Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton / L1 - January 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed, deadline day starts p98)

Comments

• Ben18 said:

Time for some incoming rumours please.

@DOUCHER your people need you
    Surely when @DOUCHER drops a pearl it is a little stronger than a rumour. Maybe he could have his own category...'Genuinely In The Know'. Would save all this speculation.

Someone should look into this.
    It’s not straight forward, @i_b_b_o_r_g has some heavy hitting backers. Could go either way this one.
    And a gun! ;)
  • Ben18 said:

Surely when @DOUCHER drops a pearl it is a little stronger than a rumour. Maybe he could have his own category...'Genuinely In The Know'. Would save all this speculation.

There’s an admin meeting tonight to discuss replacing @i_b_b_o_r_g with @DOUCHER as part of the mod team. Controversial, but some feel the least we can do to recognise his ongoing contribution to CL and growing respect and popularity.

It’s not straight forward, @i_b_b_o_r_g has some heavy hitting backers. Could go either way this one.
    I support @i_b_b_o_r_g and as the current holder of the @ross1 updates award I hope my support goes a long way
  • Ben18 said:

There’s an admin meeting tonight to discuss replacing @i_b_b_o_r_g with @DOUCHER as part of the mod team. Controversial, but some feel the least we can do to recognise his ongoing contribution to CL and growing respect and popularity.

Good to see it recognised that it must be one or the other. The ramifications of this decision could echo for a long time.
  • edited January 2019
    wmcf123 said:

How much would Gillingham want for Eaves? Surely no more than 500k.

the only problem is now clubs know a.) we've just received 1.5million b.) we are desperate

so prices will go up,
  • wmcf123 said:

Is he even the type of striker Bowyer's looking for?
  • Scoham said:

wmcf123 said:

the type that has scored 14 goals this season? isn't currently banned and seems to have a decent disciplinary record, yes Taylor is always going to get targeted but 9 yellows and 1 red is a bit high for 29 games played.
  • Bristol City are being linked to him which would hopefully mean that Mo Eisa would be coming this way, Leon Clarke is being linked to Wigan which will mean they'll probably let Grigg go, but Sunderland will most likely get him, think there'll be a lot of transfers and loans in the last couple of hours as the bigger clubs re-evaluate their squads.
  • T_C_E said:

Ben18 said:

And a gun! ;)
    Lots of guns
  • Sponsored links:

• wmcf123 said:

the only problem is now clubs know a.) we've just received 1.5million b.) we are desperate
    My guess is that Bowyer/Gallen will have to deal within Roland's already established budget.
    They will not get any transfer funds to acquire a replacement from the sale of KG. They will be given the full amount of KG's wages to play around with and the possibility of a little extra from Ajose's saving (which may or may not have gone already on the Ward/Williams salary swap) ...... that's it.
    Roland will get to trouser the quoted £1.5M in whatever form that arrives.
  • IMO Eaves and Aneke are replacements for Taylor. We need to replace the 20 yard burst of acceleration in behind. This Norwood chap at tranmere would be an idea.
  • IMO Eaves and Aneke are replacements for Taylor. We need to replace the 20 yard burst of acceleration in behind. This Norwood chap at tranmere would be an idea.

We need cover for Taylor too though

Reeco was good against Peterborough but I question if he can put in those levels on a constant basis at the moment
  • So when does Joe Dodoo arrive?

Norwood is a fantastic player but isn't blessed with the sort of pace that Grant has. Would bite your hand off for him though

We need cover for Taylor too though

Reeco was good against Peterborough but I question if he can put in those levels on a constant basis at the moment
    In an ideal world (post Roland) yes, but I think we’ll end up with one forward. So replacing grant rather than back up for Taylor must be priority.
  • @i_b_b_o_r_g verses @DOUCHER ?

No contest.

@i_b_b_o_r_g hero is Mr Tim Martin of Wetherpoons and has eyes for Lady Steller Artois.

Verses

@DOUCHER heroines are Mystic Meg and Doris Stokes. He has as much credibility as Mr spoon bender, Uri Geller.

I blame the Diversity brigade and the liberal elite.
    Mr Angry from Tunbridge Wells.
  • wmcf123 said:

Nooooooooo......
  • @DOUCHER knower of all and king of none...

Please do tell us when Dodoo will arrive?
  • wmcf123 said:

Which is £800k over our budget.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:

wmcf123 said:

the type that has scored 14 goals this season? isn't currently banned and seems to have a decent disciplinary record, yes Taylor is always going to get targeted but 9 yellows and 1 red is a bit high for 29 games played.
    No I mean Bowyer likes pace up front. In the summer I’m sure he said he didn’t want a target man.
  • Brining in any permanent player in January is a risky business regardless of the mad Belgian barstard. When we signed Page and JFC it was odds on we would be in league 1 the following season, so they had to be "fit for purpose" for 18 months minimum.

If you go for a player like Grigg or Eves they will not only command a fee, but they will also want a good, long term contract, say 2 and a half years. IF we get promoted we then have a player on a longish contract that might not be good enough for the championship. Grigg has failed at that level twice already.

Most league 1 teams have to rebuild their squads every season, look where Plymouth and Shrewsbury are this season, compared to last. Peterborough have a massive turn round of players every season.

You can't "slow build" in league 1, I don't even think it is possible in the championship any more.
  • Another classic Roland January window...

Saleable asset out (undisclosed) - tick

All us primed for major disappointment - tick

Complete ball ache!

Thought the window shut at 23.00 tomorrow not at 12.47 today.

We dont know how the window will end and until it does I think we should reserve judgement on how the window has gone
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Brining in any permanent player in January is a risky business regardless of the mad Belgian barstard. When we signed Page and JFC it was odds on we would be in league 1 the following season, so they had to be "fit for purpose" for 18 months minimum.

If you go for a player like Grigg or Eves they will not only command a fee, but they will also want a good, long term contract, say 2 and a half years. IF we get promoted we then have a player on a longish contract that might not be good enough for the championship. Grigg has failed at that level twice already.

Most league 1 teams have to rebuild their squads every season, look where Plymouth and Shrewsbury are this season, compared to last. Peterborough have a massive turn round of players every season.

You can't "slow build" in league 1, I don't even think it is possible in the championship any more.

A good point. It's really hard to keep good players in L1, as they'll get quickly snapped up by either bigger clubs or clubs in a higher division. When you look at the squads in other L1 clubs, very few players have been there for a number of years, there's constant rotation.
  • edited January 2019
    Got me sights set on bigger openings.

The backbone of the set up, you'll all miss me when I'm gone and the tail starts wagging the dog. Least I can mooch Lidl in peace
  • Still think we should have bought a player in - then agreed to release Grant like other clubs do. Not the other way round.

Then again did we expect anything less?
  • Still think we should have bought a player in - then agreed to release Grant like other clubs do. Not the other way round.

Then again did we expect anything less?

You can get caught in a web that way.

The club you are buying someone from is waiting to sign another player before selling and that club are waiting to buy another player by the time it all happens its to late to sell your player, its probably better in some cases to get the money then go get the player you want.

It wont cost us as there are no games between selling Grant and the window shutting.