Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Burton v Charlton Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    On the way back.
    V happy.
    Stole a win tonight, they were all over us.
    Pearce was outstanding. I lost count of his headers, and his blocks/tackles were first class.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    it's all been written .. floodlit robbery .. 100% effort all round even if skill was lacking .. defence and Steer were superb and earned us the points .. Burton ran us ragged at times but god was on our side .. terrible referring and officiating but was equally awful to both sides .. better to be born lucky than born rich .. tonight we were born very very lucky …
    this win will be terrific for morale .. Bowyer's squad excels under pressure .. come on youse Addicksaaahhh ((:>)
  • Options

If we had 700 there 400 of em were in the seats !

No way 700 be lucky to hit 500 Imo

But they sang all game

There were CHARLTON fans on the side of the ground, not just those behind the goal.
  • Options
    Highlights up on Sky - Karlan's penalty was none too convincing.
  • Options
    Loads in the seats although never sure why people sit at an away game when there is an option and then stand all game as some of ours did

Don’t do many midweek away games but the noise was good tonight

Fair play everyone
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

More convincing than some of Lyle's however!
  • Options
    sm said:

More convincing than some of Lyle's however!
    .....in that it went in!
  • Options
    Back at the hotel, via some more beers. Rubbish performance, worse than Saturday BUT we got the 3 points somehow

2 “soft but I’ve seen them given” penalties in the first half cancelled out the goals, but don’t reflect Burton’s dominance, which continued in the second half. Some great blocks and last ditch tackles kept them out, them somehow we nicked a winner.

Occasionally Lady Luck shines down on you, tonight was one of those occasions!
  • Options
    Win is a win particularly away from home when performance ain't too good, made the soaking I/we got walking to the ground seem somewhat worthwhile.
  • Options
    Sage said:

Without seeing anything from the game tonight there’s a couple of points I’d like to make.

Firstly it’s fantastic to get 3 points and carry on the winning run when we clearly played very, very poorly but as Bows has said and others on here, we dug deep and those are the kind of results away from home when you don’t play well that get you promoted.

Secondly, I am not surprised in the slightest about the midfield being non-existent. We had a 20 year old centre back in Bielik playing at the base of the diamond, he’s technically a good player but it’s just not the same. We had 21 year old playing on the right side of central midfield, albeit seemingly having a decent game being everywhere, but Lapslie has only started a handful of first team matches. Aribo has came on massively over the last year, even the last 8 months or so under Bowyer, but he is still only 22 years of age. And finally we have a left midfielder who played in the number 10 role behind the front two, who hasn’t been on great form and has suffered with fitness a little this season, who again, is young and is only 23.

That midfield tonight had an average age of 21.5 years, with Aribo probably being our most experienced in terms of first team football and playing in a position that is more natural to him. We were always going to find it difficult if Burton played well, which it seems like they did.

I think that it shows we desperately need Cullen and Pratley back as well as Reeves too, as soon as, because we will continue to struggle in that department if that is the midfield going forward.

Don’t get me wrong, I am so happy for the win tonight and as said, it’s these nights where promoted teams go and get the win. I am just thinking about when we play Portsmouth away for example, it will be so different if things don’t improve in the midfield before then.

For now, well done to the fans tonight, to the players for their hard work and earning the points, and the staff including Bows and Jacko of course.

Up The Addicks!

Could not agree more. Bows has tried Clarke at the point as well, and he has been poor. I know it is not popular but I would go for a flat 4-4-2.

All four would need to be able to tackle and work hard. Aribo, Pratley, Marshall, Lapslie, Dyksteel, Biliek. Perm any 4 from them - if fit! No play maker, just hope the front 2 get a chance. If we stick the diamond against Pompey and maybe Blackpool we could be in trouble.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wasn't there, didn't follow it on iPlayer & only seen the goals on here & Sky......so my thoughts are as follows;

Why did Grant take the pen ?? Was it because it was him who was fouled ? Did Taylor not fancy it ?? Strange decision all round.

Not surprising Burton are a good passing team.....their manager learnt from the best. There was only one Cloughie.....

That win is our reward for the Coventry game. What goes around comes around.

I called it with 5 mins to go. Looked at the BBC stats.....at their 16 corners to our 2 & said..."we'll get a last minute winner....from a corner". Good job Ward was on to take it.

4 on the spin for LB in November. Manager of the Month perhaps ??
  • Options
    Looking at the replays, is the winning goal an Aribo assist? I think it might be
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Looking at the replays, is the winning goal an Aribo assist? I think it might be

Yes
  • Options
    edited November 2018

I just hope now that Bowyer doesn’t put out a second string side for the FA cup on Saturday.

I think it is a cast-iron certainty that he will. Remarks made in the heat of the moment are usually more revealing than those they have had time to finesse (in sports as in politics), and after the match, when he was still on a high at stealing three points, he twice said that we have two tough games coming up, away to Blackpool and Portsmouth, but at least the lads can have a good rest before them. Obviously the upcoming FA Cup match does not figure in his thinking at all.

A bit sad, really, but it is his career on the line, and with so many youngsters and players less than 100% fit in the team, it does seem that we struggle with two games a week.
  • Options
    I’d like to see the win % when Bauer and Pearce start together
  • Options
    Sign of a good side when you can win without playing well.

Vitally important 3 points as most of the other top sides all won, and our next 2 games are Blackpool and Portsmouth away which will not be easy.

Unless we spend in January (don't laugh) i can't see us having enough to get top 2, but we want to at least try and finish 3rd or 4th so the play off 2nd leg is at home.
  • Options

Wasn't there, didn't follow it on iPlayer & only seen the goals on here & Sky......so my thoughts are as follows;

Why did Grant take the pen ?? Was it because it was him who was fouled ? Did Taylor not fancy it ?? Strange decision all round.

Not surprising Burton are a good passing team.....their manager learnt from the best. There was only one Cloughie.....

That win is our reward for the Coventry game. What goes around comes around.

I called it with 5 mins to go. Looked at the BBC stats.....at their 16 corners to our 2 & said..."we'll get a last minute winner....from a corner". Good job Ward was on to take it.

4 on the spin for LB in November. Manager of the Month perhaps ??

Not exactly strange given how many pens Taylor has missed this season for club and country.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Are we a good side that’s winning playing shit or a half decent side that’s lucky to be winning and will eventually end up with results that the performances warrant.
    Of course all that matters is the 3 points and we are getting them , so we’d all be happy if we were lucky and shit for the rest of the season and went up !
    The we’ re gonna batter someone soon mantra has disappeared (I’m not including the cup matches !) because bizarrely when we did play well the results weren’t what we deserved .
    I’m just being overly cautious at getting optimistic about our prospects but in all honesty it’s such a pony league we won’t have to be great to get in the play offs and hopefully a decent run of form can make us pressure the automatics .