Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Team Summer 2019 -ICC World Cup and Ashes etc

Comments

• Could have driven a bus through that "gate".
  • edited September 2019
    66-3

Roy 31 b Cummins
  • I can feel it. Today's the day Joe Denly announces himself on the test cricket stage with a double century to guide England to an incredible victory !
  • I can feel it. Today's the day Joe Denly announces himself on the test cricket stage with a double century to guide England to an incredible victory !
    A win is totally out the question. Only just made it when we needed 200....and had 2 days left to do it. Trying to get 350 on a wearing pitch when our batting collapses like a pack of cards is just not going to happen. 
  • Stokes out for 1.

Game over?
  • Game over. Was about to post that lightening doesn't strike twice & not to rely on Stokes getting us out of trouble again. 

Over before tea.
  • 74-4

Stokes 1 c Paine b Cummins
  • Here comes another walking "gate"
  • That's that then
  • How many overs left in the day? 80 or so?
  • Sponsored links:

• We need the dark satanic mills to start up again and cover the ground in smog
    I don't care if there's another 50-60 overs of these, as long as there aren't another 6 Ws ...
  • Chizz said:
    Ben Stokes can become one of England's all-time great players, on a par with Ian Botham, Andrew Flintoff, David Gower and Harold Gimblett.  But could he be on a par with England's greatest captain, Mike Brearley?  I don't think so.  

In part, because, if Stokes were to take over now, he'd have a badly-performing group of players, some of whom are good enough, but entering the last seasons of their careers (Anderson, Broad, Denly), some of whom aren't good enough (Roy, Overton, Overton, Curran, Curran) and only very few that are clearly both young enough and good enough (Burns, Woakes, Archer).  For Stokes' reputation and legacy as a cricketer to remain intact, he should be overlooked as captain until the talent chasms in the England team are filled.  If England can find another opener, two world-class, top order batsmen and like-for-like replacements for Broad and Anderson, then Ben Stokes would have a great chance to be a great captain.  (But, in those circumstances, so would I).  

If Root's days as captain are numbered - and, with an incoming coach, maybe next month is the time to make that change - then Stokes should be considered and rejected, in favour of Rory Burns.  But if the missing jigsaw pieces are found, Stokes could still be a great captain.  Because he's already a great winner. 

I agree with you about Mike Brearley, best captain I have seen for England, but Mike had years as captain of Middlesex, he got the England job, as Ian Botham had not done a good job as captain, I am surprised you say Sam Curran is not good enough for England at 21, with years of cricket ahead of him he will get better with experience, I think he is pretty good now, man of the match in one test last summer, I would not write Tom Curran off at 24, he has had some injuries in the last 2 seasons, but I think will come back stronger.

I would give the captain's job to Ben Stokes over Rory Burns or Stuart Broad

A win is totally out the question. Only just made it when we needed 200....and had 2 days left to do it. Trying to get 350 on a wearing pitch when our batting collapses like a pack of cards is just not going to happen. 
    Of course.  This was more a tongue in cheek follow up from my earlier comment
  • Chizz said:
    Ben Stokes can become one of England's all-time great players, on a par with Ian Botham, Andrew Flintoff, David Gower and Harold Gimblett.  But could he be on a par with England's greatest captain, Mike Brearley?  I don't think so.  

In part, because, if Stokes were to take over now, he'd have a badly-performing group of players, some of whom are good enough, but entering the last seasons of their careers (Anderson, Broad, Denly), some of whom aren't good enough (Roy, Overton, Overton, Curran, Curran) and only very few that are clearly both young enough and good enough (Burns, Woakes, Archer).  For Stokes' reputation and legacy as a cricketer to remain intact, he should be overlooked as captain until the talent chasms in the England team are filled.  If England can find another opener, two world-class, top order batsmen and like-for-like replacements for Broad and Anderson, then Ben Stokes would have a great chance to be a great captain.  (But, in those circumstances, so would I).  

If Root's days as captain are numbered - and, with an incoming coach, maybe next month is the time to make that change - then Stokes should be considered and rejected, in favour of Rory Burns.  But if the missing jigsaw pieces are found, Stokes could still be a great captain.  Because he's already a great winner. 

I agree with you about Mike Brearley, best captain I have seen for England, but Mike had years as captain of Middlesex, he got the England job, as Ian Botham had not done a good job as captain, I am surprised you say Sam Curran is not good enough for England at 21, with years of cricket ahead of him he will get better with experience, I think he is pretty good now, man of the match in one test last summer, I would not write Tom Curran off at 24, he has had some injuries in the last 2 seasons, but I think will come back stronger.

I am more swayed by what's best for Ben Stokes.  I don't think being given the captaincy of a failing, ageing, fault-full England team is in his best interest. Fill the obvious gaps in the team and he might prove to be a very good captain.  But the gaps are so huge, I don't think it would be fair on England's best player to have that heaped on him too. 
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

I am more swayed by what's best for Ben Stokes.  I don't think being given the captaincy of a failing, ageing, fault-full England team is in his best interest. Fill the obvious gaps in the team and he might prove to be a very good captain.  But the gaps are so huge, I don't think it would be fair on England's best player to have that heaped on him too. 
    Who would you give the capacity to Chizz.
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

and could you provide some statistical evidence to back up your choice 😏. 
  • Denly gets his 50. Keep going
  • Sponsored links:

• I really hope Leach comes in before Archer & Broad.
  • Well done Joe Denly.  Keep going!
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

It's in my initial post
  • edited September 2019
    Denly c Labuschagne b Lyon 53

93-5
  • Denly gone for 53 93-5
  • edited September 2019
     do well to make tea 
  • Balls
    Sadly not No Balls though
  • Why put the mockers on in cricket? I guess it’s part and parcel of what makes a cricket fan but you can see it coming every time