Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Tours 2018-19 (and everything off the field during that period)

Comments

• Seriously though if you were batting in the West Indies on hard flat wickets would you rather face Sam Curren or Mark Wood .
  • Our selection has been poor as has Roots captainsy at times 
  • Windies 5 down.
    3 for wood 
  • Leuth said:
    England probably got enough for 300-400 here. Given the flimsy nature of Test cricket, expect the WI all out for 200 or so, and England to bat anew with a healthy lead. Up fucking steps Keaton Jennings, just when absolutely nobody wants him
    Scale the numbers down a bit and this is proving horribly prescient. Hopefully the quick bowlers give it one big final effort to prise out Jennings, but this is Inevitability we're fighting. Dropped catches, missed reviews, edges past the stumps. It's century time
  • I don't think England would be 3 down if they picked this team for the whole series.  5 bat's, 1 wicket keeper, 1 all rounder, 4 bowlers.  Not rocket science is it! 
  • Stokes is probably playing (mostly) as a batsman with his foot injury tbf. But if the 4 bowlers are good enough...which they are...
  • If this was a 5 match series, we might have the right line up by the end
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I don't think England would be 3 down if they picked this team for the whole series.  5 bat's, 1 wicket keeper, 1 all rounder, 4 bowlers.  Not rocket science is it! 
    Agreed .
    Tell it to our selectors .
  • Mark Wood.
    Just wow
  • Four wickets in 27 balls for Wood. If only he could stay healthy!
  • Sponsored links:

• They got away with it against India, got it spot on against Sri Lanka to be fair. 
  • Apart from Jennings, this is our Ashes side IMO.

All we need is Cook to come out of retirement and I think we'd win...
  • What a grab that is!
  • Whaaaaaaaaaaat
  • That's the best outfield catch I have ever seen! 
  • Oh my word
  • Five-fer for Wood!

WI 154 ao
  • Really pleased for Wood
  • Selectors get it right for the ashes please 
  • Sponsored links:

• Brilliant from Wood (and Moeen, kind of).

Now, yeah. Never have I rooted less for an England batsman.
  • Good. Jennings is off the mark.  

I cannot fathom why anyone would want a player on the team they support to do badly.  It's fair enough if you don't want him to play in the next Test, v Ireland, but don't you want to smash the opposition in this one?  Wouldn't it be better for Denly if the openers hung around? 
  • I’ve been watching test cricket for 40 + years - it’s odd, I don’t think I have ever seen so many comments about an English player wished to get out?

Obviously very well prior to the internet and social media but just cannot remember this situation - imagine what it feels like for Jennings.

Probably the media gunned for David Gower due to his flash about outside of off stump, that’s about it? Would love him in the team now at 3!

Any other thoughts on this?
  • Didn’t realise it was a one innings match...

• Cafc43v3r said:
    I don't think England would be 3 down if they picked this team for the whole series.  5 bat's, 1 wicket keeper, 1 all rounder, 4 bowlers.  Not rocket science is it! 
    Not after two games anyway 
  • A century for Jennings in this innings is detrimental to English cricket IMO.

I don't wish him any harm, I just don't think he's got it. He does seem like a top bloke and I wish him well.

All that said, I don't actually hope he gets a duck. That was tongue in cheek... scratchy 20 off 100 balls would do just fine. :-)
  • A century for Jennings in this innings is detrimental to English cricket IMO.

I don't wish him any harm, I just don't think he's got it. He does seem like a top bloke and I wish him well.

All that said, I don't actually hope he gets a duck. That was tongue in cheek... scratchy 20 off 100 balls would do just fine. :-)
    Exraordinary
  • Chizz said:
    A century for Jennings in this innings is detrimental to English cricket IMO.

Exraordinary
    Fair enough if that's your opinion. 

For me, he is quite clearly not good enough and is only playing in this game because we didn't take an extra top order batsman.

If he gets a score here then can they drop him? And then he opens the batting against Starc and co... do you want that?
  • Chizz said:
    A century for Jennings in this innings is detrimental to English cricket IMO.

Exraordinary
    Fair enough if that's your opinion. 

For me, he is quite clearly not good enough and is only playing in this game because we didn't take an extra top order batsman.

If he gets a score here then can they drop him? And then he opens the batting against Starc and co... do you want that?
    He's the best choice for this Test.  There's another Test before the Ashes, so the selectors can make a decision at that time.  For me, he's not good enough.  And a big score in this innings doesn't mean he's undroppable, at all.  All he can do now, is make a big score in a long innings, to set up a win.  And he can then end the series on a high and know that he's contributed to a win, following being dropped.  That's the sign of a player with a good temperament.  

We don't have a large number of openers banging on the door.  So I don't see his selection as meaning someone else who should be chosen, is missing out.  

But for now, in this match, he's in position.  And I want him to do well, because he's batting for England.  He's occupied the crease for longer than any of the West Indies players in this match and all but Burns, Buttler and Stokes.  

I am not sure he deserves the chance he's been given in this match.  But I am glad to see he's taking it so far.