Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Tours 2018-19 (and everything off the field during that period)

Comments

• No idea. 
  • I actually think the penny has dropped and England think their best chance of winning test matches is with the batting line up of o1, o2, 3, Root, Buttler, Stokes, Bairstow and 4 bowlers.

Who o1, o2 and 3 are is anyone's guess but I think England actually look a better bowling attack, on paper, for this test and have an extra batsman. 

I don't agree with picking Jennings, don't think Denly is the long term answer at 3, but if they called anyone else up they would be months away from their last red ball knock.   As I said before they got the party wrong in the first place. 
  • Everyone calling for Roy like he isn't just Aaron Finch in blue pyjamas
  • Leuth said:
    Everyone calling for Roy like he isn't just Aaron Finch in blue pyjamas
    Huge fan of Jase as you all know but he is not the solution in the top 3 in test cricket. 
  • Leuth said:
    Huge fan of Jase as you all know but he is not the solution in the top 3 in test cricket. 
    Spot o as usual mate. 
    In county cricket Roy hardly ever features as an opening batsman for Surrey. 
    Although this coming season I do expect him to bat higher up the order .
    But until he opens on a regular basis he cannot be judged as an opening batsman in the longer version of the game. 
  • edited February 2019
    Leuth said:
    Spot o as usual mate. 
    In county cricket Roy hardly ever features as an opening batsman for Surrey. 
    Although this coming season I do expect him to bat higher up the order .
    But until he opens on a regular basis he cannot be judged as an opening batsman in the longer version of the game. 
    He batted 3 in the 2? Championship matches he played last year. Suspect he will do the same this year which he will do reasonably well in. 

But. 

To bat in the top 3 at test level he will have to significantly change his game which will run the risk of messing with/losing England's most destructive one day and T20 batsman. Big risk with no guarantee he will be any better than the likes of Hales and the host if others tried.
  • Jennings has been battered to death on here and there is no doubt that he shouldn't be anywhere near a Test side having  to face pace (he has been successful against spin).

But there are two questions that I really would like someone to answer:

(1) How does the son of a former international coach develop and not be able to resolve such obvious technical flaws?

(2) How do our selectors not recognise that he isn't good enough?

• He's from the right sort of family and is great to have around the squad or something.

This is like when Geraint Jones got that preposterous Ashes recall based on absolutely nothing except...well, Duncan Fletcher regarding him as some sort of long-lost son.
  • Stokes and Buttler gone in the first hour and Bairstow really trying hard to prove that no way is he a top 4 batsman. 
  • 44-4 so far today
  • Sponsored links:

• 277 all out. Last 6 wickets for for 45.
  • England might have enough tbh - Broad is the key for me 
  • John Campbell is a wild, wild batsman. I think Anderson and Broad must hate him more than any other man right now
  • Oh, got him haha!
  • Oh, not got him hahahaha
  • Anderson looks close to tears
  • England review one now!!
  • Oh no, run out of time. If this was out, this will be the funniest over ever
  • Calm down Leuth it's only a game 
  • Openers both fall to England's premier spin bowler :)

(It kind of is amazing how Moeen has always raised one part of his game to stay in the side - his bowling AND batting have rarely both been bad at the same time, last Ashes aside)
  • Sponsored links:

• Also, that shot from Brathwaite must be the worst shot he's played in his life. Captaining the side, England on the mat, he and Campbell looking very comfortable, and he goes and does that?!
  • Leuth said:
    Also, that shot from Brathwaite must be the worst shot he's played in his life. Captaining the side, England on the mat, he and Campbell looking very comfortable, and he goes and does that?!

How's stat?!

Andy Zaltzman

The Cricket Social statistician

Moeen Ali has taken 39 wickets in eight matches since being recalled against India last summer at an average of 23.

In the eight matches before he took seven wickets at 116.

• Maybe he really was bowling at Australia with a damaged finger...
  • Oh look, a bowler who bowls at over 83mph has taken less than an over to strike. Weird how England never thought of that until now!
  • Wood with wicket number 3.
    He should have played in all three tests in the Windies .
    He is genuinely quick unlike the rest of England's bowlers 
  • Wood now on a hatrick. 
    Missed a trick not playing him earlier 
  • Burns also on a hat-trick if you support Surrey ;)
  • Leuth said:
    Burns also on a hat-trick if you support Surrey ;)

• Now now  😁
  • 95mph from Wood!