Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lyle Taylor - signed for Cambridge (p268)

Comments

• Options
    Wycombe, eh?
    Another team to boo now on Final Score then.

• Options
    edited November 2023
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    As as been stated by others the single person that was most damaged by L Taylor was Lee Bowyer and his managerial career, as surviving that first season in the Championship would have been a major achievement. From what I heard on radio etc he never criticised  Taylor altho he was disappointed....why ...because he was a professional footballer himself and knew that the truth about the life changing amounts of money available to Taylor if he signed for NF.

The major reason amongst many lesser ones why we got relegated was the run of 10 games just before Xmas into New Year with 14 first team squad injured. From hazy memory I think we only won one game in that run, even if it was more it was a very poor run of form over a vital period.

The bitterness on this forum towards Taylor seems to me so extreme that many here would prefer to wallow in L1 than get out of it with the aid of his talent.

I'm not in that camp at all. If he could help us into the Championship I'd grab the chance. The contract would have to incentivise him to play and score. The qualities he has -particularly to hold the ball up- none of the current squad can match. Leaburn and Aneke could learn a lot from him. May is an outstanding finisher and good in build up play- holding the ball up- well less said the better.   I agree that May will outscore Taylor in any season, but Taylor can help us win matches in a way May can't. All Mays chasing around closing down has yet to result in anything(of course I hope it will eventually).

There's a lot of expertise on this forum and some of you may know the names of up and coming talent we could sign to replace an exit of Leaburn (or ? May) in  Jan 24, or a diagnosis that Chuks will never recover from. I don't, but I do know that the skills and talent of Lyle Taylor could fit the bill and our budget. Do you honestly think that the Americans would put more money in in Jan? They are funding us about £8million/pa already.

Yes there are unknowns- fitness, sharpness, motivation. But look at the signings made recently in Andy Scotts tenure- Penney/KilKenny/ Abankwah/? Tedic/ . Remember we signed Omar Bogle a few seasons ago. ie we were(and still are) in the bargain basement.

I  think Taylor would be a good signing. There are always risks, mostly these are known with Taylor. What is more unknown of other players is their abilities. I think we can be more confident about this with Taylor.

So lets have some names of better strikers - and remember they have to be free

Alfie May and Miles Leaburn are doing just fine.
    We lost to Bolton/Peterborough/ and others
    And you think that’s down to the likes of May who has scored 12 goals in 15 games?
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    As as been stated by others the single person that was most damaged by L Taylor was Lee Bowyer and his managerial career, as surviving that first season in the Championship would have been a major achievement. From what I heard on radio etc he never criticised  Taylor altho he was disappointed....why ...because he was a professional footballer himself and knew that the truth about the life changing amounts of money available to Taylor if he signed for NF.

The major reason amongst many lesser ones why we got relegated was the run of 10 games just before Xmas into New Year with 14 first team squad injured. From hazy memory I think we only won one game in that run, even if it was more it was a very poor run of form over a vital period.

The bitterness on this forum towards Taylor seems to me so extreme that many here would prefer to wallow in L1 than get out of it with the aid of his talent.

I'm not in that camp at all. If he could help us into the Championship I'd grab the chance. The contract would have to incentivise him to play and score. The qualities he has -particularly to hold the ball up- none of the current squad can match. Leaburn and Aneke could learn a lot from him. May is an outstanding finisher and good in build up play- holding the ball up- well less said the better.   I agree that May will outscore Taylor in any season, but Taylor can help us win matches in a way May can't. All Mays chasing around closing down has yet to result in anything(of course I hope it will eventually).

There's a lot of expertise on this forum and some of you may know the names of up and coming talent we could sign to replace an exit of Leaburn (or ? May) in  Jan 24, or a diagnosis that Chuks will never recover from. I don't, but I do know that the skills and talent of Lyle Taylor could fit the bill and our budget. Do you honestly think that the Americans would put more money in in Jan? They are funding us about £8million/pa already.

Yes there are unknowns- fitness, sharpness, motivation. But look at the signings made recently in Andy Scotts tenure- Penney/KilKenny/ Abankwah/? Tedic/ . Remember we signed Omar Bogle a few seasons ago. ie we were(and still are) in the bargain basement.

I  think Taylor would be a good signing. There are always risks, mostly these are known with Taylor. What is more unknown of other players is their abilities. I think we can be more confident about this with Taylor.

So lets have some names of better strikers - and remember they have to be free

Alfie May and Miles Leaburn are doing just fine.
    We lost to Bolton/Peterborough/ and others
    And you think that’s down to the likes of May who has scored 12 goals in 15 games?
    1-0 Peterborough won
    0-2 Bolton won

We didn't score in either. My point is it takes team effort to beat these teams. Including strikers capable of doing a shift.
    The danger of this season is we have one of the highest scoring strikers in the League, maybe highest scoring team but don't get in to the playoffs. Because we don't defend, AS A Team. some are incapable of it. LT has those capabilities.He is a different range of skills that would have helped us. But he'll be helping Wycombe by all accounts.
    Payne started against P'boro, that's how far back that was... 

Leaburn didn't start either that or the Bolton game. 

Games he has started against good teams:

2-2 draw against unbeaten Portsmouth
    3-2 win away to Wigan

Anyway, in previous seasons we haven't missed the play-offs because of our games against the top six, we've missed out because we've floundered in the big batches of so-called easier games. 

Ho hum, it's over now and he's gone to Wycombe. He could score a hat trick on his debut and I'll still be grateful he's not here. Not that he was ever coming!
  • Options
    Bet Taylor will be loving it that we are STILL taking about him, the bloke is like a bad smell that just keeps wafting into this forum, and now it's Wycombe apparently, just sod off Taylor ffs
  • Options
    12 goals in the 71 league games since he left us says it all.
  • Options
    Twat’s gonna nick 6th place off us for Wycombe last game of the season with a last minute penalty or do it for them at Wembley against us 

• Options
    Its alright, he wont be playing in the last game of the season as he'll be too afraid he'll get injured and wreck his chance of a big money move in the summer.

Or doesn't it work like that....eh Mr Taylor ?
  • Options
    Boo, I was enjoying nobody wanting him.

Good luck with all the shenanigans and attentions seeking Wycombe fans. He'll get pictures and pretend to be the kids best mate to kick-start the need for love.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Its alright, he wont be playing in the last game of the season as he'll be too afraid he'll get injured and wreck his chance of a big money move in the summer.

Or doesn't it work like that....eh Mr Taylor ?
    It might be a justifiable worry - always a chance I’ll leap down from the North Upper and deck him. Just kidding…especially as it’s an away match 🤣
  • Options

Striker Firmani- your comments "re standard L2 players" our team has a lot of those in the first team squad, this is the recruitment record so far of Andy Scott. Bogles in defence and midfield-(and stand -in keepers).
    League 2 standard players we had in abundance brought in under Ben Garner/Sandgaard and to be fair Scott has bombed most of those out. 

However I accept your point that Scott has also brought in to the club players not up to standard of a club supposedly aiming for promotion.  Although Alfie May I imagine was sanctioned by the new incumbents (No idea if Scott would have been consulted at the time by them.) and you would hope that Appleton has enough savvy to identify a striker who will fit in, if indeed he feels he needs another.  I think we would all agree that any signings January should be to help stop leaking goals.    
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @KingKinsella  If Appleton feels we need another striker to hold the ball up. I am sure there is a player we could recruit for that role who is more likely to have better longevity than Taylor and who isn't going to split the fan base, in a way that Taylor coming in would have.         
  • Options
    He will plague us. You can just it.
  • Options
    Making his debut today for Wycombe in the EFL Trophy, against AFC Wimbledon.
  • Options
    Is there a reason why he isn't on international duty?
  • Options
    Is there a reason why he isn't on international duty?
    He got sent off recently for Montserrat, possibly still on a ban. 
  • Options
    Substituted after 45 mins. Guessing due to
    match fitness but also hoping he was shit!
  • Options
    Stop the speculation

He will never play for our team again

• Options
    edited November 2023
    Just popped on the Wigan forum and quite a few are not happy they signed him given what he did to us. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kap10 said:
    i'm honestly astonished we are even discussing this guy still when we have Alfie May. Imagine pulling Cindy Crawford and pining after Lindsay Lohan 
    Lindsay could be back up!
    What like on the bench for when Cindy starts slacking  :D
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Subbed at half time today
    It’s like that when you start big school, he might stay on til second playtime/milk break in the next game….?
  • Options
    Oh the irony.

“It’s really difficult to put into words exactly what it means,” he told Wycombe’s YouTube channel.

“It was such a weird feeling getting ready to play a game".

• Options
    I loved Lyle Taylor and Cindy Crawford.

Is that wrong?
  • Options
    I loved Lyle Taylor and Cindy Crawford.

Is that wrong?
    We don't judge here. Who are we to question anyone's sexuality?