Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Burton v Charlton Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Great result, not sure how we done it.
    Great save from Steer in the first half putting the bar onto the ball, then them scoring from the rebound, given rightly offside. Didn’t think theirs was a pen, our looked like one.
    A couple of great timed tackles from Sarr in the second half. The midfield were poor.

Six sets of road works on the way home couldn’t put a dampener on the evening.
  • Options

We made them look like Dortmund, I truly think they are the best side we have played this season by a mile and I'm surprised they aren't fighting for promotion. Classic smash and grab so we will take it.

I think this side is a promotion side, winning when we are crap, got two goal scorers capable of 20+ and we feel like a side again with a lot of comradery.

Everyone was solid, special mentions to Pearce and Sarr, my only real critiques are that Lapslie is very raw, over hits passes and he rushes too much, when he works on those he will be a special player for us though and Fosu was pants. It's not all bad as we know there is a player in there and it keeps other teams from sniffing but he needs to step his game up. Lastly Cullen, we miss him big time. Bielik was poor in his role tonight imo and is clearly a centre back

Burton were the better team, that's for sure; not that great though in my opinion. They had 16 corners and I don't recall them threatening from one of them! I also think Clough got it right tactically, in that he set up to exploit our system that seems to give opponents far too much space and that our (current fit) players look uncomfortable with.

Agree about the camaraderie in the team though. The reaction of all the players when Pearce got the winner was immense.
  • Options
    To lose one may be regarded as a misfortune, to lose two looks like carelessness. (Oscar Wilde)

We have had four 2-1 defeats in the league and they are carbon copies of each other. We have played well, had the vast majority of the play, chances, corners, everything but have conceded two goals that have cost us the game. (Nigel Clough)
  • Options
    Sounded like a proper smash and grab, but we must have shown great courage to come back from 1-0 and remain in the match until the end to grab the winner.

I thought on Saturday we looked rusty after having almost three weeks since are last league match. However, I think without either Reeves or Cullen in the side we struggle with this midfield diamond. Wouldn’t be surprised to see us revert to a 5-3-2 when Page is back and fully fit, I.e how’s we played against Wycombe.

Especially pleased we won with Lapslie and Sarr playing. Football is a squad game and Bowyer must not be afraid to use his squad this season. If Bowyer can get Fosu firing again then I fear for the rest of this division.

Overall, very pleased with the win. Hopefully, in the short term we can build a big gap between 6th and 7th and secure our play off position, whilst using January to May to try and hunt down the top 2.

Leee Leee Leee Bowyer.
  • Options
    Burton were full geared at us they were flat out I don’t think there was anything left for them to find in the reserves

Us on the other hand were in 3rd gear at best all night it was a poor showing but you felt if the formation or players put their foot down we could score and we did

Button weren’t great they certainly wasn’t poor very much a mid table 3 division side
  • Options

We made them look like Dortmund, I truly think they are the best side we have played this season by a mile and I'm surprised they aren't fighting for promotion. Classic smash and grab so we will take it.

I think this side is a promotion side, winning when we are crap, got two goal scorers capable of 20+ and we feel like a side again with a lot of comradery.

Everyone was solid, special mentions to Pearce and Sarr, my only real critiques are that Lapslie is very raw, over hits passes and he rushes too much, when he works on those he will be a special player for us though and Fosu was pants. It's not all bad as we know there is a player in there and it keeps other teams from sniffing but he needs to step his game up. Lastly Cullen, we miss him big time. Bielik was poor in his role tonight imo and is clearly a centre back

Burton were the better team, that's for sure; not that great though in my opinion. They had 16 corners and I don't recall them threatening from one of them! I also think Clough got it right tactically, in that he set up to exploit our system that seems to give opponents far too much space and that our (current fit) players look uncomfortable with.

Agree about the camaraderie in the team though. The reaction of all the players when Pearce got the winner was immense.
    Well if they had our strikers it could have been 5 nil to them, just luckily whenever they did pull the trigger it was a weak shot or Steer did well, Steer was brilliant might even deserve man of the match.
  • Options
    Did anyone else in the seated section pay attention to Taylor's antics towards the lino? Comedy gold. Called him a fkn prick, shit c u next Tuesday and obviously put on a show when he had to collect the ball near his feet. Also there was a moment when we were closing down and as he ran towards their number 14 he was barking at him to put him off
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    makes up for points dropped, dilemma is what do we do saturday, tough trips in the league next 2 pompey and blackpool, do we play a weak side in cup?.
  • Options
    Makes a change us being dominated and nicking a result rather then the other way round. Great result
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I suspect we will play a half and half team on Saturday with a strong bench. The question is will Doncaster, who are up there with us, do the same?
  • Options
    edited November 2018

I suspect we will play a half and half team on Saturday with a strong bench. The question is will Doncaster, who are up there with us, do the same?

Wonder if its time they did a Wimbledon style draw with Cup Competitions where you can see who your route to the Final would be - Might see teams taking it more seriously if they know they've an easier route to the latter rounds or if they've got a big tie at some point
  • Options

Burton were full geared at us they were flat out I don’t think there was anything left for them to find in the reserves

Us on the other hand were in 3rd gear at best all night it was a poor showing but you felt if the formation or players put their foot down we could score and we did

Button weren’t great they certainly wasn’t poor very much a mid table 3 division side

Commentators made an excellent point at one stage by saying that Burton now have 10 days off before their next game as they got knocked out of the FA Cup - that must have had a impact on how they were able to play at a higher gear surely.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

At the game.

Despite the horrible weather for most of the day it relented a couple of hours before kick off and the pitch held up well.

No doubt like most of the travelling faithfull first visit to the modern Pirelli stadium with its three identical stands just 15 rows deep and the larger main stand housing all the corporate stuff.

We wore our main strip with he home side in yellow and black. Diamond formation with changes from Brissle, Sarr in at LB, Solly to RB, Fosu for Ward at the tip and Taylor for Ajose.

Burton were in the ascendancy from the off as we seemed to struggle to get a foothold to create something. Midfield offered little protection to a solid back line who were tested to the max as the evening wore on. It seemed like a yellow knife through jam through the centre until they got to the lumpy bits in the shape of the BFG and Captain Fantastic.

Our full backs were also on the back foot but Sarr stuck to his guns with block after block as did Solly albeit in reverse gear too much for my liking.

Lapslie was his usual energetic self as was Aribo. Bielik is no Cullen at the base but stuck at it. Fosu struggled to impose himself and create something for the front two who fed on scraps nearly all night.

Burton are no mugs and showed no ill effects of their injury ravaged squad or the beating up at Blackpool on Saturday. Their league position on this showing is completely false. A good footballing side from front to back who play fast possession football.

Enter the referee (we always get sh1t refs) he only needed a yellow top to go with his black shorts! Every decision seemed to go for the home team in the opening half hour despite similar offences against us being ignored. And then to cap it all he gives a pen to the angst of the away support who let him know about his obvious sexual pleasures; 0-1 to the Brewers.

We seemed spurred on for a while and countered with Grant being upended and blow me the ref only gave us a pen must've been a pang of concience! Taylor to take? No! Up stepped Grant to just squeeze it inside the the post; phew 1-1 and HT.

Second period was a bit better from us but the back line still bore the brunt of The Brewers attacking play. Corner after corner and balls forward dealt with admirably and when on target Steer saved well. Our one glorious chance fell to Lapslie who again from 8 yards failed to convert. How his boss would have licked his lips at that chance on a plate.

The longer the game went on the more accepting I became for a point but all the time you are hoping to nick one. And so it came to pass with a rare corner taken by Ward, on for Bielik, drilled to the crowded penalty spot. Too many bodies to see who flicked it on but Pearce was there at the far stick to force it home to send the larger than normal midweek away following, up northish (great support all night), into raptures.

Classic smash and grab we'll play better and lose and Burton will play worse and win but that's football folks. Winning games like this are crucial if you want promotion GET IN THERE!

Yellow knife through jam? More like a hot knife through butter!
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

How many times have we seen us dominate teams only to be caught by a sucker punch. It was own turn to pick a pocket or two tonight. Not pretty to watch but ultimately worth the €6 :smiley:

Yes, Coventry is a prime example. Played them off the park and got beat.
  • Options
    Breakfast in Burton before heading back. A win is a win, however a point would have been a fair result. The pen to them was a disgrace, so it did make me wonder if the ref evened it up by giving us to them (Hard to tell from the other end)

Steer was fantastic, the save when he pushed it onto the bar was different class. The back four in general were fairly solid and the front 2 played well but the midfield were overrun. That diamond formation did not work and put unnecessary pressure on the full backs. Surprised that was not altered.

Onwards and upwards!
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

sm said:

Highlights up on Sky - Karlan's penalty was none too convincing.

More convincing than some of Lyle's however!
    .....in that it went in!
    Not sure about for country but for us he's scored than he's missed.

Also we've had 3 different penalty scorers......not just takers, but scorers. When was the last time that's happened ??(baring penalty shoot outs obviously)
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

RedChaser said:

At the game.

Despite the horrible weather for most of the day it relented a couple of hours before kick off and the pitch held up well.

No doubt like most of the travelling faithfull first visit to the modern Pirelli stadium with its three identical stands just 15 rows deep and the larger main stand housing all the corporate stuff.

We wore our main strip with he home side in yellow and black. Diamond formation with changes from Brissle, Sarr in at LB, Solly to RB, Fosu for Ward at the tip and Taylor for Ajose.

Burton were in the ascendancy from the off as we seemed to struggle to get a foothold to create something. Midfield offered little protection to a solid back line who were tested to the max as the evening wore on. It seemed like a yellow knife through jam through the centre until they got to the lumpy bits in the shape of the BFG and Captain Fantastic.

Our full backs were also on the back foot but Sarr stuck to his guns with block after block as did Solly albeit in reverse gear too much for my liking.

Lapslie was his usual energetic self as was Aribo. Bielik is no Cullen at the base but stuck at it. Fosu struggled to impose himself and create something for the front two who fed on scraps nearly all night.

Burton are no mugs and showed no ill effects of their injury ravaged squad or the beating up at Blackpool on Saturday. Their league position on this showing is completely false. A good footballing side from front to back who play fast possession football.

Enter the referee (we always get sh1t refs) he only needed a yellow top to go with his black shorts! Every decision seemed to go for the home team in the opening half hour despite similar offences against us being ignored. And then to cap it all he gives a pen to the angst of the away support who let him know about his obvious sexual pleasures; 0-1 to the Brewers.

We seemed spurred on for a while and countered with Grant being upended and blow me the ref only gave us a pen must've been a pang of concience! Taylor to take? No! Up stepped Grant to just squeeze it inside the the post; phew 1-1 and HT.

Second period was a bit better from us but the back line still bore the brunt of The Brewers attacking play. Corner after corner and balls forward dealt with admirably and when on target Steer saved well. Our one glorious chance fell to Lapslie who again from 8 yards failed to convert. How his boss would have licked his lips at that chance on a plate.

The longer the game went on the more accepting I became for a point but all the time you are hoping to nick one. And so it came to pass with a rare corner taken by Ward, on for Bielik, drilled to the crowded penalty spot. Too many bodies to see who flicked it on but Pearce was there at the far stick to force it home to send the larger than normal midweek away following, up northish (great support all night), into raptures.

Classic smash and grab we'll play better and lose and Burton will play worse and win but that's football folks. Winning games like this are crucial if you want promotion GET IN THERE!

Yellow knife through jam? More like a hot knife through butter!
    I thought about butter but discounted it because they play in yellow and it wouldn't have been noticeable. Also we were in red - strawberry jam.......get it :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Redrobo said:

sm said:

Highlights up on Sky - Karlan's penalty was none too convincing.

More convincing than some of Lyle's however!
    .....in that it went in!
    Not sure about for country but for us he's scored than he's missed.

Also we've had 3 different penalty scorers......not just takers, but scorers. When was the last time that's happened ??(baring penalty shoot outs obviously)
    4 if you count Stevenson's effort in the Micky Mouse Cup.
  • Options
    I thought the referee wasn’t bad. The assistant in front of us was terrible though, some awful decisions, which from the seating area we could see perfectly!
  • Options
    That 2-2 with Luton is now looking a lot better, theyre on fire right now.
  • Options
    It is nice getting a kick up the backside but not having to pay for it with lost points. performance levels have dipped and we have to push them in the other direction.
  • Options
    Grant now just two off the top now... ahead of both Godden and Cummings who had blistering starts to the season!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/league-one/top-scorers
  • Options
    Third game in a row we've played a team in yellow. 3 wins.
  • Options
    Great win although if we play the next two in the form that we have played the last two we’ll get thumped. But winning ugly is a great habit. Since when did we start getting penalties? Barely had any last season and we’ve had about ten already or so it seems this time!
  • Options

Great win although if we play the next two in the form that we have played the last two we’ll get thumped. But winning ugly is a great habit. Since when did we start getting penalties? Barely had any last season and we’ve had about ten already or so it seems this time!

I think we should go for a draw against Doncaster so that the Portsmouth game gets put back further

Bowyer has said that we struggled last night because the players had put in such a shift against Bristol Rovers on Saturday - they're going to need to do something similar to beat Blackpool at the moment so wont have the energy to beat Portsmouth as well a few days later
  • Options

I think we should go for a draw against Doncaster so that the Portsmouth game gets put back further

Bowyer has said that we struggled last night because the players had put in such a shift against Bristol Rovers on Saturday - they're going to need to do something similar to beat Blackpool at the moment so wont have the energy to beat Portsmouth as well a few days later
    I didn’t think we worked especially hard against Brizzle, indeed I thought we played in 3rd gear!

We’re not played giants with massive squads, I bet Burton had just as hard a match on Saturday as we did and they have plenty of injuries too