an important biscuit based poll going should there not be one on Lye Taylor with the following question and answers:

Is Lyle Taylor a total c*nt?

a) yes  or b) yes
  • edited August 2023
    As there is an important biscuit based poll going should there not be one on Lye Taylor with the following question and answers:

Is Lyle Taylor a total c*nt?

a) yes  or b) yes
    a) All day long. 
  • 200 posts over a few days. 

What's Lyle done now?
  • edited August 2023
    Chunes said:

Like for some owners, clubs are 100% just commercial businesses, and we're just their customers. 
    I agree about it being ‘just a job’ to most professional footballers………BUT therein lies the problem with what Lyle did: he refused to work despite being contractually required to do so. Imagine what would happen if you phoned your boss and told them that you had chosen not to come in today just in case you injured yourself before an important holiday. It wouldn’t be acceptable, would it? Breach of contract would have implications. Lyle should have been forced to play even though, of course, we know he would have acted like a baby or even failed to show up. For me, he got away with his breach of contract far too easily.
  • meldrew66 said:
    Chunes said:

I agree about it being ‘just a job’ to most professional footballers………BUT therein lies the problem with what Lyle did: he refused to work despite being contractually required to do so. Imagine what would happen if you phoned your boss and told them that you had chosen not to come in today just in case you injured yourself before an important holiday. It wouldn’t be acceptable, would it? Breach of contract would have implications. Lyle should have been forced to play even though, of course, we know he would have acted like a baby or even failed to show up. For me, he got away with his breach of contract far too easily.
    Or, alternatively, you could say that he was being upfront with Bowyer, by telling him that he couldn't guarantee that he would be 100% committed if he did play in the 3 games before his contract officially expired on 30 June.
    We have to remember that of those 3 games we won 2 and drew 1, so 7 points from 9.
    We didn't get relegated because of the 3 games that Taylor didn't play but because of the shit performances of the players in the other 6 games (and a shit performance from Brentford at home to Barnsley in the last game of the season).
  • Sponsored links:

• I was in the working men's club with @clb74, with a minute to go I got the beers in celebrating us staying up.   Waiting at the bar my miserable moaning mate said "you better get a whisky chaser, we have just gone down.  There has been a last minute goal".
  • edited August 2023
    We went down to an injury time ref error in another match. Of course Taylor would have made a difference. I can't see any way he can come back. Had he left on good terms, the situation would be different.
  • I know Reams has hinted at a potential return, but seriously there is 0% chance of him coming back or us wanting him to come back.

Very good player for us, shit bloke.

Now he's probably a past it player and still a shit bloke.
  • I was in the working men's club with @clb74, with a minute to go I got the beers in celebrating us staying up.   Waiting at the bar my miserable moaning mate said "you better get a whisky chaser, we have just gone down.  There has been a last minute goal".
    At which point I said ‘No chance whilst Elfie’s in the chair’ 😁
  • The trouble is with a few of our fans , we can get a player in who've been at the club for 10 minutes and they talk about that player being a club legend.
    In or out of contract if they don't wanna play , don't play them.
    Go with what we've got and if that means relegation then so be it.

• Taylor’s big move turned into a football disaster  for him  but his bank balance got a big boost , so I guess he’s quite happy.
    The manner of his move didn’t sit well with me at the time and never will. 

• He saw the money sign

So he downed tools 

Everything points to self interest.

Personally I would have played. ( Admittedly, I am not good enough to play at that level)

He stabbed Charlton Athletic in the back, and should never play for us again.

Going down affected the club and his fellow team mates. A much lower budget , meant we cannot  support a Championship Squad on League One money.

Relegation put the skids under the club, and it will take years to return to the Championship.

• In any field of life if someone has the dishonesty to not stand by a contract they should never be trusted or given any second chances