Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lyle Taylor - signed for Cambridge (p268)

Comments

• Options
    cafctom said:
    As as been stated by others the single person that was most damaged by L Taylor was Lee Bowyer and his managerial career, as surviving that first season in the Championship would have been a major achievement. From what I heard on radio etc he never criticised  Taylor altho he was disappointed....why ...because he was a professional footballer himself and knew that the truth about the life changing amounts of money available to Taylor if he signed for NF.

The major reason amongst many lesser ones why we got relegated was the run of 10 games just before Xmas into New Year with 14 first team squad injured. From hazy memory I think we only won one game in that run, even if it was more it was a very poor run of form over a vital period.

The bitterness on this forum towards Taylor seems to me so extreme that many here would prefer to wallow in L1 than get out of it with the aid of his talent.

I'm not in that camp at all. If he could help us into the Championship I'd grab the chance. The contract would have to incentivise him to play and score. The qualities he has -particularly to hold the ball up- none of the current squad can match. Leaburn and Aneke could learn a lot from him. May is an outstanding finisher and good in build up play- holding the ball up- well less said the better.   I agree that May will outscore Taylor in any season, but Taylor can help us win matches in a way May can't. All Mays chasing around closing down has yet to result in anything(of course I hope it will eventually).

There's a lot of expertise on this forum and some of you may know the names of up and coming talent we could sign to replace an exit of Leaburn (or ? May) in  Jan 24, or a diagnosis that Chuks will never recover from. I don't, but I do know that the skills and talent of Lyle Taylor could fit the bill and our budget. Do you honestly think that the Americans would put more money in in Jan? They are funding us about £8million/pa already.

Yes there are unknowns- fitness, sharpness, motivation. But look at the signings made recently in Andy Scotts tenure- Penney/KilKenny/ Abankwah/? Tedic/ . Remember we signed Omar Bogle a few seasons ago. ie we were(and still are) in the bargain basement.

I  think Taylor would be a good signing. There are always risks, mostly these are known with Taylor. What is more unknown of other players is their abilities. I think we can be more confident about this with Taylor.

So lets have some names of better strikers - and remember they have to be free

Alfie May and Miles Leaburn are doing just fine.
    We lost to Bolton/Peterborough/ and others
    And you think that’s down to the likes of May who has scored 12 goals in 15 games?
  • Options
    if he can deliver 30 goals, I will go get him, an carry him here on my back……
  • Options
    I think Taylor must be looking with some envy at former club mate Harry Arter who refuses to terminate his 40K weekly pay contract, despite not playing for two years. 

He returned to the club after his holiday for pre season 2 kilos over the club's threshold.  His only offer recently has come from Dubai for a lousy £1000 per week - unsurprisingly he turned that down as he continues to get fat at Forest's expense.  I mean, he hardly featured for Forest in the Championship, but still got a hefty pay rise and a year's extension when the club won promotion.  Arter and his agent have laughed all the way to the bank.

Taylor may pride himself on his shirking, but he is still League One compared to Arter.   
  • Options
    I think Taylor must be looking with some envy at former club mate Harry Arter who refuses to terminate his 40K weekly pay contract, despite not playing for two years. 

He returned to the club after his holiday for pre season 2 kilos over the club's threshold.  His only offer recently has come from Dubai for a lousy £1000 per week - unsurprisingly he turned that down as he continues to get fat at Forest's expense.  I mean, he hardly featured for Forest in the Championship, but still got a hefty pay rise and a year's extension when the club won promotion.  Arter and his agent have laughed all the way to the bank.

Taylor may pride himself on his shirking, but he is still League One compared to Arter.   
    Football really is incredible at times.

He last played for Forest in January 2021. In May 2021 he was told he wasn't in their plans and was free to leave. Yet when they got promoted a year later in May 2022, he got a pay rise AND an extra year on his contract.

In the last 3 years he's played 4 league games for us and 9 for Notts County in non-league and in that time has earned around 6m quid!!
  • Options
    Who gave him that contract? Was it Andy Scott?
  • Options
    As as been stated by others the single person that was most damaged by L Taylor was Lee Bowyer and his managerial career, as surviving that first season in the Championship would have been a major achievement. From what I heard on radio etc he never criticised  Taylor altho he was disappointed....why ...because he was a professional footballer himself and knew that the truth about the life changing amounts of money available to Taylor if he signed for NF.

The major reason amongst many lesser ones why we got relegated was the run of 10 games just before Xmas into New Year with 14 first team squad injured. From hazy memory I think we only won one game in that run, even if it was more it was a very poor run of form over a vital period.

The bitterness on this forum towards Taylor seems to me so extreme that many here would prefer to wallow in L1 than get out of it with the aid of his talent.

I'm not in that camp at all. If he could help us into the Championship I'd grab the chance. The contract would have to incentivise him to play and score. The qualities he has -particularly to hold the ball up- none of the current squad can match. Leaburn and Aneke could learn a lot from him. May is an outstanding finisher and good in build up play- holding the ball up- well less said the better.   I agree that May will outscore Taylor in any season, but Taylor can help us win matches in a way May can't. All Mays chasing around closing down has yet to result in anything(of course I hope it will eventually).

There's a lot of expertise on this forum and some of you may know the names of up and coming talent we could sign to replace an exit of Leaburn (or ? May) in  Jan 24, or a diagnosis that Chuks will never recover from. I don't, but I do know that the skills and talent of Lyle Taylor could fit the bill and our budget. Do you honestly think that the Americans would put more money in in Jan? They are funding us about £8million/pa already.

Yes there are unknowns- fitness, sharpness, motivation. But look at the signings made recently in Andy Scotts tenure- Penney/KilKenny/ Abankwah/? Tedic/ . Remember we signed Omar Bogle a few seasons ago. ie we were(and still are) in the bargain basement.

I  think Taylor would be a good signing. There are always risks, mostly these are known with Taylor. What is more unknown of other players is their abilities. I think we can be more confident about this with Taylor.

Taylor scored 20+ goals once for us and once for AFC Wimbledon 

May is heading for his 3rd 20+ goal season in a row

Why would we sign a player who hasnt played league football for 18+ months when we have Alfie May and Miles Leaburn 

Why would we sign a player who hasnt played league football for 18+ months when we have Alfie May and Miles Leaburn 
    He has qualities like holding the ball up they don't have in their locker plus he can do everything else ( May is a better finisher). Leaburn maybe gone by Feb 24 and either of them could pick up an injury.  Bring him into train with the squad, or as someone else suggested get Jesse Lingard ( ha ! Ha !) very likely.
    Someone said he is older and not as good well try him in an U23 game etc lets see
    I didn't suggest we got Lingaard. You asked which better strikers are there on a free. I answered your question!

Taylor is a busted flush. If you take a step back and ignore the fact he legged us over... why would a L1 club with aspirations want to sign a striker with this profile, or think paying him would be a good business decision:

- Turns 34 in March (average retirement age in football is 35).
    - Not played a single club game since May '22 - fully 18 months ago
    - In his last full season of 21/22 played 33 games and managed 8 non penalty goals - less than 1 in 4.
    - In the season before 20/21 played 42 games and managed 5 goals - less than 1 in 8.
    - Has documented attitude problems.
    - Has said he doesn't enjoy football but sees at as a job.
    - Has not performed since signing a big contract which set him up for life.
    - Has had trials at several clubs since the end of last season across Championship, League One and League Two and failed to win a contract at any of them despite being on a free.

He is exactly the sort of player we should be avoiding at all costs. See Watson and Matthews etc etc in recent years for older players seeing out their careers with no financial pressures to motivate and no affection for our club.
    Absolutely nail on head. Can we close the thread now?
  • Options
    An absolute tosspot, 

The only way I would even consider taking him back would be if he did the following:

- played for free for the first 15 games he's back as back payment 

- apologise on social media and then on the pitch 

- donate a large sum of money to every charitable organisation associated with us

- stop the council screwing us over parking 

- make the catering at the valley better 

- play on a goal based contract after the first free 15 games 

Then I'd consider it, even then, I'd still boo him.

Had the chance to be even a bit of a cult hero if he played those last games and left on a free, couldn't even do that and bottled it. Good luck to whichever club ends up with the slimeball.
    Brazilian, I enjoy watching your videos and you are a cheerful chap , even when the tide is against the team. Stay positive.
    There's a lot of emotion in the comments, understandable but really this is a business decision.
    Our current strikers aren't consistent at holding the ball up and taking the pressure off the frail defence. Alfie May is a fantastic finisher, Leaburn a great prospect. Chuks is semi-permanent injured. All have weakness in the ability to hold the ball up to varying degrees and none has mastered it. We should be looking at all possible prospects to cover losing one of these players.

Bolton came to the Valley a few weeks ago, Boovarsen came on for 10-15 mins. CAFC were trying to pressure BW. and were in there half. He didn't score but he did well, I remember him receiving the ball close to the touchline facing the North Stand/ ~Curbishley stand side half way between penalty area and the half way and shielding it well from close attention of one of our players and laying it off to a another BW player and they were out of trouble and into our half. In a tough game he was put on to "shore things up"-from the front.
    ? out of contract summer of '24 but I think we won't spend in Jan so rule him out on that basis.Thats the kind of play that makes you hard to beat. (yes that's all based on 10-15 mins but gives the idea).

There may be other players who are on a free who could do a job from the case I am making is it would be an emotional decision by the fanbase to rule Lyle Taylor out, not a business one. And it is a business. And LT is in a weaker negotiating position day by day - which is better for any club that goes in for him.

You can always try and "snatch" Bogle back which it seems many might prefer 

it would be a shame if Alfie scores 20+ goals (maybe 30+?) and we end up staying in Div1.

Looking forward to your next video , lets hope the result is better this time, but post it whatever the result

A Business Decision you say.

I would have thought on that basis you wouldn't think about signing Taylor.  You have a harmonious workforce in the dressing room and your thinking of placing a guy in the midst of it that has downed tools and basically said fuck you the last time round. 

Don't you think that says to all the rest if you don't like anything or you think training is a bit hard don't worry its ok to ease of do what is best for you.

If it were my business, I wouldn't touch someone with a bargepole who thinks its ok to break a contract and leave me in the shit at the worst possible time. 

As for suggesting we can snatch Bogle back.  Come on that's just using a weak worse scenario to back up a point of view.   He is L2 standard and even Charlton not wanting to spend money can get better than that.

Even if Taylor came back as you want, that will NOT guarantee promotion even with Alfie scoring 20+ goals either, especially as our Achilles heel is our defence and general defending including midfield.   

The point that has been made previously on this thread that Taylor isn't match fit hasn't played for sometime and is a few years older is not worth the risk.  Is a valid footballing reason not to sign him.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    robroy said:
    If he came back, I would not watch another game until he left. There will not be a player in the next 50 years that would do to us what he did! 

He relegated us and we have been in this piss poor league ever since! 

Let's also not forget the "First day at big school" post.

Cretin of the highest order (insert Snake emoji here)
    Second day at big school:
    Smoking bike sheds hi-res stock photography and images - Alamy
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Sheffield Wednesday have scored just 3 goals in their last 10 games. And they still passed on Lyle. I think that should say it all. 
    To be fair that was at that exact point the owner refused to put any money in, so they were never signing him once that happened, whether he was decent on trial or not.
  • Options

He has qualities like holding the ball up they don't have in their locker plus he can do everything else ( May is a better finisher). Leaburn maybe gone by Feb 24 and either of them could pick up an injury.  Bring him into train with the squad, or as someone else suggested get Jesse Lingard ( ha ! Ha !) very likely.
    Someone said he is older and not as good well try him in an U23 game etc lets see
    I'm not sure who I would less like to see in a Charlton shirt again , Taylor or Kirk.
    Kirk's been Useless . Taylor is a turncoat scumbag. There's always a (slim) chance Kirk could come good but Taylor will always be an arse hole. I know who i'd rather see play for Charlton. 
    Taylor.
  • Options
    He's the type of bellend that I reckon has been offered a contract somewhere but won't accept the 'low' wages and is demanding stupid money
  • Options
    Does anyone know if he's still training with Gills? Could add a bit of spice to the game down there if he ended up signing for them
  • Options
    Does anyone know if he's still training with Gills? Could add a bit of spice to the game down there if he ended up signing for them
    There is no way the moron's ego would let him sign for Gillingham. 
  • Options
    Just signed for Wycombe on a short term deal. Brandon Hanlon out for the rest of the season so they made the move on that basis only it appears…
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just signed for Wycombe on a short term deal. Brandon Hanlon out for the rest of the season so they made the move on that basis only it appears…
    Plus we've already played them at home and I doubt he'll still be there come the end of April when we play at theirs
  • Options
    Wycombe away, last game of the season.

If he's still there and that game has significance, that could get very tasty 
  • Options

I didn't suggest we got Lingaard. You asked which better strikers are there on a free. I answered your question!

Taylor is a busted flush. If you take a step back and ignore the fact he legged us over... why would a L1 club with aspirations want to sign a striker with this profile, or think paying him would be a good business decision:

- Turns 34 in March (average retirement age in football is 35).
    - Not played a single club game since May '22 - fully 18 months ago
    - In his last full season of 21/22 played 33 games and managed 8 non penalty goals - less than 1 in 4.
    - In the season before 20/21 played 42 games and managed 5 goals - less than 1 in 8.
    - Has documented attitude problems.
    - Has said he doesn't enjoy football but sees at as a job.
    - Has not performed since signing a big contract which set him up for life.
    - Has had trials at several clubs since the end of last season across Championship, League One and League Two and failed to win a contract at any of them despite being on a free.
    d
    He is exactly the sort of player we should be avoiding at all costs. See Watson and Matthews etc etc in recent years for older players seeing out their careers with no financial pressures to motivate and no affection for our club.
    Well one of us is going to learn something in the next 5 months as he's signed for Wycombe my son told me. I've eaten loads of humble pie in my time, one more meal won't worry me. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Sheffield Wednesday have scored just 3 goals in their last 10 games. And they still passed on Lyle. I think that should say it all. 
    Sheff Weds= no cash
  • Options
    An absolute tosspot, 

The only way I would even consider taking him back would be if he did the following:

- donate a large sum of money to every charitable organisation associated with us

Had the chance to be even a bit of a cult hero if he played those last games and left on a free, couldn't even do that and bottled it. Good luck to whichever club ends up with the slimeball.
    Brazilian, I enjoy watching your videos and you are a cheerful chap , even when the tide is against the team. Stay positive.
    There's a lot of emotion in the comments, understandable but really this is a business decision.
    Our current strikers aren't consistent at holding the ball up and taking the pressure off the frail defence. Alfie May is a fantastic finisher, Leaburn a great prospect. Chuks is semi-permanent injured. All have weakness in the ability to hold the ball up to varying degrees and none has mastered it. We should be looking at all possible prospects to cover losing one of these players.

Bolton came to the Valley a few weeks ago, Boovarsen came on for 10-15 mins. CAFC were trying to pressure BW. and were in there half. He didn't score but he did well, I remember him receiving the ball close to the touchline facing the North Stand/ ~Curbishley stand side half way between penalty area and the half way and shielding it well from close attention of one of our players and laying it off to a another BW player and they were out of trouble and into our half. In a tough game he was put on to "shore things up"-from the front.
    ? out of contract summer of '24 but I think we won't spend in Jan so rule him out on that basis.Thats the kind of play that makes you hard to beat. (yes that's all based on 10-15 mins but gives the idea).

There may be other players who are on a free who could do a job from the case I am making is it would be an emotional decision by the fanbase to rule Lyle Taylor out, not a business one. And it is a business. And LT is in a weaker negotiating position day by day - which is better for any club that goes in for him.

it would be a shame if Alfie scores 20+ goals (maybe 30+?) and we end up staying in Div1.

Looking forward to your next video , lets hope the result is better this time, but post it whatever the result

I would have thought on that basis you wouldn't think about signing Taylor.  You have a harmonious workforce in the dressing room and your thinking of placing a guy in the midst of it that has downed tools and basically said fuck you the last time round. 

Don't you think that says to all the rest if you don't like anything or you think training is a bit hard don't worry its ok to ease of do what is best for you.

If it were my business, I wouldn't touch someone with a bargepole who thinks its ok to break a contract and leave me in the shit at the worst possible time. 

As for suggesting we can snatch Bogle back.  Come on that's just using a weak worse scenario to back up a point of view.   He is L2 standard and even Charlton not wanting to spend money can get better than that.

Even if Taylor came back as you want, that will NOT guarantee promotion even with Alfie scoring 20+ goals either, especially as our Achilles heel is our defence and general defending including midfield.   

The point that has been made previously on this thread that Taylor isn't match fit hasn't played for sometime and is a few years older is not worth the risk.  Is a valid footballing reason not to sign him.

An absolute tosspot, 

Of course the achilles heel is the defence. Just look at the number of players we have in the regular squad who incapable of tackling. CBT, Tyreece C , Fraser, yes Alfie May Leaburn. Some try, but aren't much cop at it, others  don't try. If you have one Dennis Rommendahl in the team it's one too many in L1. They all need to do a shift.
    Ask yourself how many in the Bolton Wanderers don't tackle? Lyle Taylor would have helped us in difficult matches by holding the ball up and tackling. Too late now. Confident he  will do well at Wycombe and push them forward. But we can all be wrong so lets see over a season.
  • Options

Striker Firmani- your comments "re standard L2 players" our team has a lot of those in the first team squad, this is the recruitment record so far of Andy Scott. Bogles in defence and midfield-(and stand -in keepers).
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:

And you think that’s down to the likes of May who has scored 12 goals in 15 games?
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:

1-0 Peterborough won
    0-2 Bolton won

We didn't score in either. My point is it takes team effort to beat these teams. Including strikers capable of doing a shift.
    The danger of this season is we have one of the highest scoring strikers in the League, maybe highest scoring team but don't get in to the playoffs. Because we don't defend, AS A Team. some are incapable of it. LT has those capabilities.He is a different range of skills that would have helped us. But he'll be helping Wycombe by all accounts.