Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Team Summer 2019 -ICC World Cup and Ashes etc

Comments

• Aussies got 43 runs as those last 8 wickets fell , which coincidentally are the best bowling figures of Bob Willis , also at Headingley in 1981 against our Antipodean friends
    An outrage it’s still called “Bothams test”, sure he pulled the test out of the jaws of defeat, but Willis won the game, the end was far from certain. 
  • Well done Joe Root.
     He takes so much  stick as a captain from social media including CL.
    Geoff Boycott was doing his usual about Archer bowling from the wrong end or being over bowled.  Maybe if England could bat for a day and a half, Archer could have a rest.  
  • He's on a hat-trick! Bet he's dying to get out there!
  • He really is a special talent.  I just hope we don't burn him out
  • By the way, there have been examples of hat-tricks taken in three different overs, but has there ever been a hat-trick taken in three different SPELLS? 
  • Not 3 spells but Merv Hughes once took a wicket with final ball of an over, then first ball of his next over to end the innings and then first ball of the 2nd innings the next day. 

So the hat trick was in 3 different overs spread over 2 days. 
  • Yeah that's the one I was thinking of. But if Archer gets a wicket with his first ball, it will be across three spells...
  • Watching the C5 highlights seems bizarre that Archer is used to bowling uphill as he does that at Sussex against the breeze

Join Kent lad, you can have whichever end you like!
  • Rudders22 said:
    Despite the wheather this has been a great days cricket 
    Don't tell John that !!

Very true, I watched the finale and it was a great end to the day. During the day it was frustrating as I normally have in the background on my phone while I work, still annoying stop / start, the previous test hacked me off too.

Well pleased for Archer , although not sure they were out for the 5th wicket but he deserved it overall and has been our best bowler with Broad, it does feel like he is being overbowled though.

Lets hope our batters can kick in now, get 1 on the board for the series. Set up nicely..

• Covering the ground of a cricket pitch with a roof would transform conditions in a really negative way. plus there’s the financial side, some counties have almost gone under trying to fix up their stadiums to test standard, which are then mostly empty for most county games.

definitely think pink ball is a good idea, but how many 16-80 over old pink balls do you think are hanging around for the umpires to choose? 
    There is a new Dukes ball being used in this Ashes series - the seam is bigger on the new ball compared to the normal ball.

It might have been during the Lord's Test that the commentators were discussing the ball and it was mentioned that there have been about 600 balls made (all by hand) for use in this series, a number of which would have been "knocked in" to act as replacements if the one in use goes out of shape.

If a Test was to be played with pink balls or, in the event of bad light, a switch from red to pink was made, I'm sure there would be a suitable supply of pink balls made and "prepared" to simulate variously aged balls.

In Australia I suppose they use 40-grit sandpaper to simulate a 60-over ball, 360-grit for a 10-over ball ...

Re your point re new Dukes ball, it was interesting to hear Michael Vaughans comments re 2005 Ashes, in that they explicitly selected a batch of Duke balls from 2/3 seasons earlier for that Ashes series because the ball swung more that season and they thought it might give England an advantage.

Marginal gains etc.

• Sponsored links:

• Covering the ground of a cricket pitch with a roof would transform conditions in a really negative way. plus there’s the financial side, some counties have almost gone under trying to fix up their stadiums to test standard, which are then mostly empty for most county games.

definitely think pink ball is a good idea, but how many 16-80 over old pink balls do you think are hanging around for the umpires to choose? 
    There is a new Dukes ball being used in this Ashes series - the seam is bigger on the new ball compared to the normal ball.

It might have been during the Lord's Test that the commentators were discussing the ball and it was mentioned that there have been about 600 balls made (all by hand) for use in this series, a number of which would have been "knocked in" to act as replacements if the one in use goes out of shape.

If a Test was to be played with pink balls or, in the event of bad light, a switch from red to pink was made, I'm sure there would be a suitable supply of pink balls made and "prepared" to simulate variously aged balls.

In Australia I suppose they use 40-grit sandpaper to simulate a 60-over ball, 360-grit for a 10-over ball ...

Re your point re new Dukes ball, it was interesting to hear Michael Vaughans comments re 2005 Ashes, in that they explicitly selected a batch of Duke balls from 2/3 seasons earlier for that Ashes series because the ball swung more that season and they thought it might give England an advantage.

Marginal gains etc.

Easier to think like that when you have a top 4 of Strauss, Trescothick, Vaughan and KP!
  • Good day yesterday probably let them get 40 more than they should have with that period when woakes and stokes bowled dross. I'll take tht position though 

Labradorchampagne certainly looks very good.

We should have the best of the conditions to bat in. Really hoping Roy gets a score.
  • I have butterflies for Jason Roy.

He is our established One day opener.

Good luck Jason, you may be in the last chance saloon for your test career.

• Ben18 said:
    Although some posters on here earlier were calling for a spinner to be used I have to say this. 
    Perfect conditions for pace and seam bowling. 
    Root called it correct. 

“Some posters” probably wanted Naby Sarr to turn his arm over too
    French cricket ?
  • I have butterflies for Jason Roy.

He is our established One day opener.

Good luck Jason, you may be in the last chance saloon for your test career.

I agree, its such a shame. Personally I think he is more suited to lower down the order 5/6, he is a bit high risk for tests. I really do hope he has a good innings.
  • End of Roy swinging again outside off... and surely the end of this experiment. Just isnt working
  • edited August 2019
    10-1

Roy c Warner b Hazlewood 9   (edging to slips again wanker).
  • It's absolutely amazing that something so predictable keeps happening and yet the powers that be continue to persist with Jason Roy opening!
  • You can take the man out of the ODI but you can't take the ODI out of the man.

Either move him down the order or put him out of our (Test) misery completely.
  • Sponsored links:

• Root gone. 10-2. Struggling again
  • edited August 2019
    10-2

Root c Warner b Hazlewood 0
  • Rudders22 said:
    That will do. I can watch Eastenders now ! And we don't have to have a nervy bat 
    Erm............ hope Eastenders was good at least!
  • Here we go again
  • If it was a jaffer, you say unlucky.
    All our fears came to fruition.
    No footwork and these Aussie seamers are top notch. 
    And to prove it I look up and Roots retreats to the pavilion.
  • Sigh.
    Tempted to go out for the day than watch another collapse!
  • 74 all out. Burns not out 11. Lump on.
  • Overturned on review.