Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Team Summer 2019 -ICC World Cup and Ashes etc

Comments

• Overton given out lbw, but decision reversed on review, as impact outside the line.
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    No Chizz the point is that bad light may well come into play so then the time of the last hour wouldn't matter.

Although the main point is we'll be long gone by then anyway.
    There is no chance whatsoever that England would be able to waste enough time during the day for bad light to deprive the Australians of any overs.  There are 48 overs left.  That's about three hours' worth of play.  Lose twenty minutes for Tea and the last over will have been bowled well before 7pm.  And it's the sunniest, brightest day of the Test match. 

Wasting time won't reduce the number of overs bowled. 
    Then why are the commentators (sky and bbc) and bbc live text all commenting on the light every 5 mins.
    I haven't heard the commentators on Sky mention light once. Right now, I'm watching a replay of an lbw shout in bright sunshine, given by an umpire wearing sunglasses. 
    Last drinks break sky showed the light meter being taken by the 4th umpire Rob Bailey and going into one of the standing umpires pockets.
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    No Chizz the point is that bad light may well come into play so then the time of the last hour wouldn't matter.

There is no chance whatsoever that England would be able to waste enough time during the day for bad light to deprive the Australians of any overs.  There are 48 overs left.  That's about three hours' worth of play.  Lose twenty minutes for Tea and the last over will have been bowled well before 7pm.  And it's the sunniest, brightest day of the Test match. 

I know you don't really believe a lot of what you say, but we all know they won't be bowling 16 overs an hour.
    That's why I calculated it at less than 16 overs per hour.  At 15 per hour from now, even with 20 minutes for Tea, they would still finish BEFORE 7pm.  And at 7pm, if they're still playing, the light will still be good enough to play.  

If you think that England wasting time will mean fewer overs will be bowled, can we agree to disagree? Because it won't.
    So do you disagree with the maths of my calculation ?

Alternatively, are you saying that as the day progresses, the Aussies will start bowling more overs per hour than they have so far ?
    Sorry Covered End, I didn't see any calculation you made. I'm sure it would have been right. 
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

I know you don't really believe a lot of what you say, but we all know they won't be bowling 16 overs an hour.
    That's why I calculated it at less than 16 overs per hour.  At 15 per hour from now, even with 20 minutes for Tea, they would still finish BEFORE 7pm.  And at 7pm, if they're still playing, the light will still be good enough to play.  

If you think that England wasting time will mean fewer overs will be bowled, can we agree to disagree? Because it won't.
    So do you disagree with the maths of my calculation ?

Alternatively, are you saying that as the day progresses, the Aussies will start bowling more overs per hour than they have so far ?
    Sorry Covered End, I didn't see any calculation you made. I'm sure it would have been right. 
    No worries. I'll do another for you :-)
  • What a load of faff that was. I was shouting at the screen...."go to ball tracking....it might be outside off or going over the top" instead of spending ages trying to see if there was an edge.
  • What a load of faff that was. I was shouting at the screen...."go to ball tracking....it might be outside off or going over the top" instead of spending ages trying to see if there was an edge.
    Wasted time though, eh @Chizz
    Massive edge. If I was batting that's as close as I come to middling it.
  • What time are they taking tea?
  • Chizz said:
    And for context today the last hour starts after the 90th over has been bowled in this innings. 83 today plus the 7 yesterday. We are in the 61st as I type. Loads left today.
    44 overs left today.  If fewer overs are bowled it will be for one of three reasons.  England have won, Australia have won, or both teams agree to call off the game as a draw, half-way through the last fifteen overs.  It won't be because Craig Overton has to do up his shoelaces several times. 

If Australia fail to win, it will be because they run out of overs, not light. 
    It will be interesting to see if it got to 7.15pm & the light got a bit dodgy whether the light meters would come out .precedence has been set at the level recorded & when they went off previously. Not that I think it will go that far.....but I've not seen another Test match played in near darkness since that Pakistan match.  
  • Here we go again I’m not gonna be able to move again ....
    this will be a miracle beyond if we survive this 
    prayers to the cricket gods 
  • Sponsored links:

• The Aussies are today taking 4.423 mins to bowl an over.
    The England innings started today on 7 overs.
    So 57 overs have been bowled today, so a further 26 overs need to be bowled, before "the final hour/15 overs".
    26 overs will take 115 mins at the same rate = 5.50pm.
    Add on 20 mins for tea, takes us to 6.10pm.
    So the final hour/15 overs will probably finish around 7.15pm.
    I think I'm right in saying that rain or bad light has ensured play has never ended that late, in this Test match. 
  • Cruising along to a comfortable draw.
    Stop worrying everyone. 
    So 57 overs have been bowled today, so a further 26 overs need to be bowled, before "the final hour/15 overs".
    I think I'm right in saying that rain or bad light has ensured play has never ended that late, in this Test match. 
    So do you agree with me, that England wasting tine will not reduce the number of overs bowled? 
  • Cruising along to a comfortable draw.
    Stop worrying everyone. 

This is where I have a  problem with overs lost being made up in future days play......and at the end of the day at that. 

Went off early on the first couple of days when the Aussies were batting......and now we could be batting in poor light. Not exactly fair & equitable. Should go into an extra day......or build in a rest day like they used to & could use that. Aussies didnt have to bat in poor light on day 1 & then able to come out in pure daylight at 11am. 
  • Played Overton. Think we’re going to fall just short.
  • Minimum of 36 overs left. 
  • Chizz said:
    The Aussies are today taking 4.423 mins to bowl an over.
    So do you agree with me, that England wasting tine will not reduce the number of overs bowled? 
    Assuming England are not all out, no I don't agree with you and I have twice proved why you are wrong.
    If the "final hour/15 overs" starts later than my predicted 6.10pm, let's say we waste 10 mins and it starts at 6.20pm.
    Play would have to go on until 7.25pm and it won't , because it would be too dark.

Maybe I'm wrong and you are saying the rules state they will continue playing even when it's dark ?
  • Shut up Blackpool72. Stop jinxing it. !! I am not even watching it as I can't watch us collapsing all the time. 
  • Good effort this by Buttler & Overton, we still have a chance of saving it.
  • Sponsored links:

• If only Burns and Root had stuck around we'd be comfortable here.
  • Think tea has come at a bad time.  The 2 guys in were looking comfortable.  Now they'll have to regroup & reset
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

Then why are the commentators (sky and bbc) and bbc live text all commenting on the light every 5 mins.
    I haven't heard the commentators on Sky mention light once. Right now, I'm watching a replay of an lbw shout in bright sunshine, given by an umpire wearing sunglasses. 

You light up my life
  • Chizz said:
    Assuming England are not all out, no I don't agree with you and I have twice proved why you are wrong.
    If the "final hour/15 overs" starts later than my predicted 6.10pm, let's say we waste 10 mins and it starts at 6.20pm.
    Play would have to go on until 7.25pm and it won't , because it would be too dark.

Maybe I'm wrong and you are saying the rules state they will continue playing even when it's dark ?
    I'm very confident that we won't lost over from this match thanks to England wasting time. Mainly because it's an overs game as opposed to a timed game. But also because I don't think the umpires will allow England to waste ten minutes over the next two hours. I'm happy for you not to agree with me. 

• The new ball will finish us if we make it that far.
  • Chizz said:

As I said above, they did back in Pakistan when Hussain was captain (early 2000's ?) but recently once a meter reading has been taken on a?previous day ten that's the point where they will come off. In Pakistan it was because Pakistan were bowling their overs really slowly......which is the opposite here 

All a moot point I fear though. I reckon done & dusted by 5.20.
  • Only 2 wickets lost per session so far. Same again will do!
  • Ssshhh…..
  • The new ball will finish us if we make it that far.
    That 'like' is an 'I agree' rather than 'like' just to be clear!
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

I'm very confident that we won't lost over from this match thanks to England wasting time. Mainly because it's an overs game as opposed to a timed game. But also because I don't think the umpires will allow England to waste ten minutes over the next two hours. I'm happy for you not to agree with me. 

Well you've changed tact now.
    Anyway, you haven't replied.
    Are you saying the rules state on the final day, it's an overs game, so play must continue in the dark, in order to complete the 98 overs ?

Buttler b Hazlewood 34

172-7