Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Tours 2018-19 (and everything off the field during that period)

Comments

• Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    IMO, Chizz, you can't have your cake and eat it. 

If he gets runs then he plays in the Ashes. You can't drop someone who gets a big score. So "I have said I hope he does well.  I have also said I hope he's replaced before the Ashes." doesn't really work.

Because of that, I hope he doesn't get a big score in this match, which we will win anyway, because I believe that will hurt our chances in The Ashes, which is far more important than a dead rubber.

The Ireland game is inconsequential in my mind - it's not even 5 days ffs!
    I didn't want Kevin Lisbie in the Charlton team.  But I cheered, like everyone else, when he scored a hat-trick against Liverpool.  That's not a million miles away from my current position, which is wanting a better player to be found and chosen than Jennings, but wanting Jennings to score a lot of runs while he's in the team.  I am sorry if you think that's "having cake and eating it".  I disagree, of course.  I think wanting England to win, but for one player to suffer misfortune, is closer.  

I don't think making a second-innnings big score in this Test makes him a certainty for the Ashes, two Tests from now.  A lot can happen between now and the Ashes.  I don't think runs in St Lucia in February guarantee selection for Birmingham in August.  If the selectors were that wedded to run records, then Root wouldn't even be considered for the Ashes.  And we already know he will be tossing the coin on 1 August.  

Wanting a player to do badly is ludicrous, in my view.  And, as far as wanting him to fall foul of bad luck, as has been suggested, is beyond the pale.  
    Fair enough - I do respect the view point and can understand it. 

The difference with the Lisbie hat-trick is that it was vital to the outcome of the match. We would win this match if Jennings just said "I can't be bothered" and got on the next plane home.

To me, it seems more similar to a goalkeeper - you could never drop a goalkeeper who just kept a clean sheet. I can't see how Jennings could be dropped if he made a hundred. Is there a precedent for that, ever, in the history of the game? 

Using Root as an example doesn't really work - he's having a poor run of form, but we've seen consistently that he's good enough to be in the side so we wait for him to get back into nick. 

I do agree with the last sentence though - that is just spiteful because he's not done anything wrong other than not being very good at batting, so he doesn't deserve bad luck in a horrible sense. When Leuth said "I'd enjoy that" then that took it too far.

So, I hope he does well; I expect him to be replaced; and I would like the selectors to be given a headache, by Jennings making a big score.  

For the record, I wouldn't pick him for the next Test. 
    Fair enough - I find the quoted above difficult to disagree with, if there was a guarantee that he wouldn't actually be picked! 

Interesting post though with regards to the dropped players.

The cricket badger within me will look into those situations at some point!
  • Leuth said:
    It's very simple though. When England play India, Australia or South Africa then I am a massive England fan. When England plays Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe or Ireland, I probably want England to win to avoid embarrassment, but if the other team somehow wins, good luck to them. When England plays New Zealand, the West Indies or Pakistan* then I just want thrilling cricket, because England usually have good matches against those teams, and I usually like the players in those teams, and may the best team win. 

*On those horrible pitches in the UAE I really do want England to find a way to win though, that'd be nice

Yep very simple 😁
  • Guys, it's happening. I have to leave the house but I'll leave you all to watch the grisly charade unfold
  • "Currently Denly has scored 21 runs off 21 balls, highest test score is 21 and has a test batting average of 21"
  • edited February 2019
    Joe up to 30 now...

EDIT: 29 they've taken a run away and given it as a leg bye.
  • LenGlover said:
    Joe up to 30 now...
    Shut. Up. Now.
  • LenGlover said:
    Joe up to 30 now...
    Shut. Up. Now.
    You are absolutely right! Lips sealed.
  • Leuth said:
    It's very simple though. When England play India, Australia or South Africa then I am a massive England fan. When England plays Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe or Ireland, I probably want England to win to avoid embarrassment, but if the other team somehow wins, good luck to them. When England plays New Zealand, the West Indies or Pakistan* then I just want thrilling cricket, because England usually have good matches against those teams, and I usually like the players in those teams, and may the best team win. 

*On those horrible pitches in the UAE I really do want England to find a way to win though, that'd be nice
    Proper weird.
    What about Charlton games ?
    Do you only want us to win some of the games ? 
  • Already dealt with  :#
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth will be happy...
  • Jennings gone b Joseph 23
  • Proper opener's innings.  23 runs in 27 overs.  Well played. 
  • The commentators are saying he’s unlucky but how did he miss the ball ?
    Actually, Bumble just asked the same question
  • edited February 2019

BBC report of the dismissal

"This is the weirdest dismissal I've seen in a while.

Keaton Jennings actually stands there and laughs as he realises what has happens. Alzarri Joseph has replaced Kemar Roach and fired his first delivery down the leg side. Jennings has come wandering out of his crease, trying to tickle a single away, and the ball has missed the bat, flicked his trousers, and trickled into the stumps. Off comes the bails, and Jennings has to go." 

• Sir Alastair Cook

"I’ve been really impressed with Joe Denly. After a difficult debut on that tricky wicket in Antigua he’s shaped up really well and looks like a proper batsman.

He’s played some lovely shots and there is a touch of class about him."

• BBC report of the dismissal

Keaton Jennings actually stands there and laughs as he realises what has happens. Alzarri Joseph has replaced Kemar Roach and fired his first delivery down the leg side. Jennings has come wandering out of his crease, trying to tickle a single away, and the ball has missed the bat, flicked his trousers, and trickled into the stumps. Off comes the bails, and Jennings has to go." 

I'd have been tempted to review it!
  • Vaughan:

"Denly's movements have been fantastic today. He has got back when the ball has been short and got forward when it has been full."
  • Vaughan:

"Denly's movements have been fantastic today. He has got back when the ball has been short and got forward when it has been full."
    Pots and Kettles?
  • BBC report of the dismissal

Sometimes the Almighty has had enough tbh
  • Sponsored links:

• Sir Alastair Cook

"I’ve been really impressed with Joe Denly. After a difficult debut on that tricky wicket in Antigua he’s shaped up really well and looks like a proper batsman.

Now the flag button has been removed. 
    I hope he signs for Surrey  😁😁
  • Too many Charlton Life oddballs go to overseas England tours.....
  • Sir Alastair Cook

Now the flag button has been removed. 
    I hope he signs for Surrey  😁😁
    Maybe he'll just get a ton and a hat-trick against them instead... 
  • Happy for Denly. But for a dropped dolly that'd be him done but he's making the most of his luck 
  • Leuth said:
    Happy for Denly. But for a dropped dolly that'd be him done but he's making the most of his luck 
    It was a no-ball anyway.
  • But yes, a bit of luck. 
  • Get in!! Well done Joe 53*
  • Too many Charlton Life oddballs go to overseas England tours.....
    I must be an addball then as it's on my bucket list .
  • Well done Joe, a massive innings for his career
  • Well done Joe Denly! I'm wondering when was the last time a Kent player got a half century for England in a test match. Chris Tavare I would imagine.