Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lyle Taylor - signed for Cambridge (p268)

Comments

• I don’t think he will sign a deal but advertise himself between now and the end of the season, which benefits us.

When he’s a free agent he’s free to speak to who he likes and see what deal he can get etc.  He hasn’t had a fruitful career until the last few years so he will require a big contract as he approaches his 30s.
  • edited January 2020
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    mascot88 said:
    He is so good, that cross almost won us the game... the vision and way he strikes the ball similar to Wembley... He will be the difference and will keep us up, he DESERVES a pay rise and to be paid what he is worth in this division. 

Captain would be a lovely tip of the hat too. 

For me Taylor is the ethos of Bowyer's Charlton on the pitch.

Madness to even consider letting him leave.
    I think very few would be happy to let him leave, but we may not have a choice. 
    We have got a choice we can either up the offer previously on the table or turn down any offer which is not above the Chairman's 'silly' (on the high side) valuation.
    I meant in the summer. Definite madness to let him go for less than 6-7 million now. 

I dont know what the contract offer is. But if most of our players are going to be on circa 8k then we really can’t afford to offer more than double that. 
    Ok but I never said double it but Bowyer said last night he hopes he can get him to reconsider on the back of his own 3.5 year deal so you agree we do have a choice now then? 😉
    Of course Bowyer is going to say that. He will want him to stay. I said we may not have a choice which is evidently clear. What if Taylor gets an offer from a Prem club in the summer? It’s in our hands to reject a bid now but it’s not in the summer. We need to do everything in our power to keep him but ultimately it might not be enough. 
    Hang on you said on another thread at roughly the same time something like 'let's not worry about our striker options in the summer' so why would I assume that's what you were talking  about here. We are clearly talking at cross purposes and it's the here and now where we do have a choice and that's what is evidentially clear to me.
  • If we don’t offer an improved contract now and also turn down every transfer offer that comes from elsewhere, then we’d have Taylor for rest of the season at current wage. Is that possibly the plan of ESI? And then they’ll be in a position to replace him properly in the summer outside of January madness. 
  • RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    mascot88 said:
    He is so good, that cross almost won us the game... the vision and way he strikes the ball similar to Wembley... He will be the difference and will keep us up, he DESERVES a pay rise and to be paid what he is worth in this division. 

We have got a choice we can either up the offer previously on the table or turn down any offer which is not above the Chairman's 'silly' (on the high side) valuation.
    I meant in the summer. Definite madness to let him go for less than 6-7 million now. 

I dont know what the contract offer is. But if most of our players are going to be on circa 8k then we really can’t afford to offer more than double that. 
    Ok but I never said double it but Bowyer said last night he hopes he can get him to reconsider on the back of his own 3.5 year deal so you agree we do have a choice now then? 😉
    Of course Bowyer is going to say that. He will want him to stay. I said we may not have a choice which is evidently clear. What if Taylor gets an offer from a Prem club in the summer? It’s in our hands to reject a bid now but it’s not in the summer. We need to do everything in our power to keep him but ultimately it might not be enough. 
    Hang on you said on another thread at roughly the same time something like 'let's not worry about our striker options in the summer' so why would I assume that's what you were talking  about here. We are clearly talking at cross purposes and it's the here and now where we do have a choice and that's what is evidentially clear to me.
    I think you are having me confused with someone else. The summer is a completely different thing altogether. The priority has to be staying up. Personally I thought what I was saying about keeping Taylor was quite clear, maybe I was wrong. 

A lot of fans assume it comes down to money but if Taylor gets a Prem offer then we might stand little chance of keeping up. 
  • If we don’t offer an improved contract now and also turn down every transfer offer that comes from elsewhere, then we’d have Taylor for rest of the season at current wage. Is that possibly the plan of ESI? And then they’ll be in a position to replace him properly in the summer outside of January madness. 
    Maybe but we should still give it a good shot at keeping him. Even in the summer it’s not going to be easy, would probably cost millions. 
  • edited January 2020
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    mascot88 said:

I think you are having me confused with someone else. The summer is a completely different thing altogether. The priority has to be staying up. Personally I thought what I was saying about keeping Taylor was quite clear, maybe I was wrong. 

A lot of fans assume it comes down to money but if Taylor gets a Prem offer then we might stand little chance of keeping up. 
    Actually it was Shine who said it but you agreed with it here you go;

cafcfan1990 
    shine166 said:
    Let’s worry about the summer once this season has finished. 
    Exactly.
  • edited January 2020
    If we don’t offer an improved contract now and also turn down every transfer offer that comes from elsewhere, then we’d have Taylor for rest of the season at current wage. Is that possibly the plan of ESI? And then they’ll be in a position to replace him properly in the summer outside of January madness. 

That could well be the scenario that unfolds but replacing the talents of Taylor, when he's not only been the top scorer, penalty king, and best assists but the best wide man  when he charges down the wing will be neigh on impossible.

• Sponsored links:

• RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    mascot88 said:

Actually it was Shine who said it but you agreed with it here you go;

cafcfan1990 
    shine166 said:
    Let’s worry about the summer once this season has finished. 
    Exactly.
    You are taking it out of context though. Yes we shouldn’t be worrying too much about next seasons squad now because we are in a relegation battle. Of course you have to keep it in mind but it’s like worrying about replacing Cullen, it’s not something that concerns us right now. 

Regarding Taylor, it’s the same. If we stand little chance of keeping Taylor let’s worry about that in 4/5 months time. He will be crucial to us over the next 20 matches. 
  • Work on the summer will start on 1 February.

Avory, Euell, Bowyer and Gallen will look at the current U18, U23 and 1st team squad to see what we already have and from that what we need.

Gallen will start drawing up a list of players.

Well, at least that is what I hope and expect will happen.
    Ah yeah definitely but shouldn’t start stressing too much. We also need to concentrate on the pitch. Not easy to plan next season without knowing which division you are going to be in. 
  • Lyle is leader of the shithouse brigade.
  • Work on the summer will start on 1 February.

Avory, Euell, Bowyer and Gallen will look at the current U18, U23 and 1st team squad to see what we already have and from that what we need.

Gallen will start drawing up a list of players.

Well, at least that is what I hope and expect will happen.
    Ah yeah definitely but shouldn’t start stressing too much. We also need to concentrate on the pitch. Not easy to plan next season without knowing which division you are going to be in. 
    That’s easy, Championship. 
  • Even if he happy with the deal, ESI’s build slowly plan may not be ambitious enough for him?
  • I thought that hector was man of the match.but Hemed  put in a great shift and made him work for it. but you could see the difference when Taylor came on did trouble him more with his physical strength 
    I did warn people pre game about Hector lol
  • edited January 2020
    https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-keen-to-hold-talks-with-lyle-taylor-next-week/

I don’t know. I’ll have to speak to Lyle – he’s said a little joke in the dressing room after the game
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:
    CAFCDAZ said:
    I thought that hector was man of the match.but Hemed  put in a great shift and made him work for it. but you could see the difference when Taylor came on did trouble him more with his physical strength 
    We must have been watching a different game, hemeds movement, awareness, lack of hold up play the list goes on leave me wondering what player QPR loaned last season, as this one seems pony. Davison causes more havoc and has a better all round game then him and the kid was playing for enfield town not long ago. 
    Hemed worked his nuts off against arguably one of the best centre backs in this league. He constantly chased, harried and did his best to break their movement and when he was supported by at least one other, it tended to work. He wasn't supported often enough last night and his jumps for headers could have been timed better, but he was far from "pony"
    Dazzler honestly i wish i see the same, he started running and chasing down and i honestly thought, "here's the tomer we seen at QPR" that faded quite fast imo, the amount of headers he didnt win went into double figures, when the ball was played into him to hold up, he hit the deck looking for a foul, When the ball was played up, he was on the other side of the pitch. trust me i want to like him, i want him to bang them in, i just don't see the effort from him that i do from a 20 year old boy with under 10 senior appearances for a professional football team. This is a man that has played PL and La Liga games, positionally he played like he was the one playing for enfield town in august. i'd expect way more than he is offering, i can't imagine his wages are low (although subsidised by Brighton no doubt) and for the effort we have had in return, i just don't feel we are getting 80% of what we should be getting. 

We can say but he had shit service, he was up on his own, so was Bonne, So was Davison but they put in more a shift then he did.

Hector and Ream are solid, but Bonne in the Away game was twice as effective against them then he was. Bonne hasn't played PL and La Liga Football. 

i hope he goes on to grab 10 goals between now and the end of the season, but i honestly think once we have a fully fit team, he will play little to no part and we will be saying c'est la vie in June.
  • CAFCDAZ said:
    I thought that hector was man of the match.but Hemed  put in a great shift and made him work for it. but you could see the difference when Taylor came on did trouble him more with his physical strength 
    We must have been watching a different game, hemeds movement, awareness, lack of hold up play the list goes on leave me wondering what player QPR loaned last season, as this one seems pony. Davison causes more havoc and has a better all round game then him and the kid was playing for enfield town not long ago. 
    Funny how we see a game differently , I thought Hemed had his best game so far , up front and isolated with no service , he put in a good shift. Shame for him when the more creative players came on he went off 
    true, i thought he had maybe 2 5 minute spells in the game where he looked a decent player giving his all. the first 5 and the 5 before he came off and nearly got a pen. aside from that he was a passenger, he was chasing and closing down the way our other forwards do imo
    That's what we did with Bauer and that's why he left us as soon as he was free to do so.
  • With Taylor we should just stump up what we were willing to pay for Gnanduillet and Clarke-Harris, they're still gambles Lyle isn't. Well worth the wages. If it's not wages and he wants to just play at a bigger club then there is nothing we can do I guess 
  • https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-keen-to-hold-talks-with-lyle-taylor-next-week/

I don’t know. I’ll have to speak to Lyle – he’s said a little joke in the dressing room after the game
    Love the comment left at the end saying that “Luke”should go to Bristol as he would love it there 😀
  • https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-keen-to-hold-talks-with-lyle-taylor-next-week/

Love the comment left at the end saying that “Luke”should go to Bristol as he would love it there 😀
    Oh bless - "loads going on there" - nothing happening in that London though...   
  • My take for what’s its worth, I thought Lyle seemed very chilled tonight, went over to Lee at the start of the natch, with a great big smile on his face, seemed very relaxed, I’ve done a complete u turn on the evidence on show tonight, and don’t think he’ll be leaving us in January, cue a 2 million pound transfer tomorrow!
    Yep......with you there.
  • Lyle looked really cool and happy, smiling and joking with other subs, and in a good place ?

Now is that because:

A. He is leaving before February 1st and was thinking of the money ?
    B. He is leaving at the end of season and is happy to help keep Cafc in the championship and then have a Two year contract from a Championship club or a newly promoted premier club who are prepared to take a chance on Lyle and offer 25k to 30k ?

C. He has taken up Matt's offer and if he signs now he will not only get a decent wage increase but a bonus for goals, assists and a bonus to be paid if Cafc are still in Championship at the end of season.
    A loyalty bonus as well.

There are ways to keep players at a club despite the weekly wage being lower than other champ clubs. 
  • No idea what Lyle's goal bonus currently is, but i'd be looking to increase it significantly, if it helps get the deal over the line.