Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton / L1 - January 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed, deadline day starts p98)

Comments

• I look forward to us splashing the cash from this, lookman and fox to fund our promotion push

C'mon you surely realise it going on a second trench at the training ground now???
  • People will say its sour grapes but in all honesty, and I've said it all season I would much rather keep Taylor than Grant. Grant is not that much of a huge loss IF we replace him well. Under normal circumstances, I would think there's no hope but with LB and Gallen, there is hope.

Mark my words, he will be back in L1 in 2/3 years time.

@DOUCHER tell me your contact has seen Will Grigg or someone in the in valley cafe, please

14 goals is not a huge loss really??

In regards to your league 1 comment, it was only a year ago people saying he will be in non league in a couple of years, if he carries on improving like he has this past year no reason why he won't be in a top Championship lower prem team.
    Have you looked at the league 1 players who have 12+ goals this year? He relied heavily on Taylor whether you like it or not. He misses too many chances as simple as that, Taylor would be the biggest loss. Im not going to bum up to Grand because he's an academy player. He's had half a good season. He is not where near the level that Gayle, Vardy, etc was at his age in similar leagues.

Anyway, my original point was that he can be replaced a lot easily then Taylor, that was my point which somehow you managed to miss.
    Taylor has relied on Grant just as much though... He wasnt anything special apart from the Wimbledon game when Karlan was missung

Funnily neither have really scored when the other hasnt played
    Taylor scored a hat trick against Mansfield without Grant.
  • CAFCTrev said:

People will say its sour grapes but in all honesty, and I've said it all season I would much rather keep Taylor than Grant. Grant is not that much of a huge loss IF we replace him well. Under normal circumstances, I would think there's no hope but with LB and Gallen, there is hope.

@DOUCHER tell me your contact has seen Will Grigg or someone in the in valley cafe, please

In regards to your league 1 comment, it was only a year ago people saying he will be in non league in a couple of years, if he carries on improving like he has this past year no reason why he won't be in a top Championship lower prem team.
    Have you looked at the league 1 players who have 12+ goals this year? He relied heavily on Taylor whether you like it or not. He misses too many chances as simple as that, Taylor would be the biggest loss. Im not going to bum up to Grand because he's an academy player. He's had half a good season. He is not where near the level that Gayle, Vardy, etc was at his age in similar leagues.

Anyway, my original point was that he can be replaced a lot easily then Taylor, that was my point which somehow you managed to miss.
    Taylor has relied on Grant just as much though... He wasnt anything special apart from the Wimbledon game when Karlan was missung

Funnily neither have really scored when the other hasnt played
    Taylor scored a hat trick against Mansfield without Grant.
    Was only thinking of the League
  • As above rumours
  • Time for some incoming rumours please.

@DOUCHER your people need you
  • Going all out for Will Grigg would be a statement of intent but as we are Charlton it will never happen. We will end up with a panic loan in.

I doubt Will Grigg would want to join us.
    I doubt Will Young would want to join us. ;)
  • I look forward to us splashing the cash from this, lookman and fox to fund our promotion push

Fox can stay where he is.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2019
    Only links we have official acknowledgement of any kind are Eisa and Oztumer I believe.

You can bin the Grigg one straight away. Sunderland can’t get a bid accepted for him so there’s no way he’s coming here.
  • People will say its sour grapes but in all honesty, and I've said it all season I would much rather keep Taylor than Grant. Grant is not that much of a huge loss IF we replace him well. Under normal circumstances, I would think there's no hope but with LB and Gallen, there is hope.

I agree he's easier to replace than Taylor, but that doesn't mean he's easy to replace. Especially not with our budget. If it's easy why do we tend to struggle to sign good strikers?

Strikers working well in a partnership and us getting the best out of them is a good thing rather than a weakness.

Did he miss too many chances, or are you just remembering the recent penalty miss and one-on-ones the other day?

When Vardy was 21 he was playing for Stocksbridge Park Steels (7th or 8th tier at a guess?). At the same sort of age Gayle was playing for Bishop's Stortford in the Conference North and Dagenham in League 2.

I'm not sure about him in the Championship yet and think the Prem will be too big a step up at the moment, but in League 1 he was a good player for us and 50% of an excellent strike partnership. The best strike partnership in a long time, both strikers looking like they'd have scored 20+ by the end of the season.

At his age he has plenty of room to improve. He might not but he has the potential - I'm not sure anyone predicted him doing as well as he has for us this season.
  • edited January 2019
    Middlesbrough looking to loan out Assombalonga. Suspect there will be Championship interest though.
  • some one we havnt herd of whose cheap

mind you i hadnt herd of Taylor
  • Wigan offloading James Vaughan. Oxford are after him. Would Charlton be a more attractive destination?

Just throwing names out now.
  • Time for Doucher to recycle some existing rumours
  • some one we havnt herd of whose cheap

Who also needs to sit down and do their homework by 6pm and be in bed by 9pm...
  • Ben18 said:

Time for some incoming rumours please.

Surely when @DOUCHER drops a pearl it is a little stronger than a rumour. Maybe he could have his own category...'Genuinely In The Know'. Would save all this speculation.

Someone should look into this.
  • Nketiah or Eisa on loan AND a permanent deal for a striker would be my preference, someone like Aneke
  • Sponsored links:

• Without going back over 90 pages and checking.

Jay O'Shea from Bury.
    Jay is 30 now, but is in fine form this season with 12 goals and 3 assists.
    He is 6 foot and can play as a striker but also as a winger or attacking midfielder which comes in handed when playing away and under the cosh and need forwards to put a shift in tracking back.
    Lyle and Jay would get on well together as they are both journeymen footballers and could have a similar Irish link. ( Look up Montserrat history)

James Norwood from Tranmere
    James is 28 now and has a goal every two games for Tranmere.
    The boy from Eastbourne has spent his time in the lower leagues but with Williams, Taylor, Reeves etc supplying him why could he keep up his 71 goals in 174 game record.

Both these boys are sturdy and weren't created at Swarovski so might not fit our profile.
    We just can't keep going for players like Leon Best.

You forgot Andy Delort.
  • Without going back over 90 pages and checking.

Jay O'Shea from Bury.
    He is 6 foot and can play as a striker but also as a winger or attacking midfielder which comes in handed when playing away and under the cosh and need forwards to put a shift in tracking back.
    Lyle and Jay would get on well together as they are both journeymen footballers and could have a similar Irish link.
    ( Look up Montserrat history)

The boy from Eastbourne has spent his time in the lower leagues but with Williams, Taylor, Reeves etc supplying him why couldn't he keep up his 71 goals in 174 game record.

Both these boys are sturdy and weren't created at Swarovski so might not fit our profile.

well said.
  • I would say Eisa is likely now. Bristol City will want him playing games and Grant going makes us an attractive option IMO. Added to the fact that Bowyer has admitted he is keen and it would seem favourite.
  • Ben18 said:

Time for some incoming rumours please.

Surely when @DOUCHER drops a pearl it is a little stronger than a rumour. Maybe he could have his own category...'Genuinely In The Know'. Would save all this speculation.

Someone should look into this.
    There’s an admin meeting tonight to discuss replacing @i_b_b_o_r_g with @DOUCHER as part of the mod team. Controversial, but some feel the least we can do to recognise his ongoing contribution to CL and growing respect and popularity.

It’s not straight forward, @i_b_b_o_r_g has some heavy hitting backers. Could go either way this one.
    Lol
  • How much would Gillingham want for Eaves? Surely no more than 500k.
  • edited January 2019

Without going back over 90 pages and checking.

Jay O'Shea from Bury.
    Lyle and Jay would get on well together as they are both journeymen footballers and could have a similar Irish link. ( Look up Montserrat history)

The boy from Eastbourne has spent his time in the lower leagues but with Williams, Taylor, Reeves etc supplying him why could he keep up his 71 goals in 174 game record.

You forgot Andy Delort.
    I would never forget Andy Delort without a tear drop appearing about what might have been.
    Unfortunately Red Robin, Andy is playing on loan at Marseille from Toulouse in the French top Division and is above our pay grade now.