Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lyle Taylor - signed for Cambridge (p268)

Comments

• It already seems that we're going to see a more business-like approach to running the club. I'm pretty sure that, like evry owner we've ever had, they're going to make some decisions that are unpopular with the fans but let's hope they are outweighed by ones that please us.

• A player who hit the best form of his life once he signed for us. Bowyer and his team have bought the best out of him, another club might not do the same. The player we signed used to throw himself to the ground at every opportunity, this Lyle Taylor is a better player. Stick with Bowyer Lyle, everyone else is.
  • Taylor knows the score re agents ,contracts etc etc. He was always going to see what his wage worth is in the market .He knows he is a free agent in the summer when he can get a good signing in fee.
    ESI came in offered him X why would he not sound out the market ?

So the club either takes £3/4 million now or nothing in the summer.

Murry or Gale even as loans would cost us more than £20K a week possibly double that.

We need a striker in this week and a contingency for Taylors replacement

• As much as no player is bigger than the club... I really dont want him to leave, Lyle is such a key player for us for the remaining of the season. 
  • shine166 said:
    End of the day you cant have one player on 30k a week and everyone else on 6k 
    You pay people their worth. We're half the side without him in the team. 

Want his money?  Then start contributing what he does when fit.

Selling a prolific and proven goalscorer (and everything else he brings) without a cast iron replacement is not good. 

Kermorgant sale mk2.

We're not man United or Barcelona who can tell star players to jog on if they ask for too much as they'll be world class players ready to fill their boots. Decent proven goalscorers looking to join a club in our position are rare as hens' teeth and no guarantee they'll click if at Charlton even if they've done the business elsewhere.

Will be bad business if he goes. Pay him what he is worth and keep him happy and when fully fit he'll be banging them in again and moving us up the table.

If you want to be competitive at this level you need to spend substantially on key players as quality is one of the key requirements to progress and retain and attract players who will facilitate that progression. 

No mystery that in general the better spending teams generally perform better in the leagues. No escaping that reality as unromantic as it is.

Oh and anyone not a 15 year old girl who pays any mind to what footballers or others say on twitter needs to have a long hard look at themselves:-)
    Totally this. If he really wants out , there is no reason to keep him, but to get the level of goalscoring he provides (and let's not forget his cobtributions all over the pitch) is very very difficult - and any striker scoring that sort of number of goals will want a big salary, plus signing on fee and whatever we have to pay the parent club. 
    The number of people complaining of his attitude when he is coming back from injury is also odd. Bear in mind for every Lyle Taylor we sign there are always a couple of strikers like Simon Church. And finally, as Trotta says, if any of the players are envious of his contract, they should try to match his ability. But hey ho, he said things some people didn't like on Twitter, so lets sell him and get Toney in. Assuming he wants to come.
  • will will hold fire on what I think, until we see what his replacement is likely to be. Will it be the the Yann or the next SImon Church.. ? If it’s church we are getting relegated. 
  • I don’t think we have missed Taylor anymore than we have other injured players.

if he had signed then great but I won’t be losing any sleep if he leaves either now or in the summer.

we need to sign a striker this month regardless.
  • Sponsored links:

• From the outside I think it’s daft selling him. Best striker we’ve had since Yann.
    But if his head has been turned by the Brentford offer then it’s probably best for all that he goes.
    That’s if anyone is interested now. 
  • The amount of passive aggressive “see ya” or “cheerio Lyle” type messages in response to this demonstrate that really, deep down, very few of us want him to leave.
  • edited January 2020
    Lyles tantrum for not getting his life changing move to Brentford and subsequent lack of effort in our early season matches prove he’s a waste of time , move him on 
    What "lack of effort in our early season matches" was that then? 
    Agreed. I thought he put a load of effort into those games (probably why he got injured). He scored at Blackburn, scored v Stoke on the first home match, scored at Barnsley, scored v Forest, scored at Reading....and that was all in August. 
  • Needless to say we're stronger with him fit and willing; he brings a lot more than just the goals. If, as seems likely, he goes, then I tend to agree with the "not bigger than the club" argument. And unless his goals carry his new team to promotion he's unlikely to gain the status he thrives on here any time soon. 

What will really help us gauge ESI's outlook is the size of any fee and what's done with it. As things stand they've only stated that they'll listen to offers - hopefully they'll evaluate those offers and judge them against what Taylor can do over a few more months (if fit). If we were comfortable in mid-table the planning ahead would be a lot easier but the battle to stay up might sway decisions a little more towards the short term.
  • Lyles tantrum for not getting his life changing move to Brentford and subsequent lack of effort in our early season matches prove he’s a waste of time , move him on 
    What "lack of effort in our early season matches" was that then? 
    I think you might qualify for a whoosh. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd be disappointed to lose Lyle AND personally still feel that it would make sense to not sell him in January unless there's a seriously high bid. If he goes for nothing in the summer, well we signed him for nothing as well.

I can't argue though with trying to keep some control on wages, as otherwise there's a danger that every player and every agent see our new "minted" owners and start pushing for massive pay rises. I'm sure the ESI offer for Lyle was very generous and a major increase on Roland's offer, however if there are clubs out there with a serious chance of promotion who can offer more, that's the reality of football.
  • anyone who thinks we are stronger without him  are saying this on impulse rather than thinking it through! Scored and created over 40 goals in 50 games. Unless we have two good replacements lined up, we need to be doing everything possible to keep him. 
  • edited January 2020
    James86 said:
    Lyle is definitely replaceable. Annoyed. Yes. But no where near as much as I was when Yann went. 
    I don’t think he’s ‘definitely’ replaceable. IMO it’ll be massively difficult to find a player as talismanic and hard working who unites players and fans and above all, has scored 32 goals in 58 games (better than 1 in 2) with a shed load of assists. 

And this definite replacement has to settle in from day one and score the goals to keep us up in our debut season back in the Championship.

No way is he ‘definitely’ replaceable. Massive gamble but as I say, if he’s not feeling it then best he goes. 

• Have we broke the SLP?
    I've not managed to read the article from links posted.
    Went on the SLP website and its all down.
  • Have we broke the SLP?
    I've not managed to read the article from links posted.
    Went on the SLP website and its all down.
    Rich Cawley keeps mentioning the site being broken today.
  • It’s alright saying he’s replaceable but you have to line up a replacement first, if we miss out on Ivan Toney then what? Surely from a business point of view you’re better off just paying Lyle as much as he wants being a proven quality Championship striker
  • He will join Aribo at Rangers 
    Agree, I felt if he turned down an offer, he would see Rangers as a great last move.
    If Aribo accepted 20k,  as a striker Lyle would I imagine be worth 25k.
    If the figure of 18k is correct then your agent would advise you to turn down the offer and Taylor said less than a year ago he wanted a crack at Premier football when advising Grant on the Huddersfield offer.
    I know he meant English premier but the chance of Euro football would be immense for Lyle.
    Taylor know most defenders in Scottish Premier are League 1 standard except for Celtic who have a couple of English premier defenders but mainly Championship standard defenders. 

Gerrard and Rooney, stayed at Liverpool and United, not out of Loyalty but because they were both given massive pay rises. (Example of how loyalty works in reality)

When Roland wouldn't go above 13k for Yann, a respected Journalist said the main striker at Millwall was on 19k and Kermorgant was aware of that.

I would rather Lyle went at the end of season on a free and Charlton finish 16th in the Championship but if he is going to receive vilification from the uneducated who seriously thought Lyle or agent wouldn't even reply to an offer from ESI, then I wonder if it wouldn't be advantageous for our best Talismanic striker since Yann to move on now. 

• Under Roland this would be catastrophic news no two ways about it.  With this lot we don’t know what they are willing to spend on wages etc.  But we know it’s a lot better than Roland so trust the process.

I can’t see where he will go though!  Had a look at the top champ sides and bottom prem sides, only Leeds or Villa would need him IMO, the others have all got strikers firing and reasonable back up for their main men.  Unless he heads back to Scotland with Rangers or Celtic.