Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Team Summer 2019 -ICC World Cup and Ashes etc

Comments

• What a catch by Critchley! 

(Sorry, I am prioritising T20 this evening..!)
  • Day 5 tomorrow is a sell out...
  • I wonder what the score in the series would have been by now if Australia's best player (Smith) had been ruled out for the series ours (Anderson) had just missed Headingley and half of Lord's.  
  • Root seems a decent guy and good batsman when in form but far from convinced re his captaincy. I don't believe he is a learner.

But who else is there?
    I would give it to Broad as a stop gap and then hope in a years time someone like Burns is bedded in and ready to take it on. Hes got enough experience and has captained his county team for a few years now including to some success. A bonus is that he doesn't play limited overs cricket so can focus solely on the test side.

I don’t think a front line bowler should be captain. I certainly don’t think Broad is captaincy material
  • Perhaps if they actually played a bit more red ball cricket they would improve. 
  • The amount of Journalism , the debates in all of the cricket fraternity in England, all of the cricket clubs in all of the counties, the endless debate about the openers, Jason Roy and Joe Denly.....

And then our Captain gets a Golden...

🙄
  • BR3red said:
    The amount of Journalism , the debates in all of the cricket fraternity in England, all of the cricket clubs in all of the counties, the endless debate about the openers, Jason Roy and Joe Denly.....

And then our Captain gets a Golden...

🙄
    What excuse did Vaughan come up with this time?
  • I don’t know but I think Alec Stewart said Jason should have gone in at 5 😂
  • Ben18 said:
    Root seems a decent guy and good batsman when in form but far from convinced re his captaincy. I don't believe he is a learner.

But who else is there?
    I would give it to Broad as a stop gap and then hope in a years time someone like Burns is bedded in and ready to take it on. Hes got enough experience and has captained his county team for a few years now including to some success. A bonus is that he doesn't play limited overs cricket so can focus solely on the test side.

I don’t think a front line bowler should be captain. I certainly don’t think Broad is captaincy material
    Usually I'd agree. But I don't think there is any other option. As a short term stop gap option I think it is right. We've seen this series he is capable of leading. Also he only plays red ball stuff so no distractions and is always going to come into a series fresh.

Root came into this series seeming like he was tired and hasn't got any better.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2019
    Ben18 said:
    Root seems a decent guy and good batsman when in form but far from convinced re his captaincy. I don't believe he is a learner.

But who else is there?

I certainly wouldn't leave him in sole charge of our DRS reviews.

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Funny how when you get 300 plus your more unlikely to loose. 
    Funny how when you are 0/2 your more likely to loose. 
  • Let's face it. The whole difference between the sides has been Smith. He turns the game on its head when he gets in.

You start to think we have a sniff and he blows the game away.As an Englishman it's as frustrating as it is predictable He keeps doing it!

The rest of the Aussies bar maybe Cummings are no great shakes either.

Hazelwood and Labuschagne haven’t been too shabby either.

Agree that Smith has been the difference though-he has ruined the Ashes as a contest and will 100% get another shedload at the Oval next time out which is traditionally flatter. The next two or three Ashes series are f*cked too if he stays fit because we have absolutely no idea how to get him out-Root changed the field every ball today whilst he was at the crease.
  • Ben18 said:

But who else is there?

Usually I'd agree. But I don't think there is any other option. As a short term stop gap option I think it is right. We've seen this series he is capable of leading. Also he only plays red ball stuff so no distractions and is always going to come into a series fresh.

What about giving Ben Stokes a go as captain.
  • Burns, Root, Stokes, Broad, Archer and Woakes are the ones we need to build a team around, and Anderson if fit.

Foakes deserves another chance as keeper.

Denly and Roy aren't good enough, and the jury is well and truly out on Bairstow, Buttler and Leach.
    Roy definitely, but i think Denly deserves more time.

In the last test he top scored in the first innings (ok i'm joking, as i know he only got 12), but he batted for a while in the 2nd innings and got 50. His 'reward' was to be pushed up the order just so we could accommodate Roy. For me he deserves a bit more time and to get used to the role at 4.
  • Ben18 said:

But who else is there?

We don't want to ruin the form of our best player?!
  • I can feel it. Today's the day Jason Roy announces himself on the test cricket stage with a double century to guide England to an incredible victory !

Either that or we'll be all out by lunch! 
  • I can feel it. Today's the day Jason Roy announces himself on the test cricket stage with a double century to guide England to an incredible victory !

Either that or we'll be all out by lunch! 

What did you have for breakfast?
  • The issue for me is, if England try to stay in for the day they almost certainly won't. Their best chance for me is to go for their shots and try to win it. This would still only give them a 10% chance IMO and they will get criticised for it. So what we will see is them batting not to get out and not lasting very long.
  • Ben18 said:

But who else is there?

We don't want to ruin the form of our best player?!

I think most test match countries, have one of there best players as captain, I just think Joe Root is too close to some of the players, where Ben Stokes looks more like a leader, up to this season I would not have wanted Stokes, but he seems to have matured a lot now
  • Sponsored links:

• Ben Stokes can become one of England's all-time great players, on a par with Ian Botham, Andrew Flintoff, David Gower and Harold Gimblett.  But could he be on a par with England's greatest captain, Mike Brearley?  I don't think so.  

In part, because, if Stokes were to take over now, he'd have a badly-performing group of players, some of whom are good enough, but entering the last seasons of their careers (Anderson, Broad, Denly), some of whom aren't good enough (Roy, Overton, Overton, Curran, Curran) and only very few that are clearly both young enough and good enough (Burns, Woakes, Archer).  For Stokes' reputation and legacy as a cricketer to remain intact, he should be overlooked as captain until the talent chasms in the England team are filled.  If England can find another opener, two world-class, top order batsmen and like-for-like replacements for Broad and Anderson, then Ben Stokes would have a great chance to be a great captain.  (But, in those circumstances, so would I).  

If Root's days as captain are numbered - and, with an incoming coach, maybe next month is the time to make that change - then Stokes should be considered and rejected, in favour of Rory Burns.  But if the missing jigsaw pieces are found, Stokes could still be a great captain.  Because he's already a great winner. 
  • Roy is half the player when he plays cautiously.
  • Roy is half the player when he plays cautiously.
    Blimey
  • Do like how Denly plays Lyon.
  • The issue for me is, if England try to stay in for the day they almost certainly won't. Their best chance for me is to go for their shots and try to win it. This would still only give them a 10% chance IMO and they will get criticised for it. So what we will see is them batting not to get out and not lasting very long.

Winzip currently have us at 1% to win & 37% a draw. I'd say the draw atm is no more than 25%. 
  • I was thinking earlier whether Root should have sent in a night watchman for himself. I know he hasn't really been in form but he has stuck around before & I'd be happier having him there atm than Roy. 

Also, seeing as there was only 30 mins or so last night would it have been daft to just send in 2 nightwatchmen from the start  ??. Leech & Overton perhaps...??  1 commentator yesterday (Warne ?) was suggesting sending Roy out as opener & telling him just to tee off......maybe get some quick runs on the board or simply to disrupt their bowlers. Something different than just sending in the openers & losing them before the close of play.
  • I know test cricket is not everyones cup of tea, but I find the situation in this game fascinating 
  • Poor wicket to give away 
  • What were we taught as kids when batting?

Keep bat and pat together.

You could've driv a bus between Roy's bat and pad on that delivery.
  • A shame as Roy had been playing well. Cummins is a superb bowler, but Roy has a massive weakness there.