Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Tours 2018-19 (and everything off the field during that period)

Comments

• I meant to go on the Charlton Life website. How did I end up on the Kent CCC website? Did someone get some runs in a dead rubber against a team ranked one point more than Bangladesh?
    And beat England in the series too.
  • I meant to go on the Charlton Life website. How did I end up on the Kent CCC website? Did someone get some runs in a dead rubber against a team ranked one point more than Bangladesh?
    How did the Sussex players get on? :-)
    When he makes his England debut, the Sussex supporters will be out in force celebrating the homegrown talent that goes by the name of Jofra Archer.
    When he makes his England debut, the Sussex supporters will be out in force celebrating the homegrown talent that goes by the name of Jofra Archer.
    To be fair Joe Denly and his Canterbury birth/Kent allegiance is fairly similar to Jofra Archer's Bridgetown birth/Sussex allegiance. 
    To be fair Joe Denly and his Canterbury birth/Kent allegiance is fairly similar to Jofra Archer's Bridgetown birth/Sussex allegiance. 
    Don't forget that Johannesburg, Cape Town, durban and Harare are all in the people's Republic of Surrey so anyone born there counts as "home grown". 
  • edited February 2019
    I meant to go on the Charlton Life website. How did I end up on the Kent CCC website? Did someone get some runs in a dead rubber against a team ranked one point more than Bangladesh?
    Our homegrown opening bat, Luke Wells, is scoring a stack of runs in Australia albeit for a village team. Jordan Archer will be opening the bowling for England soon.
    Our homegrown opening bat, Luke Wells, is scoring a stack of runs in Australia albeit for a village team. Jordan Archer will be opening the bowling for England soon.
    Oh, please.

Luke Wells got dealt with for 3 and then 9 by another Canterbury player in FC cricket last season.

Granted that would be Matt Henry... of Canterbury, New Zealand.

:-)
    I am not a fan of the way it has been handled, but if Archer is fit and available, then he walks into that England side across all three formats.

I have watched a lot of him in the BB, and the bloke has serious pace and hostility. Allied to that he bowls a very awkward natural length, which makes him extremely hard to get away, and has a lethal bouncer.

Not bad with the bat either, and coming in at number nine would be very useful indeed - just a shame he can't bat in the top three!
  • Michael Vaughan saying he would pick Ian Bell if he starts season well. 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Michael Vaughan saying he would pick Ian Bell if he starts season well. 
    This is the Ian Bell who will be 37 in a couple of months time and hasn't played Test cricket for almost 4 years. Just checking that there isn't an up and coming youngster by the same name. 

And that is the worrying thing. Whether it be a batsman or a fast bowler we keep having to look backwards rather than forwards. Yes there have been the odd exception (Pope who is now out of form, Hameed who might never play First Class cricket again and the Currans who aren't quick) but where are the youngsters knocking on the door? 
  • Ever since he retired Vaughn has spoken nothing but crap and really needs to be banned from all social media.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hameed is weird one.  Looked like such a talent.
  • MrOneLung said:
    This is the Ian Bell who will be 37 in a couple of months time and hasn't played Test cricket for almost 4 years. Just checking that there isn't an up and coming youngster by the same name. 

And that is the worrying thing. Whether it be a batsman or a fast bowler we keep having to look backwards rather than forwards. Yes there have been the odd exception (Pope who is now out of form, Hameed who might never play First Class cricket again and the Currans who aren't quick) but where are the youngsters knocking on the door? 
    I guess the argument for recalling someone like Bell is that Chris Rogers was picked for Australia at a veteran stage, while the likes of Misbah did well for Pakistan
  • Riviera said:
    Ever since he retired Vaughn has spoken nothing but crap and really needs to be banned from all social media.
    You can understand it though. Bell might be 37 but he is far superior form to the majority of the others. 

He probably isn’t the answer but he’s not the worst candidate that’s for sure. It just highlights the desperation of trying to find someone at the top of the order. 
  • MrOneLung said:

I guess the argument for recalling someone like Bell is that Chris Rogers was picked for Australia at a veteran stage, while the likes of Misbah did well for Pakistan
    It's not Bell in isolation that's my real concern - it is that we are simply either not producing young Test cricketers or not giving them a chance.

Denly, as much as he deserves his opportunity and should have been given it sooner, is 33 in a few weeks time so, with Bell, we are looking at two guys as "stop gaps" with an average age of 35. When the Ashes comes round this is what the line up of our side would look like:

Burns 28
    Denly 33
    Bell 37
    Root 28
    Buttler 28
    Stokes 28
    Bairstow 29
    Ali 32
    Wood 29
    Broad 33
    Anderson 37

That's an average age of 31 albeit that the middle order has a few years potentially in them - although only one of them actually averages 40 plus.

We talk about who is the next young top 3 batsman but, even more worrying, is our ageing fast bowling attack - compare ours to South Africa, for example, who have Rabada (23), Phehlukwayo (22) and Olivier (26) currently in their side or even Australia who have Richardson (22), Cummins (25), Hazlewood (28) and Starc (29). 

Yes we can talk about the likes of Stone (barely a hundred first class wickets too) and Overton but they do not seem able to stay fit for any period of time.

• That Ian Bell comment was before Denly made his runs to be fair, and for the rest of the innings Vaughan was singing his praises.
  • England declare on 361-5, Root out for 122, Stokes 48no
  • That was a ridiculous slip catch from Moeen
  • edited February 2019
    10/2

Have Ramprakash and Bayliss swapped teams?
  • Is that @Airman Brown that I have just seen on the TV by chance celebrating that wicket?
  • Or a body double?
  • Sponsored links:

• Buttler has just dropped another!!! I've been critical of his keeping but he doesn't seem much better without the gloves. Not for the first time off Broad either.

• Is that @Airman Brown that I have just seen on the TV by chance celebrating that wicket?
    Not unless Sky have a camera in my front room...
    Wind it back and check just to make sure I'm not going mad!
  • When Jimmy has the right conditions he really is unplayable

• Oh dear Broad and Root have sent Buttler from the slips and replaced him with Moeen
  • 14-3

Anderson 5-2-7-3
    Broad 5-3-5-0

See - I wasn't going mad. But, in hindsight, he's probably about 10 years younger I would say!
  • I reckon that's Jim Furyk umpiring too
  • 31-4 needing another 454 runs to win