Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lyle Taylor - signed for Cambridge (p268)

Comments

• I know Reams has hinted at a potential return, but seriously there is 0% chance of him coming back or us wanting him to come back.

Very good player for us, shit bloke.

Now he's probably a past it player and still a shit bloke.
    He has definitely got good contacts, but he has also mentioned Kelechi Iheanacho whos annual salary is a third of the cost of our entire club, so id probably take it with a small pinch of salt
  • To be fair, just read it and he hasnt really hinted at taylor at all
  • Still boils my piss... 
  • I'm surprised by Bowyer's lukewarm response to Taylor's self absorbed, self indulgent, egotistical actions. 

Remember this is a team game and Taylor's shenanigans would have hit everyone else in the pocket with the (almost) inevitable relegation.  Would Taylor give a toss?  Absolutely not.  Why not?  He has no respect for anyone.  In fact he's lost all self respect too imo.

• edited August 2023
    clb74 said:
    I was in the working men's club with @clb74, with a minute to go I got the beers in celebrating us staying up.   Waiting at the bar my miserable moaning mate said "you better get a whisky chaser, we have just gone down.  There has been a last minute goal".
    Yep .
    I remember that night.
    I think I had the hump because you brought out 1 £20 note for the whole night
    Ffs :'( you are right.  I remember that.

I'll give you back the .57p I was short on the round.
  • edited August 2023
    I'm surprised by Bowyer's lukewarm response to Taylor's self absorbed, self indulgent, egotistical actions. 

Remember this is a team game and Taylor's shenanigans would have hit everyone else in the pocket with the (almost) inevitable relegation.  Would Taylor give a toss?  Absolutely not.  Why not?  He has no respect for anyone.  In fact he's lost all self respect too imo.

It seemed a bit un Bowyer like I thought. It could be argued it put a spanner in his career. We will never know but things could have been different for him if he kept us up. Maybe not us, but more likely him. He left us for another basket case, He might have got a better job.

The thing about Taylor is he would potentially be able to do a job for us in the very short term but he would come with too much baggage. It would be likely not to work and may damage the whole team if it got toxic which it could possibly do. I do think that his attitude to us will make other clubs wary of him seeing he is clearly not getting better as a player.
  • Sponsored links:

• Every Club in the nation is helping Lyle out....keeping him injury free ready for his next move!

They know he wants to be the centre of attention, don't they and aren't overly interested?
  • edited November 2023
    Just stumbled across this article from 5th October,  which tells us that prior to his appearance at Gills training session, he was training with Sheff Weds who weren't sure what to do with him. Their manager since lost his job and Danny Rohl has taken over with Chris Powell as assistant coach. Presumably Taylor is still a free agent

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/lyle-taylor-transfer-doubt-after-27846228
  • Just stumbled across this article from 5th October,  which tells us that prior to his appearance at Gills training session, he was training with Sheff Weds who weren't sure what to do with him. Their manager since lost his job and Danny Rohl has taken over with Chris Powell as assistant coach. Presumably Taylor is still stuck on Birminghams books..

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/lyle-taylor-transfer-doubt-after-27846228
    He's been a free agent since his Forest contract expired in the summer. Genuinely surprised he's not at least found a league 2 side like a return to Wimbledon.
  • He's not on anyone's books, am I missing something about Birmingham?
  • He's not on anyone's books, am I missing something about Birmingham?
    My mistake. Edited. Apologies.
  • edited November 2023
    He's done nothing for 18 months, is the wrong side of 30 and has an attitude problem. He has been lazy since signing his big contract. Some L2 team desperate enough will take him and I suspect that will be Gills as their owners have high expectations but their team can't score.  We could see him against us in the cup if we can find a way to beat CVPM.
  • Just stumbled across this article from 5th October,  which tells us that prior to his appearance at Gills training session, he was training with Sheff Weds who weren't sure what to do with him. Their manager since lost his job and Danny Rohl has taken over with Chris Powell as assistant coach. Presumably Taylor is still stuck on Birminghams books..

He's been a free agent since his Forest contract expired in the summer. Genuinely surprised he's not at least found a league 2 side like a return to Wimbledon.
    A few reasons maybe.......

He thinks anything lower than Premiership or top Championship is "below" him.

Or

He is minted enough after 3 years with Forest that he doesnt need full time employment 

Or

Word has got around football that he can't be trusted to see out his contract and with 6 months left he might just down tools because he us looking for another pay day. 

For sure a number of clubs have probably talked to his agent but either side were probably not happy with what was on offer.

Like Curbs and management.....once you're out of football for a period of time then it's hard getting back in. 
  • The fully motivated and mobile Lyle Taylor that played well for Wimbledon and for us (for 18 months) would be an excellent signing for any L1 team, and indeed a struggling Championship side like Rotherham.

His exit from us would certainly cause clubs to question his loyalty, but more importantly, does he still have the hunger any more? Without that, he's a massive risk.
  • The fully motivated and mobile Lyle Taylor that played well for Wimbledon and for us (for 18 months) would be an excellent signing for any L1 team, and indeed a struggling Championship side like Rotherham.

His exit from us would certainly cause clubs to question his loyalty, but more importantly, does he still have the hunger any more? Without that, he's a massive risk.
    Even with that, he is a massive risk.

he hasn't played a competitive league game since may 2022. By the time a team like Rotherham get him up to speed, it will be 2024.

There are players like tariq fosu who are a lot younger and unemployed, I can't see a way back for the 🐍 . I think his career is now over. 
  • Sponsored links:

A few reasons maybe.......

He thinks anything lower than Premiership or top Championship is "below" him.

Or

He is minted enough after 3 years with Forest that he doesnt need full time employment 

Or

Word has got around football that he can't be trusted to see out his contract and with 6 months left he might just down tools because he us looking for another pay day. 

For sure a number of clubs have probably talked to his agent but either side were probably not happy with what was on offer.

Like Curbs and management.....once you're out of football for a period of time then it's hard getting back in. 
    It's the latter I have been lead to believe 

• So lets have some names of better strikers - and remember they have to be free

Jesse Lingaard.
  • Don't underestimate what I keep saying about people being wary of him and his character. Let's say Gillingham are tempted, he will imediately become their highest earner and anytime he goes down or misses a training session everyone else into he squad will be questioning his character. Referees hardly trusted him when he was with us. Word gets around in football and squads are built on unity, he will probably get a contract at a basket case club like Birmingham or QPR when they get desperate 
  • As as been stated by others the single person that was most damaged by L Taylor was Lee Bowyer and his managerial career, as surviving that first season in the Championship would have been a major achievement. From what I heard on radio etc he never criticised  Taylor altho he was disappointed....why ...because he was a professional footballer himself and knew that the truth about the life changing amounts of money available to Taylor if he signed for NF.

The major reason amongst many lesser ones why we got relegated was the run of 10 games just before Xmas into New Year with 14 first team squad injured. From hazy memory I think we only won one game in that run, even if it was more it was a very poor run of form over a vital period.

The bitterness on this forum towards Taylor seems to me so extreme that many here would prefer to wallow in L1 than get out of it with the aid of his talent.

I'm not in that camp at all. If he could help us into the Championship I'd grab the chance. The contract would have to incentivise him to play and score. The qualities he has -particularly to hold the ball up- none of the current squad can match. Leaburn and Aneke could learn a lot from him. May is an outstanding finisher and good in build up play- holding the ball up- well less said the better.   I agree that May will outscore Taylor in any season, but Taylor can help us win matches in a way May can't. All Mays chasing around closing down has yet to result in anything(of course I hope it will eventually).

There's a lot of expertise on this forum and some of you may know the names of up and coming talent we could sign to replace an exit of Leaburn (or ? May) in  Jan 24, or a diagnosis that Chuks will never recover from. I don't, but I do know that the skills and talent of Lyle Taylor could fit the bill and our budget. Do you honestly think that the Americans would put more money in in Jan? They are funding us about £8million/pa already.

Yes there are unknowns- fitness, sharpness, motivation. But look at the signings made recently in Andy Scotts tenure- Penney/KilKenny/ Abankwah/? Tedic/ . Remember we signed Omar Bogle a few seasons ago. ie we were(and still are) in the bargain basement.

I  think Taylor would be a good signing. There are always risks, mostly these are known with Taylor. What is more unknown of other players is their abilities. I think we can be more confident about this with Taylor.

So lets have some names of better strikers - and remember they have to be free

Alfie May and Miles Leaburn are doing just fine.
  • As as been stated by others the single person that was most damaged by L Taylor was Lee Bowyer and his managerial career, as surviving that first season in the Championship would have been a major achievement. From what I heard on radio etc he never criticised  Taylor altho he was disappointed....why ...because he was a professional footballer himself and knew that the truth about the life changing amounts of money available to Taylor if he signed for NF.

The major reason amongst many lesser ones why we got relegated was the run of 10 games just before Xmas into New Year with 14 first team squad injured. From hazy memory I think we only won one game in that run, even if it was more it was a very poor run of form over a vital period.

The bitterness on this forum towards Taylor seems to me so extreme that many here would prefer to wallow in L1 than get out of it with the aid of his talent.

I'm not in that camp at all. If he could help us into the Championship I'd grab the chance. The contract would have to incentivise him to play and score. The qualities he has -particularly to hold the ball up- none of the current squad can match. Leaburn and Aneke could learn a lot from him. May is an outstanding finisher and good in build up play- holding the ball up- well less said the better.   I agree that May will outscore Taylor in any season, but Taylor can help us win matches in a way May can't. All Mays chasing around closing down has yet to result in anything(of course I hope it will eventually).

There's a lot of expertise on this forum and some of you may know the names of up and coming talent we could sign to replace an exit of Leaburn (or ? May) in  Jan 24, or a diagnosis that Chuks will never recover from. I don't, but I do know that the skills and talent of Lyle Taylor could fit the bill and our budget. Do you honestly think that the Americans would put more money in in Jan? They are funding us about £8million/pa already.

Yes there are unknowns- fitness, sharpness, motivation. But look at the signings made recently in Andy Scotts tenure- Penney/KilKenny/ Abankwah/? Tedic/ . Remember we signed Omar Bogle a few seasons ago. ie we were(and still are) in the bargain basement.

I  think Taylor would be a good signing. There are always risks, mostly these are known with Taylor. What is more unknown of other players is their abilities. I think we can be more confident about this with Taylor.

So lets have some names of better strikers - and remember they have to be free

A 'like' from me as it's a well written and passionate post ( though I have no opinion either way on the subject and no answers to the question posed!)
  • No doubt some club will take a chance when desperation creeps in but the odds are that he is not the same player. I realise that he has been a bit part player but twelve goals in 71 appearances over three years tells me that he is on the decline.