Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Team Summer 2019 -ICC World Cup and Ashes etc

Comments

• Leach progressing to 11, whereas at the other end the nightwatchman Burns has struggled to 3
    The nightwatchman Burns is out, but he lasted 45 minutes which isn't too bad
  • edited July 2019
    PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    Leach to open!

Did you expect him not to this morning Paddy?
    Well, it might solve England's problems at the top of the order...
    The point AA was making was we batted again last night, Leach and Burns opened.
    Leach seriously looks better than Burns.
  • Leach now top scorer so far for England in the match
  • Whilst this is obviously a complete embarrassment, it's only really half our side.

Stokes, Buttler, Archer and Rashid will all come into the side for the Ashes won't they? Is Anderson going to make it, as i know Wood is injured and likely to miss the first 2 tests?
    I bloody hope Rashid doesn’t, not a test match bowler. I wouldn’t even bother playing a spinner. 

Probably not at Edgbaston.
    Moeen might get a game given that it's his own back yard.
  • LenGlover said:
    Whilst this is obviously a complete embarrassment, it's only really half our side.

Stokes, Buttler, Archer and Rashid will all come into the side for the Ashes won't they? Is Anderson going to make it, as i know Wood is injured and likely to miss the first 2 tests?
    I bloody hope Rashid doesn’t, not a test match bowler. I wouldn’t even bother playing a spinner. 

Depends what you mean by his own back yard.
    He left Warwick for Worcester in 2006.
  • Jack Leach's last eight first class matches, batting scores: 

1 and 0
    3* and 2*

5* and 5
    0 and 9 

He's currently England highest-scoring Test batsman this season. 
  • edited July 2019
    LenGlover said:
    Whilst this is obviously a complete embarrassment, it's only really half our side.

Depends what you mean by his own back yard.
    He left Warwick for Worcester in 2006.
    I meant he knows the ground and area as a Brummy and former Warwickshire player himself and probably feels more at home at Edgbaston than other test grounds as a result.
  • Chizz said:
    Jack Leach's last eight first class matches, batting scores: 

1 and 0
    3* and 2*

5* and 5
    0 and 9 

He's currently England highest-scoring Test batsman this season. 
    Update.  England's newest opener has now scored more than twice as many Test runs as any other England player, this Summer. 
  • 50 for our new opener
  • His top FC score is 66.

Average around 10!
  • Sponsored links:

• 122-1 at lunch.

The scores are level 9 wickets in hand to set a target or get bowled out!
  • Must be horrible conditions to play in, especially bowling and fielding, but think Leach and Roy have shown how utterly abject a batting performance that was yesterday
  • Must be horrible conditions to play in, especially bowling and fielding, but think Leach and Roy have shown how utterly abject a batting performance that was yesterday
    They have, especially Leach, doubt anyone would have even considered the fact he could be there at lunch. But it's a different pitch, yesterday is still a huge concern. 
    It was, but the pitch was green yesterday. 
    No hint of green today.
    It was, but the pitch was green yesterday. 
    No hint of green today.

I think our batsmen were green as well yesterday
  • PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    Leach to open!

I wonder what they do if Leach gets a century?
    What do you reckon? Probably wont get a better chance in his career to notch his name on the Lords board.
  • Why was lunch taken at 1.15 ?
    98 overs in the day (ha ha fat chance!) as it's only a 4 day Test, hence they've extended the hours
    98 overs in the day (ha ha fat chance!) as it's only a 4 day Test, hence they've extended the hours
    Thanks.
  • PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    Leach to open!

I wonder what they do if Leach gets a century?
    What do you reckon? Probably wont get a better chance in his career to notch his name on the Lords board.
    Cant see it myself.
  • Sponsored links:

• =great so they have asked the bowlers to bowl 98 overs in a day on the warmest days on record. 
  • Rudders22 said:
    =great so they have asked the bowlers to bowl 98 overs in a day on the warmest days on record. 
    In fairness, they wouldn't have had an accurate weather forecast several months ago when the match was planned.
  • Leach up to 85* with a glorious extra cover drive.

He's batting well, this lad. He deserves a ton.

I just hope the rest of England's batsmen have been watching how he's gone about his innings.
  • Oh, and England are 169-1, a lead of 47.
  • 171-2 Roy b Thompson 72
  • 171-2

Roy 72
  • England 49 ahead 8 wickets in hand. Denly next presumably unless Root fancies it.
  • There is suddenly quite a lot more cloud about and the players are no longer casting shadows.  It's still (obviously) very hot.  So, I wonder if we will see the ball doing a bit in the warm, humid atmosphere and a clatter of wickets...
  • Joe Denly sits waiting for several hours, I fear a quick exit
  • Joe Denly sits waiting for several hours, I fear a quick exit

Dont start lining up the excuses !