Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Tours 2018-19 (and everything off the field during that period)

Comments

• edited January 2019
    One of the strangest test matches I’ve ever seen.......in fact the strangest thinking about it.
    18 wickets fell yesterday and not one today.........so far that is.
    Can’t remember such an overwhelming thrashing, it’s quite bizarre, so much so that it goes into the scarcely believable locker......No rhyme or reason for it how so many things haven’t jelled.
    Everything they have done has gone right, everything we have done has gone wrong.....just wildly and inexplicably bizarre.
  • Holder gets his ton. Rashid knocked out of the attack

which means Anderson is now bowling again with a ball 76 odd overs old.
    Unbelievable Jeff.
    Is that right?
    he then took the new ball.

stokes is now bowling his 22nd over. rashid has only bowled 9 overs. Ali 15 and even root himself has done 8 overs.
  • One of the problems England now have is that Tests 1 and 2 are back-to-back, and the second starts next Thursday in Antigua. If they over bowl Jimmy and/or Stokes for this game then they are going to be buggered for the 2nd. OK Broad will come back, but there will be the mental scars from this.

One of the things that always happens with Englnad when this situation happens ie nothing happening in the pitch, they let the game meander, watching for a mistake rather than a Oz or Indian attitude of trying to blast a way through.But then again to do that you need the bowlers .
  • Broad AND Leach need to come in. Rashid has to go alas, and I'd bring in Broad for Jennings
  • Leuth said:

Broad AND Leach need to come in. Rashid has to go alas, and I'd bring in Broad for Jennings

What, bring back Chris Broad to open ?
  • Rashids match figures 0-116
  • Leuth said:

Broad AND Leach need to come in. Rashid has to go alas, and I'd bring in Broad for Jennings

We just got rolled for 77...
  • Leuth said:

We need a shorter batting order, better bowling, and more responsibility on the batsmen.

Burns
    Bairstow
    Root
    Stokes
    Buttler
    Foakes
    Ali
    Curran
    Broad
    Leach
    Anderson

Balance. Maybe a slight lack of batting, but who the hell else is there?
  • One of the things that i have noticed being spoken about is Woakes to open the batting instead of Jennings. As mad as it might sound, it might not be a bad temporary call. He has a good technique, and certainly cant do any worse than Jennings.

18 wickets yesterday, zero so far today.
  • Oh I quite like that, as mad ideas go!
  • Sponsored links:

• Broad would then come in for the stricken Curran.

Leach for Rashid is probably the most essential change aside from Broad's inclusion
  • edited January 2019
    well its a shot to nothing. might as well stick Woakes in there.
  • Rashid for Broad was a massive mistake.
    Who's idea was that
  • Rashid for Broad was a massive mistake.
    Who's idea was that

Definitely wasn't The _President :smile:
  • Can only assume that Root made the final call re Rashid.
  • Leuth said:

Leuth said:

We need a shorter batting order, better bowling, and more responsibility on the batsmen.

Burns
    Bairstow
    Root
    Stokes
    Buttler
    Foakes
    Ali
    Curran
    Broad
    Leach
    Anderson

Balance. Maybe a slight lack of batting, but who the hell else is there?
    5 of those batsmen are in the wrong position!

Stokes, Buttler and Foakes in particular are all way too high.
  • I really hope they don't revert to one spinner. That wasn't the error. Only three seamers was the error. Curran should bat at 8
  • Stuart Broad now...

• edited January 2019
    Or, Curran should be dropped - this game has cruelly exposed his limitations and he might need a game off for his own good

EDIT: there's no way they couldn't have picked Curran for the first game though, he's been so valuable
  • I get the feeling Curran might be in jeopardy for 2nd - his bowling, in these conditions, does look powder-puff.
  • Sponsored links:

• A doughty 70 in the second innings would spare Curran any worry of the axe
  • The batsman will fail again and we will just change 3 bowlers.
  • MrOneLung said:

The batsman will fail again and we will just change 3 bowlers.

Good point.
    Shows you the options we have with the batters.
  • To me Curran is the 5th bowler in a 5 man attack, unless conditions are really helpful for his swing bowling. Useful variety, and in helpful conditions will take wickets, but at the moment not fast and hostile enough to be a big threat overseas.

• edited January 2019
    Root is in real danger of over bowling Stokes here.
    To me, just let this test go - we've clearly lost it, think about the next one,especially as its so close, and rest Stokes and Jimmy and let Ali and Rashid bowl the rest.Its not going to make any big impact on the result.
  • Two spinners are great in plenty of countries.
    Not in the Windies
  • I'm assuming Holder is going to go for his 200 now and then declare.
  • I'm assuming Holder is going to go for his 200 now and then declare.

Hopefully they will bat all day tomorrow.
    Then it rains
  • One of the things that i have noticed being spoken about is Woakes to open the batting instead of Jennings. As mad as it might sound, it might not be a bad temporary call. He has a good technique, and certainly cant do any worse than Jennings.

18 wickets yesterday, zero so far today.

I don't rate Jennings myself, but he was our top scorer yesterday.

Just saying
  • It's about rubbing it in, giving the openers 10-15 overs to survive, then go again with a new ball tomorrow.