Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Burton v Charlton Post Match Views

Comments

• Are we a good side that’s winning playing shit or a half decent side that’s lucky to be winning and will eventually end up with results that the performances warrant.
    Of course all that matters is the 3 points and we are getting them , so we’d all be happy if we were lucky and shit for the rest of the season and went up !
    The we’ re gonna batter someone soon mantra has disappeared (I’m not including the cup matches !) because bizarrely when we did play well the results weren’t what we deserved .
    I’m just being overly cautious at getting optimistic about our prospects but in all honesty it’s such a pony league we won’t have to be great to get in the play offs and hopefully a decent before of form can make us pressure the automatics .

I wouldn't necessarily say we are lucky, i'd say we are a fairly decent top 6 side that blows hot and cold. Look at our results against the current top half.

Portsmouth - yet to play
    Sunderland - lost
    Luton - drew
    Peterborough - lost
    Barnsley - won
    Doncaster - won
    Blackpool - yet to play
    Coventry - lost
    Wycombe - won
    Accrington - drew
    Fleetwood - drew
    Walsall - won

P10 W4 D3 L3

Fairly average set of results overall but it's a very tight league and when you think that if we hadn't conceded late at Sunderland, we'd only be 3 points off automatic. Which given we started the season with half a team full of kids and about 3 subs it's pretty good going really.
    All 3 of those defeats could have been draws as well. We were not outplayed.
  • Redrobo said:

sm said:

Highlights up on Sky - Karlan's penalty was none too convincing.

More convincing than some of Lyle's however!
    .....in that it went in!
    Not sure about for country but for us he's scored than he's missed.

Also we've had 3 different penalty scorers......not just takers, but scorers. When was the last time that's happened ??(baring penalty shoot outs obviously)
    For club and country he's taken 7 and missed 3. Not a great record so i'm not surprised they let Grant take it.
  • RedChaser said:

Redrobo said:

RedChaser said:

At the game.

Despite the horrible weather for most of the day it relented a couple of hours before kick off and the pitch held up well.

No doubt like most of the travelling faithfull first visit to the modern Pirelli stadium with its three identical stands just 15 rows deep and the larger main stand housing all the corporate stuff.

We wore our main strip with he home side in yellow and black. Diamond formation with changes from Brissle, Sarr in at LB, Solly to RB, Fosu for Ward at the tip and Taylor for Ajose.

Burton were in the ascendancy from the off as we seemed to struggle to get a foothold to create something. Midfield offered little protection to a solid back line who were tested to the max as the evening wore on. It seemed like a yellow knife through jam through the centre until they got to the lumpy bits in the shape of the BFG and Captain Fantastic.

Our full backs were also on the back foot but Sarr stuck to his guns with block after block as did Solly albeit in reverse gear too much for my liking.

Lapslie was his usual energetic self as was Aribo. Bielik is no Cullen at the base but stuck at it. Fosu struggled to impose himself and create something for the front two who fed on scraps nearly all night.

Burton are no mugs and showed no ill effects of their injury ravaged squad or the beating up at Blackpool on Saturday. Their league position on this showing is completely false. A good footballing side from front to back who play fast possession football.

Enter the referee (we always get sh1t refs) he only needed a yellow top to go with his black shorts! Every decision seemed to go for the home team in the opening half hour despite similar offences against us being ignored. And then to cap it all he gives a pen to the angst of the away support who let him know about his obvious sexual pleasures; 0-1 to the Brewers.

We seemed spurred on for a while and countered with Grant being upended and blow me the ref only gave us a pen must've been a pang of concience! Taylor to take? No! Up stepped Grant to just squeeze it inside the the post; phew 1-1 and HT.

Second period was a bit better from us but the back line still bore the brunt of The Brewers attacking play. Corner after corner and balls forward dealt with admirably and when on target Steer saved well. Our one glorious chance fell to Lapslie who again from 8 yards failed to convert. How his boss would have licked his lips at that chance on a plate.

The longer the game went on the more accepting I became for a point but all the time you are hoping to nick one. And so it came to pass with a rare corner taken by Ward, on for Bielik, drilled to the crowded penalty spot. Too many bodies to

RedChaser said:

Redrobo said:

RedChaser said:

At the game.

Despite the horrible weather for most of the day it relented a couple of hours before kick off and the pitch held up well.

No doubt like most of the travelling faithfull first visit to the modern Pirelli stadium with its three identical stands just 15 rows deep and the larger main stand housing all the corporate stuff.

We wore our main strip with he home side in yellow and black. Diamond formation with changes from Brissle, Sarr in at LB, Solly to RB, Fosu for Ward at the tip and Taylor for Ajose.

Burton were in the ascendancy from the off as we seemed to struggle to get a foothold to create something. Midfield offered little protection to a solid back line who were tested to the max as the evening wore on. It seemed like a yellow knife through jam through the centre until they got to the lumpy bits in the shape of the BFG and Captain Fantastic.

Our full backs were also on the back foot but Sarr stuck to his guns with block after block as did Solly albeit in reverse gear too much for my liking.

Lapslie was his usual energetic self as was Aribo. Bielik is no Cullen at the base but stuck at it. Fosu struggled to impose himself and create something for the front two who fed on scraps nearly all night.

Burton are no mugs and showed no ill effects of their injury ravaged squad or the beating up at Blackpool on Saturday. Their league position on this showing is completely false. A good footballing side from front to back who play fast possession football.

Enter the referee (we always get sh1t refs) he only needed a yellow top to go with his black shorts! Every decision seemed to go for the home team in the opening half hour despite similar offences against us being ignored. And then to cap it all he gives a pen to the angst of the away support who let him know about his obvious sexual pleasures; 0-1 to the Brewers.

We seemed spurred on for a while and countered with Grant being upended and blow me the ref only gave us a pen must've been a pang of concience! Taylor to take? No! Up stepped Grant to just squeeze it inside the the post; phew 1-1 and HT.

Second period was a bit better from us but the back line still bore the brunt of The Brewers attacking play. Corner after corner and balls forward dealt with admirably and when on target Steer saved well. Our one glorious chance fell to Lapslie who again from 8 yards failed to convert. How his boss would have licked his lips at that chance on a plate.

The longer the game went on the more accepting I became for a point but all the time you are hoping to nick one. And so it came to pass with a rare corner taken by Ward, on for Bielik, drilled to the crowded penalty spot. Too many bodies to see who flicked it on but Pearce was there at the far stick to force it home to send the larger than normal midweek away following, up northish (great support all night), into raptures.

Classic smash and grab we'll play better and lose and Burton will play worse and win but that's football folks. Winning games like this are crucial if you want promotion GET IN THERE!

Yellow knife through jam? More like a hot knife through butter!
    I thought about butter but discounted it because they play in yellow and it wouldn't have been noticeable. Also we were in red - strawberry jam.......get it :-)
    Unfortunately I got it the first time. Put a blob of jam on plate and cut through it. The jam reforms on the plate as if nothing had happened and the knife can’t shake the jam off. They ran through us at will. Loved the rest of the report though!
  • We weren't winning the second ball enough, or even competing much for it or getting close. That is why Burton appeared to be better.
    Usually we do better on second balls, Lapslie couldn't do it all, and Belik was always just a bit too late.
    Burton were better because we were below par.
    We ought to play our strongest available team in the cup.
  • edited November 2018
    We are nabbing the 3 points and we are winning, So far so good.
    The victories against Barnsley and Doncaster and the way we played for 70 minutes against Coventry was attractive on the eye and we looked a decent side.
    The main reason for that was the midfield duo of Reeves and Mortimer Cullen who ran the show, plus Aribo and his magic feet.
    Without the above 3 players as a unit we look weak in midfield, and rely on Bauer, Pearce and Sarr (last night) plus Steer to rescue us at the back.
    Taylor and Grant are scoring which is helping to win games.

Still feel we need to replace Cullen who replaced JFC if we want to secure a top 6 place.
  • If we had 700 there 400 of em were in the seats !

No way 700 be lucky to hit 500 Imo

But they sang all game

An actual Charlton anorak at the end there too. Proper Charlton.
  • I know there is a Charlton man in the way but their penalty looks crazy!!

Bielik pokes the ball away and then does it again before tripping over Boyce
  • Soft penalty decisions. Gotta love Pearce, proper leader.
  • Went to the game last night with Ketz, the performance was on par with that 4-0 Millwall away day. Officials made some strange decisions thought the game. Never a pen for Burton

But we where out played, all long ball stuff no control in midfield,

But who cares and personally after going 6 years away from home without a win before Pompey away last year I’ve now seen us win the last two away wins at Walsall and Burton

The jinx has been lifted
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2018

I know there is a Charlton man in the way but their penalty looks crazy!!

It most certainly was :rage:
  • edited November 2018

If we had 700 there 400 of em were in the seats !

But they sang all game

Almost 500 tickets sold before the game according to OS;
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5bfd0ae622dd3/buy-on-the-night-at-burton-albion

So plus cash sales of which we knew about on here our numbers would have been in excess of that figure.
  • Redrobo said:

sm said:

Highlights up on Sky - Karlan's penalty was none too convincing.

More convincing than some of Lyle's however!
    .....in that it went in!
    Not sure about for country but for us he's scored than he's missed.

Also we've had 3 different penalty scorers......not just takers, but scorers. When was the last time that's happened ??(baring penalty shoot outs obviously)
    For club and country he's taken 7 and missed 3. Not a great record so i'm not surprised they let Grant take it.
    Forgive me if this has been clarified elsewhere, but why didn't Taylor take the pen?

• Missed another on international duty.

plain and simple .. he dived .. when the ref blew I thought it was to stop play and book the diver .. so the result, though we winged it was poetic justice .. fair play to the ref, our pen wasn't obvious, though a REAL pen, and he gave it

plain and simple .. he dived .. when the ref blew I thought it was to stop play and book the diver .. so the result, though we winged it was poetic justice .. fair play to the ref, our pen wasn't obvious, though a REAL pen, and he gave it
    What about the free kick just outside the box, a couple of minutes after he gave them the pen?
  • I thought the free kick that the referee ignored on Aribo was worse - Yes their player got the ball but he clearly went through Aribo (from behind) to get it, the decision led to their penalty was more of a foul than the one on Boyce
  • edited November 2018

What about the free kick just outside the box, a couple of minutes after he gave them the pen?
    What about the lino who gave them a corner and the ref over ruled him and gave offside and free kick to us from twenty yards behind the play wtf! The officials were totally incompetent and worse than some Sunday league refs I've encountered :wink:
  • RedChaser said:

What about the lino who gave them a corner and the ref over ruled him and gave offside and freee kick to us from twenty yards behind the play wtf! The officials were totally incompetent and worse than some Sunday league refs I've encountered :wink:
    as I wrote earlier, the officials were useless and although they seemed harsher on us, both sides had reasons to complain .. BUT we won !!
  • RedChaser said:

What about the lino who gave them a corner and the ref over ruled him and gave offside and freee kick to us from twenty yards behind the play wtf! The officials were totally incompetent and worse than some Sunday league refs I've encountered :wink:
    Its been a shame as I know referees are poor at this level but think we've been lucky since the Oxford game to have had quite a few decent referees who haven't been making the crazy decisions we saw early on in the season

I know you were @ the Accrington game @RedChaser...

Do you remember what the referee was like at that game as that's the same bloke from last night
  • Sponsored links:

• RedChaser said:

as I wrote earlier, the officials were useless and although they seemed harsher on us, both sides had reasons to complain .. BUT we won !!
    Can't beat a bit of Ref and Lino bashing though otherwise I'd have to get a cat:wink:
  • RedChaser said:

Its been a shame as I know referees are poor at this level but think we've been lucky since the Oxford game to have had quite a few decent referees who haven't been making the crazy decisions we saw early on in the season

I know you were @ the Accrington game @RedChaser...

Do you remember what the referee was like at that game as that's the same bloke from last night
    Really? well I'm blowed, he never left a lasting impression so must have had a day off back then :wink:
  • Very good win away from home against decent opposition. If Bowyer, Jackson and the squad can hold things together and get in a few re-inforcements in January I quite fancy our chances.
  • RedChaser said:

But they sang all game

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5bfd0ae622dd3/buy-on-the-night-at-burton-albion

So plus cash sales of which we knew about on here our numbers would have been in excess of that figure.
    200 cash sales on the night is a large number.

I think one reason so many people were in the seats is that it wasn’t obvious on the online booking page that there was terracing. Like others I bought seats by mistake and had to change them.
  • Jason Pearce is the sort of leader and captain every team needs. So happy he got the winner.

Sounds like we were shite and won, that is indeed the difference come the end of the season IMO. We're not good enough for automatic but hopefully can kick on and secure a play off place now.
  • I'm probably reading too much into this picture

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5bfd869d7daa9/team-news-taylor-returns-as-lee-bowyer-makes-three-changes-for-burton-albion-clash

mineral water bottles in the Charlton changing room
    would they be provided by the hosts or do visiting teams bring their own?

I'm giving roly's toxic pantomime too much credit - there's no way that risible rancid relic is sufficiently sophisticated to conjur up subliminal propaganda like this.
  • edited November 2018

RedChaser said:

But they sang all game

200 cash sales on the night is a large number.

I think one reason so many people were in the seats is that it wasn’t obvious on the online booking page that there was terracing. Like others I bought seats by mistake and had to change them.
    Are you saying there was an element of double counting then in the OS >500 figure and would have needed 200 cash sales to take our numbers above 500?

I agree 200 cash sales would have been a lot but It still appeared to me we had more than 500 albeit not 700.

But they sang all game

Who you call anorak??? That’s me doing my homesdale massive impression

But they sang all game

Who you call anorak??? That’s me doing my homesdale massive impression

But they sang all game

Our songs get faster and faster!