Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Burton v Charlton Post Match Views

Comments

• 📸 The anatomy of a smash and grab winner:
    ⚽️
    💪
    🤝
    😆 #cafc

• FOUR. IN. A. ROW.
    🔴🔴🔴🔴
    #cafc

• Christmas shopping done early 😉

(Courtesy @LouisMend) #cafc

• Resilient ✅
    Relentless ✅
    Rewarded ✅

#cafc

• shirty5 said:
    9 penalties before December is mad. That must be close to our total for the previous 3 seasons combined.

Another benefit of playing a higher tempo and concentrating on getting the ball and bodies into the opposition’s penalty area.
  • edited November 2018
    Great saving tackle by Sarr, if he gets that wrong it's a pen and probably a red card depending on the referees interpretation of the force used in the challenge and or deliberate as last man.
  • Sponsored links:

• PWR....after a substantial lie in !

Thanks to the Highways Agency ( HA HA seems to be their motto) & a massive detour around the A21, we eventually arrived back in leafless Wadhurst circa 2am.....Captain Fantastic Mark II 's winning header playing round & round in my old 'ead.

The journey north was stop / start in nasty driving conditions & the inevitable road works causing a few problems but nothing our indomitable driver couldn't handle. @killerjerrylee kept us engaged all the way with his endless stories and before we knew it we were crossing the Trent & heading for the ground via a superb fish & chip restaurant close by.

Amazingly, no wine had been imbibed ( normally a prerequisite for an enjoyable match) but as it turned out, maybe this should be the new pre away match routine ?

Nah.

As I'm sure others have already stated, the Brewers hit the ground running....and running....and running, giving us no time to dwell on the ball when we managed to gain possession. Memories surfaced of the way that Rochdale attacked non stop & closed us down time after time last month & the result that day.

It was abundantly clear that there is no Specsavers in Burton with the man in black happy to penalise our lads every time a hint of a tackle was made, with Cloughie's boys capitalising on his generosity. How no yellow cards were shown remains a mystery so our season's total still teeters on the brink of an unenviable half century.

Their penalty looked soft from where we were sitting but it was no surprise it was given....probably nothing more than they deserved. When ours was duly awarded at the opposite end I wondered whether the ref had evened things up although I'm probably wrong.

We witnessed a few comedic incidents, with the most memorable being The Curious Incident of the Lino in 3 Minds when he flagged for offside, immediately followed by a corner, and then a goal kick with the aid of the hapless referee! You couldn't make it up !

So, honours even at halftime & all to play for. Whilst Burton continued to attack with some deft, accurate passing moves, we seemed to counter with more energy with even the lacklustre Fosu stepping up a gear. However, the travelling faithful seemed certain his number would be shown on the board when Bow decided to make a substitution but it was Bielik's turn to make way for fresh legs. And for me, this decision made a clear difference to events with Wardy adding some much needed guile & steel to our struggling midfield. Inevitably, Fosu made way for Marshall - the switch we had anticipated earlier, with the team looking more balanced as a result.

So, a point on the road looked a fair result but Ward, Aribo and CF II had other ideas and combined to send the Addicks into delirium. THIS is what following our team is all about and I'm sure those present have been replaying the sight of that bullet header over & over again as am I. What a way to grab the 3 points !

MOM ? That's a tough one although as @killerjerrylee mused on the return south, our back 4 was pretty special. Steer made a few very good saves in the 2nd half, Solly was almost back to his best, the BFG did very little wrong, Pearcey showed that this was the kind of contest he relishes and then there was the Nabster......This young man is swiftly becoming somewhat of a cult hero to those who derided his performances in the past. He is our Colossus at the back & despite the inevitable hiccup now & again, must engender fear in opposition would be marauders as soon as they line up to shake hands before kick off. Long may it last !

Following the diversion of the Cup this Saturday & the long trip to Blackpool the following weekend, our lads will face the front runners in LI at Fratton Park...a 6 pointer indeed and a scalp ripe for taking. If we can avoid further injuries & add the returning Clarke & Reeves to the squad, we have every right to expect a similar performance & result celebrated by the travelling fans last season. I can't wait.

Onwards & upwards !

looking at the Sky highlights I reckon he did. He took an age to give it & although I cant see if the lino flagged (I'm sure he didn't) I'm sure he took the decision on his own & it is so late it makes you wonder.
  • RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

If we had 700 there 400 of em were in the seats !

No way 700 be lucky to hit 500 Imo

But they sang all game

Almost 500 tickets sold before the game according to OS;
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5bfd0ae622dd3/buy-on-the-night-at-burton-albion

So plus cash sales of which we knew about on here our numbers would have been in excess of that figure.
    200 cash sales on the night is a large number.

I think one reason so many people were in the seats is that it wasn’t obvious on the online booking page that there was terracing. Like others I bought seats by mistake and had to change them.
    Are you saying there was an element of double counting then in the OS >500 figure and would have needed 200 cash sales to take our numbers above 500?

I agree 200 cash sales would have been a lot but It still appeared to me we had more than 500 albeit not 700.
    I’d be surprised if we went from 500 to 700 on the night at a midweek game. Hard to estimate in a strange ground but that away terrace is quite small so maybe there were 350-ish in there and 250-ish in the stand?
  • shirty5 said:
    Amazing how many penalties we have got. It used to be that we were rarely awarded any.
  • edited November 2018
    RedChaser said:

Great saving tackle by Sarr, if he gets that wrong it's a pen and probably a red card depending on the referees interpretation of the force used in the challenge and or deliberate as last man.

Heart in the mouth moment that’s for sure.
    You could see that Nabby was going to make a tackle and that it had to be spot on or would be a penalty. Huge sigh of relief a second or two later when all the pieces fell into place and all was well.
    Doubt we’ll see a better tackle than that all season......the guy looked odds on to score and a red card would have been the result had it all gone wrong for Nabby.

• ross1 said:

George Lapslie

@GeorgeLapslie
    15h15 hours ago
    More
    Don’t know when we’re beaten this team ♥️🔥Thanks to everyone who came up to support, safe journey home. Shout-out to the big man on the last minute winner @jpearce05 🤪😁

Great picture.
  • edited November 2018
    Lapslie: 7 worked like a Trojan
    Snuck in disguised as a gift and murdered everyone in their sleep?

or

A larger mans penile protection?
  • stonemuse said:

shirty5 said:
    Amazing how many penalties we have got. It used to be that we were rarely awarded any.
    Only two more needed to equal the club record for a full season (9)

https://castrust.org/2018/11/charlton-set-for-penalty-record/
  • Well done Naby for that tackle. I'll say one thing - he may look like an accident waiting to happen, but that is deceiving. I am confident that if you look at the stats he makes no more costly errors than anybody else. We have a better balance with him playing left back and Solly on the right with the personnel available. Also it gives us extra height for offensive and defensive set pieces which can win you games.
  • RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

But they sang all game

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5bfd0ae622dd3/buy-on-the-night-at-burton-albion

So plus cash sales of which we knew about on here our numbers would have been in excess of that figure.

I think one reason so many people were in the seats is that it wasn’t obvious on the online booking page that there was terracing. Like others I bought seats by mistake and had to change them.
    Are you saying there was an element of double counting then in the OS >500 figure and would have needed 200 cash sales to take our numbers above 500?

I agree 200 cash sales would have been a lot but It still appeared to me we had more than 500 albeit not 700.
    RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

But they sang all game

To me there seemed about 600.
  • Sponsored links:

• I counted every person and there was 511.3/4
  • Soft penalty decisions. Gotta love Pearce, proper leader.
    I tend to look at the reactions of the players, and neither sets of players reacted like a serious misjustice had been done.

• So, a point on the road looked a fair result but Ward, Aribo and CF II had other ideas and combined to send the Addicks into delirium. THIS is what following our team is all about and I'm sure those present have been replaying the sight of that bullet header over & over again as am I. What a way to grab the 3 points !

Onwards & upwards !

Sorry Fanny, but the bullet header came off Pearce's thigh.
  • Rubbish start to the day, with mates ill etc and lost money on hotels and train fares, plus the pissing rain.
    Great end with Pearce committing grand larceny after winning every header all night.
    Magnificent defence, average strikers, midfield poor.

• So, a point on the road looked a fair result but Ward, Aribo and CF II had other ideas and combined to send the Addicks into delirium. THIS is what following our team is all about and I'm sure those present have been replaying the sight of that bullet header over & over again as am I. What a way to grab the 3 points !

Onwards & upwards !

Really ?

I must have blinked.....

Can't blame it on the wine this time !

Onwards & upwards !

Really ?

I must have blinked.....

Can't blame it on the wine this time !
    It definitely wasn't his head (I've seen comments elsewhere about a bullet header) but it went in of some bit of his leg (thigh, shin, knee)!
  • We were behind the goal. It was just above his knee.
  • Well done Naby for that tackle. I'll say one thing - he may look like an accident waiting to happen, but that is deceiving. I am confident that if you look at the stats he makes no more costly errors than anybody else. We have a better balance with him playing left back and Solly on the right with the personnel available. Also it gives us extra height for offensive and defensive set pieces which can win you games.

• We were behind the goal. It was just above his knee.

Not sure what he was trying to do, but the end result was great.