Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lyle Taylor - signed for Cambridge (p268)

Comments

• MS "Lyle is not for sale, even if he doesn’t sign a new deal he’s here until the end of the season." 

boom
    Cue Taylor sending cryptic messages on twitter and then being injured until May. 

You seen his instagram post from 2mins ago?

Rather odd... just a little moonwalking dog? about as cryptic as it can get.

Happy that Bowyer has been offered a five year deal?
  • MS "Lyle is not for sale, even if he doesn’t sign a new deal he’s here until the end of the season." 

boom
    Cue Taylor sending cryptic messages on twitter and then being injured until May. 

Honestly not sure what to make of it at all.

The fact it was posted straight after the press conference tells me its related, but maybe I'm getting the wrong end of the stick.

boom

Honestly not sure what to make of it at all.

The fact it was posted straight after the press conference tells me its related, but maybe I'm getting the wrong end of the stick.

Maybe everything, maybe nothing. But I'm certain the ink no longer has a stink as the sheikhing must be getting it flowing.
  • I'm tired. Tired of countless threads of no update!
  • Lyle has a bit of a dilemma. If he doesn’t sign a new contract and IF no acceptable offer comes in for him, he will be stuck at Charlton for the remainder of the season on current wages. That’s a big hit for him to take with no certainty as to what offers he may receive when he is a free agent. 
  • Lyle has a bit of a dilemma. If he doesn’t sign a new contract and IF no acceptable offer comes in for him, he will be stuck at Charlton for the remainder of the season on current wages. That’s a big hit for him to take with no certainty as to what offers he may receive when he is a free agent. 
    Pretty sure he'll be okay
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2020
    I was discussing the logistics of costs etc with a friend today. MS has been quite clever with his words. No his not for sale, unless something mouthwatering comes in, I take that as a bid of 5m all more, for a player with 6 months on his deal, however I'd hope that number was closer to 10m as losing lyle could be the difference between staying up or going down, anything less does not make any kind of sense.

Then What would it cost us to find another Lyle Taylor? Bare in mind the 13m price tag Peterborough have put on Toney, so 20k even 25k a week on a 2 year extension works out to between £2m and 2.6m over 2 years, throw in a 200k sign on fee, cover ourselves with a relegation release clause should things got tits up and we go down of say 4m, were covered and still walk away with a profit in a worse case scenario.

Matt if you need me I'm here all night 😁#BusinessMadeEasy

boom

I just came on here to say... 

I don't think we can take Lyle's actions as anything negative on the club. Lyle is frankly a bit odd. He is fantastic striker and talisman but he has a curious personality. 

Not that he needs to be normal. Clive Mendonca was famously odd as well.
  • Chunes said:
    MS "Lyle is not for sale, even if he doesn’t sign a new deal he’s here until the end of the season." 

boom

I don't think we can take Lyle's actions as anything negative on the club. Lyle is frankly a bit odd. He is fantastic striker and talisman but he has a curious personality. 

How was Clive odd ? He struck me as a normal working class Sunderland lad . 
  • His excellency has posted that he was with Steven Gerrard today.

Lyle to Rangers confirmed.
  • His excellency has posted that he was with Steven Gerrard today.

Lyle to Rangers confirmed.
    And he called him Steven Grade lol
  • And therein lies the problem - Lyle's agent has heard other players get bonus vitriol included in their contract riders and is demanding some for his boy as well. 
  • Reminds me in some ways of the Kermogant episode. (Though I think Yann was a better player, and RD should have kept him).

Taylor's agent presumably upped his clients demands when it became known the new owners were based in Abu Dhabi and the club too the view instead that Taylor wasn't good enough to be given exceptional treatment.

I wonder of they saw this coming? The attempt to sign Armand Gnanduillet last summer might have been as a long stop for when Taylor left, because otherwise why would you replace one with the other? AG isn't IMO a shoe in for a side looking to finish in the upper levels of the Championship.
  • cafcfan said:
    And therein lies the problem - Lyle's agent has heard other players get bonus vitriol included in their contract riders and is demanding some for his boy as well. 
    What is bonus vitriol? 

An angry, spiteful and vindictive argument with cutting invective and spittle at the corners of the mouth? Seems like an odd request in a contract to me. 
  • Sponsored links:

• He needs to be kept until the end of the season unless we get a silly offer. Lots of time for him to change his mind. 
  • cafcfan said:
    And therein lies the problem - Lyle's agent has heard other players get bonus vitriol included in their contract riders and is demanding some for his boy as well. 
    What is bonus vitriol? 

An angry, spiteful and vindictive argument with cutting invective and spittle at the corners of the mouth? Seems like an odd request in a contract to me. 
    It was my attempt at a joke. Cawley said he didn't deserve vitriol. I thought it would be amusing to suggest that a footballer's agent might not understand the word and assume his player was missing out on something good.  Clearly my odd sense of humour is set to fail mode again.
  • cafcfan said:
    cafcfan said:
    What is bonus vitriol? 

It was my attempt at a joke. Cawley said he didn't deserve vitriol. I thought it would be amusing to suggest that a footballer's agent might not understand the word and assume his player was missing out on something good.  Clearly my odd sense of humour is set to fail mode again.
    No need for the self-deprecation @cafcfan - vitriol is one of my favourite words and to ally it with bonus was a stoke of genius. For those of a certain age - well Captain Beefheart was a past master of the art of bringing two unrelated words together and running with them -- fast and bulbous for example.

I guess we should get back on topic however - any news Lyle?
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    MS "Lyle is not for sale, even if he doesn’t sign a new deal he’s here until the end of the season." 

boom

There were a few stories. But the one that stuck out was Alan Curbishley driving him from Sunderland back to the Valley. Spoke to him the whole way. Clive never spoke back, except once, when he was looking out the window as they passed a restaurant: "Oh, you've got Little Chef down here."
    TBH if I was in a car with Curbs I wouldn't say anything unless he specifically told me to.
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

boom

There were a few stories. But the one that stuck out was Alan Curbishley driving him from Sunderland back to the Valley. Spoke to him the whole way. Clive never spoke back, except once, when he was looking out the window as they passed a restaurant: "Oh, you've got Little Chef down here."
    Mendonca knew fine dining when he saw it.
  • cafcfan said:
    What is bonus vitriol? 

Our new half African half South American signing. 
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

boom

I thought the story was that Clive was quiet all the way down from Sunderland until they got close to E London & upon seeing a sign for Chigwell he said...."my missus loves birds of a feather"......

Or something close to that. Remember Curbs telling that "tale" at a Bromley supporters meeting one time 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Charlton wouldn't be in the Championship without Lyle Taylor.

Equally Lyle Taylor would unlikely be in the Championship without Lee Bowyer
    Pretty sure he'd have been the difference for Sunderland...
    If Taylor had signed for them instead of us, Sunderland would've easily won league one last season.
  • FFS offer Lyle a bit more and get him signed up he is our main hope of keeping in championship,if these new owners mean business lyle along with the manager and staff should of been signed up by now,this was a priority for me,Im disappointed this hasnt happened
    I don’t think we can operate like that In the current situation.  If we offer Taylor a bit more and he turns that down, do we offer him a bit more again? Matt Southall spoke about sustainability. Not sure it’s prudent to keep making players offers when we know he has turned down a good offer already - the maximum we want to go to.
    In the grand scheme of things, we are currently a struggling Championship side with crowds of circa 17k. We could quite easily go down and have a 30 year old striker on 18k+ a week on our hands.  Sunderland did that and look where they are now. It’s taken them a couple of years to clear out players on mega contracts - this is a team that get gates of 40k. 
    Taylor is doing what he should be doing - trying to get as much money as he can at the back end of his career. Say we did give him what he wanted - then what? - Players knocking at the door asking for more money. The owners can’t be seen to be rolling over and having there belly tickled. 
    I want Taylor to stay - he’s our main goal scorer and talisman....So were Hales, Bent, Mendonca, Hunt, Kermorgant etc, etc. They moved on and we moved on. Taylor will move on and somebody else will come in and be the main man. 
    The offer made to Taylor is off the table now and I actually quite like the fact that Southall had the balls to withdraw the offer and not be held to ransom. 

Superb post. It'd also have a knock on effect to new signings too. If we give Taylor 18k a week then a new signing coming in with more experience at a higher level than Taylor says he wants 20k and it quickly gets out of control.