Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lyle Taylor - signed for Cambridge (p268)

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2023
    An absolute tosspot, 

The only way I would even consider taking him back would be if he did the following:

- played for free for the first 15 games he's back as back payment 

- apologise on social media and then on the pitch 

- donate a large sum of money to every charitable organisation associated with us

- stop the council screwing us over parking 

- make the catering at the valley better 

- play on a goal based contract after the first free 15 games 

Then I'd consider it, even then, I'd still boo him.

Had the chance to be even a bit of a cult hero if he played those last games and left on a free, couldn't even do that and bottled it. Good luck to whichever club ends up with the slimeball.
    and I'm the mad one ! @garrymanilow
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    No doubt some club will take a chance when desperation creeps in but the odds are that he is not the same player. I realise that he has been a bit part player but twelve goals in 71 appearances over three years tells me that he is on the decline. 
    Exactly, if he had no previous Charlton connection and we were linked with signing him (not that we appear to be anyway) there would be absolute uproar within the fan base if we were after someone who is approaching 34 years old, and scored 12 goals (including a few penalties) in 71 appearances over 3 years.

Fans would be saying the owners have no money, desperation signing, we already have May & Leaburn, waste of money etc.

I genuinely think some fans believe players just don't age when they move on and can just come back in and still expect them to perform the same as before.
  • Options
    If I was at any league 1 club other than us I'd have offered him a contract over the summer. The fact that he hasn't signed anywhere suggests there is something wrong. Either fitness, wage demands or people really have got pissed off with his attitude and don't want to touch him.
  • Options
    i'm honestly astonished we are even discussing this guy still when we have Alfie May. Imagine pulling Cindy Crawford and pining after Lindsay Lohan 
    Cindy Crawford is almost 60. No thanks.
  • Options
    It was fine for him when he had skills that improved sides. You can overlook the negatives and selfishness. But when thse skills are on the wane, the negatives become more of a factor when deciding whether to take him on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Surprised he can't even get a short term deal in League 2 , would have thought someone struggling for goals would have taken a punt on him. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Surprised he can't even get a short term deal in League 2 , would have thought someone struggling for goals would have taken a punt on him. 
    I picture myself being a chairman mad enough to consider it. I'm sat there writing up the 1-year contract when it occurs to me that he might refuse to play the last few months of it. At that point, I'm reminded of what kind of 'professional' he is and I think, is this really worth it?

Oh absolutely, I guess the comparison I had in my head was Troy Deeney at Forest Green but given Taylor's lack of games in the past few years I can understand why clubs would steer clear. 
  • Options
    Just stumbled across this article from 5th October,  which tells us that prior to his appearance at Gills training session, he was training with Sheff Weds who weren't sure what to do with him. Their manager since lost his job and Danny Rohl has taken over with Chris Powell as assistant coach. Presumably Taylor is still stuck on Birminghams books..

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/lyle-taylor-transfer-doubt-after-27846228
    He's been a free agent since his Forest contract expired in the summer. Genuinely surprised he's not at least found a league 2 side like a return to Wimbledon.
    I know someone who works at AFC Wimbledon....They told me they have tried to sign him numerous times but he's asking too much money
  • Options
    We love the same old chat.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    i'm honestly astonished we are even discussing this guy still when we have Alfie May. Imagine pulling Cindy Crawford and pining after Lindsay Lohan 
    Are you nuts?

Jan 2023:

• Options
    He don't like football
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    As as been stated by others the single person that was most damaged by L Taylor was Lee Bowyer and his managerial career, as surviving that first season in the Championship would have been a major achievement. From what I heard on radio etc he never criticised  Taylor altho he was disappointed....why ...because he was a professional footballer himself and knew that the truth about the life changing amounts of money available to Taylor if he signed for NF.

The major reason amongst many lesser ones why we got relegated was the run of 10 games just before Xmas into New Year with 14 first team squad injured. From hazy memory I think we only won one game in that run, even if it was more it was a very poor run of form over a vital period.

The bitterness on this forum towards Taylor seems to me so extreme that many here would prefer to wallow in L1 than get out of it with the aid of his talent.

I'm not in that camp at all. If he could help us into the Championship I'd grab the chance. The contract would have to incentivise him to play and score. The qualities he has -particularly to hold the ball up- none of the current squad can match. Leaburn and Aneke could learn a lot from him. May is an outstanding finisher and good in build up play- holding the ball up- well less said the better.   I agree that May will outscore Taylor in any season, but Taylor can help us win matches in a way May can't. All Mays chasing around closing down has yet to result in anything(of course I hope it will eventually).

There's a lot of expertise on this forum and some of you may know the names of up and coming talent we could sign to replace an exit of Leaburn (or ? May) in  Jan 24, or a diagnosis that Chuks will never recover from. I don't, but I do know that the skills and talent of Lyle Taylor could fit the bill and our budget. Do you honestly think that the Americans would put more money in in Jan? They are funding us about £8million/pa already.

Yes there are unknowns- fitness, sharpness, motivation. But look at the signings made recently in Andy Scotts tenure- Penney/KilKenny/ Abankwah/? Tedic/ . Remember we signed Omar Bogle a few seasons ago. ie we were(and still are) in the bargain basement.

I  think Taylor would be a good signing. There are always risks, mostly these are known with Taylor. What is more unknown of other players is their abilities. I think we can be more confident about this with Taylor.

So lets have some names of better strikers - and remember they have to be free

Alfie May and Miles Leaburn are doing just fine.
    We lost to Bolton/Peterborough/ and others
  • Options
    As as been stated by others the single person that was most damaged by L Taylor was Lee Bowyer and his managerial career, as surviving that first season in the Championship would have been a major achievement. From what I heard on radio etc he never criticised  Taylor altho he was disappointed....why ...because he was a professional footballer himself and knew that the truth about the life changing amounts of money available to Taylor if he signed for NF.

The major reason amongst many lesser ones why we got relegated was the run of 10 games just before Xmas into New Year with 14 first team squad injured. From hazy memory I think we only won one game in that run, even if it was more it was a very poor run of form over a vital period.

The bitterness on this forum towards Taylor seems to me so extreme that many here would prefer to wallow in L1 than get out of it with the aid of his talent.

I'm not in that camp at all. If he could help us into the Championship I'd grab the chance. The contract would have to incentivise him to play and score. The qualities he has -particularly to hold the ball up- none of the current squad can match. Leaburn and Aneke could learn a lot from him. May is an outstanding finisher and good in build up play- holding the ball up- well less said the better.   I agree that May will outscore Taylor in any season, but Taylor can help us win matches in a way May can't. All Mays chasing around closing down has yet to result in anything(of course I hope it will eventually).

There's a lot of expertise on this forum and some of you may know the names of up and coming talent we could sign to replace an exit of Leaburn (or ? May) in  Jan 24, or a diagnosis that Chuks will never recover from. I don't, but I do know that the skills and talent of Lyle Taylor could fit the bill and our budget. Do you honestly think that the Americans would put more money in in Jan? They are funding us about £8million/pa already.

Yes there are unknowns- fitness, sharpness, motivation. But look at the signings made recently in Andy Scotts tenure- Penney/KilKenny/ Abankwah/? Tedic/ . Remember we signed Omar Bogle a few seasons ago. ie we were(and still are) in the bargain basement.

I  think Taylor would be a good signing. There are always risks, mostly these are known with Taylor. What is more unknown of other players is their abilities. I think we can be more confident about this with Taylor.

Taylor scored 20+ goals once for us and once for AFC Wimbledon 

May is heading for his 3rd 20+ goal season in a row

Why would we sign a player who hasnt played league football for 18+ months when we have Alfie May and Miles Leaburn 

Why would we sign a player who hasnt played league football for 18+ months when we have Alfie May and Miles Leaburn 
    He has qualities like holding the ball up they don't have in their locker plus he can do everything else ( May is a better finisher). Leaburn maybe gone by Feb 24 and either of them could pick up an injury.  Bring him into train with the squad, or as someone else suggested get Jesse Lingard ( ha ! Ha !) very likely.
    Someone said he is older and not as good well try him in an U23 game etc lets see
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    He don't like football
    That's what I was thinking.  Why would he bother playing further down the pyramid after a couple of years sitting on his arse for a good salary when he's not even interested in the game?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Macronate said:
    PopIcon said:
    Are you nuts?

Jan 2023:

It's PR spin amigo. What you actually get is an old sock.
  • Options
    Lindsay could be back up!
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    He don't like football
    That's what I was thinking.  Why would he bother playing further down the pyramid after a couple of years sitting on his arse for a good salary when he's not even interested in the game?
    Or why would he bother training with Wednesday for nothing, doing something he don't like
  • Options
    An absolute tosspot, 

The only way I would even consider taking him back would be if he did the following:

- donate a large sum of money to every charitable organisation associated with us

Had the chance to be even a bit of a cult hero if he played those last games and left on a free, couldn't even do that and bottled it. Good luck to whichever club ends up with the slimeball.
    Brazilian, I enjoy watching your videos and you are a cheerful chap , even when the tide is against the team. Stay positive.
    There's a lot of emotion in the comments, understandable but really this is a business decision.
    Our current strikers aren't consistent at holding the ball up and taking the pressure off the frail defence. Alfie May is a fantastic finisher, Leaburn a great prospect. Chuks is semi-permanent injured. All have weakness in the ability to hold the ball up to varying degrees and none has mastered it. We should be looking at all possible prospects to cover losing one of these players.

Bolton came to the Valley a few weeks ago, Boovarsen came on for 10-15 mins. CAFC were trying to pressure BW. and were in there half. He didn't score but he did well, I remember him receiving the ball close to the touchline facing the North Stand/ ~Curbishley stand side half way between penalty area and the half way and shielding it well from close attention of one of our players and laying it off to a another BW player and they were out of trouble and into our half. In a tough game he was put on to "shore things up"-from the front.
    ? out of contract summer of '24 but I think we won't spend in Jan so rule him out on that basis.Thats the kind of play that makes you hard to beat. (yes that's all based on 10-15 mins but gives the idea).

There may be other players who are on a free who could do a job from the case I am making is it would be an emotional decision by the fanbase to rule Lyle Taylor out, not a business one. And it is a business. And LT is in a weaker negotiating position day by day - which is better for any club that goes in for him.

You can always try and "snatch" Bogle back which it seems many might prefer 

it would be a shame if Alfie scores 20+ goals (maybe 30+?) and we end up staying in Div1.

Looking forward to your next video , lets hope the result is better this time, but post it whatever the result

• Options

He has qualities like holding the ball up they don't have in their locker plus he can do everything else ( May is a better finisher). Leaburn maybe gone by Feb 24 and either of them could pick up an injury.  Bring him into train with the squad, or as someone else suggested get Jesse Lingard ( ha ! Ha !) very likely.
    Someone said he is older and not as good well try him in an U23 game etc lets see
    I'm not sure who I would less like to see in a Charlton shirt again , Taylor or Kirk.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    He don't like football
    Or why would he bother training with Wednesday for nothing, doing something he don't like
    Dunno. Hoping some desperate Championship club will cough up another payday come January? He's on record as saying he isn't interested in football, so doubt it's love of the game!
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    An absolute tosspot, 

Brazilian, I enjoy watching your videos and you are a cheerful chap , even when the tide is against the team. Stay positive.
    There's a lot of emotion in the comments, understandable but really this is a business decision.
    Our current strikers aren't consistent at holding the ball up and taking the pressure off the frail defence. Alfie May is a fantastic finisher, Leaburn a great prospect. Chuks is semi-permanent injured. All have weakness in the ability to hold the ball up to varying degrees and none has mastered it. We should be looking at all possible prospects to cover losing one of these players.

Bolton came to the Valley a few weeks ago, Boovarsen came on for 10-15 mins. CAFC were trying to pressure BW. and were in there half. He didn't score but he did well, I remember him receiving the ball close to the touchline facing the North Stand/ ~Curbishley stand side half way between penalty area and the half way and shielding it well from close attention of one of our players and laying it off to a another BW player and they were out of trouble and into our half. In a tough game he was put on to "shore things up"-from the front.
    ? out of contract summer of '24 but I think we won't spend in Jan so rule him out on that basis.Thats the kind of play that makes you hard to beat. (yes that's all based on 10-15 mins but gives the idea).

There may be other players who are on a free who could do a job from the case I am making is it would be an emotional decision by the fanbase to rule Lyle Taylor out, not a business one. And it is a business. And LT is in a weaker negotiating position day by day - which is better for any club that goes in for him.

it would be a shame if Alfie scores 20+ goals (maybe 30+?) and we end up staying in Div1.

Looking forward to your next video , lets hope the result is better this time, but post it whatever the result

How is LT in a weaker bargaining position day by day? He was on PL wages at Forest and even in the Championship on good wages. I’d wager he’s only training with clubs to keep fit. He thinks so much of himself he’s probably wondering why a Saudi club hasn’t come in for him yet. He won’t drop to League 1 or 2 because he’s ego won’t let him. I wouldn’t want him back, he’s a see you next Tuesday. I’d boo him every touch. His return, not that it will happen, would be counter productive. You say we could do with his hold up play. We could have done without him refusing to play for us last time round, one match, one goal, could have kept us up. As said no thanks. I don’t see how anyone could countenance it being a good idea. 
  • Options
    An absolute tosspot, 

Thank you mate.

I have to be honest here, most of that post I was messing around haha, but I do not see the need to ever bring him back. It's history now and there are better players avaliable in this league and the league below who have been actively playing. 

I of course would want a player who is the same level as Lyle from 18/19 on a clean slate but it isn't realistic. I think he made his money and he himself always said it was just a career to him and he doesn't enjoy football. 

Plenty of talent in these leagues and our money is better spent on them over what kind of wage it would take to get someone like that. 

Will be tomorrow and I will post it irrespective of the result. I can't say it will be an enthusiastic one if we do manage to muck it up however.